Customer Discussions > Metal forum

Saxon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 2, 2012 7:40:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 7:45:12 PM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
Okay guys, here's another classic British metal band that has put out some killer albums in their long career. They may be one of the few bands whose recent output has been just as good if not better than the majority of their 80s heyday. I mean "Wheels of Steel," "Denim and Leather," and "Strong Arm of the Law" are killer but ever since the early 2000s they've been pounding out stellar material too. What era of Saxon is your favorite? Favorite albums? Songs? I'll just start by listing my top 25 Saxon tracks in no particular order.

1. Denim and Leather
2. Never Surrender
3. Princess of the Night
4. To Hell and Back Again
5. Rainbow Theme/Frozen Rainbow
6. Heavy Metal Thunder
7. Strong Arm of the Law
8. 747 (Strangers in the Night)
9. Wheels of Steel
10. Motorcycle Man
11. Broken Heroes
12. Everybody Up
13. I Can't Wait Anymore
14. Requiem (We Will Remember)
15. The Power and the Glory
16. Do it All For You
17. Cut Out the Disease
18. Metalhead
19. Are We Travellers in Time
20. Killing Ground
21. Beyond the Grave
22. Red Star Falling
23. Valley of the Kings
24. Witchfinder General
25. Dogs of War

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 9:05:12 PM PDT
Saxon is a band I have always liked. but like other bands such as u.f.o. ac/dc raven anvil they all have ups and downs. As one might give a listen you know right away there style and say that was good "but" and go from there.
For me unleash the beast was hands down one of the greatest come back albums of all time. I still hold dear the strong arm of the law album. so many good songs.
I still remember seeing them when unleash the beast came out with udo opening up. they played 2 1/2 hours and did everything I could ever hope for. I still think about that night when they started playing big teaser,back to the wall and frozen rainbow. To stand there and hear 3 songs from the fist album after 2 hours already. I could have ended going to all metal concerts right then and there. That was and will be in my top 5 concerts of all time. What made it better was udo did only 1 song of his then played 1 hour of accept.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 4:53:52 AM PDT
Zaplightning says:
Saxon is such a cool band. My favorite albums are Denim And Leather & Wheels Of Steel.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 4:27:09 PM PDT
Justin G. says:
Saxon is one of my absolute favorite bands. I love Strong Arm of the Law and Wheels of Steel the most, but Denim and Leather, Crusader, and pretty much anything they've released since 1999 aren't far behind. This is a band that's getting better with age, not worse. And they're killer live.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 10:52:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 10:53:43 AM PDT
loved Saxon up until Crusader, then lost intrest. Shame that "Heavy Metal Thunder" the movie hasn't been released stateside yet.

@Ash
And the Band Played On, wasn't on the list?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 3:34:39 PM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
Great song too. Also "Militia Guard," "Batallions of Steel," "Dallas 1PM," "Gonna Shout," "Hammer of the Gods..." So many great tunes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 5:21:38 AM PDT
Justin G. says:
You may want to give their later stuff a try. Anything from Killing Ground forward, really. It's almost like they started over again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 6:20:11 AM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
I'm in total agreement with you. Old Saxon fans need to hear these new albums. Look, Saxon went through a bumpy period. Innocence is No Excuse through Dogs of War was pretty inconsistent. Dogs had its moments but didn't do a whole lot to get them back. Unleash the Beast started to pick up the slack again. Metalhead got even better. When Killing Ground hit it was almost as if they had be reborn. They finally found their groove again. They found the perfect balance of heaviness, melody, and aesthetics. Each album since has been consistently good. I've almost been waiting for a bad album again. I can't believe how well they recovered in the new millennium. I can't think, off of the top of my head, of another band that came back so strong. There are certainly examples of bands that returned with a killer album but then it just fell into the average zone or worse afterward. Saxon hasn't stopped delivering on their comeback.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 10:09:59 AM PDT
I agree with you about Saxon and I would put Accept in there with them. Blood Of The Nations and Stalingrad both deliver hard...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 10:41:08 AM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
Good point. Best Accept records since "Metal Heart" days. Not that there haven't been a couple okay efforts in there but you're right. These last two have really roared back with a vengeance. Some of their best stuff ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 11:06:22 AM PDT
Justin G. says:
Absolutely. I guess lightning can strike twice.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 11:09:04 AM PDT
jeff p says:
I'm in agreement with most here.Wheels of Steel,Strong arm of the Law and Denim and Leather being favorites,but yea even a lot of more recent Saxon as well is great. And i love Accept ..Mostly the Udo era,but lately i'm liking the Mark Tortnillo stuff as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 2:40:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 2:41:12 AM PDT
Puffany says:
Good move giving these guys their own 'headlining thread'! Totally deserved and a criminally overlooked band in Oz.
I bought Wheels of Steel and Strong Arm Of The Law when they first came out. Awesome - Strong Arm in particular has no weak track. I rank Strong Arm alongside all the greatest metal albums ever released. I heard a few tracks from Denim when it was released and didn't dig it at the time and never looked into them again until.........I saw them play a small club show here in Melbourne a couple of years ago and loved it. The place was possibly half full which i thought was strange knowing there are alot of metal fans here.
Anyway, this thread prompted me to finally get Denim (which I do now like), Power, and Eagle. - thanks for the reminder.
I'll have to check out one of the highly-rated later releases soon.
BTW - can't you change your list to 26 by adding the raging 'Stand Up and Be Counted'?

rock on!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:00:53 PM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
With Saxon I could make it a top 50 probably. So many great songs.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Metal forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jun 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions