Customer Discussions > Metal forum

Favorite Black Sabbath albums

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 138 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2013 12:57:01 PM PDT
Fischman says:
The point was that Tony's soloing on the new record is more like the Dio era stuff than the early Ozzy era stuff. Looking at the two, there is both more speed and precision in the latter. Take a listen to the closing of "Die Young" as an example. I think the post-Ozzy years also yielded a more interesting interplay between Tony and Geezer. Bringing Geezer more into the full spectrum of the music rather than just as a bass riffmaster enhanced the music as well. "Wishing Well" and "Falling off the Edge of the World" are good examples. I know Geezer had some standout moments in the earlier recordings, but those cuts take it to a whole new level. There's still the thick, chunky riffs underneath, providing the cake, but the icing is sweeter. They took the best of both eras and combined them--and made it jive with Ozzy's voice. Quite an accomplishment IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 3:27:58 PM PDT
When you say Tony's approach to soloing on the new record...what are you referring to? What is he doing now that you feel like he is doing better then in the past in regards to his lead playing?

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 10:28:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2013 10:29:34 AM PDT
Fischman says:
The answer is really two fold:
1. Despite their popularity among classic Sabbath fans, I wasn't a huge fan of those albums (at least relative to Bloody, Paranoid and s/t), so I tend to rank them lower than many
2. While 13 is highly derivative of that era, I like that some of the evolution Sabbath's sound and approach went through in the intervening years also inhabits 13--specifically, the somewhat "thicker" guitar tone and Tony's approach to soloing. I also like Ozzy's voice on 13 more, although I'm not sure I can precisely articulate why.

In short, I think 13 is a strong update to the classic Sabbath sound. It might also help that, given the decades between Ozzy/Sabbath studio albums, this sounds more fresh to me than it really is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2013 10:24:21 AM PDT
Mitch says:
He also has Never Say Die ranked higher than those 3, along with ranking Cross Purposes above those 3 and Technical Ex up there as well. One of the more unique Sabbath listings, for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2013 10:14:17 AM PDT
Bobage says:
I know it's completely subjective and people like what they like and there's no disputing one's preferences and all sorts of other diaphanous statements that inevitably precipitate someone attepmting to override subjectivity the way I'm about to, but...

Simply because 13 is so self derivative of that old Sabbath vibe, how is it you rank it above Master of Reality, Vol 4, and Sabotage? Do you feel they somehow perfected the perfection found on those records? Just speaks to you more? I'm just curious how it ousts those classics in your preference.

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 9:42:49 AM PDT
I'll throw in .02 in reference to least favorite Ozzy-era tunes. She's Gone is about the most boring and contrived number I can think of if I'm going to skip a track. I like most of the instrumentals listed like Fluff, Laguna Sunrise and Supertzar, but Breakout from Never Say Die is an oddball. Saxophone and Brass in Sabbath? Pretty odd. I don't have a high disdain for Am I Going Insane, although, its not the strongest number on Sabotage, either. Who Are You can be interesting on occasion, but its a bit monotonous with its repetitive synthesizer melody(no disrespect to Rick Wakeman). Other tracks on the latter albums of Tech Ex and Die, such as Shock Wave, All Moving Parts, Over to You and You Won't Change Me can be somewhat substandard in as far as writing is concerned, but they have moments of interest depending upon the mood. You Won't Change Me has some of Iommi's best lead breaks within a number that is kind of unexciting otherwise and it saves the song, I think.

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 8:59:01 AM PDT
Fischman says:
13 is an excellent effort. Not Sab's best, but much better than one would expect from them at this time. Not at the top but not far from it--much like where the new Clockwork Angels fits into Rush's catalog.

Heaven & Hell
Mob Rules
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Paranoid
Black Sabbath
Cross Purposes
Never Say Die
Technical Ecstasy
Master of Reality
Volume 4
Sabotage
Dehumanizer
Headless Cross
Born Again
Tyr
Seventh Star
The Eternal Idol
Forbidden

Posted on Jul 26, 2013 8:02:01 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
Fluff is one of my favorite instrumentals. That and Laguna Sunrise

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2013 10:27:30 PM PDT
Bobage says:
Oh man, I just have to weigh in and say how much I love Fluff. Such a great piece to me.

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 6:25:57 PM PDT
Music Lover says:
Take No Prisoners-the guitar is cool on Supertzar and the choir is odd but interesting for a minute or so. At 3:44 I just think it overstays it's welcome by about 2 minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2013 4:55:03 PM PDT
I could take this two ways here. I could list the songs I hate off their totally classic albums and it would be a small list (Who Are You, Fluff, Am I Going Insane?, Changes, FX) And that would be literally every song I don't like off the first six

OR
I could just list almost every song on Never Say Die! and Technical Ecstasy that I like, leaving the rest as fodder for the list. (I like Dirty Women, Never Say Die...yep a small list of likes on those two)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2013 4:51:10 PM PDT
Really? Supertzar is awesome to my ears.

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 11:28:27 AM PDT
andy: d.d. says:
Goatsnake does a cover of Who Are You that is pretty impressive.

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 11:19:21 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
I agree completely with Who Are You, FX, and Am I Going Insane. I'd add Supertzar and All Moving Parts

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 9:43:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2013 9:45:08 AM PDT
I was just listening to 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' (album) and almost wanted to start a yet another Black Sabbath thread, but since there's already so many, I'll just ask here.

What are your top 5 worst Ozzy-era songs?

Mine:
1.) 'Who Are You'?
2.) 'Changes'
3.) 'It's Alright'
4.) 'Am I Going Insane (Radio)'
5.) 'FX' (um...where are the effects?)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 8:41:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2013 8:45:48 AM PDT
WNBS,

Good call on 'The Wizard'. One of my favorite drums tracks of all time. As blasphemous as it may sound, I never really cared all THAT much for the opening track, 'Black Sabbath'. It was all creepy and vibey for sure, but as a musician, it kind of bored the pants off me playing the tri-tone and applying vibrato to try and flesh out the sustain of those notes. But when Iommi and the band finally let loose in the last quarter of the song, it was all worth it. That's the song to me - that ending. And then right into 'The Wizard'.

I'd have pegged your favorite from 'Technical Ecstasy' as 'Dirty Women' because of, well...because of the song title. (smirk)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 8:09:02 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
1. Paranoid
2. Master Of Reality
3. Black Sabbath
4. Sabotage
5. Vol 4
6. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
7. Heaven And Hell
8. Mob Rules
9. 13
10. Born Again
11. Never Say Die
12. Technical Ecstasy
13. Dehumanizer
14. The Devil You Know
15. Headless Cross
16. Tyr
17. Cross Purposes

not a big fan of the others left

*#1 through 6 are pretty interchangable depending on mood

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 4:37:37 AM PDT
* Black Sabbath *

1. Sabotage (Hole in the Sky)
2. Masters of Reality (Into the Void)
3. Heaven and Hell (Neon Knights)
4. Vol. 4 (Supernaut)
5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (A National Acrobat)
5. Mob Rules (Mob Rules)
6. Black Sabbath (The Wizard)
7. Technical Ecstasy (You Won't Change Me)
8. Paranoid (Planet Caravan)
9. Born Again (Zero the Hero)
10. The Devil You Know (Bible Black)
11. 13 (Age of Reason)

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 10:08:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2013 10:40:17 AM PDT
1.) Black Sabbath - S/T
2.) 'Master of Reality'
3.) 'Paranoid'
4.) 'Heaven and Hell'
5.) 'Sabotage'
6.) 'Vol IV'
7.) 'Born Again'
8.) 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'
9.) 'Mob Rules'
10.) 'Never Say Die'
11.) Everything else is interchangable depending on mood/day

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 6:07:01 PM PDT
******bump********

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:01:03 PM PST
Paranoid
Heaven & Hell
Black Sabbath
Volume 4
Mob Rules

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 11:17:29 AM PST
mitch says:
^The Shining is a great tune, great Iommi riff and great vocal

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 10:24:19 AM PST
Ash Krueger says:
I'd definitely check out "Dehumanizer." Heavy, heavy. "Computer God," "After All (The Dead)," "I," "Letters from Earth," "Time Machine," and "TV Crimes" are great. Eternal Idol, as some others have said, isn't bad either. IMO, not as good as Dehumanizer, but still a great record. The title track is classic doomy Sabbath. "The Shining" is also one of my all time favorite Black Sabbath tunes.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:55:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 12:56:49 AM PST
Chet Fakir says:
Paranoid
Master Of Reality
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Vol. 4
Black Sabbath
Sabotage
Heaven And Hell
Mob Rules
Never Say Die
Tyr
Technical Ecstasy
Headless Cross
Born Again

I'm unfamiliar with the rest.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 7:35:31 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Sabotage
Black Sabbath
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Volume 4
Heaven and Hell
Master of Reality
Headless Cross
Mob Rules
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Metal forum

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  138
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions