Customer Discussions > Metal forum

New Marilyn Manson

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 30, 2012 7:01:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2012 5:54:10 AM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
I thought I would see how others feel about "Born Villian." I was never a huge fan of Marilyn Manson until about 2 years ago. I don't know what happened but his music finally clicked with me and I went back and bought up every album he put out. I enjoy "Potrait of An American Family," I feel "Antichrist Superstar" is a bit overrated, I loved Holy Wood and Mechanical Animals, I thought "Golden Age of Grotesque" was pretty entertaining, I actually loved "Eat Me Drink Me," and I found "The High End of Low" to be uneven but not without its share of good tunes. When I saw the video Manson did with Shia Lebouf a few months back, I didn't know what to think. Fast forward a couple months, he drops "No Reflection." Better but no masterpiece. I just picked up the album today and I have to say my initial thought was, "meh." That was from the first two songs. As the album chugs along I started really getting into what he was doing. I think the album gets better as it goes. It's definitely an experimental album with some "art rock" flourishes. I find I have a hard time explaining its merits but there's something about it I really dig. There are no ballads so to speak and there aren't any realy in-your-face rockers either. Each song moves along in a pace all its own. The tempo changes somehow enhance the songs though. It's also his most "industrial" album in a long time. The lyrics this time around feel like a lot of poetic rambling and yet they gel quite well with the musical soundscape. Some bits were almost spoken word and reminded me of a Rollins Band track.

Anyway, thoughts?

Posted on May 1, 2012 10:02:49 PM PDT
wippernaut says:
Hmm may have to check it out. I haven't enjoyed his past few albums, and I agree with Antichrist Superstar being a bit overrated. I love Mechanical Animals, one of the best rock albums of the 90's. Anyway I'll have to really check this out and I like your review. My step-dad just got back from a Manson show so I'll have to ask him how that was.

Posted on May 2, 2012 1:01:43 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
New Manson Album out already (looks around wildly!) woot! Thanks for the heads up. I knew one was coming out but hadn't realized it was released - yesterday. I've been a Manson fan ever since about '97 and started out with a used disc of "Smells like Children" when he was still something like "The reverend Marilyn Manson" with lots of fake eyelashes and a big top hat. Well, it worked on him. Anyhow I like "Eat me Drink me" also. The only one I don't have is "High end of Low", will just get both the new and "high end". I love them ALL!

Have not seen a video of Manson with Shia Lebouf (the tramsformers guy?). Will have to look that up. I have seen him with Eminem though. Such a mis-matched pair, I thought. But they apparently must like each other! I just had to laugh and shake my head when I saw Eminem doing his thing, and Manson doing his, all on the same stage.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 2:11:12 PM PDT
What "thing" were they doing?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 4:55:23 PM PDT
wtf is 'woot'???

Posted on May 2, 2012 5:17:27 PM PDT
A TJ H F says:
2 years ago or so he said he would go in a more "death metal" direction. What a load... But I still like this album, though they'll never reach the heights of the tryptich again.

Posted on May 2, 2012 9:49:33 PM PDT
A customer says:
Eminem did a remix of "The Way I Am" featuring Manson. They have performed it live. It's not as good as the original.

Woot is an exclaimation of happiness stemming from the excitement of finding treasure (ie, a portmanteau of "woo!" and "loot!") in certain operant conditioning-heavy games like hack'n'slash RPG's, MMORPG's and dungeon crawlers. Legend of Zelda, World of Warcraft, Diablo II, etc.

Keep abreast as per the correct spelling of "triptych". It's not a commonly used word, but still.

I've only checked out the Carly Simon cover thus far. It's pretty good, and I'll be looking into the album soon.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 10:04:02 PM PDT
ricky says:
you talking about demon hunter?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 5:47:43 AM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
Yeah, that's him. He directed the music video. Which is pretty twisted by the way. Let's just say eyeballs are placed in places one would never imagine.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 7:25:34 AM PDT
A TJ H F says:
But that's nothing compared to all the skin pearcing, knee suspensions and cheek skewering. None of which is fake.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:48:28 PM PDT
andy: d.d. says:
What the f is a knee suspension?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:53:23 PM PDT
A customer says:
Ever seen that movie Strangeland? Check this out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_(body_modification)

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 5:17:04 PM PDT
Jesus. It's like those prescription drug commercials.

Have low self esteem? Knee suspension will make you feel cool and earn you the respect of a new class of freaky friends. Ask your doctor for knee suspension.*

*Possible side effects. It is not considered to be an extremely painful suspension, but the drawbacks include lower back pain and ripping of skin in the areas around the knees. Another factor of this suspension is the increased blood pressure to the brain due to the inverted position, which can lead to disorientation and cause headaches.

Posted on May 3, 2012 10:25:44 PM PDT
A customer says:
I'm through. This is without a doubt one of mANSON's best albums, right up there with Antichrist Superstar. Very happy. Check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 1:36:22 PM PDT
That sounded kinda dirty man.....

Posted on May 4, 2012 1:52:23 PM PDT
mitch says:
Eh I can't resist, Marilyn Manson???? Wow, really???? Really I tried to hold off and just ignore this thread, but I couldn't resist.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 8:06:37 PM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
Strangeland is awesome. I really wish Deen Snider had gotten that sequel made. He did do a comic book continuation a few years back.

Posted on May 4, 2012 8:50:56 PM PDT
A customer says:
It was great until the ending. Was Dee Snider high? How could he have possibly thought that someone who paid to see a movie like Strangeland would want to see some stock happy ending? Rule of thumb for horror movies: If the murderer is a more interesting character than his victims, kill off the victims, not the other way around. Other than that, good movie. Dee Snider was a big boy. Such a physically and psychologically menacing villain.

Posted on May 5, 2012 7:18:08 AM PDT
Marilyn Manson on the metal forum. lol.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 7:18:32 PM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
Well, classification aside, I doubt folks who routinely discuss the Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, The Who, Howlin' Wolf, Elvis, and Little Richard are going to be talking about Marilyn Manson so it's just as good a place as any. Not that there's anything wrong with the bands I just listed, in fact they're awesome. Just saying Manson probably has more of a following in the metal community than he does with the classic rock community.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 1:49:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2012 1:49:55 PM PDT
Don't sweat it. VH isn't metal (?) but we had a pretty successful discussion about them here too. I know that some of the people who post here spin some m manson occasionally; along with rap.

Heavy music or metal. It's a dividing line between many here in the forum.
Your reply to andy: d.d.'s post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on May 8, 2012 9:38:42 PM PDT
Wow it's really embarrassing how many people actually listen to this crap still.....this guy is all stage show and no musicianship....need proof listen to some of the terrible riffs found on ACS.

Posted on May 9, 2012 7:22:45 AM PDT
A TJ H F says:
Antichrist Superstar is a metal album, as in legit industrial metal. So nothing wrong with bringing it up on this forum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 8:23:27 AM PDT
LOL a metal album, believe me I've heard it, it's not metal. Ministry Industrial Metal I will agree to that but Marilyn Manson pleeeeeease. LOL

Posted on May 10, 2012 6:21:03 AM PDT
C. Harding says:
From now on, everyone clear the bands, artists, albums and songs you'd like to discuss here with Anders first. He will be the final judge on their metalness and, therefore, whether or not we are allowed to discuss them here. lol
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Apr 30, 2012
Latest post:  May 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions