Customer Discussions > Metal forum

Doom metal

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2007 7:58:25 PM PST
Jay says:
Who likes Doom and what bands. Draconian, Ahab, and my dying bride are a few of my favorites

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007 8:04:56 PM PST
The Flyman says:
The latest from Funeral and Evoken are quite excellent, though I really have to be in the right frame of mind to go on an Evoken journey...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007 8:07:02 PM PST
Jay says:
Cool what do they sound like im kind a newbie to Doom, but I really like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007 8:14:54 PM PST
Mik Bik says:
Solitude Aeturnus, Rob Lowe is a great vocalist.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007 11:47:48 PM PST
Jay says:
God nobody ust liek doom much I guess. Weird. guess you have to have weird taste.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 4:24:53 AM PST
Romona Veum says:
I never really understood what the term "doom metal" actually means. Enlighten me, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 7:32:07 AM PST
drzombie says:
black sabbath the original doom band, electric wizard,cathedral,opeth,my dying bride.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 8:20:28 AM PST
M. says:
Daylight Dies is one of the best band's I've heard in years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 8:29:38 AM PST
I'm a big Anathema fan, the first albums are definetly doom. I also like Early-Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, I don't think Opeth is doom, but that's me.

And don't forget Candlemass. (Nightfall is maybe the best doom record ever).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 9:45:15 AM PST
Ruel says:
a friend of mine from boston introduced me to a band called planet gemini, an underground boston based doom band. i previewed their music from their web site, which is available for free, and they are pretty good. they sound similar to early sabbath..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 10:10:38 AM PST
Jay says:
Romona Veum
I think doom is, and im not sure because I just started listening, Draconian's arcaine rain fell, an excellent album, slow guitars, depressing lyrics, or ahabs call of the wretched sea which is funeral doom, Forgotten tomb, early paradise lost like shades of god and thier first album.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 10:42:42 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 3, 2010 2:35:04 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 10:57:13 AM PST
Jay says:
I agree I think you can tell when its forced but that's my opinon as well however I like some of the newer stuff but could you recomend some older stuff because I just got into it and I really think its a good genre

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 11:11:51 AM PST
Mik Bik says:
From the BNR Metal Pages:

Doom metal can be described with a single word -- slow. Ponderous, ultra-heavy riffing and (usually) melodic vocals dominate this form of metal. Black Sabbath are, of course, the fathers of metal in general, but their early work concentrated on slow riffing and thus is the primary influence on doom metal bands. Candlemass deserves mention for rejuvenating the genre in the eighties, and their first four albums are regarded as classics in the field. Recent subgenres include funeral doom and drone, both of which slow down the pace even more.

I would recommend going to the BNR website for a comprehensive listing of Doom metal bands:

www.bnrmetal.com/v2/genre.php?ID=D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 2:55:00 PM PST
John Dudek says:
I like doom. Its one more interesting way to create in a good genre. One of my favorites is Rwake, they are underground in the south, but are signed by relapse. good stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 3:04:54 PM PST
Drucifer says:
I really enjoy My Dying Bride. Earily Katatonia and earily Theatre of Tragedy may also be considered Doom Metal and I love those groups too. :P

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 6:53:56 PM PST
TROUBLE-PSALM 9.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 9:08:40 AM PST
D. West says:
Doom is one of my favorite Metal genres. Latley, I've been diggin' Esoteric(referred to as Extreme doom) another band, thanx to Miss N Thrope is Mourning Beloveth. Worship is another band worth checking out. Evoken is simply crushing, claustraphobic and hopeless. Got to be in a real "bad" mood for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 9:18:08 AM PST
Romona Veum says:
I saw My Dying Bride in at a festival in Italy. Not a bad set.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 1:25:01 PM PST
Robert A says:
Some of this will be repeat, but a few of my faves are My Dying Bride, Ahab, Sunn 0))), Unearthly Trance, Funeral, Candlemass, Electric Wizard, Burial Chamber Trio, and of course Black Sabbath.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 1:58:45 PM PST
Mik Bik says:
I just checked out Candlemass' latest offering, King Of The Grey Islands, and saw vocalist Messiah Marcolin was replaced by Rob Lowe of Solitude Aeturnus. While I really like Lowe in SA, Marcolin is a hard act to follow....it's still worth a listen, though, if you are interested in one of the pioneers of Doom.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 2:14:10 PM PST
J. Sober says:
Jay-

Some good early stuf: Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Sleep, Cirith Ungol, Grief, Trouble, Solitude Aeturnus, The Obsessed.

Some good modern stuff: Reverend Bizarre, Cathedral, Middian, The Hidden Hand, OM, Witchcraft, Torche, Goatsnake.

So many sub-genres of metal, and even so many sub-genres of DOOM. Not every style is for everybody, but finding what speaks to you is the fun part. Happy hunting!

Keep it HEAVY!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007 2:21:04 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 3, 2010 2:35:04 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2007 7:27:38 PM PST
Solitude Aeturnus is one of the best doom metal bands. Last Chapter and Memory Garden are very good. Saint Vitus, Count Raven and Internal Void are good if you like Black Sabbath.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2007 6:06:11 PM PST
P. Okane says:
Saint Vitus (with either Scott singing),Pentagram "First Daze Here", The Obsessed, Place Of Skulls "With Vision" are all indispensable doom if you are looking for bands with that Black Sabbath (Ozzy era) type of sound.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Metal forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions