Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Why is it so hard to find the Sigourney Weaver-narrated Planet Earth on Blu Ray?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2012 3:13:02 PM PST
Bobby G says:
Anyone know? I know it's here:

Planet Earth (Discovery Channel Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]

But not sold by Amazon. What gives? I liked her version of the narration better than David Attenborough. I have it on DVD but now that I got my dad a BluRay player for Xmas I would like to be able to buy him this series on BR in the future.

Can anyone help me out in understanding why this is tough to find now?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 4:07:56 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Bobby G

If it makes you feel any better, my understanding is that the SW edition, which is the American version, has a bit less footage than the Attenborough one. That reason alone makes me prefer the British edition. My copy, by the way, is on HD DVD and looks spectacular, as I'm sure the BD version does as well.

Perhaps the Weaver version sold out and market analyses suggested that most buyers of Planet Earth choose the Attenborough one, so no more pressings of Weaver's were done. Whatever the case, good look in pursuing a copy of the version you want.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:59:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 11:01:44 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Bobby G

I've found the Discovery Edition of Planet Earth with Weaver on Amazon just now. New, it sells for $92 and cents and there is a "Like New" used set for $70. It's next to the bottom of the first page when you search for Planet Earth on the Blu-ray page. Good luck.

I thought it interesting that the timing Amazon gives for the Weaver version is 603 minutes as opposed to 550 for the Attenborough. I would have thought it would be the reverse. Anyway, the set is obviously much more expensive right now than the BBC version, but if it is the one you really want......I noticed the buyers' reviews seemed to prefer this version to BBC's, so you're not alone.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions