Customer Discussions > Metal forum

Your Guilty Pleasure

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 271 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:42:37 AM PST
C. Harding says:
I love 80s hair metal and I don't feel guilty about it. Someone has to support aging rock stars! haha

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:04:11 PM PST
A customer says:
The Black Parade was okay. Dark Days was masterful.

Skid Row's good. I prefer LA Guns. There's a guilty pleasure for ya.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:00:54 PM PST
i would consider just about any thing in hair metal a guilty pleasure...although im not sure Skid Row (first 3 albums) qualifies as hair metal....regardless, I LOVE THEM!!!!!

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:12:10 PM PST
Justin G. says:
All righty then. I myself LOVED The Black Parade. I still have that in heavy rotation.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:35:12 AM PST
A customer says:
Accept no substitutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:13:04 AM PST
Justin G. says:
MCR - My Chemical Romance?

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:11:43 PM PST
A customer says:
What's wrong with Deftones? They're fricken' awesome.

I should have mentioned in the most anticipated thread, I can't wait for the new MCR to drop. It'll be a tall order to top Dark Days.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:01:08 PM PST
Obiturized says:
Oh yeah, I like Godsmack too, and of course Alice in Chains, and Marilyn Manson.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:59:38 PM PST
Obiturized says:
Hmm, well, here we go, I mostly listen to old school thrash and death metal, but theres some nu-metal/alternative that I like, I still listen to all my Korn albums, the Deftones albums, Disturbed, System of a Down, and yes I also like stuff like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, even the first Audioslave, and early Stone Temple Pilots, but I like a lot of NON-metal music as well, but I tried to keep it as metal/rock as I could, I like this forum, haha

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:29:31 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 14, 2013 8:00:40 PM PST]

Posted on May 24, 2012 7:58:42 AM PDT
k scott says:
@ Justin
Oh so close. One small town away. Hell, Va actually came from when I lived the city of Alexandria right by Old Towne.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 6:46:30 PM PDT
Justin G. says:
Entirely possible. Your profile says you live in Hell, VA, which can only mean Manassas.

Posted on May 23, 2012 1:36:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 1:37:38 PM PDT
k scott says:
@ J. Gaines

Glad to see someone carrying on the flame. Dude, do you live like down the street from me or something. I wasn't expecting this chat to be knocking on my back door literally.

Posted on May 23, 2012 1:34:13 PM PDT
k scott says:
@ M. Smith

I always thought that the guitar player for Kajagoogoo was George Lynch in drag or his gay twin. What a video.

Posted on May 23, 2012 1:15:04 PM PDT
You guys all forgot Kajagoogoo. Great stuff, especially their demo's.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 1:12:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 1:14:58 PM PDT
Justin G. says:
I've been going to Jaxx since '98 and remember the neon cutouts all too well. They kept booking the bands l wanted to see, so I can't complain. Of course the new owners aren't as metal-friendly, so I'll be making the drive to Baltimore Saturday night to see Rhapsody of Fire and Voyager.

And no, the clubs in DC aren't in the best areas, but if that's where I need to go to see the bands I'm interested in, so be it. I can't expect Accept and Kreator to come to Gainesville just to play for me.

Posted on May 23, 2012 11:56:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 11:56:46 AM PDT
k scott says:
@ Brute

I was not trying to imply that the MD scene sucks. I did praise Phantasmagoria after all. And if you live 45 mins W from DC and Balt is at least 45 mins from DC, the math adds up. I wish I could have gone to see Behemoth recently but there is no way. Richmond has almost the same scene as Baltimore but anything in between and you are SOL for the most part. Have I seen good shows in NOVA. Yes. Did I like where I was at, how the people treated you and general overall atmosphere, NO. Enough of this though. I pick my grave to sleep in. Sorry I complained.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 11:40:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 11:42:47 AM PDT
2 hours...where the heck do you live..Virginia?

...and some of the clubs blow, no doubt, but I dont think that means the MD metal scene is crap

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 11:39:03 AM PDT
k scott says:
I have played with Deceased many times. Partied with King, Les and the others over some years. But I don't hang in the circle any more.

Plus most of the shows go to Baltimore these days. And I am not going to drive almost 2 hours to go to Deathfest. Yes, I chose where I live. But this area is a proverbeal "close but no cigar".

Posted on May 23, 2012 11:31:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 12:09:20 PM PDT
k scott says:
@ Justin

Jaxx has been a s-hole for years and years. I have played there many times. But for the longest time if you wanted to see a band you had to go there. I know there are clubs now that are fighting for the bands that are coming in town. For YEARS, Jaxx had handmade neon cardboard bands names on the wall. It was by far the cheesiest and most pathetic thing I have ever seen. I have been going to Jaxx, and the places all beforer it for 25 years. If you saw what I saw over that time, you might agreee with me.

As far as DC goes, I go to DC ONLY if I have to. I am at the age that shows in DC mean nothing to me. Have you almost been jacked in DC? I have and f that place. By the way if you haven't noticed most of the clubs are in the worst part of town, but then again things don't always stay the way the were or have been.

I have played the Velvet Lounge and one of the best clubs, inop, Phantasmagoria(RIP) among others. Phantasmagoria was the best place to go see shows. Sad it is gone.But this is all from one persons opinion that may or may not be jaded.

If you have ever been to Phantasmagoria and Jack's and want to know why I think Phantasmagoria was better was because of the atmosphere and the people there were COOL!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 10:54:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 10:55:46 AM PDT
Really?...Living just outside of Baltimore, both I and DC Heavy Metal.com disagree. Hell, Deceased is from Arlington and Ilsa is from D.C.

..in fact tomorrow is the start of one of the biggest U.S. metal festivals and its right here in Baltimore

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 10:03:09 AM PDT
Justin G. says:
The local clubs are a joke? Until recently, that was not the case. Jaxx in Springfield was a magnet for most metal tours, and the bigger acts almost always hit DC.

Posted on May 23, 2012 8:57:08 AM PDT
k scott says:
I am jealous of the people that grew up in Southern California. Metal was everywhere you went. Were I live just outside of Washington DC, quality metal is an afterthought. The local clubs are a joke and I can say that from playing them and going to them. It makes going to see our "guilty pleasure" bands that much harder.

Posted on May 23, 2012 8:34:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 9:00:05 AM PDT
k scott says:
@ Samantha

Yeah KPOI 98 Rock in Hawaii really supported Oingo Boingo. Growing up with that radio station really introduced me to a lot of bands, especially with their Saturday night metal show. It was truelly priceless. When I moved back to the states I asked people about Oingo Boingo and they were like "Who??". No one had ever heard of them.

Seeing the video of the Depeche show at the Rose Bowl cemented me as a fan. Don't think I could trade seeing Pink Floyd from 12 rows back but it's a thought.

Posted on May 23, 2012 6:35:53 AM PDT
C. Harding says:
I love DevilDriver for the drums and riffs, but I can't disagree with Bobage's take on the lyrics. They're stupid. But I think that about a lot of the lyrics in the metal I listen to. heh
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Metal forum

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  271
Initial post:  May 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions