Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Agree Or Disagree

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 509 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:19:13 PM PST
Chris Evan played Captain America, and he's American. So nah, no reason to worry.

Statement:

More female super characters need to be brought to the big screen. It's time for the ladies we like so much to kick some butt on screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:29:04 PM PST
Hikari says:
@JB
Yeah, but does Captain America cancel out those other three? 'Cause those are the Big Three, no? Capt. America is kind of second-string compared to them. I mean, the Hulk is American and we've had him all however many times, but I'd hardly put Hulk in the top drawer of superheroes.

It just goes to show that the Brits are not satisfied to outclass us completely in the Shakespearean modes of acting, or in putting out superior television programs. Oh, no. They've got to come over here and show us up even in playing cartoons! I guess for them it's just another class of role in tights, and they are used to those. :) But it's not like a passel of American actors can barnstorm the RSC and take over the Shakespearean repetoire as easily as this . . I smell a disparity here.

(the preceding was intended humorously. I'm not bitter . . . but why do they have to outdo us at our own game as well as theirs?)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:37:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:38:28 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Not to forget dem pesky Aussies....Thor, Wolverine.

How 'bout Mad Max? Even though Mad Mel was born in the States, when he played the role, he was an Aussie - sometimes, all you need to qualify is the accent. Now, though, Mad Max is to take shape in the...shape of Tom Hardy. I wonder if he will try to tackle the Oz drawl?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:38:30 PM PST
I really don't think it's personal in regards to the Brits coming over here and working. Hollywood in renowned throughout the world, and is seen by every actor in the world as the mountain, whose top they all dream of reaching.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:50:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:57:08 PM PST
Hikari says:
@Sloany
Hadn't forgotten dem pesky Aussies . . .but neither Thor nor Wolverine is American, so you'se welcome to them. If the Norsemen and Canadians have a beef with you, that's their fight, not ours. :)

Mad Max is definitely your indigenous superhero, so you are welcome to him. And to Mel . . in fact, take him back--please!

Wanna know something scary? Mel would be eligible to run for President of the United States, because he is a natural-born citizen. That wouldn't be a good idea, mind, but it would not be illegal. I think if we sum up, Mel has spent more time here in the States than Down Under by this point in his life. He is a true hybrid, and look how well he's coped with that! He talks American now, which is kind of a shame, really . . . but he picked up that Aussie accent so easily because he hit your shores during his formative adolescent years.

Can I get into the TARDIS and go back to 1984? That was a good year for Mel . . and for me. We were both a lot younger!

I'm just having a bit o'fun here. Meryl Streep won an Oscar for portraying Margaret Thatcher, so she struck a blow for us Yanks, I'd say. Come to think of it Ms. Streep has played Aussie as well in that dingo baby movie we shall not mention. So there's our answer--Meryl Streep is America's secret weapon against bad acting/hewing to nationality! She's our superwoman and who cares that she's 62 years old? We'll send her in to kick all their asses--Garfield and Co. Ha!
-----
Just remembered Daniel Day-Lewis is portraying quintessential American Abraham Lincoln for Steven Spielberg. D@mmit, they win. They are always going to win, we may as well just accept it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:56:24 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Fret not, Milady. You'll always have the War of Independence. Not to mention the fact that Steve McQueen is by far the coolest character in 'The Great Escape'.

Wolverine IS Canadian! That there explains why HE is the coolest X-Man! ;p

Statement: The X-Men title is sexist!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:02:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 7:07:20 PM PST
Hikari says:
Agreed!!! Aren't half the X-Men actually X-Women? There's Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue (she's in a gray area), Kitty, the little girl that can run through walls . . .I suppose 'All-Inclusive X-Persons' would be too unwieldy.

STATEMENT: Beast is a bigger bad-azz than Nightcrawler.

P.S. The likes of us call it 'The War of Independence'. I believe in other circles it is known as the Act of Separation or "That Unfortunate Incident We Do Not Mention".

England may boast better actors than we have, but we have better teeth. So there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:37:46 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
"England may boast better actors than we have..."

Up for debate, if ya ask me.

"...but we have better teeth."

100% correct. They say that most of England's homeless have Dentist diplomas in their back pocket.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:51:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:52:23 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Re: "They say that most of England's homeless have Dentist diplomas in their back pocket."

Disagree. Who are "they", and are these diplomas forgeries or...

No, I don't know who Beast or Nightcrawler are. So if anyone wants to take that one, be my guest.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:10:57 AM PST
Kacee says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:22:08 AM PST
Oz le Fou says:
"....and are these diplomas forgeries or..."

Oh they're real...just unused.

Re: Beast/Nightcrawler

Agree. Kelsey Grammar has one hell of a temper!

Statement: The old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:25:48 AM PST
Kacee says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:38:52 AM PST
J. Baker says:
Agree.

Statement: By the time James Cameron makes 'Avatar 4', he still won't be as relevant as Walter Hill, but he sure will have a lot more money.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:40:37 AM PST
Agreed, since the general public just wants the same thing over and over again: flashy effects but no thought-provoking screenplay.

Statement: Aladdin, while entertaining, was incredibly influential in nearly all of the wrong ways.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:15:13 AM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Not this public. I want both flashy effects AND a thought-provoking screenplay.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:24:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 6:24:54 AM PST
Hikari says:
@Pastor

Agreed. I have always found "Aladdin" to be one of the creepier Disney outings.

STATEMENT: Robin Williams is a surprisingly effective dramatic actor and is less annoying actually than when he tries to be 'funny'. A 2-part, statement, A. and B.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:48:39 AM PST
Rock N Rolla: I think The Dark Knight was the best exception to that rule since The Lord of the Rings films.

Hikari: I didn't mean Aladdin to be necessarily creepy (the early Disney films like Pinocchio and Snow White attest to that), but it's been incredibly influential in the sense that nearly almost every single mainstream animated feature after it needed as many pop culture references and big celebrity voice casts after it. Almost every single DreamWorks film has ripped it off (Shrek, anybody?).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:18:05 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Agree halfway. I mean, he's not bad in some of his recent dramatic parts, but it's the earlier stuff like 'Moscow on the Hudson', 'Seize the Day', and 'Being Human' that impressed me most about Robin Williams as a dramatic actor.

Statement: Daniel Day-Lewis will win most of the major acting awards because of the role he's playing, in one of the most anticipated movies of the year, regardless if it's a truly inspired and brilliant performance or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:22:14 PM PST
Agree:

Statement: Lincoln will dominate the box office despite being an historical epic

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:33:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 6:34:00 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Agree...most likely. Spielberg hasn't had a great hit with a historical film in a long while, and I think it's about time.
Eastwood's movie about 'J. Edgar' sort of fizzled in theaters, but this was placed at the perfect time to provoke interest, and the hype has been just enough that it will likely go gangbusters at the box office.

Statement: I'm tired of hearing people complain about others expressing their political or social beliefs because they are celebrities or too rich or too poor or whatever. People are people, and everyone has a right to use their platform in life to be heard. It doesn't mean that Sean Penn's or Clint Eastwood's opinion is any more valid than the man on the soapbox in the park, or a weathered economic expert. The "shut up and perform" cry is juvenile and short-sighted. This goes hand-in-hand with the absurd idea that if one is dissatisfied with policies or election results they should "get out of MY Country".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:41:08 PM PST
Agree.

Statment: Hot Fuzz is one of the best comedies of the last twenty five years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:24:34 PM PST
Agree.

Statement: JB. Taylor and Baekyr seem to have strikingly similar usernames and portfolios (even moreso than my name in relationship with PoM as my username was meant to be a joke in and of itself).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:30:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:32:54 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Agree. The most impressive (and disturbing) aspect of the whole charade is that Baekyr would write those Kindle novels promoted on Taylor's homepage JUST to throw us (virtual strangers) off the scent. That's dedication.

Statement: Gordo is a proven liar and fabricator of fake Amazon identities.

ps: Just in case it's missed, my answer is sarcasm. My statement, however, is not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:34:17 PM PST
Hikari says:
JB and Baekyr--
I know we've moved on to another statement but can I ring in on Lincoln?

I agree that Steven Spielberg and Mr. Day-Lewis are likely to dominate most of the Oscar categories for this year, but I am less certain about box office domination. Last Christmas Steve gave us "War Horse" for an historical epic, and I think it fared respectably well at the box office and garnered a Best Picture nod, didn't it?--but it had plenty of competition. "Lincoln" opened today, right? And so did "Skyfall". I don't overestimate Americans' collective desire to sit though a Presidential biopic, no matter how beloved the President or how well-done the picture when they could be watching James Bond; Breaking Dawn: Part 2; The Hobbit; Les Miserables or Jack Reacher instead. Many people will opt to wait for the DVD on Lincoln. But it is entirely possible, nearly expected, that DDL will pick up his third Best Actor trophy come ceremony time. In Dan's hands I think it will be an inspired and brilliant perfomance . . but it's not going to beat Skyfall for box office. It will do steady business through the Christmas season and will surge again just before and just after Oscar time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:36:04 PM PST
H: I don't think it's going to do much at the box office considering there's not only competition from Skyfall but from the Hobbit which is due for release around Christmas.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  509
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions