Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Metal forum

Favorite Black Sabbath albums

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 138 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:43:52 AM PST
Ash Krueger says:
It's always fun to come back to a thread much later and see where I would list things now.

As of right now

Heaven and Hell/Black Sabbath (Tie. S/T has the atmosphere. Classic doom. Heaven and Hell has those vocals.)
Mob Rules (Over and Over sounds like an Ozzy era song with Dio on vocals. Perfection. Title track is a punch in the mouth.)
Born Again (Ian Gillan is incredible on this album. Amazing vocals. Dark, heavy, killer bass.)
Master of Reality ("Children of the Grave" is one of my favorite songs.)
Dehumanizer (A lot of people hate the production. I don't mind. Very heavy. Dio and Geezer went all out on the lyrics too.)
Sabotage (I think this probably rocks harder than any other Ozzy era album. The songs are like ten tons of brick.)
Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath (Awesome album cover. Some of Ozzy's best vocal work.)
Paranoid (It's a classic. Maybe a little overplayed but there are still tracks like "Electric Funeral" and "Hand of Doom" that doom it up.)
Vol. 4 (I like it. Not my favorite but still an awesome record. I own the converse tennis shoes with the album cover on them!)
Headless Cross (My favorite Tony Martin ever. The right mix of Sabbath's late 80s power metal shift and the classic doom and gloom they're known for.)
Tyr (It's adventurous. Viking Sabbath. Quorthon should have been on this record. Tony and Geezer and Quorthon. That would have killed.)
Never Say Die! (It's a little poppy but that title track and the awesome "Johnny Blade" are good different Sabbath tunes.)
Eternal Idol (The first exposure I had to Tony Martin. The title track and "The Shining" are great songs.)
Cross Purposes (It's alright. I like "I Witness" and "Dying for Love.")
Seventh Star (Glenn Hughes is great as always. But the songs just aren't there. There a few gleaming moments though.)
Forbidden (It's bad yes. But I like "Rusty Angels" and despite Ice-T, "Illusion of Power" has a nice doom sound.)
Technical Ecstasy (It's kind of progressive. I'll give them credit. They tried something different. I really don't love any of the tunes though.)

If "The Devil You Know" counts, it's gotta be high on my list but I'm not sure where I'd put it right now.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:06:24 AM PST
mitch says:
I actually enjoy Eternal Idol quite a bit. I think it's very consistent throughout. Nothing completely devastating, but just a nice smooth listen all the way through. I like it better than the other albums with Tony Martin. Cross Purposes is good stuff too.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 9:14:24 AM PST
Master of Reality
Volume 4
Paranoid
S/t
Mob Rules
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage
Heaven and Hell
The Eternal Idol
Born Again

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 9:50:53 AM PST
mitch says:
Here's my top picks, this list changes slightly depending on how I feel
1. Heaven and Hell -- This album is perfect to me, I like Dio way better than Ozzy as a vocalist, I disagree with the assumption that Ozzy was perfect for his era, Iommi was perfect, Ozzy was suitable, Dio was better by a large degree..
2. Master of Reality- classic Iommi riffs everywhere on this one, this is like Paranoid part 2, but much less over played. Great album, no flaws, I like Orchid too.
3. Sabotage- more classic Iommi riffs
4. Paranoid- probably the most classic metal album ever, too bad it's overplayed as hell, Warpigs- no thanks
5. Black Sabbath- great debut, rarely ever listen to it honestly
6. Mob Rules---Heaven and Hell part 2, the same, just slightly not as good
7. Vol 4.- you know I probably like this better than I'm ranking it, I could easily swap this with the debut for the 5. spot-- great stoner metal, Changes blows, Snowblind and Supernaut among my favorite Sabb songs
8. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath- meh still great but honestly never a favorite of mine
9. Born Again- I may like this better than Sabbath Bloody Sabbath actually
10. Dehumanizer and The Eternal Idol- both below prime Sabbath by a long shot, but still very good, I don't understand why people slam The Eternal Idol, maybe cuz it's boring generic 80s power metal with an RJD clone vocalists and Iommi's obviously low on riffs by this time?? Eh I still like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 2:42:26 PM PST
Agreed on Eternal Idol. I think its the best one of the Martin era(Cross Purposes is a close second). Despite the length it took to get the record done, what with changes in musicians, producers and studios, its actually a pretty damn solid record and contains some great songs. The 86-90(and 95-Forbidden, which is the least inspired and probably at the bottom of the Iommi barrel) era is often maligned as being inferior compared to the Ozzy/Dio lineups and rightfully so. Unfortunately, of the time period, Iommi was seemingly forced to use the Sabbath banner for money and business affairs in order to continue to make a living. This proved to be a double-edged sword as it certainly allowed Iommi to continue with his career, but it became an uncomfortable compromise for alot of old school fans. More often than not, when I listen to some of the Martin-era material(including the 7th Star album with Glenn Hughes) I keep it in my head that this is simply an Iommi project and generally don't associate it with typical Sabbath.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 3:40:47 PM PST
mitch says:
Ya it's an era this definitely not as memorable as the Ozzy and Dio years of course, but besides Forbidden, they are all actually pretty decent albums. Martin's a good enough vocalist and the stuff is less doom and more of an 80s rock/power/metal vibe.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 6:22:04 PM PST
A TJ H F says:
Tyr is a fantastic album, very underrated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:44:06 PM PST
I tried getting into it and I know that Tony Martin is very proud of that record, but I just don't think TYR is all that. Headless Cross is another one that gets alot of props and there are a few good tunes on it, but I think its a bit bland as well.

On the other hand I think Born Again is a fantastic record and alot of people hate it. It was definitely a strange coupling of sorts with Ian Gillan on vocals, but for that one record, it worked really well. Bill Ward returned, even if it was brief, he still did some damn powerful drumming on that! Iommi and Geezer's playing is also just as powerful and with true purpose.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:02:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 7:05:02 PM PST
A TJ H F says:
Born Again is definitely good. I agree that Headless Cross is in a way overrated (I only really like "Nightwing"), but Tyr is just epic and borderline power metal. "Anno Mundi", "The Sabbath Stones", the 3 track suite of "Valhalla" are the highlights. I also really like "The Law Maker" despite it being a rewrite of Rainbow's "Kill the King". The single ballad and "Jerusalem" are not bad either. The only iffy song is the last one.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:17:03 PM PST
This is a bit off the subject, but I still find it odd that when Geez and Tony reunited again with Dio/Appice that they weren't allowed to be Black Sabbath. The Devil You Know is a fine record and unfortunately Dio's last studio record, but really, what's the difference? They were most certainly the next phase of Sabbath with Heaven and Hell thru Live Evil and again with Dehumanizer; I thought it was silly that they had to opt for another name. That was Ozzy and Sharon's doing from what I understand.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:20:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 7:24:09 PM PST
I love Born Again. Just a cool record. Lots of great ideas and songs. One of the best Sabbath albums that i really dig. The weird production and guitar sound adds to the baby devil weird vibe of the cover. On LP, the cover stands out. Lots of people hate that cover, i dig it.

I remember when the Tony Martin era stuff came out and it just wasn't Sabbath to me. Maybe i should give it a chance. But Headless Cross i hated when it came out. Sometimes time can change opinions.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 9:40:43 PM PST
mitch says:
Headless Cross is just too cheesy in the lyric department..couple great tracks but something about it screams trying too hard..Tyr is the only Sabbath album I don't own..is it better than Eternal Idol?

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:17:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 7:17:34 AM PST
patc71s says:
Sabotage
Heaven & Hell
Black Sabbath
Mob Rules
Paranoid
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Volume 4
Technical Ecstacy
Never Say Die!
Master of Reality
Born Again

list always subject to change and can only rate their studio efforts from 1970-1983

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 7:35:31 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Sabotage
Black Sabbath
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Volume 4
Heaven and Hell
Master of Reality
Headless Cross
Mob Rules

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 12:55:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 12:56:49 AM PST
Chet Fakir says:
Paranoid
Master Of Reality
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Vol. 4
Black Sabbath
Sabotage
Heaven And Hell
Mob Rules
Never Say Die
Tyr
Technical Ecstasy
Headless Cross
Born Again

I'm unfamiliar with the rest.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 10:24:19 AM PST
Ash Krueger says:
I'd definitely check out "Dehumanizer." Heavy, heavy. "Computer God," "After All (The Dead)," "I," "Letters from Earth," "Time Machine," and "TV Crimes" are great. Eternal Idol, as some others have said, isn't bad either. IMO, not as good as Dehumanizer, but still a great record. The title track is classic doomy Sabbath. "The Shining" is also one of my all time favorite Black Sabbath tunes.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 11:17:29 AM PST
mitch says:
^The Shining is a great tune, great Iommi riff and great vocal

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:01:03 PM PST
Paranoid
Heaven & Hell
Black Sabbath
Volume 4
Mob Rules

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 6:07:01 PM PDT
******bump********

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 10:08:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2013 10:40:17 AM PDT
1.) Black Sabbath - S/T
2.) 'Master of Reality'
3.) 'Paranoid'
4.) 'Heaven and Hell'
5.) 'Sabotage'
6.) 'Vol IV'
7.) 'Born Again'
8.) 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'
9.) 'Mob Rules'
10.) 'Never Say Die'
11.) Everything else is interchangable depending on mood/day

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 4:37:37 AM PDT
* Black Sabbath *

1. Sabotage (Hole in the Sky)
2. Masters of Reality (Into the Void)
3. Heaven and Hell (Neon Knights)
4. Vol. 4 (Supernaut)
5. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (A National Acrobat)
5. Mob Rules (Mob Rules)
6. Black Sabbath (The Wizard)
7. Technical Ecstasy (You Won't Change Me)
8. Paranoid (Planet Caravan)
9. Born Again (Zero the Hero)
10. The Devil You Know (Bible Black)
11. 13 (Age of Reason)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 8:09:02 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
1. Paranoid
2. Master Of Reality
3. Black Sabbath
4. Sabotage
5. Vol 4
6. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
7. Heaven And Hell
8. Mob Rules
9. 13
10. Born Again
11. Never Say Die
12. Technical Ecstasy
13. Dehumanizer
14. The Devil You Know
15. Headless Cross
16. Tyr
17. Cross Purposes

not a big fan of the others left

*#1 through 6 are pretty interchangable depending on mood

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 8:41:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2013 8:45:48 AM PDT
WNBS,

Good call on 'The Wizard'. One of my favorite drums tracks of all time. As blasphemous as it may sound, I never really cared all THAT much for the opening track, 'Black Sabbath'. It was all creepy and vibey for sure, but as a musician, it kind of bored the pants off me playing the tri-tone and applying vibrato to try and flesh out the sustain of those notes. But when Iommi and the band finally let loose in the last quarter of the song, it was all worth it. That's the song to me - that ending. And then right into 'The Wizard'.

I'd have pegged your favorite from 'Technical Ecstasy' as 'Dirty Women' because of, well...because of the song title. (smirk)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 9:43:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2013 9:45:08 AM PDT
I was just listening to 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' (album) and almost wanted to start a yet another Black Sabbath thread, but since there's already so many, I'll just ask here.

What are your top 5 worst Ozzy-era songs?

Mine:
1.) 'Who Are You'?
2.) 'Changes'
3.) 'It's Alright'
4.) 'Am I Going Insane (Radio)'
5.) 'FX' (um...where are the effects?)

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 11:19:21 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
I agree completely with Who Are You, FX, and Am I Going Insane. I'd add Supertzar and All Moving Parts
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Metal forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  138
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions