Customer Discussions > Metal forum

Newly bought/"acquired" metal

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4526-4550 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:34:39 PM PST
L. Bazan says:
Yeah I know. The last time I actually owned this album was on cassette back in high school. Return to Flesh is so damn epic as is The Pick Axe Murders and the title track. Fantastic album through and through. Corpsegrinder is fantastic and I actually love me some Gallery of Suicide and Kill but my favorites are with Chris Barnes. Eaten Back to Life being my all time favorite from them.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 3:54:21 PM PST
Abused Majesty - Serpenthrone
Calm Hatchery - El-Alamein
Gortal - Blastphemous Sindecade
Hell United - Hornokracy
Hermh - Before the Eden - Awaiting the Fire
Holy Death - 20 Years of Devil Metal
Lykauges - Under the Veil of Depression
Nomad - The Independence of Observation Choice

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 4:04:11 PM PST
Baphomet - Death In The Beginning
Nominon - The Cleansing
Mordbrand - Kolumbarium 7"
Orloff - Apparitions Among The Graveyard Skies
Loathsome - Born From Rot
Morbid Execution - Vulgar Darkness
Cianide - The Dying Truth
Miasmal - S/T
General Surgery - Corpus In Extremis: Analyzing Necroticism
Cradle Of Filth - The Manticore and Other Horrors
Embalming Theatre/Dead - Split 7"

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 8:54:06 AM PST
Carpathian Forest- Through Chasm, Caves and Titan Woods
Dissection- The Somberlain (No Fashion)
My Dying Bride- Turn Loose The Swans
Electric Wizard- Come My Fanatics... DCD w/Electric Wizard
Hail Of Bullets- Of Frost & War

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 1:52:16 AM PST
Stephen10133 says:
Gorgoroth - The Last Tormentor

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 11:12:16 AM PST
C. Harding says:
Picked up Anaal Nathrakh's 'Vanitas' yesterday. It's REALLY good.

I also grabbed Big Boi's new one, 'Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors', and if you like hip hop and his past stuff, that's definitely worth checking out. I think it's awesome and it will probably end up on my overall top 10 for the year.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 11:26:38 AM PST
Justin G. says:
Jess and the Ancient Ones: self-titled
Green Day: Tre

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 2:19:58 PM PST
A customer says:
You like 'Kast?

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:42:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 4:46:31 AM PST
Banshee - 'Mindslave' - this new album that has totally blown me away. New vocalist, George Call (ex - Omen and Aska), is one of metal's most underrated vocalists and does a sterling job on this release. Check them out if you like traditional American heavy metal with sprinklings of NWOBHM.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:06:20 AM PST
Circle of Contempt- Entwine the Threads (EP): Pretty solid album, much more techy than their first release.
Eye of the Enemy- Weight of Redemption: Good old Aussie Thrash, reminded me a lot of a harsher version of Testament.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:34:15 PM PST
Stephen10133 says:
Blutrache - Todessehnsucht
Eterna Penumbra - Odio Antihumano

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 10:12:54 AM PST
Catacombs- In The Maze Of Kadath
Apocryphal- From Depths
Kvist- For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike
Nemrod- Reminiscences
Nirvana 2002- Disembodied Spirits
Amorphis- Tales From The Thousand Lakes

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:43:21 AM PST
C. Harding says:
Ian Davison says:
You like 'Kast?
-----------------------------
Sorry, Ian, I just saw this. I've been so busy and haven't been around the past few weeks.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes I do. And this new Big Boi album is incredible. It has been on heavy, heavy rotation since I got it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:06:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 1:06:48 AM PST
A customer says:
You may or may not be surprised, but I'm not a fan. I can respect their talent, but their music just doesn't do it for me. All the times I've played Southernplaya, ATLiens, Aquemini and Stankonia, none of them ever grew on me. After Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, I knew once and for all I would never like OutKast.

All this leads to my question. Does Big Boi's new record sound like OutKast? I've always liked Big Boi, so I wouldn't mind hearing him on joints that don't sound like retreads of stuff I never liked to begin with. The album has an awful lot of guest appearances. Not a good sign.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:19:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 6:23:19 AM PST
C. Harding says:
Ian, nothing surprises me with you anymore. haha (Because stuff on the internet can be taken wrong, I should point out I mean nothing insulting by that. You just can be unpredictable at times.)

Anyway, it's different from OutKast, but probably not different enough that you would fall in love with it. There are a lot of guest appearances, and they all work really well imo. He has some great female guests that sing some really great R&B-type hooks on several songs. I would say it's definitely worth checking out since you like hip hop - honestly, this might end up being my AOTY....I really think it's that good and everyone I've played it for fell in love with it - but hear it for free if you can before you drop any cash on it.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, one of the reasons I really like OutKast and Big Boi is the samples they use and the music they write reminds of the vibe on old Tribe and De La records and the lyrical flow is reminiscent of classic Pharcyde. Hip hop that is heavily influenced by - and borrows a lot from - old classic jazz, funk and R&B is the stuff that really grabs my attention. I'm not as exposed to hip hop, so there aren't a lot of newer hip hop acts that I'm familiar with that I really like.

To get back to the topic at hand, I picked up the new Incantation last week and I really like it. The new Anaal Nathrakh kills as well.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:00:18 AM PST
A customer says:
I LOVE ATCQ, De La Soul and Pharcyde. So that's interesting. I personally don't think they could sound any farther apart. Two east coast acts, one west, and OutKast from the south. They all sound completely different to me. You like Digable Planets? They'd be right up your alley for sure. Both their albums are classics.

I'm glad you said what you did, because I know what I like to avoid, and R&B influence is a big no-no for me. The forced "soulful" vocals and ceaseless glissando runs just kill it for me. I listen to hip hop to hear MC's rap, not singers sing.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:25:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 8:29:09 AM PST
C. Harding says:
Yeah, I love Digable. And I agree they all sound very different, but the influences are similar. I think so, anyway.

I get where you're coming from on the R&B/hip hop thing. I guess to me, it's like hip hop's version of Opeth's growl/clean vocals. I like the contrast.

EDIT: BTW, have you seen 'Beats, Rhymes & Life', the doc Michael Rappaport filmed about ATCQ? It's an incredible film.

2ND EDIT: I don't know if you've heard, but The Pharcyde (what's left of them, anyway) is touring and doing the 'Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde' album in its entirety. That's one album I won't mind hearing performed all the way through. I've already got my tickets for the March show in the Boston area.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:59:47 AM PST
A customer says:
I don't hear any contrast. R&B is almost *too* fitting, like it's a tired cliche at this point. Rapping and opera vocals would be a contrast. A very good one, I suspect.

Isn't that the movie Q-Tip hates because it made him look like a "pompous bastard"? I should see it for that reason alone.

Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde is beyond classic. Probably my second favorite west coast hip hop album ever behind Season of da Siccness.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:20:14 AM PST
JMAN says:
Hey Citizen Death, may I ask where you got In the Maze of Kadath? That's one I've looked for in the past, but could not find.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:50:41 AM PST
C. Harding says:
Yes, Q-Tip went back and forth on his opinion of the film. You DEFINITELY should see it!

We agree on 'Bizarre Ride...' .....in fact, it may be my favorite hip hop album ever. It's either that or 'The Low End Theory'. I can't wait for that show!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:40:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:41:59 AM PST
A customer says:
You. You have good taste. TLET is by far my favorite Tribe album. Have you heard Train of Thought by Reflection Eternal? An album that rarely gets discussed, but easily in my top 10 all-time, eschewing classic status and shooting right into near masterpiece territory. My top 3 is like...
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown
Nas - Illmatic

Can you tell I'm biased? Heh.

I'll definitely check that movie out. I dig Rapaport's work to begin with, so I've no excuse not to.

Pretty sweet you get to see that show. I wanted to see GZA perform Liquid Swords in its entirety, but he ain't rollin' through my town.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:47:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:48:24 AM PST
C. Harding says:
The only one I've heard that you listed is 'Illmatic'....of course. Great album. I'll definitely look into the others.

So, how do you feel about The Roots? They're one of my favorites. Since you don't like the R&B mixed in, I'm guessing you don't care for them a whole lot, but what about the older stuff like 'Do You Want More?!!!??!'?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:57:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 11:07:42 AM PST
A customer says:
No, love The Roots. I don't *hate* R&B per se, it's just the real overwrought, cheesy stuff I don't care for. Think "One Day" by UGK = good, "Temperature's Rising" by Mobb Deep = corny. The bad seems to greatly outweigh the good, but not The Roots. Things Fall Apart, that's my favorite. Classic, classic, classic.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:59:16 PM PST
jgamerfl says:
Deep Purple- Burn
Deep Purple- Machine Head
Deep Purple- Fireball
Alice Cooper- Along Came A Spider
Skid Row- Thickskin
Soundgarden- King Animal
Van Halen- Live Without a Net (DVD)
King's X- Live Love in London (DVD/2CD)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:16:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 1:31:35 PM PST
There's a seller on e-bay who i buy cds from. He lives in France and has alot of really rare chit. Well, i normally spend a bunch of money on his merchandise and when you do he sometimes throws in a CD-r with all kinds of amazing stuff on it. The first 5 bands i listed where on the CD-r. He gave 3 other ones in the past. Pretty cool dude if you ask me! So this would be listed under "acquired" metal rather than bought.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Metal forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  209
Total posts:  5169
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2010
Latest post:  12 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions