Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

I am OUTRAGED! Burton's "Dark Shadows" is a comedy!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 996 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 10:31:38 PM PDT
I love stuff from Henson. Particularly the series "The Storyteller". Terrific stuff: stories and creatures/puppets.

Jim Henson's The Storyteller ~ The Complete Collection

I used to have a good audio book of the first Alice book, narrated by Alan Bates. Then I got one with John Gielgud. Nice to have for a rainy afternoon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 10:35:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2012 10:39:30 PM PDT
I'll have to check that Henson collection out, thanks! That looks really good...directed by Anthony Minghella and with John Hurt, he's one of my faves.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2012 10:47:29 PM PDT
You must be pretty regular if you eat that stuff, stevign. ;o)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 12:06:38 AM PDT
stevign says:
Except for my earlier days as a Hippie I guess you could say I'm just a regular guy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 5:02:45 AM PDT
No no, that's not what quite I meant, I was just trying to be funny in reference to the fact that you probably don't have problems with irregularity since you eat Scottish oatmeal (crude bathroom humour, I admit).

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 6:53:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 6:54:42 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Bela

You said you hoped Johnny Depp's The Lone Ranger won't be a comedy. Well, as Dante famously penned, in his immortal The Inferno, the words over the gateway to hell: "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here."

The new TIME has a short entry on Lone Ranger, ending with "......with Depp bringing his kooky Jack Sparrow charisma."

Apparently, Hollywood has decreed that EVERYTHING must be a comedy, or at least comedic or weird.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 8:04:34 AM PDT
Damn. I guess we'll just have to wait for another generation of filmmakers to come along and decide that all this stuff can be redone with some semblance of dignity. First they're going to have to retrain audiences to have an attention span, to be able to think for themselves without having things spoon fed, and the idea that it's alright to have a serious thought once in awhile. Entertainment does not necessarily equate to being funny, or being brain dead for 2 1/2 hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 8:17:36 AM PDT
JB: I came to this thread late, and so forgive the late comment. 180 degrees away from you on the trailer comment. One of my cardinal rules is "No film is better than its trailers." Over thousands of films, I can honestly say that I have only seen two notable films for which that was NOT the case.

It is, of course, entirely possible that we look at trailers in a different way.

Re: turning Dark Shadows into comedy? Well--why not?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 8:24:04 AM PDT
mgvet says:
I dunno. Do you think that Burton is looking back to the 70s as campy and making it a bit of comedy as a lot of movies recently have?

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 8:26:29 AM PDT
Tilla R. Ham says:
it is definitely going to be a comedy. true to depp and burton pairing up, it will be over the top....I just hope it will also be fabulous as is usually true to them

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 8:33:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 8:35:34 AM PDT
I just watched the trailer again--twice. I don't think a comparison to the Addam's Family is entirely apposite--rather, it seems to come from that part of Burton's sensibility that found fullest expression in Mars Attacks!

Forgive me, True Believers--but Dark Shadows was one of the silliest things ever to appear on television, and was camp from the moment it started. Apart from True Believers, I very much doubt if a film done in the style of the original would be entertaining at all. I watched the original Dark Shadows film when it ran recently on TCM, and it was deadly.

This is a case when post-modern irony is the only way that one could possibly go. It would appear to be a major return to form after the ghastly Alice in Wonderland.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 8:38:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 7:25:38 PM PDT
'DS' was camp without trying to be. It took itself entirely seriously and ended up being campy as a result. The low budget, questionable acting and scripts that weren't exactly Shakespeare all contributed to the unintentional camp factor and that's what's so cool about it. (It's sort of like the Ed Wood movies in that regard.) If Burton made it campy intentionally, well, I don't know if that's gonna translate well.

What made the original series great was the idea behind it and the fact that it was unique and very adventurous in its day. Such a show would not even be attempted today in this era of sound bite programming and limited attention spans.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 8:38:54 AM PDT
Every past decade is campy. The 50's were campy, the 60's were campy, the 80's were campy, and years from now we're going to look back at this decade, with underwear hanging out, and Emo's campy as well. Even s,o each of those decades have their good points as well. The point is why? Why would anyone want to rehash something that has already been done to death? It just seems indulgent on Burton's part to me; that and now he seems hellbent on joining the Hollywood bandwagon to trash pop culture.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 8:46:54 AM PDT
If that were the case, then the rebooted Battlestar Galactica would have been the silliest show on television. If you look at a BBC show like Being Human, what you basically have is a more updated version of Dark Shadows already. Either of those two shows even in concept probably made more sense than that garbage going on with DS.

We're already got the Addam's Family (which is actually a fairly good update), why the heck do we need a Burton version with a show that was 180 degrees from the tone of that show? Even if you assume that originally DS and the Addam's Family were somehow responses to the other, at least the creators had ability to create a unique response. There is no reason why Burton couldn't create a completely new kooky vampire story of his own imaginings if that's what he wanted to do.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 8:52:53 AM PDT
JNS: With respect, if you think that "every past decade is campy", you don't understand what camp is. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_%28style%29 for a few useful guidelines, in particular Sontag's definition.

And "trash pop culture"? Earth to JNS--most of pop culture IS trash. Therein lies its appeal--our modern nostagie de la boue. Of course one must wait for the film to make a sound judgment--but it appears that Burton has taken a post-modern approach to the material (following Eco's definition of post-modernism as the ironic rediscovery of the past). At the very least, a perfect valid aesthetic judgment--possibly the only way of taking the material and creating something with wide appeal and an interesting point of view.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 8:54:13 AM PDT
JNS: The rebooted Battlestar Galactica WAS the silliest show on television--science fiction from people who didn't understand what science fiction is.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:05:16 AM PDT
So based on that definition, you don't believe that Rock and Roll (or a lot of it was intentionally campy?) Or that Batman in the 60's was campy? Hair Bands in the 80's was camp? Every decade has its camp. Usually it is the campiness for which a decade is remembered. Artists like Salvador Dali, and Andy Worhol got it.

You might call Burtons take post modern, but it still looks like old soup to me. Nothing new to see there that I haven't already seen done before.

I didn't like the ending of BSG, because I do believe that R. Moore didn't like SF as a genre, but for two seasons he was able to hide his contempt enough that he produced a very fine show in spite of it. He was just unable to keep the smoke and mirrors going.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 9:17:22 AM PDT
JNS: Certainly Batman was camp, by any accepted definition. Dali--not camp; Warhol--definite camp sensibility. But no entire decade is camp--which was your statement. That's a radically devalued view of any sort of culture--even pop culture. And the camp sensibility is tricky and protean--Douglas Sirk films, in one way, are camp, and in another way deeply serious exercises using the tools of melodrama.

Battlestar Galactica (reboot) was hysterical and illogical--hence, unwatchable.

I suspect that Dark Shadows will be very sly, very subversive, and very clever. First new film in quite some time that excites my curiosity to a degree.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:28:41 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "No no, that's not what quite I meant"

Well duh! lolol. I knew what you meant but apparently my comical spin on the word "regular" missed its mark.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:33:23 AM PDT
Haha! Touche stevign. Did you eat your oatmeal today?? =o)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:42:17 AM PDT
stevign says:
Not this morning, my taster dropped dead after one bite. One of my girlfriends who stayed overnight may have issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 9:45:52 AM PDT
ONE of your girlfriends? My, you're a busy dude. Sorry to hear about the issues though. ;o)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 10:05:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 10:06:03 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "ONE of your girlfriends?"

I take in beautiful women who can't find dates. What can I say, I'm a saint. We like to go to town in my Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé to shop, Vanessa likes to whisper in my ear from the back seat "All glory is fleeting". She's so cute.

http://www.automotoportal.com/media/images/vijesti/070726005.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 10:05:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 10:06:50 AM PDT
Okay technically the statement should have gone, "every decade has it's share of campiness."

If you're expecting the kind of subtlety of a Sirk from that trailer of Dark Shadows, man you have my condolences because I believe you have nothing to look forward to in the future but epic dissapointment, since if you appreciate Sirk, then I have to place you on a higher plane than the average filmgoer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 10:12:16 AM PDT
Ah, you are quite charitable indeed. If I was ever in town, I'd hope I could hitch a ride in the Rolls myself.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  135
Total posts:  996
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions