Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The Alibi Lounge

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 16, 2012 11:34:37 AM PDT
Well, you can't play smart unless you are smart. Look at Julia Roberts in The Pelican Brief. (She was admitted more convincing in Erin Brockovich and Charlie Wilson's War.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 11:39:19 AM PDT
Q says:
AWW!!! Congrats Sloany!!! And a very cute name choice, I must say...although I did have my fingers crossed on 'Swan' haha...

Is little Sloan a he or she?! That name would be cute either way!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 11:48:31 AM PDT
Q says:
Dr. Wilson?

I thought he was an oncologist?

Are you getting him mixed up with Patrick Dempsey fromGrey's Anatomy? :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 11:51:40 AM PDT
Q says:
>"like The Flintstones' Christmas Special. How the (f-bomb) did they celebrate Christmas a million years before Christ was born?"<

Hahahahah!!!!!!!

Posted on May 16, 2012 11:54:32 AM PDT
Q: You mean that you have never heard of the Jurassic Incarnation? :)

Posted on May 16, 2012 11:56:16 AM PDT
Q says:
David, can I borrow the use of "(f-bomb)"???

It sure beats trying to write a comment with all these %#*@% everywhere!!

Posted on May 16, 2012 12:48:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 12:48:49 PM PDT
Q:

Feel free. I wasn't positive they'd let me use "f-bomb", but upon reflection, why not? Anybody capable of divining the word suggested already knows it and can hardly be damaged by reading it.

(My nephew, as a little tyke, used to refer to "the swear finger". "Mom, some kid at recess today gave me the swear finger.")

I imagine "s-bomb" and "c-bomb" would be equally permissible, but we should try them in actual highway conditions to be sure.

Bombs away!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:15:53 PM PDT
stevign says:
Dear Mischief Girl:

I read your ad and decided to stop by. Vanessa Marcil and I are planning a two day sex-fest. Yes, just the two of us....this time. This will of course includes room service, food, drink and a mountain of Ecstasy and Cocaine and I will be needing an alibi for when my other girlfriends ask where I was. You have until Thursday evening to come up with an alibi for me as we will begin our sex romp Friday morning and not end till Sunday morning. Can you handle that?

Looking forward to doing business with you.
Stevign

Posted on May 16, 2012 1:22:53 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
stevign

Why end your sex and drug romp on Sunday morning? Are you planning on going to church afterward?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:35:23 PM PDT
stevign
You are always welcome here!

I myself have just left a police interrogation...just another concerned citizen assisting the police with a slight matter. So as for your alibi, I will probably need your assistance over the next several days for real time computer searches, hence you will not be available to other girlfriends over the weekend.

That was easy! You and Vanessa have fun, and remember to stretch before attempting any strenous positions.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:36:52 PM PDT
WDE,
Thanks for mentioning this book. Neurology is a strong interest of mine, and I don't have this book. I will have to look into it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:38:05 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Glad to hear it; I didn't think they really did divorce back then, even when one's spouse had to be committed to an institution or the attic of the family home . . .

It's been three decades since I read the canon and the details slip. Good to know that Watson retains his principles. Beyond being a good C of E man, I'm sure that when Watson loves someone it's meant to be permanent. Hence his devotion to Sherlock despite the latter's eccentricities.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:42:28 PM PDT
Hikari says:
>>>Dr. Wilson?
I thought he was an oncologist?
Are you getting him mixed up with Patrick Dempsey fromGrey's Anatomy? :)
----------------------
Well, Dr. Wilson is head of oncology at Princeton Plainsboro (?) . . .but his specialty is brain tumors, so I think he qualifies as both.

Here's an unpopular statement: To me McDreamy is more like McSqueamy. I've never understood Patrick Dempsey's appeal as a sex object. He looks reptilian to me. A seriously, righteously awesome head of hair on that one, though--he won't have to worry about going bald.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:45:04 PM PDT
I'm with you, Hiki, Dempsey is not attractive.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:48:36 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Hi, M.G.--
Survived your encounter with the police state, I see . . .

Patrick Dempsey is in our age group and when we all were young (circa 1987) Patrick was a cutie. He's still got the awesome head of Black Irish hair, but I don't find that he's aging all that well. Hence the reptile feeling.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:52:07 PM PDT
stevign says:
A man needs his rest before beginning a new week of work.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:55:34 PM PDT
stevign says:
Thanks MG! I appreciate your prompt service. Now if I can only convince my girlfriends that I actually walked into a police station willingly and not carried in kicking and screaming as usual, I'll be in great shape.

Posted on May 16, 2012 1:58:49 PM PDT
Ever since watching Midnight In Paris, I have had quite a crush on Corey Stoll, and think that he is even more gorgeous with his natural hairstyle! He is lovely.

http://youtu.be/KzZgF3N35Pw

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 1:58:53 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "Neurology is a strong interest of mine"

We've noticed. Perhaps you should stop working on yourself. Just a thought.

http://static6.depositphotos.com/1001096/563/i/950/depositphotos_5636043-Satisfied-woman-with-bandaged-head.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 2:00:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 2:01:32 PM PDT
H: Divorce did exist in Victorian England, but it was a very serious matter (as indeed it should still be). Even 30 years later ( in the Abdication crisis) it was a very charged issue; and, indeed, it remains rather charged in the Royal Family to this day.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 2:01:09 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "I've never understood Patrick Dempsey's appeal as a sex object."

I was shocked when I heard, I don't get it either.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 2:42:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 2:45:10 PM PDT
Mischief Girl:

"When The Air Hits Your Brain: Adventures in Neurosurgery", by Dr. Frank Vertosick, is obtainable on amazon. The title comes from a saying that brain surgeons toss around: you ain't never the same when the air hits your brain. ("Same" and "brain" don't exactly rhyme, but cut the guys some slack, they're just brain surgeons, not poets.)

The book is fascinating. Parts of it are heartbreaking. Parts of it are hysterically funny. In the former category, there's a story about a newborn with inoperable brain tumors. She will live only a few months. Her parents never come in, they can't deal with it, but Dr. Vertosick visits her in her hospital room every day, and they sort of bond. She struggles to smile, to raise her arms to touch him, and he feels her humanity through the thick layers of incapacity. You read this, and you begin to feel selfish about the trivial things you complain about from day to day.

The funny parts are frequent, more frequent than you'd expect. Apparently, brain surgeons have considerable derision for orthopedic surgeons, whose work they see as infinitely easier than theirs, requiring no enviable skills. They tell a joke: What are the three hardest years of an orthopedic surgeon's life? Answer: second grade.

He also wrote a book about pain. Vertosick answers the question many have asked: why is there cancer? Of what evolutionary benefit could it possibly serve? His answer's pretty simple: cancer exists to kill us. It would do our species no good if everybody lived forever. So, once we have passed the age of reproducing and child-raising, we are, in evolutionary terms, passe. Cancer is one method evolution has forged to keep our numbers manageable. It may not be the answer people want to hear, but it makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 2:49:05 PM PDT
Oh wow, I think I will have trouble reading the baby chapter. I'm already getting emotional and all I have read is your description of it.

I understand the humor. I work in the medical field, and I tell you, we laugh at some pretty inappropriate stuff. But if we didn't, we'd keel over from all the sadness around us.

I got a good chuckle out of the orthopedic surgeon joke. Very good!

Anyway, thanks again for the recommend. I'll probably christen my new Kindle with this book. I will soon be visiting my 18yr old niece, who will be able to get me up and running with mine.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 2:57:13 PM PDT
Stevign:
You aren't going into the police station. You are simply helping with research and investigation (via me). Your work can be done at any computer with internet access.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:04:10 PM PDT
stevign says:
Excellent. How much do you owe me for this service?
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions