Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Agree Or Disagree

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 509 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2012 9:50:30 AM PDT
Rules are simple: you post a statement you believe to be true, and the next poster says either "Agree" or "Disagree" and, in the case of the latter, provides a short (one or two sentences) counterargument and then says a new statement. Since this is the movie forum, let's try to stick to movies.

I'll start:

Agree or Disagree: Goldfinger is the best James Bond theme song.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 10:54:33 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Disagree: Nobody Does It Better--is Better. Statement: Despite being a truly fine actress, Meryl Streep would be ignored in any lineup of "beautiful actresses."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 12:32:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 30, 2012 12:52:33 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 1:09:41 PM PDT
D. Larson says:
Disagree: "Goldfinger" is twice the song "Nobody Does It Better". Three times the song. Shirley Bassey, for gawdsakes. Shoot, "Nobody Does It Better" isn't even as good as "Thunderball". Runner up to "Goldfinger", though would be "From Russia With Love".

Statement: "Punch Drunk Love" is the one thing Adam Sandler ever did that he shouldn't be deeply ashamed of.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 1:34:09 PM PDT
D. Larson: In the future, respond to the statement that precedes your post. So you should have responded to Larry's. Not a big deal, but just a heads up.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 4:05:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 12:38:34 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Statement: "Punch Drunk Love" is the one thing Adam Sandler ever did that he shouldn't be deeply ashamed of.

Disagree: Just...by *this* much...by as much as 'Funny People*' floated my boat.

Statement: James Bond is played out. Just hang up the gloves already.

*late edit, brain snap, thanks Jon

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 4:17:44 PM PDT
Agreed.

Statement: Star Wars is played out. Just hang up the gloves already.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 4:32:06 PM PDT
AJA says:
Agree (as far as I'm concerned Star Wars was played out after Return of the Jedi)

Statement: Peter Sellers is the best comedic film actor of the last 70 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 11:49:27 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Disagree: Adam Sandler wasn't in 'Funny Games' (but I know the unfunny 'Funny' movie you mean, and I disagree that he shouldn't be ashamed of it!)

I don't have it in me to play this game properly tonight, so I'm just pointing that out.

I'll leave it to someone else to dismantle the extreme hyperbole about Peter Sellers. Brief counter-argument: Alec Guinness.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 11:55:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 12:33:45 AM PDT
Kacee says:
There are many brilliant comedic actors. I rate Peter Sellers very highly and Alec Guinness.
I would also include Alistair Sim, Ronnie Barker, Lionel Jeffries, Norman Wisdom, Kenneth Williams, Sid James. Lots of British actors, including Kenneth Branagh can play comedy succinctly without trying.

I think to appreciate certain actors, it helps if you come from the same country, and grown up in the same culture, and been exposed to their television and film performances from a very early age.
Americans are so very different from British people and that fact has been reinforced by the following posters Hikari, C McGhee, Jonathan Baker. I think we are very foreign to each other's nationality, and as William Smith pointed out using the well known phrase, that we are two nations divided by a common language.
I don't pretend to have any knowledge in depth about the social history and culture of the USA. But it seems to me that the posters on these forums watch certain British tv programmes and think they are automatically experts on British life.
Unless you have lived a sufficient number of years here in the UK, were taught here, worked here, etc, then don't think that you have any knowledge what Britain and her citizens are really like.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:39:04 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Doh!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:43:36 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Disagree....on repeat.

Statement: 'Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy' is a very funny flic.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:50:25 AM PDT
Kacee says:
Funnier than Elf?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:56:10 AM PDT
Agree.

Statement: George Carlin is one of the top five comedians of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 2:37:12 AM PDT
Kacee says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:32:34 AM PDT
Kevin Beirne says:
Your statement was rather a question... I would disagree if it were a statement. I thought Romancing The Stone was better.

Statement: Arlington Road with Jeff Bridges and Tim Robbins is a really good movie because it breaks the traditional mold of stories in a film.

side note concerning James Bond: I just watched Quantum of Solace again last night and for me personally, I love the Bond films, and feel Daniel Craig's James Bond, and the new style of the writing (omitted the cheesy one-liners among other things), has breathed new life into the franchise. I am very excited for Skyfall. I don't believe they are for everyone, but I certainly enjoy them quite a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:03:16 AM PDT
Agree. The end makes you wonder how many times the government has covered up the truth.

Disagree. Daniel Craig is the worst of the Bonds.

Statement:
Katie Holmes is a better actor than Tom Cruise.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 9:54:16 AM PDT
JCRB says:
Disagree: While Katie Holmes is fine, his performance in Born On the Fourth of July alone is enough to squash this statement, imo.

Statement: The Incredibles is the best Pixar film.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 10:02:10 AM PDT
Disagree by a margin. Toy Story for the win.

Statement: Fargo is the best Coen film.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 11:27:31 AM PDT
Kacee says:
Don't know. The new Gambit film could be excellent.

James Stewart is the best actor that ever lived.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 11:32:18 AM PDT
Kevin Beirne says:
Disagree. Daniel Day Lewis owns James Stewart.

Die Hard With A Vengeance is the best Die Hard film, by far.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 11:36:16 AM PDT
Kacee says:
Kevin, I disagree with your post completely but I respect your opinion.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 3:58:39 PM PDT
Since no statement was given prior I'll give one.

Statement: StarGate is one of the best alien themed movies ever made.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:54:50 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Totally disagree. Even 'The Arrival' was better, and have we forgotten a little thing called '2001'?

Statement: Meryl Streep has a better singing voice than 9/10ths of the pop stars out there now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:56:47 PM PDT
Agree.

Statement: AC/DC still rocks after all these years! FIRE!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  509
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions