Customer Discussions > Metal forum

That album where a band went commercial

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2012 6:57:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 6:59:38 PM PST
Ash Krueger says:
I've been compiling a list of instances where fairly revered heavy bands have made an album that sounded very clearly like an attempt at mainstream success. There are plenty of bands who just tried something different musically but not for the intention of radio play. For instance, Priest did Nostradamus, Iggy Pop did Preliminaries, Thin Lizzy did Thunder and Lightning, etc. Those were changes in musical direction in the form of experimentation. They don't meet the criteria. No, I'm looking for bands who went glam, or grunge, or pop, or industrial, to fit in with what was big at that given time. They can be successful or unsuccessful. Examples I've come up with:

Judas Priest- Turbo(pop/Glam)
Celtic Frost- Cold Lake (Glam)
Slayer- Diabolus in Musica (Nu Metal)
Alice Cooper- Brutal Planet (Industrial)
Ted Nugent- Craveman (Industrial/nu influence)
Kiss- Carnival of Souls: The Final Sessions (Grunge)
Dio- Angry Machines (Some Industrial)

By the way, the Alice Cooper and DIO efforts are favorites of mine, the rest not so much.

What other bands went for what was at the time a more mainstream sound?

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 7:26:56 AM PST
jgamerfl says:
I would argue that Alice Cooper went commercial a lot earlier with either Flush the Fashion which added New Wave influences, or with Trash which had glam metal influences. Both of these albums are great, but are vastly different than the typical Alice Cooper hard rock sound.

Queensryche- Dedicated to Chaos is also what I would consider a sellout. The band abandons their prog metal sound and goes pop.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 7:32:25 AM PST
vivazappa says:
The Black Album...nuff said!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 7:41:05 AM PST
Ash Krueger says:
Good point. Alice has done that a couple times and has surprisingly got good results with it. He's always been a great lyricist and surrounded himself with good producers and songwriters. I think that's probably helped.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:30:09 AM PST
No.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:31:01 AM PST
mitch says:
QueensRyche- Empire, my favorite sell-out album of all time, epic commercial watered down song writing with great vocals
Megadeth- Countdown to Extinction - arena metal non thrash for the most part-- not bad, a lot of cheese though
Slayer- DIM - terrible
Metallica- black album, obviously
Sepultura- Chaos A.d. - non thrash, groove, the problem with this is Pantera was actually good at the groove, Sep not so much imo
Overkill- I hear Black - same thing as above
Anthrax- Sound of White Noise, non thrash- kinda grungy hard rock commercial attempt
Entombed - Wolverine Blues- death n roll take 1
At the Gates- Slaughter of the Soul- melodic and watered down, I never liked them to begin with so this didn't disturb me
Motley Crue- Theater of Pain- they always made music for the radio, but this one is where they started to get really watery

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 10:32:27 AM PST
Ash Krueger says:
Hey, what can I say? I'm a little biased in my Alice Cooper love.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 11:30:07 AM PST
Bobage says:
Juuuuust a tad...

*holds fingers a half inch apart*

If you followed his records into the 80's, you are indeed a braver soul than I.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 12:06:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 12:07:21 PM PST
C. Harding says:
vivazappa says:
The Black Album...nuff said!
------------------------------------
Actually, it started before that, when they made the video for "One." This was after insisting for years they had no use for or interest in that stuff. That video was their first foray into mainstream media and it has always made me wonder if Cliff Burton was the true backbone of their artistic integrity and what path they might have taken had he not passed when he did.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 1:49:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 1:50:26 PM PST
Ash Krueger says:
I own everything he's ever put out. However one wants to take that. LOL. Actually one of my favorite albums of his is 1983's "DaDa." It's weird and all over the place musically but it has one of his creepier concepts and the lyrics range between hilarious and disturbing. It's got a song about a guy whose father sold him into prostitution after the death of his mother as the first cut! Well, technically track 2. Track 1 is a spoken word bit with creepy heavy background music about a mentally ill guy who talks about his kids taking care of him. A number of songs relate to a guy who goes out killing at night to bring home his cannibal attic-living brother fresh blood to eat. Of course, I think it's pretty implied lyrically that all the songs tell stories about all this guy's different personalities. He's every character he talks about. The album winds down with an awesome depressing ballad called "Pass the Gun Around," which features a pretty good guitar solo.

Sadly I also enjoy most of Special Forces, Zipper Catches Skin, and Constrictor from the 80s. Flush the Fashion is, for me, his weakest album. Though it has "Pain," "Clones," and "Grim Facts," which are good tunes. "Raise Your Fist and Yell" is very 80s metal but the songs are very enjoyable. Especially the last 3 songs on the album, "Chop, Chop, Chop," "Gail," and "Roses on White Lace." Which again, tell a bit of a story about a serial killer. I also like Trash with the exception of the title track.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 2:14:19 PM PST
mitch says:
what about Hey Stoopid and The Last Temptation?

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 2:28:46 PM PST
British Steel-Judas Priest-Their 70s material was much less commercial.
Metallica-Metallica-Black album. Maybe Cliffs death was the end of the brilliance of band.
Empire-Queensryche-This album and Geoff Tate have killed this once great band.
Diver Down-Van Halen
Countdown To Extinction-Megadeth-Still a good album.
Agents Of Fortune-Blue Oyster Cult
Permanent Vacation-Aerosmith
Down To Earth-Rainbow-Blowing out Dio to be more commercial is a sin.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 2:39:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 2:48:25 PM PST
L. Bazan says:
All That Remains- Overcome( made me no longer a fan)
In Flames- anything after Re route
Testament- The Ritual( still a decent outing)
Metallica- The Black Album
Anthrax- Sound of White Noise
Slayer- Diabolous in Musica
Dark Tranquillity- Projector
The Haunted- Dead Eye
Mastodon- Crack the Skye(still enjoy it)
Machine Head- The Burning Red( terrible album but still better than most nu metal at the time)
Megadeth- Risk
A Perfect Circle- Emotiv
Entombed- Wolverine Blues
Dissection- Reinkaos
Morbid Angel- Illud Divinum Insanus
The Black Dahlia Murder( any album these guys suck!!)
Thrice- Vheissue
Nine Inch Nails- With Teeth
Trivium- The Crusade
Carcass- Swan Song
Killswitch Engage- The End of Heartache

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 6:03:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2012 6:21:34 AM PST
Ash Krueger says:
Great albums. But I was talking the dark 80s period. Alice was so drunk he didn't even remember recording Special Forces through Dada. Hey Stoopid is one of my favorites. Last Temptation also has some killer tunes though too. "Nothing's Free," "Sideshow," "Stolen Prayer," "Your My Temptation," "Cleansed in Fire," "Bad Place Alone..."

My List in order:

Love it to Death
Killer
Billion Dollar Babies
Welcome to My Nightmare
Brutal Planet
DaDa
Hey Stoopid
From the Inside
Last Temptation
Trash
School's Out
Goes to Hell
Zipper Catches Skin
Raise Your Fist and Yell
DragonTown
Welcome 2 My Nightmare
Along Came a Spider
Eyes of Alice Cooper
Flush the Fashion
Lace and Whiskey
Constrictor
Special Forces
Muscle of Love
Dirty Diamonds
Easy Action
Pretties for You

So I guess Flush would be higher than I though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 6:25:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2012 6:28:15 AM PST
Ash Krueger says:
Yes Rainbow definitely went more commercial with Down to Earth. However, I'll take Down to Earth over anything that followed. It still had some power with Graham on vocals. Joe Lynn Turner is technically a good singer, don't get me wrong. But he's a pop singer. He's the guy they always bring in when they want to get on the radio. Deep Purple tried the same thing with him in the early 90s. Probably the hardest stuff he's ever done is with Yngwie. That being said "I Surrender" and "Street of Dreams" are catchy tunes. Even though "I Surrender" was penned by Argent's Russ Ballard. And curses! I also like some of Slave and Masters but it sure doesn't sound very Deep Purple.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 10:04:53 AM PST
celtic frost- cold lake
Y+T- In rock we trust
Whitesnake- slide it in
Gary Moore-Still got the blues
Pat Travers- Blues tracks
Shotgun Messiah- Violent new breed

These are all albums I can think of that made a big change or a final push to a new direction with celtic frost being the exception after the beat down he got for putting out that album

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:59:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:00:49 PM PST
SS-V says:
Paradise Lost - HOST
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son..
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry
Hittman - Viva Machina
Lizzy Borden - Visual Lies

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 6:03:01 AM PST
Venusfly91 says:
"Thrice - Vheissue"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcatQSyRK6c

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:04:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 6:10:03 AM PST
Venusfly91 says:
Must... keep... opinions... about... Machine Head... and... Pantera... to self.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:51:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 8:52:25 AM PST
A customer says:
Please. Pantera started commercial, then only got more so as the years went by.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:56:38 AM PST
I've seen some posts concerning Slayer's Diabolus in Musica as being commercial. To a point, I could see this. At the same time, a change in direction doesn't necessarily warrant the commercial stamp and I think some tracks like Bitter Peace, Death's Head, Perversions of Pain, Desire and Point are fine numbers within the Slayer catalogue and just because Diabolus has a different feel than Divine Intervention(hey there's a 5 yr gap there), doesn't necessarily mean that its terrible. That being said, the follow-up God Hates Us All is fairly brutal and is quite the opposite from what they had done on Musica previous. In retrospect, I think it was an imperitive move on their part to expand their sound with a release like DIM.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 11:57:07 PM PST
Kiss went commerical long before Carnival. Anyone remember "Beth" and "I Was Made For Loving You"?

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 12:23:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 12:23:28 AM PST
Surely "Welcome to my nightmare" shifted Alice onto a whole new level altogether.

"Machine head" by Purple introduced a riff into every guitar shop.

That's enough from this fossil, I gotta have a Horlicks and hitch up my pants now.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:08:54 AM PST
A customer says:
So basically, when Alice went solo? That's usually how it work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:18:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 1:18:12 AM PST
Oh I don't know.

Usually it works the other way.

Just ask Jimmy Page or Chris Cornell or Perry Farrell or Dave Navarro and so on .....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions