Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Things that make you go Hmmm

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2012 12:49:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 12:58:59 PM PST
RichieV says:
Have you noticed specific incidents in a movie that didn't live up to it's internal logic and made you go Hmmm?

I'll start with:

Star Wars takes place "a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away" but their space ships get their names because they look like letters in the English alphabet, X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing... Hmmm?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:49:01 PM PST
Most every movie has hmmm moments in them. Like:
Why isn't she carrying a purse?
Why didn't he take the car keys with him?
Those are wood floors, how could she not hear him walk up to her?
He just knocked all those people down, why isn't one of them chasing after him to punch his lights out?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 2:46:52 PM PST
El Emmarino says:
This has bothered me for awhile...

In 'The Island' (2005)  how did James McCord (Steve Buscemi) score such a super hot wife?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 3:15:14 PM PST
RichieV says:
In Highlander 2, the Quickening: One thing that bugs me, it's revealed the Immortals are Aliens banished from a the planet Zeist But when Sean Connery pops back into existence (Another Hmmm moment) he is shocked by the new fangled flying machine that he rides in... He is an Alien from a different planet but is shocked by an airplaine??? Hmmm....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:00:05 PM PST
D. Larson says:
If those are the only thing about Highlander 2 that hmmmms you, you are a lucky, lucky man.

Certainly, there are worse movies. But not that many of them. What a steaming heap Highlander 2 turned out to be, especially considering how cheesily brilliant Highlander 1 was!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:13:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 11:40:45 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
I watched 'Top Gun' over the break, and a whole new world of Hmmm opened up. Firstly, when Mav and Goose are in the bar, they make a bet about "gettin' lucky'', and Goose says, "You have to have carnal knowledge, of a lady this time, on the premises." Of a lady this time? Hmmmmm.

So now my Hmmm-o-meter is piqued, and I'm keeping my eye out for more subtle navy selling points, and up jumps, "He's on our tail, coming hard.", and I'm like, Hmmmmm.

Not to be outdone, soon enough it's, "He's going for the hard-deck. Let's nail him." By now I'm Hmmming all over the place.

Still more, as the recently buzzed tower dude says, ''I want their butts! Damn it, that's twice. I want some butts!'' Can one possibly Hmmmm more than I am already? Is there a mega-Hmmmm?

Yes, yes there is, and it comes in the shape of a bare-chested volleyball game in a movie that is unashamedly pitched towards young men; young men who are potential recruits!

Ironic that 'Hmmmm' is a sound often heard from the curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:21:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 8:25:19 PM PST
RichieV says:
D. Larson, when people ask what is my least favorite movie of all time, I have to say Highlander 2, partly because of the giant gaps in logic, and partly because of how much I liked the first Highlander, enjoying the first made a bad sequel that much worse.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:24:40 PM PST
RichieV says:
E.T.

In the beginning of the movie, E.T. races on his stubby little legs to get back to his ship, just to fall short.
Later in the movie it is revealed E.T. can fly.
Why didn't E.T. fly back to the ship in the beginning of the movie? Hmmm

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:28:02 PM PST
D. Larson says:
Also, Highlander 2? No Clancy Brown.

And Clancy Brown was the bestest bad guy ever, in Highlander 1!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:33:05 PM PST
D. Larson says:
In one or another of the seemingly endless "Lord of the Rings", part 2 I think it was, Gandalf is rescued from the tower by really large eagles. Much bigger than average.

Later on, some giant eagles attack some sort of dragon-like flying creatures which are making life difficult for some one or another of the armies.

And later on, Frodo and Sam get eagled out again, saved from molten lava (wouldn't they have been crispied by radiant heat, by the way?)

So, we got giant eagles. Why then, way back in the beginning, do Frodo and Sam et al not simply get the eagles to fly them over Mount Doom, chuck in the ring, problem solved. Easy peasey! Instead, they spend weeks slogging on foot over hill and dale and tunnel and cave and always with the Orcs and large spiders and Gollum being difficult.

Seems to me that the whole trek could've been shortened up a whole lot with the use of a little air power.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:38:07 PM PST
D. Larson says:
So, hmmmmmm, what you're implying is that there's a whole lotta hoyay going on in "Top Gun"?

Hey, at least Maverick is a "top" gun, not a bottom.

There's a whole lot of action in the cockpits, if you know what I mean and I think you do. Gonna fly this thing right up his tailpipe, are ya?

You wouldn't have caught any of those "The Right Stuff" aviators getting their tailhooks in these situations; they were all dead butch.

We want you, we want you, we want you for a new recruit!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:15:01 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Clancy in Highlander. Yessum! Not too shabby as the psycho-killer in 'Shoot to Kill' either (a movie that I'm sure has many 'Hmmm' moments, but I ain't dissing a Berenger/Poitier film, no ma'am).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:18:03 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Personally, I was surprised the eagles didn't Eat the Hobbits.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:27:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 10:24:46 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
There is a subtle sell of.....er....alternative....erm.....experiences. That's it.
"The Navy. We ask, so tell!"

But wait, there's more. How 'bout the scene in the elevator when the sexual chemistry between Cruise and McGillis is *finally* realised because McGillis is dressed like a man! You know, bomber jacket, boots and hair pulled up into the cap.

I think now is the perfect time to cue The Village People's 'In the Navy'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:04:17 AM PST
Are you saying they used joy sticks in Top Gun?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 10:17:56 AM PST
Miami Nights says:
Why don't people ever say bye at the end of phone calls? They just hang up on the other person. How does the other person know the conversation is over?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 11:53:52 AM PST
Good one Miami. They usually do not allow enough time for the other person to talk either. Reality is not a films strong suite.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 6:06:57 AM PST
Balok says:
@D. Larson:

> Why then, way back in the beginning, do Frodo and Sam et al not simply get the eagles to fly them
> over Mount Doom, chuck in the ring, problem solved.

I don't know about the movie (Part I was more than enough for me), but in the book, it's fairly clear that the only thing that the Ringbearer has going for him is stealth, i.e. Sauron won't expect him to chuck it into Mt. Doom. If a flight of giant eagles suddenly appears over the borders of Mordor, Sauron will send his crack team of flying Nazgul to take them down. Game Over. In fact, in the book, someone (Gandalf IIRC) says explicitly that if instead of making war on Gondor, Sauron had spent his energies making sure that no one could get into Mordor, the Ringbearer would not have had a chance.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 6:29:53 AM PST
Balok says:
I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but in _The Spanish Prisoner_, I spent most of the movie wishing that I could shout at the screen, "You Moron! His FINGERPRINTS ARE ON THE BOOK!" And when he suddenly realizes, "Hey, his fingerprints are on the book," I really wanted to shout "Well, Duh." Only my native good breeding prevented that embarrassing action. Actually, in _The Spanish Prisoner_ (which by the way is *not* the con that they pull), I never understood the entire setup. If the idea is to "catch" the attempted theft of the notebook containing The Formula by arresting him as soon as the transfer was made, why chance something getting screwed up by taking the actual notebook -- why not take one filled with random scribblings? Since the arrest is supposed to be made immediately anyway, it's not as if he's going to have time to look it over and run away when he sees that he's been duped. For that matter, when Our Hero finds that his friend has been brutally murdered and hears the police on the way, why does he run -- moreover, leaving his bloody glasses behind? Since flight is evidence of guilt, why doesn't he stay in the apartment and tell the police the truth? My God, David Mamet is the master of the "incredibly annoying screenplay that isn't nearly as clever as David Mamet seems to think it is."

In _The Next Three Days_ (the American version), why do they attempt to escape from Pittsburgh to Buffalo by driving south? (Yes, I know that only someone from Pittsburgh would have paid attention to the numerous errors in geography, which were about as bad as the ones in _Striking Distance_.)

If _Dead Poets Society_ is about a teacher who wants to inspire his students to think for themselves, why does he tell them to rip an insipid essay about poetry out of their textbooks, unread, instead of giving an assignment along the lines of "List five reasons that the essay is stupid, and provide support for your reasons from any poems of your choice"? (Which is why I always refer to DPS as "A remake of _The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie_, except that this time, the fascists are the good guys.")

In _Rush Hour 2_, James Carter (Chris Tucker) is supposedly a policeman. Why does he not bother to check if the hot but evil (or evil but incredibly hot, as you prefer) Hu Li (Ziyi Zhang) is actually dead?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 7:59:20 AM PST
D. Larson says:
I cheerfully bow to your superior knowledge of things Ringsian. Despite the efforts of various classmates, roommates, friends, lovers, enemies and movie nerds pressing paperbacks of the Lords/Ring upon me, I never got past the first few chapters. Which bored me blind.

Tolkien was writing for an audience that didn't include me. Give me Phil Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy any day, and twice on Sundays. That's the good stuff.

Seriously, any one of those three is much more imaginative and interesting than all the Lords put together and toss in a "Hobbit".

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:11:35 PM PST
Balok says:
@D. Larson:

> I cheerfully bow to your superior knowledge of things Ringsian. Despite the efforts of various classmates, roommates, friends,
> lovers, enemies and movie nerds pressing paperbacks of the Lords/Ring upon me, I never got past the first few chapters.

I liked _The Hobbit_ and _LOTR_, but I could never get past the first chapter of _The Silmarillion_ -- it brought up too many traumatic memories of having been forced to read large swaths of _Paradise Lost_ when I was in 12th grade. That's why when the real Ring-weenies tell me, "Well, having them rescued by Arwen instead of Glorfindel wasn't so bad because according to _The Silmarillion_, Glorfindel had been killed anyway," I start nodding encouragingly and backing slowly out of the room.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 4:30:16 PM PST
KAB says:
The referee never stops the bout by TKO when Rocky fights (insert opponent here)
Hmmm

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 7:18:10 PM PST
D. Larson says:
"I can't see nothin, you gotta open my eye! Cut me, Mick!"

Mick: "I don't wanna do it!"

Rocky: "Go ahead, cut me!"

In "real" boxing, other than in a couple Mike Tyson bouts, I don't recall seeing that much intentional bloodying.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:28:52 PM PST
RichieV says:
In Star Wars Phantom Menace Palpatine creates a crisis in Naboo so people will lose faith in the Galactic Senate and he can gain control.

But when the Jedi's discover the crisis tries to kill them.

How is anyone going to know about the crisis on Naboo if no one goes back and says, "Hey, there's a crisis on Naboo?" Wouldn't two Jedi's going back and reporting the crisis be perfect for his plan? Why is he trying to kill them?

Hmmmm?

(I know, this isn't my Hmmm but it is still a good question, almost as many Hmmms in this as the plot to Prometheus)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions