Customer Discussions > Movie forum

in praise of women in bond movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 176 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2011 9:56:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2011 4:45:03 AM PDT
Not just the stars, but the women in small roles....

Martine Beswick, of FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and THUNDERBALL, which led to her being in some Hammer horror movies.

Caroline Munro went from Hammer to THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.

Valerie Leon also went from Hammer, and sexploition movies, to THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.

They only had small parts, but they're still more fun to watch than most big name actresses today---and the big budget, "respectable", Bond movies cast such actors before Tarintino got lots of publicity for putting b-actors in his a-movies.

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 10:46:25 AM PDT
bella7 says:
I always liked Michelle Yeoh's character in Tomorrow Never Dies.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 11:19:44 AM PDT
Yeah, I like Yeoh in that movie, too. She made some movies with Jackie Chan---though Chan said in some interview that he doesn't believe women should do their own stunts in movies.

As for other Asian women in Bond movies: the two Japanese leading ladies in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE were also in WHAT'S UP TIGER LILLY, of all things!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 11:28:52 AM PDT
Hikari says:
Bella and sakara
Be sure to stop by Battle of the Bond Girls and vote up our girl Michelle.
She's the best ever, IMHO, but she will be eliminatied without your support!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 11:35:02 AM PDT
bella7 says:
I know Yeoh was in "Police Story 3: Super Cop" with Chan and then did a spin off where she was the star called "Once A Cop".

I never knew that fact about the Japanese actresses. Interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 11:47:50 AM PDT
bella7 says:
I'd like to vote for her, but I'm not as familiar with all of the other Bond Girls to play the game. : (

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 12:05:38 PM PDT
On the documentary with the YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE dvd somebody tells how one of the Japenese actresses was ready to kill herself, after she was told she wouldn't be in the movie, cause she didn't speak english, so the producer kept her anyhow---and dubbed her and other leading Japanese actress.

The Bond producer had a # of Bond women dubbed, including Ursula Andress in DR NO.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 12:08:15 PM PDT
bella7 says:
Kill herself?! Wow, talk about a dramatic actress! Well, I guess the threat got her the part, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 12:15:57 PM PDT
The dvd doesn't mention, though, the scandal of Connery, when asked, by the Japanese press if he thought Japanese women were sexy, said no, he didn't! As if it would him have killed HIM to be a little more curtious in a foreign country!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 12:41:33 PM PDT
bella7 says:
Not very tactful of Connery, indeed. I know a lot of men that find Asian women quite sexy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 1:04:28 PM PDT
Well, Connery, like Elvis Presley, started out as a redneck truck driver. And Connery had tattoos when only rednecks had them, with the usual "mom" and "Scotland forever" for tattoos.

Connery even turned down THE MATRIX and LORD OF THE RINGS cause he "didn't understand' what they were about!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 1:18:09 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@bella
Sean also opined in an interview once (Playboy, I think?) that sometimes a woman needs a slap to keep her in line and he didn't see anything wrong with that.

Sir Sean has an elegant French wife named Micheline. I'd like to know if he ever tried out his 'keeping her in line' method on her and if he came out intact after that little experiment.

Connery's great pal Michael Caine also has an exotically-beautiful foreign-born wife. Caine's Cockney upbringing may have featured slapping around the woman to keep her in line, but Mr. Caine has been diplomatic enough not to mention such!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 1:25:39 PM PDT
vs Peter Cushing, who played a lot of villains.

Cushing, supposedly, dropped out of Roman Polanski's REPULSION cause his wife was gravely ill. Peter Cushing, as the landlord, opposite Catherine Denuve in REPULSION!

Peter Cushing never was the same after his wife died, with maybe Vincent Price saying how he it was for the best when Cushing died, since he was in so much emotional pain.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 1:34:15 PM PDT
bella7 says:
Slapping! What?! I never knew these things about Sir Sean. Hopefully he was talking about a woman's bum and not her face!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 2:44:10 PM PDT
Boy is that a cop out. Just vote against the one at the top of the list and you will be okay.

Michelle Yeoh +
Honey Ryder -

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 2:47:11 PM PDT
He slapped Maud Adams in the face. She got to come back in another Bond in the title role.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 2:57:26 PM PDT
bella7 says:
Oh, thanks SA, I thought I had to vote on each and every name. (I know these games can be quite scientific and I did not want to skew the results.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 2:57:56 PM PDT
bella7 says:
I did not know he was such a brute.....I've always liked the accent, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 3:32:39 PM PDT
Various documentaries, especially ones included in dvds, note how the director of DR NO helped soften Connery's image---including taking Connery to the director's tailor, and making Connery even sleep in the tailored suit, to get used to wearing a suit (a crazy story, but it's on a documentary)!

Connery himself even said how writer Ian Fleming was something of an English snob, who looked down on Connery. Fleming wanted much-older David Niven to play Bond.

Steve Mcqueen was raised in an orphanage---his wife had to force him to agree to be in the classics, BULLET and THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR, because he didn't like the idea of wearing a suit! Of course, in typical Hollywood fashion, Mcqueen repaid his wife's good script choices by endlessly cheating on her. There's even a Rolling Stone song, "star star" about Mcqueen having sex in public---and Mcqueen was very happy to sign a release to ok the lyrics.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 6:34:50 PM PDT
Ahem.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 7:13:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2011 7:15:28 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@bella, re. 'brutish sean'
-----------------------
This comment has haunted him quite a while. Turns out it wasn't a Playboy interview--it was worse! A sit-down with Barbara Walters, so he's on camera saying it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0d1zTAFKA (hope this opens--several clips on YouTube)

There may be some Scottish braggadocio going on here more so than implementation--after all, James Bond has a reputation to uphold. But Sean grew up working class in Scotland where beating your woman was probably not unheard of. Plus, we must remember Sean's generation. What scandalizes more PC-oriented folks today was pretty commonplace back then. They used to feed children alcohol to help them sleep, too. lol
---------------------------------------
Craig Ferguson would never hit a woman. He would never even joke about hitting a woman. ;-)
----------------------------------------

Here's some other quotes from Sean I found amusing:
---------------------------------------------------
I like women. I don't understand them, but I like them.

I am not an Englishman, I was never an Englishman, and I don't ever want to be one. I am a Scotsman! I was a Scotsman and I will always be one.

Some age, others mature. (Don't know which category Sir Sean puts himself in, but Ferguson is most definitely not in the latter category.)

On turning down the role of Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings:
"I had never read Tolkien, and I didn't understand the script when they sent it to me. Bobbits? Hobbits? I'm an actor - it's not brain surgery. If I do my job right, people won't ask for their money back."

<Bobbits? Hobbits? rofl!> I love Sean, but Ian McKellen was definitely the right choice. We couldn't have had Gandalf going on about "Schwauron" and the Fellowschip of the Ring", could we?

On whether he would ever escape being identified as 007:
"It's with me till I go in the box."

Sean also said, circa 1985: Bond should be played by an actor who's 32, 33. I'm too old--Roger's too old, too. (No kidding.)

There's a scene in an early Connery movie--maybe it's even Dr. No--Bond is lounging by the pool with some bathing beauties and he slaps one of them on the rear end--hard, too. Maybe audiences didn't bat an eyelid in 1962, but it definitely smells misogynistic circa 2011.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 8:42:03 PM PDT
I never knew Connery said that, about slapping a woman! I was just mentioning to a friend tonight that From Russia With Love rubs me the wrong way, mainly because Bond slaps a woman to make her talk. That and the stupid, sexist fight between two gypsy women who love the same man.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 4:39:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2011 4:46:34 AM PDT
Back in the 1960s there were plenty of men's magazines with supposedly true aritcles about all kind of exotic women in far away countries, with some sexual angle to them, of course, like half-naked gypsy women fighting over some man.

In the novel, GOLDFINGER, Pussy Galore is a "Lesbian" with a capital L, that's how it was spelled back then---and Bond cures her of her Lesbianism in time to save the world.

In the movie, Bond/Connery is able to beat Pussy at Karate, with some, literally, throws in the hay---that's what makes her switch teams.

(And in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE Rosa Klebb is a lesbian, though it's only suggested in the movie when she touches the repulsed female spy.

As for the book, for the train fight, Bond stabs the villain in the groin---which is also something they couldn't show in the 1960s)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 4:44:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2011 4:51:05 AM PDT
p.s. one of the gypsy women in that scene was Martine Beswick---from Jamaica!

Martine was also in THUNDERBALL. Part of her job was to get a suntan---she was paid to lounge around the beach prior to the start of filmmaking, as she jokes in a dvd documentary. The documentary also shows the director and crew drinking champange in between takes.

Martine was in some Hammer horror movies, like PREHISTORIC WOMEN (more 1960s women in fur bikinis) and DR JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE---in which the male doctor turns into...Martine Beswick.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 5:28:43 AM PDT
bella7 says:
There were/are some crazy people out there!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  176
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2011
Latest post:  18 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions