Customer Discussions > Metal forum

Down IV Part I - The Purple EP

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2012 5:03:55 PM PDT
Has anyone else heard this yet? I am floored and listening to it for the second straight time. Please Pantera/Phil haters leave this thread alone...not worth the time if you don't like it to ruin this thread please...

But I am really digging this slab of Sabbath-like doom, and Phil hits all the right notes this time...gave his screaming a rest which was necessary to transcend the boundaries that III left in its wake...That was such an 'incomplete' album, that this EP manages to utterly destroy...Thanks Phil...

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 6:26:31 PM PDT
Super fried doomy sludge goodness! I'm not overly fond of how the drums sound, but pat bruders is a nice pickup! I've only had the chance to listen once, it already surpasses II and III which I consider good in their own right...I don't have a standout yet but every track is killer!

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 5:27:13 AM PDT
Ok, I think we both agree that NOLA can never be touched...that being said, is it possible this EP is heavier??? I know Witchtripper got the big push from the band, but that song is awesome! Open Coffins has such a groove to it, and the Curse is a Lie is badass! I'm really happy they opened up and let the gui-tars whale...they've even got some solos in this monolithic slab and I dig the solo with the short tempo change on the Curse. This thing is soooo bottom heavy, and I mentioned Pat Bruders, but that bass is grinding and churning! Well done boys, well done...and to think they're planning on pt. IV to be even doomier \,,/ \,,/

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 4:37:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2012 4:39:03 PM PDT
I'm looking forward to the other three parts that Phil Anselmo has promised to unleash...If Part I is any indication then it will be good...I'm assuming one of the albums will have the Jail/Landing on the Mountains of Meggido type material, and I love their material like that too so am excited for that one, but I'm curious what direction the others will take...

I love the bottom heavy production...But damn they have the RIFFS this time...They brought their best material since NOLA to the table. I do appreciate II and III...but this is on another level...

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 7:07:34 PM PDT
They said for sure one would be more the acoustic brand and to quote Pepper ones gonna be "doom as f, we're gonna have alot of fun with that one". Not sure about the other, but this first ep is one hell of a start! Appreciation is a perfect word for II and III, once I came to the realization NOLA would never be duplicated, I was able to appreciate the others much more!

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 1:46:20 PM PDT
Ash Krueger says:
Just picked this up today. Pretty good. I'm with everyone who says it's the best since NOLA. I mean the last couple discs were decent but this one crushes. Strong songs, heavy riffs, and some of the better vocals Anselmo's delivered in some time. Got my copy for only $5 at FYE.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 3:49:26 PM PDT
do you remember where you read the article of them talking about one album being Doom as F and all that?

I would like to see that article if possible

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 6:40:09 PM PDT
Oof...I will see what I can do!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 6:51:56 PM PDT
Here it be...

http://m.billboard.com/features/down-the-purple-ep-exclusive-first-listen-1007949382.story

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 10:32:39 AM PDT
J Bower needs to get another EHG full length record out already!

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 10:38:21 AM PDT
I've heard it's ready...just trying to find the right label

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 10:42:23 AM PDT
@Cody
You going to the VITUS/ WEEDEATER/ SOURVEIN show in Lawrence, KS on 10/2/12 @ the Granada?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 10:54:01 AM PDT
rF:

Dude, I don't know...I'm trying to talk the wifey into it! Just saw the Melvins(lite) last week, so I'm not sure. That's definitely a punishing bill! Hail!Hornet and Gates of Slumber came through a month or so ago and Church of Misery was playing that tour too...up until the Lawrence show-I was pretty bummed about that!

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 12:35:52 PM PDT
I'll be there, gotta drive 3hrs (already seen the show in Little Rock, now Lawrence) Stoked! I'm gonna film the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 12:50:57 PM PDT
damn...enjoy, maybe I'll have to live vicariously through you and catch the video!!!

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 1:56:04 PM PDT
\,,/ DOOMED...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 4:23:30 PM PDT
hey thanks for the article...was interesting to read phil and pepper take on it...

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 4:53:02 PM PDT
A customer says:
I have to acquire this, stat. Usually, I don't bother with EP's, but this one seems pretty substantial and, from what I'm reading, pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:07:07 PM PDT
Ian it is tasty...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:32:37 PM PDT
Another thing I found interesting was when they said they were gonna release a full EP of "bury me in smoke" type stuff...which sounds amazing, because quite frankly that is my favorite Down song...

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 5:45:37 PM PDT
Too tough... but for grins I'm gonna pick Pillars of Eternity. That ep needs a heavy windstein imprint!

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 5:50:26 PM PDT
A customer says:
No need to entice me further, Iniquitous. I'm on board. Fully, completely.

"Rehab" is my favorite Down song. Pepper Keenan has such a knack for those looping, cyclical riffs that grab you like the jaws of life.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 6:13:01 PM PDT
Love Rehab...

Lemme know what you think of the EP after you give it a couple listens...Good or bad impression I don't care, would love to hear an opinion of another person who digs NOLA...

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 8:21:03 PM PDT
I will say that the solo from bury me in smoke still damn near gives me chills, some of my fav riffage there.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 2:05:18 PM PDT
So....here's the awesomely bad "official" video for Witchtripper

Good times:
http://www.fuse.tv/videos/2012/09/exclusive-watch-downs-frightening-video-for-witchtripper
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Metal forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions