Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Michael Jackson forum

My kingdom for an intelligent discussion board!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 105 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 1:29:37 AM PST
Scarlett says:
I can't imagine losing a child. I don't know how people survive that. No wonder you're such a strong woman.

The true grief of my life was losing my Father in 1994 to cancer. Watching the vital and strong man who raised us wither away was beyond heartbreaking for all of us but he said he had lived a wonderful life and had no regrets. That gave us a measure of peace but losing a child would kill me.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 3:46:10 AM PST
Scarlett says:
From "Humor's Hidden Power" by Nichole Force M.A. With the battle of the brains going on here, I was curious to explore how humor is perceived and categorized in the world of intelligence.

Comedians may play a far greater role in the psychological health of a society than previously realized. Experts at restructuring and reframing negative and tragic circumstances into humorous ones, comedians often accomplish on stage what therapists hope to accomplish in their offices. Those who seek an effective means of coping with and overcoming everything from minor life stressors to major tragedies would benefit from learning the way of the comedian.

Blessed with high intelligence and sensitivity, but often cursed with unpleasant or tragic circumstances, examples of famous comedians who have overcome traumatic childhoods:

Carol Burnett's parents were alcoholics and she grew up on welfare with her grandmother.

Richard Pryor grew up in an Illinois brothel where his mother worked as a prostitute and his father as a pimp. He was raped by a teenaged neighbor when he was six and molested by a Catholic priest during catechism.

Humorist Art Buchwald's mother was committed to a mental institution when he was an infant and he was raised in seven different foster homes. Art expressed an awareness of the defensive value of humor when he said, "When you make the bullies laugh, they don't beat you up."

Comedic actor Russell Brand was raised by a single mother following his parents' divorce when he was a child. He was molested by a tutor when he was seven, was bulimic when he was 14 and left home and began taking drugs at 16.

Chevy Chase detailed an abusive childhood in which he "lived in fear all the time. I was fraught with fear and low self-esteem," Chase said.

Joan Rivers has admitted that she grew up a loner and that her unhappy childhood contributed to her success as a comedian. She said, "There wasn't one good comedian I've known who was ever in the `in' group at school. That's why we look at things so differently."

Bill Cosby grew up in a housing project with an alcoholic father who was both abusive and neglectful. Mr. Cosby said: "You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can find humor in anything, you can survive it."

As the most prolific creators and sources of humor, comedians are not afraid to talk about the fears and concerns that most of us try hard to conceal or deny. By not only bringing them into the open but also laughing at and minimizing them, the comedian puts himself and his audience in control and the concealed fears dissipate in the shared light of day. Eighteenth-century German scientist and satirist Georg C. Lichtenberg said: "The more you know humor, the more you become demanding in fineness." Those who induce us to laugh contribute to the development of our better selves, and we should not underestimate their influence or importance.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 4:33:22 AM PST
J. Leone says:
A good sense of humor is the number one thing I look for in a friends. I love someone who can make me laugh. I've also found someone that is very funny, is also very intelligent. A perfect combination in my book!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 5:09:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 5:13:38 AM PST
Scarlett says:
J,

I agree. My closest friends are funny and smart. I actually started exploring this topic because there seems to be a disconnect here as to what's funny and what's sarcasm and/or can the two things coexist. As you know, I've been in more hot water than a lobster because my "humor" is often seen as attacks.

I researched some of the most successful comics and their entire acts were built around insulting their audiences. Don Rickles probably tops the list. People went to his shows at their own peril and they loved him.

We saw him in Vegas years ago and a guy got up to use the restroom. Rickles asked him where he was going and the guy told him he was going to the restroom. Rickles told him that he'd wait if the guy having to take a **** was more important than the show. The poor guy comes back and everyone burst out laughing because Rickles hadn't said an entire word the whole time the guy was gone. Just stood on stage doing nothing. Was it wrong of Rickles to embarrass one guy for the laughs he got from the entire room. My thought is no, because the guy wasn't there to see the Smother's Brothers.

I grew up in an era with Joan Rivers who was relentless when Elizabeth Taylor gained all the weight. She said Liz spends her whole day in front of a microwave going, "Hurry up, hurry up." Sonny got hammered by Cher and even when Michael was a kid and on the show, he asked Sonny what he wants to do when he grows up.

I'm up for a discussion about humor and should humor be confined to a small box that everyone feels comfortable with. Isn't that really the same as telling an academic person that they can only use 1/4 of the university library? Is there a point where any form of creativity gets stifled because some people disapprove and what is the solution to this disconnect?

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 5:18:14 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Oct 15, 2012 7:05:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 5:54:14 AM PST
Scarlett says:
Lonely Bird,

Why do you answer every question with a question? Do I do that?

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 7:27:53 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 11, 2014 1:37:09 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 7:48:33 AM PST
LFZ says:
From the article: She said, "There wasn't one good comedian I've known who was ever in the `in' group at school. That's why we look at things so differently."

Then she doesn't know Jim Carrey, who, I've read, was voted most popular in high school, as well as class clown.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 7:49:30 AM PST
LFZ says:
J. Leone wrote: A good sense of humor is the number one thing I look for in a friends. I love someone who can make me laugh.

Then you probably love Scarlett. She makes me laugh every day.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 7:51:26 AM PST
LFZ says:
Scarlett wrote: I'm up for a discussion about humor and should humor be confined to a small box that everyone feels comfortable with. Isn't that really the same as telling an academic person that they can only use 1/4 of the university library?

Take that, intelligentsia!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 7:52:23 AM PST
LFZ says:
Scarlett wrote: Why do you answer every question with a question? Do I do that?

Oh, I gotta remember this one! What a riot!

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 8:38:16 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 11, 2014 1:37:22 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 9:53:16 AM PST
Scarlett says:
LFZ,

I've always wondered about Jim Carrey and also Robin Williams whose performances seem so off the chart energetic. I looked up several articles and Carrey seems to be the class clown who hid a great deal of sorrow:

He suffered from depression even at the peak of success, which he publicly acknowledged and asked for help. He acknowledged the "peaks and valleys" At a point when his mother was sick, he used to hit himself on the walls and let himself fall on the stairs. He later admitted to a newspaper that depression was the motivation behind the comedies he produced. Many people attributed his depression to bipolar disorder. He was put on the anti-depressant drug Prozac, which he used for a long time. He managed to get off the drug and now resorts to religion to deal with his depression.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 10:21:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 10:22:40 AM PST
LFZ says:
From the article: He managed to get off the drug and now resorts to religion to deal with his depression.

"...RESORTS TO religion..." ???

(I was referring to Rivers' "in group" comment, not what Carrey may have been experiencing internally.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 10:28:56 AM PST
Scarlett says:
LFZ says: (I was referring to Rivers' "in group" comment, not what Carrey may have been experiencing internally.)

If you went to the same high school as Joan Rivers, would you want to hang around with her? Not me. I think she's trying to justify to herself why she had no friends by lumping all comics together.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 12:21:17 PM PST
LFZ says:
Yup. It's called "projection."

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 12:24:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 12:34:21 PM PDT
NYFon says:
Says passin'-thru (on another thread):

"Anything anti- intellect, anti-academia, and anti all modern art, must be, no , would be a scientists dream, in the study of aberration . Sadly too many in our Nation are adherents to this social phenomenon, and perhaps it is a bigger blight than our economy, for it heralds a mindset that not only befuddles common sense, but flies in the face of knowledge and betterment. Of course civility is it's first victim."

Passin'-thru isn't the only person to have been honored by a thread devoted to him. Why, only a month ago I had that distinction! (See beginning of this thread.)

We must be doing SOMETHING right, eh, passin'?

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 12:44:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 8, 2014 5:16:26 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 12:54:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2012 5:23:31 PM PDT
NYFon says:
I second that, passin'!

Down with ACADEMICS, and all those who presume to seek knowledge!
Down with MODERN ARTISTS and all those who grovel at their feet!

Death to the INTELLECTUALS: those humorless, pretentious, elitist windbags, whose only useful purpose is to provide fodder for the rabble on whose behalf they presume to speak!

Down with those singers, whose temerity in inserting emotion in their delivery of songs, speaks of their lack of real ability and talent!

Down with those FAKE Michael Jackson fans, who---foolishly, fatuously----continue to search for the meaning of his art!

Down with those long-winded know-it-alls who cannot keep their posts below the 25-word cutoff, beyond which REASONABLE people can't be expected to read, and .....

[Oooops.... did I go over the limit already?].....

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 2:13:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 8, 2014 5:16:29 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 11:10:43 PM PDT
NYFon says:
Bump... for the benefit of D. Mok.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 1:21:45 AM PDT
Scarlett says:
NYFon,

You do realize that you've also resurrected the word dross?

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 8:50:01 AM PDT
NYFon says:
Dross, floss, gross, and gloss: all words are welcome.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 9:48:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 8, 2014 5:19:12 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 10:17:05 AM PDT
Scarlett says:
NYFon,

Did you ever finish the Michael Black book?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Michael Jackson forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Michael Jackson forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  105
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions