Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sturgill Simpson Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Metal forum

Favorite Black Sabbath albums

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 138 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 31, 2011 2:56:59 PM PDT
Mashui says:
That was an underrated album.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 4:13:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 10:50:34 PM PDT
Difficult to rank the first few but here goes,

Sabatoge
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Vol. 4
Master of Reality
Paranoid
Heaven and Hell
Black Sabbath
Born Again
Mob Rules
(edit.) Technical Ecstacy, (For the psycadelic Procol Harumish "It's Alright")

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 4:31:29 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
"Megalomania" is one of the best Black Sabbath tracks. It encompasses both the sludgy ultra-slow doom and the marauding, crushing fast tempos. It's one of Geezer Butler's best bass performances, Tony Iommi's guitar layering is jaw-dropping, and Ozzy Osbourne goes completely insane on the vocals.

Bizarrely, I like even the strange "Don't Start (Too Late)" and the cheesy "Am I Going Insane (Radio)" because of how left-field they are. The one Sabotage track that does nothing for me is one of the album's most famous: "The Writ". I almost always skip it.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 4:40:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 4:40:54 PM PDT
Yea, "Megalomania" is great. For single Sabbath songs I love "Supernaught" more than any other-just all energy and funky, then i guess i like "Sabbra Cabbara" and "Into the Void" in a tie next.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 4:57:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 4:57:59 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
I think both Megalomania and The Writ have tremendous "riffs", as good as any Sabbath stuff but they go on too long..

That middle section in the Writ where Ozzy sounds like he's tip toeing through the tulips ?.....uhhhh no. Love Sabotage, think it's a really good album but IMO the first cracks started to show up there.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 5:02:39 PM PDT
Did they have Crack in the middle 70`s.........if so,I forgive Sabbath for their steady decline....

I Worship "Never Say Die" though.....that`s like the "Tommy" ov Sab.........

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 5:07:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 5:12:59 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Re : I Worship "Never Say Die" though

Ohhh ....you're the one...:)

No...seems like a few people on here like it. I've heard maybe a half dozen songs and the style was SO much different I can't see myself liking it. But can't say fer sure.......

After Sabotage though most fans acknowledge, with Technical and Never say Die, they really started the big decline...

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 5:13:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 5:17:50 PM PDT
I really like "Johnny Blade"....it`s insane.....it makes "Rick Wakeman on Ice" look like a decent idea by comparison.......

The drums on "Never Say Die" are among some ov Bill Ward`s finest.....

The cover makes me want to watch "Time Bandits".......over and over again.....heh....

This album along with Led Zeppelin`s "In Through The Out Door" are forgotten Heavy Prog Rock Masterpieces.....

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 5:22:29 PM PDT
A customer says:
Time Bandits... yet another film with a heartless, sociopathic ending.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 5:39:34 PM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
Mob Rules
Heaven and Hell
Dehumanizer
The Devil You Know
Sabotage
Black Sabbath
Born Again
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
Seventh Star
Vol. 4
Headless Cross
Tyr
Technical Ecstacy
Never Say Die
Cross Purposes
The Eternal Idol
Forbidden

I guess I'm a little biased when it comes to Ronnie Dio. His work with Sabbath is probably my favorite of his entire discography and I love Rainbow and DIO solo. I like the Ozzy stuff, which I actually heard before the Dio stuff, but not as much. I don't know why. However I rank the Ozzy albums up pretty high with the exception of Never Say Die! and Technical Ecstacy which I never really got into. Though I'll take them over the Tony Martin stuff (except for Tyr and Headless Cross). Born Again is a great record and I love just about anything with Ian Gillan behind the mic. Seventh Star, while often refered to as being cheesy or poppy when compared to Sabbath's other works, is pretty good to my hears. Of course I'm a huge fan of Glenn Hughes. Tyr and Headless Cross are decent albums but they don't beat out Ozzy, Dio, or Gillian.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 5:42:41 PM PDT
B. rogers says:
I dunno...I like "Born Again" more than "Sabotage", "Technical Ecstacy" or "Never Say Die" COMBINED.

But that's just me.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 5:47:36 PM PDT
B. rogers says:
Ditto for "Heaven And Hell" and "Mob Rules".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 6:18:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 13, 2011 8:37:22 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 6:19:08 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 6:20:01 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 6:21:31 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 7:37:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2011 7:59:13 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
You're a prog fan? Haven't really seen that from your taste but okay. That's cool.
I know I'm a prog fan and there are "stretched" out parts in those songs which indicate and signal to me a lack of ideas. In other words the extra length was just to fill time on the album and took a little away from songs too imo..

I could care less how long the song is if it's a good song. In other longer Sabbath songs I never felt any "padding". Then again I think these were about the longest Sabbath songs ever written up to that point in their career..

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 8:48:24 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> I love "Supernaut" more than any other-just all energy and funky, then i guess i like
> "Sabbra Cabbara" and "Into the Void" in a tie next.

Let me guess...Frank Zappa fan? Zappa supposedly said that "Supernaut" was a perfect rock song or something along those lines. Don't know where that quotation came from, though.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 10:22:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2011 12:24:02 AM PDT
Zappa's cool, but i've only owned the record with Steve Vai on it on cassette. I like his critisism and commentary as much as his music, a great observer i just never got into him, maybe now is my chance.

I first heard "Supernaught" in 1982 in the back of a van while peaking on pyramid acid we then went to Floyd's Dark Side laserarium show at the planetarium in Golden Gate Park. Great song and groove and the funk of the time period is in the cool breakdown. I love the lyric and Ozzy's total overwelming screaming emotion. Very poetic and tight, like an idea or dream rather than just a song. Always seemed like a magical song to me.

Sorry about the mistake on listing Never Say Die instead of Technical Ecstacy. (I changed the mistake) Yea, "It's Alright" is very Beatlesque.

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 2:55:55 AM PDT
Zappa loved him some Yngwie Malmsteem...........

or at the least "It`s Alright" is very,very ELOesque.......heh...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2011 11:30:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 13, 2011 8:37:24 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:46:42 PM PST
Obiturized says:
1. Heaven & Hell
2. Mob Rules
3. Dehumanizer

Ozzy era doesn't do much for me, except for the 'Black Sabbath' album itself

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:10:14 PM PST
A customer says:
The first 5.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:43:27 PM PST
Just got Dehuminizer on recommendation from Glen Kepic. It's a great record. Not a standout songwise. But it's so cool to hear Tony and Ronnie together on songs i had never heard, great stuff. Just a really cool record.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:24:28 AM PST
mitch says:
^give it a time as well, that albums a grower for sure. those songs sound huge in the live setting as well..I didn't appreciate that album as much until I heard a few of those songs live..
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Metal forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  138
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions