Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Can you name the movie? A young man tries to arrange a meeting with an aging reclusive actress as a birthday gift for his mother, a longtime fan of the actress.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 12:41:07 AM PST
yooper says:
I saw this movie 15-20 years ago(I think). I guess that you would call it a romantic comedy? I think that it was about a real actress but I cannot remember the name of the actress.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 1:35:16 AM PST
yooper says:
solved: the movie was "garbo talks" starring anne bancroft and ron silver, 1984.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 3:56:55 AM PST
Balok says:
You sure that it wasn't "Patrasche: A Dog of Flanders"?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:50:53 AM PST
yooper says:
It definitely was "Garbo Talks". Clips are available on YOUTUBE. "Patrasche: A Dog of Flanders" does sound interesting though. Yooper

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:50:00 AM PST
D. Larson says:
"For the Love of Benji",right?

Gloria Swason was the actress, and Farley Granger played the dog?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:57:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:32:33 PM PST
mack says:
A Dog Named Flanders is a heart-warming movie for the whole family. The 1959 verision. EXCUSE ME : A DOG OF FLANDERS!"

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:40:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:13:27 PM PST
"A heart-warming movie for the whole family" in general is completely equivalent to "Sentimental tripe, badly written and acted."

And do bother to get the title right: It's A Dog Of Flanders, a children's story filmed many times. By a real mistress of Victorian sentimentality at its ripest, Ouida. It almost out-Dickens Dickens; in The Old Curiosity Shop, only Little Nell dies; here, both the boy and the dog die. (An original ending omitted in the 1959 version.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:16:09 AM PST
wait! i'll ask mom...sounds like her type of stuff..

your frind kent

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:51:01 PM PST
mack says:
I thought A dog of Flanders was a good. And in my opinion the acting was good and enjoed thrt story..The 1959 verision with David Ladd,Donald Crisp, & Theodore. The finest film version of Ouida's classaic.A charming tale of love, friendship and a dog named Patrasche.A genuinely loving portrait of childhood. Correction and with Theodore
Bikel...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 2:24:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:33:44 PM PST
mack says:
Funny! They are two entirely different movies. Oh bye the way did you ever see the movie "A Dog Named Flanders."

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 2:40:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:47:29 PM PST
mack says:
A Dog of Flanders is heart-warming and I thought it wasn't boring or badly written & acted. And I see nothing wrong w/sentimental movies.I like the 1959 verision. I don't mind that this children's story was filmed many times.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 3:03:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 3:11:18 PM PST
mack says:
The Old Curiosity Shop I see no mention of a dog in it? I read what it was about again but no dog mentioned? This movie was released in 2009
and 2006.....The 2009 verision of this moview/Derek Jacobi & Sophie Vavasseur other made in 2006 w/Natlie Ogle. Both verisions there is no mention of a dog......This looks like a good movie.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 4:13:44 PM PST
mack (sigh); It is so tiresome when one has to explain the obvious. I was making comparison between one of Dickens' most extreme displays of sentimentality, the death of Little Nell in The Old Curiosity Shop--Oscar Wilde once noted that "It is impossible to read the death of Little Nell without laughing"--and Ouida's extravagant weepiness in A Dog Of Flanders.

And do get the references right. There are no fewer than 7 adaptations of Ouida's weepy little novella (see http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0653536/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1) and not one is called Patrasche: A Dog of Flanders. There is a film of that title: Patrasche: A Dog of Flanders, Made in Japan, a documentary contrasting the English and Japanese interpretations of Ouida's novella.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 7:13:03 PM PST
D. Larson says:
Mr. Mack, like Conan Doyle, is a master of winding people up...

Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"

Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."

Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."

Holmes: "That was the curious incident."[

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 9:47:58 PM PST
Balok says:
@D. Larson:

> Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
>
> Holmes: "That was the curious incident."

Actually, the curious incident was that the dog went on a package holiday to Flanders.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:55:40 AM PST
mack says:
I liked the movie A dog of Flanders .I don't find it weepy at all. I will ck. on that link (imdb)...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:56:37 AM PST
mack says:
Last comment : YEH!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions