Customer Discussions > Metal forum

Literature For A Metalhead

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2012 2:55:54 AM PDT
So after reading through lyrical booklets of thrash, death, and black metal bands I feel like I need to a little more literature in my life. Could you guys please give some recommendations for books that would interest a metalhead at a high school level? I know I should check out some books from H.P. Lovecraft and Clive Barker, so what are some of their best or more interesting offers? Also I'm looking for books about torture/suffering psychical and/or mental or what what it truly is, know any? Sorry for any mistakes I have to rush to school. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:14:42 AM PDT
Lovecraft's works are almost entirely short stories or novella's, and theres about million different anthologies you could pick from. I found this to be a pretty decent collection when I first started...http://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Stories-Penguin-Twentieth-Century-Classics/dp/0141182342/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1351696144&sr=8-21&keywords=HP+lovecraft

Id also recommend this website..his work is in public domain, so you can read some of his stuff for free here and see if you like it...http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

Keep in mind..theyre not super gory...Lovecraft leaves a lot to your imagination

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:16:57 AM PDT
This disturbs me Deth. Be safe my friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:06:55 AM PDT
Bobage says:
Clive Barker - Weaveworld

Simply amazing.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 2:03:38 PM PDT
mitch says:
Hellbound Heart- Clive Barker was my introduction to him..also read The Damnation Game way back in the day, don't remember that one as well though..something about gambling..Clive was very exciting and different when he burst on the scene, being a S.King junkie beforehand, Clive was new and different..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 11:17:13 PM PDT
I'm wondering how I disturbed you, is it because I asked for books on torture or because I haven't much knowledge of books? If the first please rest at ease for I want to hurt no one, I just want to learn about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:29:21 AM PDT
Kevin Beirne says:
Just wanted to make sure before you get all Kevin Spacey on us...

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:02:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 3:36:29 PM PDT
who? says:
Here are some books that are actually considered literature; instead of horror, though they contain elements of horror; at various levels.

american psycho-bret easton ellis
the painted bird-jerzy kosinski
night-elie wiesel
the story of the eye-georges bataille
the road-cormac mccarthy
heart of darkness-joseph conrad

You can also find marquise de sade novels pretty easily, but I find them pretty trite and juvenile. 120 days of sodom and justine are considered to be his best. Be warned, they really are crap. Anyone who thinks they are autobiographical, and that de sade actually did all those things, is a moron.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 4:25:21 PM PDT
jgamerfl says:
If you like fantasy horror check out: The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard. Most of his horror stories collected in this one volume for about 15 dollars. Some of them, particularly "Pigeons from Hell", and his poems are great.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:01:54 PM PDT
A customer says:
"Give ME book recommendations, you f__king c__ksucker."

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:08:33 PM PDT
A customer says:
The best thing I ever read on this board was this gem of insight from Skull Hunter Ghoul 138:

"If The Marquis De Sade were alive today he would be pig squealing into a cupped mic"

Classic.

Deth, tell me you've read Stephen King. If not, I would recommend... pretty much almost all of his books. IT is my favorite, and I would say it's probably his most disturbing.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:57:30 PM PDT
There's always the classic Dante's "Inferno" - it's about Hell, and Iced Earth did a 15-minute epic on it, what could be more metal. Of course, half of it describes the tortures of historical and mythical people that you probably don't know as a high schooler, but it's not too long.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 7:49:21 PM PDT
jgamerfl says:
There's also Edgar Allen Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher". Probably his best horror story; I had to read it in high school.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:08:41 PM PDT
Waggs says:
Read John Shirley. Start with his short story anthology "Black Butterflies" then go anywhere from there. Joe R Lansdale is another - start with the Drive-In books... my 2 cents.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:44:39 PM PDT
I've checked into a few of the book recommendations, and I gotta say this is pretty much what I was looking for, now it's just a matter of money, and finding the time to read them. Thanks guys for your help, and if you have more to add please do share. I actually read Dante's Inferno last year because of Ice Earth which now that I think of it I really need to get Burnt Offerings.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:53:30 PM PDT
I wonder if I went about it like that how many people would actually respond to me. I prefer being polite when asking help from others, especially my elders. Sadly, no I haven't had a chance to read anything by Stephen King, but I always wanted to, I've heard a lot about him though, and seen a few movie adaptations of his books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 12:44:08 AM PDT
A customer says:
Ha. No, that was just a reference to Kevin Spacey's priceless delivery in the "hand me the keys" scene in Usual Suspects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-f8hwafsIU

Beirne was actually referencing Se7en, but nevertheless.

Most Stephen King movies are pretty bad. In every case, the cliche holds true: The book is better. I would recommend these the most:
Carrie, The Shining, The Stand, Pet Sematary, It, Misery, Gerald's Game, Everything's Eventual, Cell, Duma Key

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 5:57:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 5:58:28 AM PDT
C. Harding says:
Most Stephen King movies are pretty bad. In every case, the cliche holds true: The book is better. I would recommend these the most:
Carrie, The Shining, The Stand, Pet Sematary, It, Misery, Gerald's Game, Everything's Eventual, Cell, Duma Key
-------------------------

Nice list. To that, I would also add a few of his short story/novella collections: Night Shift, Skeleton Crew ('The Mist' - the first story in the aforementioned collection - is King at his best), The Bachman Books and Different Seasons.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 6:21:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 7:19:11 AM PDT
who? says:
One should also check out the short story collections from

nathaniel hawthorne
arthur machen
robert louis stevenson
ambrose bierce
joseph sheridan le fanu

and the novels of h.g. wells.

You'd be surprised by how much we take for granted in horror started with these guys.

Edit: john fowles-the collector is supposedly read by more serial killers than any other book. Also there is the wasp factory by lain banks which I actually haven't read yet; but now, after digging so deeply into my memory banks, I probably will.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:37:01 AM PDT
C. Harding says:
Deth, I'm not sure these even need mentioning because of their status as classics, but just in case......'Dracula' by Bram Stoker, 'Frankenstein; Or the Modern Prometheus' by Mary Shelley and 'Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde' by Robert Louis Stevenson should all be on your reading list.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:19:18 AM PDT
Kevin Beirne says:
"a reference to Kevin Spacey's priceless delivery in the "hand me the keys" scene in Usual Suspects."

hahaha priceless delivery indeed....The inflection in his voice is - incredible... so simple yet, fascinating. Hahaha just reading it aloud makes me laugh.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:04:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 2, 2012 9:06:52 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:06:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 9:20:05 AM PDT
Bobage says:
It is brilliant. I love when Fenster is up there. "Gimmiedekeyzcucksucka."

"In English please??"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 11:12:35 AM PDT
Kevin Beirne says:
hahaha exactly - he is awesome in that movie too. "I said he'll flip you...flip you for real..."

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 12:20:56 PM PDT
A customer says:
I like it when the guy who played Dorian in The Mask/Zed in Pulp Fiction flicks his cigarette right into Stephen Baldwin's face. That was unscripted; his reaction was legitimate.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions