Customer Discussions > Movie forum

TV Shows That You Wish Hadn't Been Axed Or Canceled

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 355 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2013 2:41:25 PM PST
Adam Bailey says:
Alcatraz, Fringe, 666 Park Avenue, Animal Practice, Emily Owens, MD, Leverage , Merlin, The Mob Doctor, Are You There, Chelsea?, Awake, Breaking In, Breakout Kings, Chuck, Common Law, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Fairly Legal.
AND ABOUT 30 MORE TV SHOWS!!!!

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 3:10:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 10:03:25 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Arrested Development. I could watch that show for eternity...so long as David Cross' Tobias stayed a part of the show (where's the spin-off!?).

Was Deadwood cancelled? Or was it just quittin' time? Either way, I'll be scarred for life with the way that show ended. Fo Life!

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 3:15:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 3:16:12 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Firefly, Jake 2.0, Out of Practice, Tremors, Eastwick, The Gates, Last Resort, Mr. Sunshine, Hank, Welcome to the Captain, etc, etc, etc.

I would include Chuck, but it did get 5 seasons, unlike those above that just aired for 13 episodes, or, in the cases of Hank and Welcome to the Captain (5 episodes) and Mr. Sunshine (9).

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 3:17:52 PM PST
Firefly.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 3:43:45 PM PST
Spenser For Hire - the Movie Collection

Harry O - The Complete First Season

Both were very different takes on the usually flashy private eye genre. Both of the title characters, Spenser and Harry O [Orwell], were lower income, former law enforcers that were selective in the cases they took. There was a certain literate quality to both: They made good use of the voice-over narration to convey the complexities of P.I. life. Many of both shows' episodes were thoughtfully written and didn't feel compelled to constantly exploit the goriness of crime. And the supporting cast and guest stars were some of Hollywood's best or up-and-coming talent. Harry O featured Farrah Fawcett in a recurring role as Harry's next door neighbor. And Samuel L. Jackson, Marg Helgenberg, Ed O'Neill, W.H. Macy, and Mako made guest appearances on Spenser.

The increasing costs of on-location shooting--Boston, for Spenser; San Diego, for Harry O--helped do them in. The Spenser novels were popular long before the TV adaptation, and the old and new fanbase helped keep it alive in the form of several TV movies that starred a variety of actors as Spenser and the original cast. And some episodes of Harry O were recently re-released on DVD.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 4:08:39 PM PST
The Dresden Files.

Eureka--although the long story arc in the last two seasons was a huge mistake.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 5:11:12 PM PST
El Emmarino says:
Wonderfalls... Beautiful cinematography

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 6:04:40 PM PST
Frank's Place.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 6:08:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 6:09:55 PM PST
I enjoyed 666 Park Avenue. I figured it was going to get cancelled when I started recommending it to people. Most shows I like get cancelled sooner than later.

Terriers-was on FX for 1 season. Filmed in my hometown of Ocean Beach(in San Diego).

Life On Mars-almost 1 Season

Robbery/Homicide-Almost 1 Season. Tom Sizemore's love of meth cost this show.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 10:00:03 PM PST
Balok says:
Against my better judgment, in the sense that it's not clear to me what this has to do with movies:
Star Trek (TOS)
The Critic (killed by a change of management at FOX)
WKRP in Cincinnati
The Guardian (it looked like they were on their way out of the soap operatic morass that plagued the third season)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 10:02:39 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Balok: Against my better judgment....

That's the spirit!

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 10:11:43 PM PST
Adam Bailey says:
so people elaborate a bit, people can do that and its more then ok.
everyone has named a movie/tv show except Sloan(and now me)

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:31:25 AM PST
We have such short memories. Most of the series mentioned were cancelled only last week. I'm still upset about losing The Slap Maxwell Story. This is one of the problems of living in a different universe.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:34:10 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Jeff Donaldson

Well, I'm still upset that Star Trek: TOS was cancelled after three seasons in 1969! Imagine if there had been two or three more seasons back them - so much more Kirk/Spock/McCoy goodness!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:43:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 8:28:36 AM PST
JR Fleming says:
The Unusuals, a different type of cop show with a great cast.
Dark Skies. Very good show, good cast, intrigueing story (UFO cover up).
The Gates. I really want to know what happened with the son.
I was actually kind of sad to see Terra Nova go.
Eureka.
Trinity. A British series. I'm not sure why I liked this show so much, but I did. Part soap opera, part government conspiracy.
Hex. Another British series. Mistakenly referred to as a Brit version of Buffy. Part soap, part supernatural.

Edit:
Forgot Jericho and The 4400.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 10:10:49 AM PST
Balok says:
@Cavardossi:

===
Well, I'm still upset that Star Trek: TOS was cancelled after three seasons in 1969! Imagine if there had been two or three more seasons back them - so much more Kirk/Spock/McCoy goodness!
===

The main problem was that the Nielsen statistics back then weren't as detailed as they are now. All that the network saw was that the ratings were low, so they kept cutting the budget, making it more and more difficult to put on a show of decent quality (especially after Gene Coon left in the second season, and Roddenberry made it clear that he wasn't interested once it was clear that there wouldn't be a fourth). AIUI, even in first run, it did very well among young people, i.e. today's target demographic. So if the network had paid attention to that part of it, not only would there have been more seasons, but there would have been more seasons with a significant number of decent episodes (unlike season 3, which had more than its share of clunkers).

Given the above, I suppose that it's ironic that I put The Guardian on my list. Its ratings were actually fairly decent -- it was a top 30 show even in its third season, IIRC. But the people who were watching it were in the 35 - 65 year old age bracket, i.e. the people in whom the networks are no longer interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 10:15:54 AM PST
Balok says:
@JR Fleming:

> A British series.

That reminds me. Steven Moffat did a wonderful series called "Jekyll" with James Nesbitt and Gina Bellman. Nesbitt's performance made up for the occasional plot hole and the cringeworthy quality of some characters' so-called American accents. He left a cliffhanger ending and had the scripts already written for a second series and the idiot BBC bàstards didn't pick it up.

And speaking of cliffhangers -- Twin Peaks. While I think that the episode in which Laura's killer is revealed has one of the scariest scenes in TV history, I think that it's fairly obvious that revealing her killer, especially that early in the series, was a mistake. The show was clearly floundering for most of the second half of the second season. But it seemed to be righting itself towards then end. And now we'll never know if Cooper ever made it out of the Black Lodge.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 11:21:42 AM PST
Has there ever been a show more worthy of a second season than "Firefly"?

It managed to capture all the best elements of "Star Wars", every "Star Trek", "Battlestar Galactica", "Buck Rogers", "The A Team", "Logan's Run", "James Bond" and pretty much every Humphrey Bogart and Jimmy Cagney anti-hero. Maybe it would be impossible to keep up that level of dialogue, storyline, special effects, and sets for another season. It's obvious everyone involved in the show was inspired to give 110%.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 11:38:35 AM PST
JR Fleming says:
Balok,
I forgot about Jekyll and I agree.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:45:02 PM PST
K. J. Hart says:
Karen Sisco-Putting it opposite "Law and Order" was a big mistake.
Boomtown-The network never gave it a chance.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:46:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 12:47:13 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
mr. critic

In truth, Firefly only had half a season in the American broadcast network sense. They usually run for 22 to 24 episodes a season. How I wish we had gotten at least one full season before Fox jettisoned the best show they ever aired. Five to ten would have been better.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:51:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 12:55:15 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Invasion was another series that held my attention throughout its one and only season. ABC canceled it as the series was heading into its final episodes in the spring. Invasion was the third show the cancellation of which aroused my ire, the other two being Star
Trek: TOS, and Firefly.

I dearly wish we got to know about what the invasion was and who was behind it. A good show cut ruthlessly cut down.

The series was released on DVD. This was also a show that might have been a good candidate for Blu-ray.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:53:49 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Another show I enjoyed immensely that got cancelled after airing only 13 episodes was Keen Eddie. Anyone else have fond memories of that American detective in London series with Mark Valley?

Fortunately, the series was released on DVD.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:54:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 12:59:14 PM PST
Secret Circle had some real potential. It's a shame it got cut after the first season.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 3:14:32 PM PST
Really miss Harrys Law, guess shows that make you think are getting harder to fine
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Mystery and crime fiction--film, TV, print 465 8 minutes ago
One Degree of Separation - Season Three 6702 9 minutes ago
A dozen or so Film Directors who you wish where alive today. 32 27 minutes ago
British detective series--film and TV. Colonials welcome as well. 7230 50 minutes ago
Movie Game! 10 movies where... continued! 1093 7 hours ago
Rate The Last Movie You Watched 8019 8 hours ago
Scenes that broke your suspension of disbelief 91 9 hours ago
More Reviews of the Last Movie You Watched 4330 9 hours ago
What is your favorite Outer Limits episode? ?? 18 9 hours ago
Who is for you the ultimate box office poison ? 42 13 hours ago
Revenge of the World's Worst Discussion Thread...Ever! 498 15 hours ago
Post an unpopular statement about a classic movie 1120 21 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  88
Total posts:  355
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions