Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Metal forum

HMBEST

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 3:12:28 PM PST
MyRidesHere says:
What's that one heavy metal album that set the standard for all the others?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:08:08 PM PST
Bobage says:
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

From the opening bell chiming in the pouring rain, you know your perception of music as a whole is about to be altered forever. How ruthlessly diabolical of them to just drop that on the earth and challenge its inhabitants to concieve of the never before experienced evil within. Hail.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:11:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 4:13:20 PM PST
A customer says:
Oh, well if it isn't mister I'm-too-good-to-burn-my-fingers-on-a-vacuum-tube himself.

I jest. It's got to be Black Sabbath's Paranoid. More a legend than an album at this point, and deservedly so.

Ah, Bobage and I are on a similar wavelength. The debut may have come first, but I still say Paranoid is the absolute gold standard for all of metal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 4:34:30 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Hail indeed. (kneels to ground and bows head - as the opener track transposes from the speakers).

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:28:18 AM PST
mitch says:
Judas Priest- Stained Class --drop the blues, up the speed, metal is born

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:32:05 AM PST
mitch says:
And after the Sabb and Priest albums it's undoubtedly Metallica - Kill em All

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:33:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 9:35:51 AM PST
After Sabbath and Priest, but before Metallica, Motorhead-Ace Of Spades. Make it a three piece, up the speed (again), add punk, get rid of bird song singing, and prove that ugly dudes, with huge warts, can be the front man. Underground metal is born.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:01:25 AM PST
After Sabbath, Priest, Motorhead and Metallica its got to be Slayer's Reign In Blood or Iron Maiden's Iron Maiden.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:30:22 AM PST
mitch says:
I'll add Mercyful Fate- Melissa and Don't Break The Oath, 2 truly giant landmark releases, kinda taking the Priest sound to it's logical extreme and introducing truly Satanic lyrics and imagery even before Slayer My forward pathway in metal was always Sabbath-Priest- Mercyful Fate- Slayer

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:04:15 PM PST
Zaplightning says:
I agree with all the bands mentioned and will add a few more. Early Bathory & Hellhammer.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:30:33 PM PST
We can't forget Possessed-Seven Churches. Even today it defies genre labeling (is it thrash, black metal, death metal?....who the hell knows) as much as it did when the genres were starting up. Whatever it is, it's technical. Technical metal is born.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:35:33 PM PST
mitch says:
add early Celtic Frost, inspired a ton of death metal and black metal.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:24:04 PM PST
mitch says:
Id say Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion along with the first 4 Bathory albums had some influence on your 2nd wave BM heroes. And all Hellhammer as well, of course.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:30:57 AM PST
Ash Krueger says:
I don't know if you mean what album set the standard as a whole or for me personally.

For me personally, my first 20 hard rock/metal albums purchased:

1. Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell
2. Dio- Holy Diver
3. Alice Cooper- Killer
4. King Diamond- Abigail
5. Motorhead- Ace of Spades
6. Uriah Heep- Look at Yourself
7. Deep Purple- In Rock
8. Motley Crue- Too Fast for Love
9. Slayer- South of Heaven
10. Savatage- In The Hall of the Mountain King
11. Dokken- Tooth and Nail
12. White Zombie- La Sexorcisto Devil Music Vol. 1
13. Ozzy Osbourne- Blizzard of Oz
14. Accept- Balls to the Wall
15. Celtic Frost- Into the Pandemonium
16. Rollins Band- Weight
17. King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King
18. Helloween- Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1
19. Type O Negative- Bloody Kisses
20. Anthrax- Spreading the Disease

Most are pretty standard albums that just about everyone has or has heard. Particularly, I remember hearing "No More Mister Nice Guy," "Rainbow in the Dark," "Hells Bells," "Thunder Kiss 1965," and "Sweet Leaf." They got a lot of play on the classic rock station I would listen to. Except for the White Zombie song. I bought that album on a whim and was very happy with my purchase. Same thing with King Diamond. I saw the album cover and thought, "This looks killer." I put it in and remember thinking I was hellbound for listening. Those were the days.

Historically I think Black Sabbath S/T, Metallica Kill Em' All, AC/DC Back in Black, and Alice in Chains Dirt seem to have had a huge impact on the music that followed. Particularly Sabbath. But each of those albums have had that kind of crossover appeal where people that aren't really metal heads know to namedrop them whenever hard rock or metal music comes up. Let's face it, there's also a very thin line between hard rock and metal where the general public is concerned. Hence the reason Poison, Nirvana, Kiss, and a few others like that are always lumped into metal in the mainstream media.

Cases could be made for albums having been the starting point for particular sub-genres within metal too. Black Sabbath obviously greatly impacted doom. Like others have said, Possessed, Bathory, Venom, and Celtic Frost had a profound impact on black and death metal. He's had his metal moments though not 100% a metal artist, Alice Cooper definitely paved the way for King Diamond, Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Gwar, and Lordi. Uriah Heep and Rainbow most likely put down the groundwork for power metal and Motorhead and Accept had more than a hand in developing thrash and speed. The New York Dolls and Motley Crue can be blamed for glam. Rush and King Crimson were favorites of guys that went on to form bands like Queensryche, Watchtower, Dream Theater, and Fate's Warning. Aerosmith and Montrose inspired Van Halen and Van Halen in turn inspired legions of air guitar-friendly party rock bands. The Stooges, MC5, The Ramones, and the Sex Pistols most definitely opened the doors for bands like Bad Brains, Black Flag, Madball, D.R.I., and Minor Threat. Point is, every original concept leaves it open for hundreds of similar successors and even those original bands have elements that can be traced back to their idols.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:28:33 PM PST
A TJ H F says:
Hellhammer may have been influential, but they never released an lp, and all the material excluding Apocalyptic Raids was totally amateur crap, just bad music. I wouldn't put them (or Celtic Frost for that matter) in the same league as other 80s bands like Metallica, Slayer and Bathory.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:33:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 4:33:54 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Celtic Frost on Morbid Tales alone dropped a pretty seriously killer album and I would most definitely rank it right up there with Bathory. Metallica and Slayer don't play like that - so I wouldn't make that comparison either - but Morbid Tales - in 1984 and To Mega Therion in 85 - I'd 100% say influenced bigtime the progression of a lot of bands and the fact that Obituary covered THEM on their second hands down classic death metal masterpiece says A LOT.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:14:37 PM PST
Ash Krueger says:
I mostly agree with your Hellhammer assessment. I bought the "Demon Entrails" CD that came out awhile a go and it was a hard listen for me. The production was abysmal and the playing was nothing to write home about. But in a way that's what Black Metal is known for. Hellhammer was the original badly produced, sloppy, but atmospheric northern European black metal unit. All their imperfections are what most black metal purists love.

Now, Celtic Frost, that's another matter. I love Celtic Frost and the reason I revere them so highly is because they are the opposite of Hellhammer. (By the way I know Hellhammer kind of morphed into Celtic Frost.) Frost was extremely creative, experimental (and the experimentation worked more often than not), showcased a greater instrumental know-how, featured a pioneering vocal style (as well as an early example of the "beauty and beast" vocal trade off that would become much more common later on), and had more focused compositions. I feel they were a very creative band that wasn't afraid to take chances. They helped usher in black and death metal, experimental metal, and thrash. They dabbled in Glam and Doom. I would place them ahead of Metallica and Bathory in my book. I love Bathory and though I'm not a big Metallica guy, I understand the importance of those early albums but Celtic Frost is one of my all time favorite bands. I'd put them right there with Slayer.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:57:28 PM PST
mitch says:
Celtic Frost was hugely important for developing the sound that would become extreme metal in general. One of the most influential bands of all time, without question, when it comes to all forms of extreme metal. Dark Throne, Napalm Death, and Obituary all hail CF as a major influence. Dark Throne and Obituary, who are very successful in their own right, pretty much are CF worship on their most famous albums. Celtic Frost also remains relevant today, with recent releases being noteworthy. I'd say besides Slayer and possibly Bathory, Celtic Frost is the most influential extreme metal band of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:18:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 6:24:00 PM PST
A TJ H F says:
Only on half of Panzerfaust did Darkthrone really emulate Celtic Frost, and there's the occasional riff/song here and there (In the Shadow of the Horns).
But I seriously don't understand the praise for To Mega Therion. For me Into the Pandemonium is their peak. I know they had this exotic riffing style completely their own, but the vocals were just totally monotone and (imo) stupid sounding, while the lead guitar completely incompetent. Morbid Tales is ok, but mostly very dry songs. Sometimes it feels like it's more about adolescent angst and silly underground ideologies and aesthetics than trying to write good music, when it comes to a lot of black metal. This applies to most bands, just read those interviews they would do in the fanzines in the 80s and 90s. It's like pro wrestling promos, but usually satanic.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 9:33:07 PM PST
mitch says:
^you can't deny their influence though, it's huge, like I said only second to Slayer and possibly Bathory..They were far more influential then Venom I'd say..Morbid Tales is Obituary's career basically..The CF influence is felt in A Blaze in the Northern Sky and as you said Panzerfaust even more so.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:29:11 AM PST
A TJ H F says:
But only Obituary is referred to excessively in this case, as if they're all that important. And many exaggerate like you did there. Obituary wore the influence clearly, but at the same time had their own sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:18:03 AM PST
MyRidesHere says:
I'm not-too-good-to-dig-a-grave-and-throw-your-accusatory-over-inflated-opinionated-one-sided-dilapitated-body-in-and-stick-a-burning-cross-over-it!
This discussion is about music.Nothing more,nothing less.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:59:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 9:59:54 AM PST
mitch says:
Ok, so are you saying that Celtic Frost was not a major influence on black and death metal and only influenced the band Obituary, and this is often exaggerated? Hmm, ok. It's hard to argue about what band is more influential and who they influenced and how much. You seem to think Celtic Frost was not to special of a band and that's fine. Trust me it's one of those cases where Celtic Frost is your favorite band's favorite band. You may not give them credit, but all the bands you listen to do, I promise you that.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 10:02:42 AM PST
mitch says:
By the way, I admitted they were below Sabb, priest, slayer, bathory as far as influence goes, but even that's arguable. Being in the tier just below those bands is still a special place to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 3:09:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 3:24:21 PM PST
Are you really listening to what you are listening to....Black and Death metal are dripping with Celtic Frost influence.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Metal forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions