Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The top ten anything thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 24, 2015 6:08:12 PM PDT
Larry, Larry, Larry...tsk...tsk...tsk...tsk. I didn't say nuffin' 'bout ol' No. 1. It was that sneaky anarchist Stevign whose favorite number is "1". Talk to him about starting all this trouble. Now I'll have to spend years clearing my name, thanks to you. All of this could have been avoided if you had just purchased a pair of reading glasses as we all prayed you would.

Posted on May 24, 2015 5:16:09 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Jeff: I wasn't going to say anything but since every one else is attacking you, and there is nothing like a good lynching to get the adrenaline flowing--the number one is an arrogant, egotistical, snobbish number and everyone knows it. You should have started with 2 and gone thru 13 and mega kudos to KAB for noticing that. "I'm Number 1" "I'm Number One!" Boy do I get tired of hearing that!!

Posted on May 24, 2015 5:14:01 PM PDT
KAB says:
I aint fraid of no ghosts

Posted on May 24, 2015 5:10:55 PM PDT
Boy, KAB. You are one brave soul, never afraid to court controversy. "13" strikes fear in the hearts of millions, millions of people who are superstitious and millions of people who don't smoke dope.

Posted on May 24, 2015 4:52:46 PM PDT
KAB says:
I really prefer 13. A great number. Not only a prime number, but one your favorite pastry shop should know when you stop in for a bakers dozen of glazed doughnuts

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2015 4:36:48 PM PDT
TIM says:
And zero, why is 0 always being dissed.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2015 4:21:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author 10 hours ago
Are you crazy? 4 is not a good number. No one likes it. I'd replace 4 with 11. Quick before someone gets upset.

Posted on May 24, 2015 9:44:33 AM PDT
stevign says:
Top Ten Numbers:

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2015 2:13:11 PM PDT
Sardy, there is no problem at all. It was a reasonable question. And you are right, there are a number of clever people in that thread. When I was choosing my favorite mix-up titles, I was pleased that the titles came from a lot of the people in there, not just one or two.

Posted on May 23, 2015 12:42:07 PM PDT
KAB says:
Baron, I am not a plagiarist, just a bit confused.

I saw Jeff's posts of mixed up titles, and decided to come up with a few of my own. I was completely unaware there was another thread devoted to this topic, so I posted them here. My apologies for the "mix up".

And thanks to Jeff for seeing that my list found the right home.

Posted on May 23, 2015 10:12:47 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Ten things I like to do other than watch or discuss movies (in no particular order):

1. Play video games casually
2. Play with my cats
3. Eat
4. Watch Football (though my investment in the sport is already starting to drain)
5. Family get-togethers
6. Write fictional stories
7. Play all sorts of board, card, and trivia games
8. Go to Elitch Gardens
9. Go vacationing in the mountains (I went skiing once, and would love to go back to Glenwood Springs someday)
10.Browse around the Internet

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2015 5:26:50 AM PDT
Sorry Jeff!

And that must have been a lot of work choosing from all those mixup entries. We have some very funny and talented people on this forum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2015 12:45:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2015 12:47:35 AM PDT
My posts were not cut and paste jobs. I was listing my Top Ten favorites from the Title Mix-Up thread.

KAB didn't cut and paste either. Those are ten titles which he created but accidently posted here instead of the Title Mix-Up thread.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2015 8:56:12 PM PDT
Miami Nights says:
Indeed.

"Magnificent" minds think alike. :)

Posted on May 22, 2015 7:26:40 PM PDT
Are people here just copying/pasting things from that movie title mixup thread?

Posted on May 22, 2015 2:11:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2015 2:20:12 PM PDT
KAB says:
10 More Title Mixes

Dr. No Time for Sergeants
In the Name of the Father of the Bride
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Galahad
Murder My Sweet Smell of Success
A Star is Born on the Forth of July (Oops a repeat, change to Blow Out of the Past)
It Happened One Night of the Hunter
Around the World in 80 Days of Wine and Roses
Shakespeare in Love is a Many Splendored Thing
Leave Her to Heaven Can Wait
The Third Man of Steel

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2015 1:24:24 PM PDT
Great minds think alike. I put "Snow White and the Magnificent Seven Samurai" in that mixup thread.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2015 10:21:26 AM PDT
Miami Nights says:
It COULD work well... but I emphasize the "could" because, just like you said, if they're going to be gimmicky and false with the "darkness," it's going to ring hollow.

Far too often, particularly with these superhero movies, the big studios pull their punches. In recent times, Nolan was just about the only director of superhero movies who didn't pull his punches at all times.

That interrogation scene from The Dark Knight in which Batman is punching the Joker in the face with all his might (and the Joker just laughs back at him) even made me feel uncomfortable and not much, if anything, gets me to cringe in that manner.

It had a "scary factor" to it that doesn't show up in many superhero flicks. It felt mature, adult... similar in some ways to the Evil Superman portion of Superman III.

For me, part of the problem with Henry Cavill as a Superman living in a "darker, more somber" world is that Cavill is no Christopher Reeve. Simply yelling and wailing (as Cavill does numerous times in Man of Steel) doesn't make up for a lack of acting ability, charisma and character development.

In terms of the upcoming Batman v Superman movie, it also doesn't help that Ben Affleck (Batman) isn't the best of actors. He may be a good director, but he's had decades to show his acting skills, and they're mediocre at best.

Many people online (in defense of Affleck's casting) pull the "Well, look what they said about Heath Ledger as the Joker and we know how that turned out..." argument. But, in a relatively short amount of time, Ledger showed and proved that he was a good actor. He took on challenging roles and nailed them. Even in his lesser movies targeting teens and young adults, he proved that he had true acting skills.

If Hollywood made a lower-budget Batman/Superman movie that solely or primarily targeted adult audiences, they might make something memorable, but with such big franchise names as Batman and Superman, they're going to be afraid of alienating audiences.

Those Dark Knight films by Christopher Nolan are about as truly "dark" as they're going to go with superheroes. It's all pale imitations from here on out... unless a big studio unloads another "Batman & Robin"-level turkey.

Posted on May 22, 2015 4:05:09 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Well, I had one with 10 connected movies and then I punched the wrong dratted (a very mild word compared to what I really said) I hit the wrong key and lost it instead of posting it. With my poor memory when I tried to recreate it later in the day--it was gone with the wind in the willows.

Posted on May 21, 2015 10:58:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2015 11:03:32 PM PDT
MY FIFTH TOP TEN FAVORITE POSTINGS FROM THE CURRENT MOVIE TITLE MIX-UPS THREAD:

How Green Was My Valley Girl
Tobacco Road Warrior
Wagon Master and Commander
Don't Look Now, Voyager
Letter from an Unknown Woman under the Influence
Heaven Can Wait Until Dark
The Good German Shepherd

plus...the massive 106 word movie title created by Jonathan Baker which, to view the entire movie, would take you over two and a half days without a bathroom break. A monumental achievement.

Are Children to Blame It on the Vodka Lemon Grove Kids Meet the Green Grasshopper and the Vampire Lady from Outer Space Cowboys Don't Cry of the City Island of Lost Souls at Sea of Loved One, Two, Three Faces of Eve of St. Mark of Zorro: The Gay Blade Rider, Revenge of the Indian National Velvet Underground and Nico Iconic, Ironic American Dream Lover Come Back to the Future Shock 'Em Dead Man Walking Tall in the Saddle Up with Dick Wrangler & Injun Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten Law - A Thrilling Drama Based on the Thaw-White Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

[over 30 movies listed]

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2015 7:52:09 PM PDT
Miami Nights says:
"Snow White and the Seven Samurai"

It was good to see at least one of mine get in one of your top ten listings.

I was beginning to get worried there. ;)

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:57:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2015 6:59:38 PM PDT
MY FOURTH TOP TEN FAVORITE POSTINGS FROM THE CURRENT MOVIE TITLE MIX-UPS THREAD:

A Streetcar Named Desiree
My Big Fat Greek Wedding Singer
Chelsea Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Butterfield 8˝
The Goodbye Girl, Interrupted
Life as a House of Wax
Twelve O'Clock High Noon
Air Force One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Up in the Air Up There
My Cousin Rachel Gets Married

Posted on May 21, 2015 6:47:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2015 12:35:21 PM PDT
MY THIRD TOP TEN FAVORITE POSTINGS FROM THE CURRENT MOVIE TITLE MIX-UPS THREAD:

Little Women in Love Actually
Forbidden Planet of the Apes
The Day the Earth Stood Still, Alice
Gone with the Winds of War
Snow White and the Seven Samurai
Guardians of the Galaxy Quest for Camelot
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Rwanda
Shoahgirls
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence of Arabia
Walkabout Last Night

Posted on May 21, 2015 5:50:21 PM PDT
TIM says:
Top 10 Re-boots (in honor of the recent Mad Max release)

Harry Potter (all 8)
The Nutty Professor
Titanic

Posted on May 21, 2015 4:01:54 PM PDT
MY SECOND TOP TEN FAVORITE POSTINGS FROM THE CURRENT MOVIE TITLE MIX-UPS THREAD:

Midnight in the Garden of the Finzi-Continis
Chitty Chitty Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Tarzan the Ape Man of LaMancha
To Die for Whom the Bell Tolls
Dr. Strangelove or: Good Night, and Good Luck
The World's Fastest Indian in the Cupboard
Citizen Kane Mutiny on the Bounty
The Magnificent Ambersons of Katie Elder
Ashes, Angela's Ashes
Only Two Can Play It Again, Sam
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 247 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  119
Total posts:  6172
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  8 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions