Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

What is your favorite movie of all time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 86 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2013 5:04:22 PM PST
Knight says:
What is your favorite movie of all time?

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 7:20:03 PM PST
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story Unrated

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 7:28:20 PM PST
MJEH says:
"The Wizard of Oz" - (M-G-M,1939) - Garland/Bolger/Haley/Hamilton.

I feel that no other movie in the history of cinema captures everything that a motion picture should.

1. The latest technology (Technicolor/the images of Auntie Em and the Wicked Witch in the crystal ball/the Twister)

2. Great musical numbers that carry the story.

3. Fantasy.

4. A message - "There's no place like home."

5. Good vs. Evil.

6. Appeal to all age groups. How many children under 15 are into "Casablanca", "Gone With the Wind", or "Citizen Kane" compared to how many adults are into "Oz"?

7. Humor - Bolger's, Lahr's, and Haley's comedy material. Which, as far as I understand, they added to the script.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 7:55:03 PM PST
Chinatown
Today this is my choice and it will change probably tomorrow. I love this movie for the great script, cast & direction. Still holds up today.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 12:54:37 AM PST
Double Indemnity is my greatest film of all time.

Fred MacMurray (playing against comedic type as a too-cute-by-half insurance salesman who schemes the perfect murder) is a brilliant, if not originally inspired, casting. Barbara Stanwyk is the ultimate femme fatale: Able to play sympathetic and helpless one minute; cold and calculating, the next. And the 'hero', insurance investigator Keyes, is played with grandfatherly crankiness--but also with amazing wit and verbal agility--by Edward G. Robinson. Watch him go through nearly 20 different varities of suicides and their categories in a rant without messing up once! One of his best performances.

Almost every character is sarcastic, self-absorbed, or duplicitous--which extended the definition of 'film noir" beyond merely the techinical, filming style to also include content. Also, the concept of showing in detail how to commit a murder was daring... for 1940's America. Which makes it fascinating how "Double's" murderous, adulterous underpinings passed the suffocating Breen Code and was nominated for multiple Oscars!

Throw in some of the best photography ever in flims noir; a clever, tight script (co-written by the great Raymond Chandler); and the novel idea of presenting the murderer in the beginning of the movie, and you have a ground-breaking movie that often transcends its 1940's base for a fairly modern feel.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 7:39:14 AM PST
The Departed, Die Hard, or Goodfellas

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 9:26:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2013 1:41:55 PM PST
I also love the films that you mentioned and i would add "Scarface" to the mix!!! winks*

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 9:26:56 AM PST
Dances With Wolves!!!...It was the film that struck me most profoundly and touched my heart the most of all the films that i have seen in the last several years!!!

~*We come far,
you and me
I will not forget you.
Dances With Wolves.

I am Wind In His Hair.
Do you see that
I am your friend?

Can you see that you will
always be my friend?*~

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 10:23:02 AM PST
Doctor Zhivago.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 2:57:23 PM PST
Bob Bykowski says:
The Great Escape. A fantastic ensemble cast and a story that really draws you in. It's a film that, no matter when it's on, I have to stop what I'm doing if I'm at home and tune in.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 9:58:59 PM PST
Balok says:
While, for reasons that I have explained at tiresome length, I have trouble with the whole concept of ranking one's favorite films, as it happens, despite what I have written elsewhere, there actually is one film that I would almost certainly list as my all-time favorite: _The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie_. (The problem comes with trying to rank them from #2 down.)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 5:20:42 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Unquestionably, Ben Hur (1959).

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 12:07:23 PM PST
Ben Hur... pretty darn good.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 8:39:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013 8:41:18 PM PST
Zoya says:
the matrix? first one
It's A Wonderful Life

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 9:03:58 AM PST
Hikari says:
Again around the mulberry bush with this one.

My answer is still the same:
AMADEUS (1984)

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 10:33:59 AM PST
It's like asking, "What is your favorite color?" I watch the same films (mostly classic films) over and over because I really despise the witless products and special effects extravaganzas that Hollywood is putting out these days. My cut-off point is around 1970 with a few exceptions:

-- *Slingblade*
-- *Corn Dog Man*
-- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy of films (lots of special effects here but nicely-applied -- but Sir Peter Jackson went way too far overboard on *King Kong*. Give me the original any day!)
-- District 9 (more sprecial effects but what a great story -- and fortunately, the story remained the focal point of the film.)

... a few others.

I still occasionally find a great older film, (I search for them online and elsewhere) usually a foreign one at this point such as "1612" or "In Search of Lost Time" (biography of Proust from his books that fall under the same general title.) The old theater serials are sometimes great too, such as *The Return of Chandu the Magician* (starring a matinee idol version of Bela Lugosi) or *Phantom Empire*, the latter being about as weird as they get, but still good for nostalgia nuts like me. *Quatermass and The Pitt* [a.k.a. *Five Million Years to Earth*] was pretty darn scary (still is) but few folks have seen it and it's very expensive to buy.

But everybody likes something different and that's what makes the world go 'round... or so they say. I've published lots of film lists (different genres) here on Amazon but most folks do not enjoy the older films like I do. My most recent fear is going to see the first of "The Hobbit" trilogy of films. I hear it's really crappy, too much special effects, departs far from the book, and way too much Hollywood witlessness. But I'll just have to see when I get the chance to view it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 4:06:34 PM PST
mack says:
I agree!

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 12:24:01 AM PST
Thalia says:
Galaxy Of Terror (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 6:01:54 AM PST
Pulpman says:
Bladerunner with out a doubt!

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 7:17:00 AM PST
TC says:
tough question
hard to pick just one so here's a few
Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times
Jaws
King Kong - original
JFK
The Godfather

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 6:57:40 PM PST
Georgedc says:
Who can pick only 1 movie? It's impossible. Maybe a top 5 or top 10 would be more appropriate.

But let me try......

❤JESSE JANE 3D❤

YES I CAN!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 1:12:39 PM PST
mack says:
I have alway's liked The Wizard of Oz! Still like it!

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 1:31:58 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Jeremiah Johnson. Best work by Redford--he didn't talk a lot, didn't have a beautiful co-star to side-track the movie. Had some really great lines/acting by Will Geer--and the trapper who was buried up to his neck by the Indians (Parley Baer?). The dialogue was excellent, often funny, the filming was beautiful, there was some fine appreciation to detail and this is just a great movie to watch often over the years. My second pick would be "Tremors". A truly fun movie. Bacon and Ward, Reba and Michael Gross--fast paced, well acted, well written, what more could you want for an afternoons pleasure?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 1:48:41 PM PST
Hikari says:
@Larry
"Jeremiah Johnson" is Mr. Redford's favorite role, not least because the movie introduced him to his future property in Utah.

My personal favorites, however, are "The Sting" and "All the President's Men". I'm not a huge fan of facial hair, or pictures where the characters don't take baths for months at a time.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 3:58:16 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Hikari: I hadn't thought about it but I would say that Redford's next best movie (for my taste) would be "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". Once again, he does not do a lot of dialogue, is very laconic, (and funny), and he actually comes across as someone who could shoot you down. I haven't made a point of seeing Redford's movies, but I saw "The Sting" in a theater and (please no boos) did not care for it. I loathed, "The Way We Were". "The Chase" was bad melodrama. "Would you do it for a million dollars" or whatever the name of that film was with Demi and Woody--blah. Saw part of the movie where he was a warden or something, blah. He directed a film I saw in a theater, "The Milagro Beanfield War" which I don't remember much about, except that I was surprised at how much I liked it. "The Candidate" was okay-but apparently forgettable as I cannot remember a single scene. "Out of Africa"--any competent actor could have done as good a job. I did like "The Natural" and then he was better than usual there--but for someone who has a fairly stellar reputation, his body of work, as an actor, is pretty mediocre in my opinion. I didn't see "All the Presidents Men" or at least if I did, I don't remember. The thing is, in most of his roles, once again almost any actor who was competent could have taken his place. He nailed "Jeremiah Johnson" and he nailed "The Sundance Kid". I don't think anyone could have played those roles better.

As I have a fascination, and I hope, an appreciation of the toughness, perseverance of those who settled the USA, the hardships they endured (particularly the women) to try and make something of themselves, or simply for the adventure of it, impresses me greatly.

As an aside "I'm not a huge fan of facial hair, or . . . characters that don't take baths for months at a time." You must have hated the whole hippie culture!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  86
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 16, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions