Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Metal forum

UFO-best album side

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2010 11:53:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2010 11:57:54 PM PDT
I was trying to make a list of ten favorite UFO songs but i got stuck. Most of my UFO is on record so when i got to Force It- side 2-Wow:1.Mother Mary(my favorite song, great lyric and lick,perfect), 2.Too Much of Nothing(cool slow groove,awsome melodic controlled feedback solo), 3.Dance Your Life Away(another memorable Schenker lick), 4.This Kid's (rockin' number), 5.Between the Numbers,ends it ,with a beutiful Schenker instrumental melody -to close the book.

You could argue for Strangers in The Night,Lights Out,Phenomenon,ect.. and truthlfully i never would have thought of Force it,not the most well known songs, but i played, side 2, over and over for a few days and it is a complete statement of what UFO did best, a short story of thier sound.

What's your favorite UFO album side?

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 12:27:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 24, 2010 2:48:21 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 12:51:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2010 1:01:38 AM PDT
Yea i agree with your summary of Lights out side 2, and I also ,love, that they covered, Love-Alone Again Or, totally unexpected (German guitarist,British band in the 70s covering an lesser known 60s American band) and totally cool.

And Schenker's mastery his musicality, his technicality with deep feeling, with unforgettable melody, licks,and timeless songwriting.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 5:46:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2012 7:06:47 AM PDT
music fan says:
Side 1 of Phenomenon:
1. Too Young To Know
2. Crystal Light
3. Doctor Doctor
4. Space Child
5. Rock Bottom

I believe that was the original running order of the album. My cd has Oh My as track #1 which I actually like even better.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 9:56:58 AM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
I do like UFO but I don't own the individual discs. I bought the Chrysalis Years 1 and 2 box sets. My favorite songs:

Love to Love
We Belong to the Night
Rock Bottom
Too Hot to Handle
Lights Out
Doctor Doctor
Let it Roll
Mother Mary
Shoot Shoot
I'm a Loser
Natural Thing

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 11:52:49 PM PDT
UFO will be touring the US this fall! Wish Schenker was with them. My favorite songs are-

1. Rock Bottom
2. Love To Love
3. Shoot Shoot
4. Try Me
5. Lights Out
6. Pack It Up And Go
7. Mother Mary
8. Natural Thing
9. Let It Roll
10. Hot N Ready

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 2:53:14 AM PDT
I LOVE UFO !! simply put that was the band to sink the metal virus into me. I have to go with side A of FORCE IT. having seen them at least 8/9 times. I guess I like this album side because it is heavy and melodic with a great balance. Knowing that UFO always end there shows with "shoot shoot" made me always go home and hear that side just to keep the concert fresh in my mind. I even feel one needs to revisit "walk on water" there supposed come back album it does have some great moments. Having seen that tour and meeting them was also a bonus. The crazy thing was I was talking to Schenker's sister and totally forgot to ask her about her band VIVA and how that was working out. The sad thing is too many younger kids just do not give them the respect that other metal bands that came in the thrash era get.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 6:01:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 6:02:54 AM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
UFO is kind of that great "lost" band. I was myself, late to the UFO game. I bought a Greatest Hits package from them a mere 5 years a go and that kind of started my interest in them. I was surprised to hear how heavy yet melodic they were. Strong vocal melodies, excellent guitar work, and catchy choruses are all over their work. They're one of those bands you feel you should have heard 1,000 times on classic rock radio yet the classic rock station where I grew up completely ignored them. I only discovered them by way of internet browsing. They don't get the attention they deserve in metal magazines, on the radio, or within the hard rock/metal community. They are practically the only band that Eddie Trunk raves about that is actually worth the raving. If I hear that man kissing up to Poison, Billy Squire, KISS, or the latest Mike Portnoy band again I might put my head in a waffle iron. He can talk about UFO all day long.

I don't know if UFO just didn't have the popularity in the USA they enjoyed abroad but I have yet to meet a person from the era who actually has UFO records on vinyl. My mom and uncle gave me albums from Alice Cooper, Kiss, Grand Funk Railroad, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Meatloaf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Nazareth, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Heart, Queen, Humble Pie, Rush, Rainbow, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Pat Benetar, and Spooky Tooth. No UFO. Neither one of them were even familiar with their work.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 10:04:37 AM PDT
Ash-UFO's lack of popularity is one of the great mysterys of the universe to me and others who used to listen to them back in the day. They usually were the opening band even though they were as good or better than the headliner. Schenker is a Top 5 guitarist from an era of Guitar Gods. Phil Mogg is extremely underrated as both singer and frontman. Paul Raymond, Pete Way and Andy Parker are very skilled as well. I saw them open for Blue Oyster Cult(twice) and Rush in the late 70s and they were great live. I also saw the Walk On Water tour. UFO is still good with Vinnie Moore but, Schenker is the man. I already have my tix for LA, OC, and San Diego shows in November.

Lots of UFO shirts worn at the Iron Maiden shows I saw in San Francisco, Sacramento and Irvine California and Phoenix. UFO's Doctor Doctor is played before every Iron Maiden show. Thats respect/love of UFO.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 1:59:23 PM PDT
I just recently transfered a few vhs to dvdr rips from some early 80's and late 90's UFO shows. Classic stuff!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 7:34:07 PM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
Yeah Vinnie's not bad. I really liked "The Visitor" and "Seven Deadly."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 7:41:58 PM PDT
davyboy says:
Force It - Side 2
Obsession - Side 2 (the guitar work is manic)
The Wild, The Willing and the Innocent - Side 1 (Long Gone into the Title Track)

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 6:53:19 PM PDT
Russell says:
Side 1 of No Place to Run...
I think Paul Chapman had 20 fingers.

By the time the opening track [AlphaCentauri / Lettin' Go] ends, you'll be thinking "Michael who?"

No Place to Run (2009 - Remaster)

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 10:14:46 PM PST
Side One of Force It-- from Let it Roll to High Flyer on into Out in the Street, the music, performance and Schenker's tasteful prodigious licks are the fine examples of why I love UFO. Shoot Shoot and Love Lost Love are classic rockers sandwiched in between the above 3 cuts and display the core of the band convincingly. Force It did it for me, bought and sold.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:49:49 AM PST
@music fan: That's a close second for me next to the first side of Force It. Nice....

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 9:06:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 8:16:21 AM PST
vivazappa says:
1-Side One: No Heavy Petting
2-Side One: Phenomenum

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 2:34:13 PM PST
Side 1 - Lights Out
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Metal forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Mar 31, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions