Customer Discussions > Memoir forum

drug memoirs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 145 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2009 1:56:01 PM PDT
jmiller says:
im in recovery& now im addicted 2 reading drug memoirs. ive read all there has offered on amazon. any new suggestions???

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2009 6:10:28 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 28, 2009 6:10:45 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2009 7:12:05 PM PDT
T. Burrows says:
"Save me from myself" By Brian Head Welch -

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 10:21:17 AM PDT
Permanent Midnight by Jerry Stahl (and the movie)

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 1:31:54 PM PDT
S. Rao says:
In Hanuman's Hands by Cheeni Rao :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2009 8:58:48 PM PDT
David Weaver says:
Have you read "Only Mortals Can Be Heroes" by David J. Weaver? It's a fantastic read!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2009 1:23:04 PM PDT
Paul Cook says:
Howdee there JMiller,

I'm not sure how I got here, but I noticed your post. I think you might enjoy my "drug memoir". I'm Paul Cook and my book is called COOKED in LA. 3 wild years ending with a powerful discovery. I hope you are able to check it out. I have been told it is a fast entertaining read. If you read it please let me know your thoughts. The hardcover is onbly 16 bucks on Amazon.

Paul Cook
Cooked in LA

Posted on May 3, 2009 5:13:12 PM PDT
Gary Ryan says:
"Blessings in Disguise/A Tale of Redemption" is an inspiring true story of growing up with a bad attitude and believing drugs and alcohol were the solution to all problems. Not everyone has to go to prison, survive numerous car crashes, fight for their life, and plead for help from someone, something, to finally find their way, but it helps. It puts some zeal into your request, know what I mean? Quite a few people have thanked me and told me it was a very readable story. Writer's love to hear that. There's more on my website; www.garyryan.me .
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 1:17:27 PM PDT
Have you read "Terry" by George McGovern?

Posted on May 4, 2009 1:23:44 PM PDT
Paul Cook says:
I look forward to reading your book Gary. I am sooo with you on the bad attitude thing.

Paul Cook
COOKED in LA

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 1:47:15 PM PDT
Gary Ryan says:
Yes, attitude pretty much determines the quality of life. Quoting Kahlil Gibran; "We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them." For everyone's information, my last radio interview is archived on www.ethicsmattersradio.com, #75. Might be interesting for you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 6:33:24 AM PDT
mdesigner says:
Hi-
My memoir about raising my daughter, a heroin addict, may offer you some insights into addiction. Its called " A Thief in the Family, My Daughters Addiction", and is available on Kindle for download.

Posted on May 13, 2009 6:35:23 AM PDT
mdesigner says:
Hi-
My memoir about raising my daughter, a heroin addict, may offer you some insights into addiction. Its called " A Thief in the Family, My Daughters Addiction", and is available on Kindle for download. It is written from my point of view as the mother - I hate the label of ""Codependent" and would like to see that wiped out of the lexicon of recovery!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 9:28:42 AM PDT
J.V.M. says:
I love the title Mother of Addict. It is a perfect analogy of what drugs can do to a family. I am also a mother of an addict who took his life in 2001. I wrote a book as well, and it's called, Why Whisper? It is not published yet. My story is your story and the only thing different about what death does to a family and what drug abuse by someone you raised, does to a family is, he was mine and she is yours. The message is the same. This world needs a hand grenade and a blow torch to get the message that drugs do nothing for the greater good. I wish you luck with your blow torch and hand grenade. Thanks for the courage it took to share your story!

JVM

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 9:30:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2009 9:30:36 AM PDT
J.V.M. says:
"I hate the label of ""Codependent" and would like to see that wiped out of the lexicon of recovery!"

Why?

JVM

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 10:28:45 AM PDT
Gary Ryan says:
Both my son and step-daughter recovered from drug addiction, and I am a recovered alcoholic; sober over 30-years now. It was an arduous journey but I look upon all of it as worth it for the appreciation and gratitude we now experience every day. People told me our story could be helpful to others so I did write a book, "Blessings in Disguise/A Tale of Redemption" which is available at all bookstores and Amazon.com. Maybe you know someone who needs to know there is a better way.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 12:30:52 PM PDT
J.V.M. says:
There are many who need to know there is a better way, in my own sibling line up. They are too busy pointing fingers at people, places and things to see the ones in the mirror. They will die like that and I am here to tell ya, "I am powerless." Sadly. I can read books about addiction for the rest of my life, and it won't make them stop drinking themselves stupid. Their lives are a mess, and it's all my fault, ask them!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 3:23:07 PM PDT
Gary Ryan says:
Yes, there are those who seem to be lost. We felt that way about our own kids. Our daughter fournd her way after a forced stay at a state woman's prison. Turned out to be a good thing for her. Another year at a Recovery house and she has been clean ever since. Over ten years. My son kept at it a little longer and it was a nightmare. He somehow stayed out of jail and has maybe a year. We prayed a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2009 11:45:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 9, 2009 5:26:01 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2009 5:11:57 PM PDT
Hi, Karla Klear Sky: A Meth Addict's Mother's Memoir and the companion musical CD is a first of its kind. Both prepare parents for the rigors of recovery in a compelling package. Please write a review for Amazon and tell me what you think. All the best, Karla V Garrison
www.karlaklearsky.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2009 5:16:33 PM PDT
Hi, yes, please check out Karla Klear Sky: A Meth Addict's Mother's Memoir and the companion musical CD, a first of its kind combined portrait. It is endorsed by Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, Leonard Pitts Jr. It helps prepare parents for the rigors of recovery in a compelling package. All the best, Karla V Garrison www.karlaklearsky.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2009 5:21:34 PM PDT
No it's not your fault!! Read my book: Karla Klear Sky: A Meth Addict's Mother's Memoir and the companion musical CD, a first of its kind combined portrait. It paints the bigger picture of addiction and will comfort and empower you. Loose that albatross about your neck. Please leave a review on Amazon when you finish and wishing you peace and serenity. Karla V Garrison www.karlaklearsky.com

Posted on Jul 10, 2009 6:40:37 AM PDT
Hello!

"Finding Newmarket" by William Mills is a hidden gem! It is a true story revolving around addiction and demons.

I HIGHLY recomend this book to anyone who has struggled with addiction and or emptieness.

it is a short read, but rumour at the bookstore is that part two is coming out very soon.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 13, 2009 7:19:35 PM PDT
Cracked: Life on the Edge in a Rehab Clinic

When Painkillers Become Dangerous: What Everyone Needs to Know About OxyContin and Other Prescription Drugs

Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, The Complete First Season

Posted on Jul 13, 2009 8:44:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 1, 2010 12:20:05 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Memoir forum (160 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
memoirs by writers and artists 149 Jul 30, 2014
Coming-of-Age Memoir Source 17 Jun 15, 2013
Memoir has sold over 3000 copies this month. 28 May 28, 2013
Wolfhilde's Hitler Youth Diary 1939-1946 - New Book 1 Mar 2, 2013
Memoir: LeavingWayne 0 Feb 24, 2013
When a memoir blends with fiction 84 Feb 21, 2013
What is your favorite memoir? 218 Feb 8, 2013
Memoir regret?? 19 Jan 28, 2013
Please review my book. 1 Jan 12, 2013
drug memoirs 144 Jan 7, 2013
Most satisfying memoirs? 153 Dec 23, 2012
Can't remember the title, grrr! Help? 3 Dec 19, 2012

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Memoir forum
Participants:  81
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions