Customer Discussions > Metal forum

Steve Harris Goes Solo

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:10:56 PM PST
Jimi- I can certainly agree with you on that! Still, I suppose he puts his heart and serious musical aspirations in Maiden, this was just him screwing around (like Bruce on Tattooed Millionaire). I was kind of hoping this "solo album" might be a full-on prog rock expedition, with a metal edge!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:20:04 PM PST
Jimi Jac says:
I think Matthew, my beef with Harris's new album, is that he could have done something really original & challenging, but instead released an album we've all heard a thousand times before.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:46:09 PM PST
Jimi - well, they don't sound like classic (pre-90s) rock. I tend to categorize rock as classic from before 1990 and "modern" after - to me the alternogrunge type sound just seemed to drag on for ever. And, to my ears, British Lion fits in a lot more with the mainstream rock sound of the past 10 years or so than metal or classic rock - but, admittedly, I don't listen to modern mainstream music; I'd much rather keep up with the underground metal scene of bands that are more influenced by Maiden than Pearl Jam and Nirvana.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 3:20:54 AM PDT
Jimi Jac says:
Their hardly a Modern sounding Rock group

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 7:05:05 PM PDT
As I pointed out in my review today, this isn't really a Steve Harris solo album, it's a British Lion album - a modern hard rock group - that Steve Harris is playing on. With a few little exceptions, I don't really hear any Maiden/Harris influence. And, I suppose, shouldn't that be what we expect by now? Think about it - the previous Maiden solo projects - Bruce's first 3 solo albums, Adrian's ASAP and Psycho Motel - haven't been very Maiden, have they? These guys are branching out to do something different, a little more mainstream, and (often enough) just have a little fun, not make an "artistic statement" - they make a pretty damn good artistic statement in Iron Maiden.
If you want a Maiden solo project worthy of the band, stick with Bruce's "Accident of Birth", "Chemical Wedding", and "Tyranny of Souls" - or, for that matter, Blaze Bayley's solo albums are probably better metal than the two he did with Maiden.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 10:55:43 AM PDT
T. Boyle says:
I heard "This Is My God" today, but can't say I'm too impressed. I'm not sure what sound they're going for, but it's definitely different. Oh well, I know I'll get the CD anyway and hopefully there'll be more I can relate to.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 3:30:38 PM PDT
gusula says:
Steve Harris going solo is kind of like Ric Ocasek dumping The Cars or, even worse, Peter Cetera shrugging off the rest of Chicago -- both vocalists played such a huge role in the overall sound of their groups that their solo projects ended up sounding almost exactly like the original bands. Which begs the question: why did these two gentlemen (and so many other frontmen before and after them) decide to go solo in the first place? It's hard to argue that they were seeking "creative freedom" from the original bands, given that their solo projects ended up sounding like clones of the original. So the move leaves listeners like me to conclude that it was all about the money -- why share the take with a whole band when I can break out on my own, take the fan base with me and make even more loot? So now it's Steve Harris. Even if he is the bass player and not the frontman, his sound is still integral to the band. I love how so many critics and fans talk about Maiden's twin guitar attack. It really is more of a triple guitar attack -- Harris' bass playing is that active, even melodic at times. So why is he breaking out on his own? I have to wonder: he formed the band, and I'm sure he considers it his own. So maybe he's bristling a bit at everyone talking Dickinson, Murray, etc. Maybe it's a little bit like Kobe Bryant wanting so badly to win a championship without Shaq, just to show that he deserved more of the credit for their joint rings than people were giving him. At the end of the day, though, I'm a HUGE fan -- it was Harris (and a bit of Geddy Lee too) who convinced me to pick up the instrument all those years ago, and even with the negative reviews here, I know I'll find myself at Best Buy sometime in the near future, looking to pick this one up and check it out for myself...

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 6:22:27 AM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
What is up with the singer on this album? He does that Maynard James Keenan thing where he finishes lines in a whisper. Only, Maynard is somehow better at it. Also, for a guy with a clean vocal style, there are spots a plenty on this record where you can barely understand him. Not at all what I expected.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:34:34 AM PDT
Bobage says:
It's true I'm not a fan of current Maiden but I'm not sure what that has to do with this project. I did listen to some tracks and I found them mostly enjoyable. There's nothing Maiden about it. Nothing spectacular to my ears and not particularly memorable either, but a solid sounding effort. The mix was pretty off and that detracted somewhat.

Name that game Smith.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 1:33:27 PM PDT
Start of a new game????

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 12:39:24 PM PDT
Well, at least for this weekend, you can hear the album at ironmaiden.com - they have the whole thing streaming. It seems to be a straight up rock album (hard rock or mainstream metal leaning) to my ears, kind of modern and classic rock influenced, doesn't particularly remind me of Maiden. Kind of like Tattooed Millionaire or Adrian's Psycho Motel, just a fun mainstream hard rock album rooted in classic 70s metal. Decent, but not in the league of Maiden's stuff. I don't think I'd even compare it to Maiden or know Steve Harris was involved if I heard it on the radio. The vocalist is kind of a more modern rock type - not really powerful, but not terrible. Pretty rockin', but not metal in the modern sense (I mean, nowadays some people don't consider Maiden a "metal band") but as metal as the Scorpions or a lot of 80s hair metal. I'll get it, and I think I'll like it, but I don't see listening to it in regular rotation for years like I still do Final Frontier and the rest of the modern Maiden!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 4:07:13 AM PDT
Jimi Jac says:
I like the Maiden albums since Dickinson's return, it's just that they're a bit long winded, I mean their last record had 10 songs on it but lasts for 76 minutes!
I suppose that's what you get when you've got three lead guitarists in you band.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 5:03:39 PM PDT
Bobage - one can guess you're not a fan of current Maiden? Which is fine, but of course, why would you have any interest in this album then. I personally love the recent Iron Maiden albums, so I could see this as being spectacular. Alhough, the one weak spot in the current Maiden (for me) is, I believe, Kevin Shirley - was listening to Matter of Life and Death today on my headphones and realized there's some nice guitar bits Adrian is playing that are so faint in the mix as to be almost unnoticeable. (Why didn't they use Roy Z?) And, sadly, it seems they've gone with Shirley on this album, too.
There's finally some more press on this, and it sounds as if it's not really a Steve Harris "solo" project anyway, it's a band he liked that he got together with and cowrote the album, although he's the one with the industry clout so his name's on it (and he's probably in "control" of the project). All the reviews seem to indicate he's going for a classic mid/late 70s hard rock/metal vibe and the singer's OK but not quite a strong enough singer to make the music shine. So, basically, the kind of album an artist in an established band puts out for fun (e.g. Tattooed Millionaire).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 9:16:31 AM PDT
Eric Wyatt says:
Just listened to the album, and the description you quoted is about right. I would also throw in that to me, musically it sounds a bit like Saxon if they were on downers or ludes. I didn't pay much attention to the actual lyrics, but the music is okay, singing is good, but the production seems a bit muddled. The songs themselves follow a continuous theme though, and it gets a bit annoying. They start off with good semi-heavy intro's and then slow way down into very light melody for the lyrical parts. Like I said I only listened to it once.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 9:13:43 AM PDT
Bobage says:
I haven't heard it, so I cannot comment as to the music, but I'm amazed that anyone thought it would be something spectacular.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 9:06:03 AM PDT
album isn't good at all....and the singer is terrible...

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 6:12:29 PM PDT
....I smell boring old guy rock coming from this kitchen....

...May I have none please?.....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 2:08:54 PM PDT
That's a tough pill to swallow. I'll search the rest of my life never understanding why my favorite octet broke up. Did they make Celine Dion mad? Emotionally I don't think that The Spice Girls could handle the mental anguish after Celine dropped the bomb (My heart will go on) on them. Oh well...I do wish the best for the sporty rugmuncher.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 12:35:57 PM PDT
Bobage says:
I guess I read a different article.

"The new sound is sort of a cross between Gloria Estephan & Danzig" Harris said. "I'm looking to scoop up those lost fans that have been dead in the water ever since the breakup of the Spice Girls", the legendary bassist quipped. When asked if he would don the old stretchy spandex look from the Number of the Beast era, Harris smiled and replied thoughtfully, "We've got armadillos in our trousers, it's really quite frightening".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 12:21:27 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to it.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 11:52:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 7, 2012 11:53:06 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 11:49:57 AM PDT
wattsie says:
Steve described the new album as "'70s-influenced, British-sounding hard rock." "I'd say it's more mainstream rock than metal... and quite commercial... but good commercial," he said. "There's all kinds of stuff going on, with nods to THE WHO and UFO and some classic British rock bands, but it's not the progressive rock album some might be expecting."

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 3:40:46 PM PDT
Jimi Jac says:
Well I don't actually no, I just speculating, which is kinda what this forums are for.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 10:28:40 AM PDT
Mike says:
HUH? REALLY?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 1:40:25 PM PDT
Jimi Jac says:
Although Harris may think he making a album that doesn't sound like Maiden, what we may well get is same old/same old, especially if he surrounds himself with a group of "Yes" men who wont push him creatively.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Metal forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Jul 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions