Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Gladiator w/russell Crowe

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 4:09:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 4:10:50 PM PST
mack says:
This was a really good movie! I have seen it so many times , plus I have it on dvd...

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:23:14 PM PST
J. Baker says:
It ain't a patch on 'Spartacus'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:25:01 PM PST
Dude, 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' is where it's at.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:39:48 PM PST
I love me some gladiator movies.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:32:43 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Ah, curt declarative statements - what a thread! Here's another:

'The 300 Spartans' is about 300x better than '300', give or take a spartan.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:47:37 AM PST
D. Larson says:
OK. serially now, I didn't much care for "Gladiator". And it certainly didn't deserve an Oscar win. I won't quibble with the historical howlers; it's a sword and sandals epic, not a history text.

But the plot is mawkish and sentimental in ways the Romans never were. The visuals are dark and murky (and the CG backgrounds annoyingly blurry). If you want to see Roman spectacle done right, check out "Ben Hur". And Crowe acts, as he so often does, kind of stunned, like a man who's been hit with a two by four a time too many.

"Gladiator" is OK as these sorts of things go, but for me, not a great movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:50:51 AM PST
mack says:
I thought it was morethan just o.k. I thought it was a really good movie & all my friends like it a lot also. Ben Hur was also a good movie too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:52:14 AM PST
mack says:
Thieir both great movies in my opinion....I have them both on dvd.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:09:34 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Maybe Kent C. Straight's mom has a good suggestion of a gladiator movie we haven't seen yet...

Whatever any of you do, don't go to the "Worst Sequels" thread where they're making horrendous puns like "Glad-he-ate-her".

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:09:30 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 20, 2012 1:09:42 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:50:34 AM PST
D. Larson says:
Yup, for Oscar-worthy Ho-yay, you can't beat "Spartacus"!

So, will you be having snails with that? Or would you prefer oysters?

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 3:31:30 AM PST
It's a fine film but not in the same class as it's inspirations, Spartacus and The Fall Of The Roman Empire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 3:36:45 AM PST
Spartacus wasn't even all that great of a Kubrick effort to begin with.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 5:17:50 AM PST
W.T. says:
Gladiator is a really good, exciting movie, but it doesn't have as much real meaning behind it as did Spartacus.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:04:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 10:05:04 AM PST
Big mistake(s) in the Best Actor Oscar win: Russell Crowe should NOT have won Best Actor for 'Gladiator' -- he gave a far better performance in 'A Beautiful Mind', which should have brought him home the trophy instead. The fact that Denzel Washington won for 'Training Day' instead of Crowe for 'A Beautiful Mind' was ridiculous. Denzel also won for the wrong movie -- his performance in 'Hurricane' is arguably his crowning glory.

Obviously, these are just my own opinions. But the Academy continues to do incredulous things. Other examples: Paul Newman winning Best Actor for 'The Color of Money' instead of 'The Verdict'. Geraldine Page winning Best Actress for 'The Trip to Bountiful' instead of Meryl Streep for 'Out of Africa'. Unbelievable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 10:49:43 AM PST
W.T. says:
Another example of the same may happen imminently: Kathryn Bigelow won for "The Hurt Locker", which was a very good war movie, but too uneven to be a best picture, but she probably won't win for "Zero Dark Thirty", which is her masterpiece, because it is deemed "non-pc".

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 12:30:04 PM PST
It's a little too eager to adore the brave soldiers and slaves and exaggerate the nastiness of wealthy Romans (though I feel quite sure some of them were nasty.) Russel Crowe does a pretty good job with a rather one dimensional script. Jaquin(?) Phoenix overacts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 1:16:37 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Phoenix does get a bit over the top in Gladiator...

But boy did he ever nail his role in The Master. Really enjoyed that flick....Too bad it missed out on a best picture nomination....tis a shame....

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 4:49:09 PM PST
mack says:
I thought Spartacus was a very good movie with Kirk Douglas & Jean Simmons.....I have it on dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 4:51:03 PM PST
mack says:
I agree.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:10:57 PM PST
If the ending to Gladiator wasn't so freaking awesome with one of the best closing themes of all time so as to make you forget about everything that happened before it, it's easy to understand why it's one of those movies you watch just for the actual Colosseum scenes.

"A Beautiful Mind" was nothing more than an exploitation flick of schizophrenia with a stupid title (virtually none of it was true, and its idea of schizophrenia was so off-the-mark of reality that it did more damage than good for actual sufferers), so I have no respect for that Oscar-fishing nonsense. John Nash's life (and, for emphasis, a mind-blowing insensitive portrayal of schizophrenia and the mental health field, especially his own and the absolutely absurd ECT scene) was butchered just to make a film about something that didn't even happen, but looked good on-screen.

At least Gladiator didn't do damage to everyday society like A Beautiful Mind did. Sure, practically its entire portrayal of Roman society was downright stupid (especially the "evil emperor" antagonist, who was actually very well-liked by his people in history), but I'll give it credit for that, and for providing a guilty pleasure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 7:31:30 AM PST
D. Larson says:
Let's see... the Romans opressed the known world, extorted taxes from everybody, had a brutal slave economy, enjoyed forcing people to fight to the death against each other and animals, and regarded torture as both genteel entertainment and punishment for complaining. And had a ruling class of degenerates, psychopaths and dictators.

But, they had hot water!

So, I'm gonna give them a pass on the cruelty and enslaving and so on. Hot water makes up for a lot. I expect that Spartacus and his crowd had pretty dodgy hygiene.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 4:56:52 PM PST
I may be in the minority(What's new)but, I thought Denzel deserved the Oscar for Training Day over Crowe.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 12:41:11 PM PST
Kubrick was thrown into "Spartacus" at the last second knowing Kirk Douglas could exert veto power over important decisions. Kubrick badly needed the money and his first director's credit on a big film. (I still feel "Spartcus" is superior to "Gladiator".)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 12:51:49 PM PST
MarcTheKing says:
Loved Oliver Reed in it. I was curious to find out that Reed died during the filming of it and had to had a double do some of his final scenes. I had never seen his films from the early years, but I did do some research and this guy had quite a history. Between Reed, Richard Burton, Peter O'Toole and Richard Harris, its amazing England had any liquour left to quaff. The book "Hellraisers" tells all the sordid details.

Hellraisers: The Life and Inebriated Times of Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole, and Oliver Reed
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions