Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Anybody else think Robert Downey Jr is a horrible actor?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 118 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:04:55 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "I wonder what stoned 70s icon he's going to model Tonto on?"

Sid Vicious? Billy Idol? Patti Smith?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 6:54:52 PM PST
stevign says:
You forgot the great Cate Blanchett.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 6:44:41 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "I would say Gary Oldman might be the best actor at disappearing into a role"

That would be hard to argue against, Oldman is one of the finest actors in the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 3:45:08 PM PST
C. J. Vasta says:
Now you're making him sound like Johnny Depp. I wonder what stoned 70s icon he's going to model Tonto on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 3:09:19 PM PST
C. J. Vasta says:
I think Pitt actually has more range than Redford. Redford got his rep by being cast in some A-list movie but the typical Redford role can be summarized as the Golden boy with the winning smile who is not as self-assured he seems. Pitt's roles are considerably more varied.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 1:32:38 PM PST
C. J. Vasta says:
So you've ever taken Luden's Throat Drops, Wild Cherry-30 ct, you're the same as Robert Downey Jr. I don't think so.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 1:23:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 1:43:58 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> I would say Gary Oldman might be the best actor at disappearing into a role.

Commissioner Gordon wasn't a very challenging role.

You want an actor who really disappears into a role? Try Jenette Goldstein. Her name doesn't ring a bell? She is the Jewish actress who played one of cinema's greatest Latina heroines, Vasquez in Aliens. She also played John Connor's white-trash foster mother in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Utterly unrecognizable in looks, accent, voice, and attitude.

Some more versatile actors:

Jamie Foxx (Ray, Collateral)
Naomi Watts (Mulholland Drive, 21 Grams, Tank Girl)
Michael Rooker (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Mallrats, Bastard out of Carolina)
Jean-Hugues Anglade (37.2° le matin, Killing Zoe, La femme Nikita)
Glenn Close (Fatal Attraction, The Shield, Dangerous Liaisons)
John Malkovich (In the Line of Fire, Being John Malkovich, Death of a Salesman)
Peter Greene (The Mask, Clean, Shaven, Pulp Fiction, Training Day)
Mira Sorvino (Quiz Show, Mighty Aphrodite, Sweet Nothing, The Replacement Killers)
Eric Bana (Munich, Chopper, Finding Nemo)
Guy Pearce (Memento, The King's Speech, The Hurt Locker)
Toni Collette (Muriel's Wedding, Little Miss Sunshine, United States of Tara, The Sixth Sense)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 11:59:57 AM PST
C. J. Vasta says:
"Isn't a lazy actor, the same as bad actor." I take it you never someone really trying hard to act.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 11:38:52 AM PST
C. J. Vasta says:
I would say Gary Oldman might be the best actor at disappearing into a role. There's a world of difference between Commisioner Gordon and Zorg.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 2:37:18 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> Sean Connery could turn in great performances in otherwise very average productions and get no praise.

Have you been living in a cave? Sean Connery won an Academy Award for The Untouchables (even with his Scottish accent playing an Irish cop), and won a Golden Globe nomination for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:32:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 12:33:22 PM PST
Sean Connery could turn in great performances in otherwise very average productions and get no praise. Downey could turn in a very average performances in great productions and get all kinds of praise.

The gatekeepers and tastemakers of Hollywood must be effeminate manic druggies that celebrate their own kind (yes that is deliberate trolling but isn't there just a grain of truth to it?)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:17:34 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> Downey is good at playing the same attention seeking manic childlike character in every movie.

And your example of a good actor is Sean Connery, who plays the same macho, sardonic, domineering character in every film?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:43:30 AM PST
His rehab was heroic? Why do I get the feeling he simply traded in his cocaine and heroin for snorting or injecting various pills? Downey is good at playing the same attention seeking manic childlike character in every movie. Sometimes it works.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:21:59 PM PST
stevign says:
Wow, thanks for the behind-the-scenes skinny on Downey. I had a hunch that was what he was like.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:21:22 AM PST
He is a brilliant actor, really one of the best of his generation. He is also a self-absorbed whackjob who is intolerable personally. What an aye whole. Not a very good person. I worked on a few films as a production assistant, and was friends with a former personal assistant of his (after rehab). Having said all that, we forgive our great artists for being essohbees all the time, as well we should. Not everybody can be Meryl Streep in real life. And also, anybody who survived his reckless drug years and lived to tell the tale, has a free pass. His rehab was heroic. If only he didn't talk about himself all the time and find himself so adorable. He never makes fun of himself or is self-effacing unless he's trying to get applause and adoration for doing so. That's a nasty trait. But anybody who says he's not a good actor is baffling. He is indeed very good at what he does.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 9:01:25 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "Let's just say Downey has a very limited range, but that happens to be a range that screenwriters and directors have found a place for."

Well put, I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:54:23 PM PDT
stevign says:
I agree he can act, maybe that's the problem, he's always "acting". What mr.critic said is true, It seems like 95% of the time Downey is putting on a one-man show to prove how witty and funny he can be. Maybe it's just me but it seems like he's constantly covering up a lot of insecurity, and it shows.
Actors often get asked about how much of their performance is "them" as apposed to their character? I imagine Downey saying "It's all me, very little is about the character".

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 11:33:01 AM PDT
Wow, this thread is still going. In the last 2 years I've seen "Iron Man 1", "The Avengers", and "Sherlock Holmes II", and though perhaps not "horrible" Downey plays a very slight variation on the same role...yes that includes "Chaplin" and "Tropic Thunder."

Let's just say Downey has a very limited range, but that happens to be a range that screenwriters and directors have found a place for. I don't see him becoming the next Michael Caine or the next Sean Connery.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 10:37:02 AM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
I think this is a crazy fourm topic. Downey Jr can act his as* off.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 7:10:40 AM PDT
3mundi says:
I completely agree with you mate. He's infuriating to watch - his dialogue is always needlessly convoluted

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 11:06:44 PM PST
he's a good actor imo.
I was sure he'd od and go down as another dopehead loser. but he pulled it out.
which he deserves to be reconized for, good for him, I am so tired of hollywood od's. .
I never saw him in a bad performance , not once. he's pretty good usually. and nick cage has done some good work , and some bad work. people forget he has done some fine work. his career has been b movie storylines in A budget movies for a while now though. since the late90's. which he does a good enough job in. he was great in 'windtalkers' though.

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 3:19:22 AM PST
Tavolta & Cage in Face-Off, Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon - two occasions when the art and craft of acting jumped off the screen and slapped me in the face - I thought - wow ! - now that really is a skill very few people have ! - most of our famous actors are really great stars as opposed to great actors - Downey Jr is perfectly acceptable but I have yet to see him do anything out of the ordinary - I would have to agree and say he is over-hyped

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 4:15:12 PM PST
pkg says:
You are exactly right about Chaplin. I totally agree with you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 2:30:42 PM PST
Jennifer, you're completely correct about Matt Dillon. I think he is happy (as any decent actor over a pathetic 'A'list' rated loser getting all the roles on offer) as his films have a far better strike rate in quality and watchability than all these other jerks, particularly the ones you mention). He also doesn't go in for this unmanly chest-waxing thing that all the charisma-free pretend men go for, and is not afraid of looking like a man should look. 'Albino Alligator', 'Drugstore Cowboy', 'Golden Gate', 'Singles' ', 'Grace Of My Heart', 'Beautiful Girls' , 'Wild Things', 'Crash', 'City Of Ghosts' (his directorial debut which he also starred in with a 1st rate pick of actors he personally chose) are a random bunch of the decent things he has done and any of those A-wishers would kill (if they were honest and ego-free) to do something this worthwhile. Kevin Bacon is another cool actor in the quality star mode that is underrated-there's loads of them.

I don't why he was brought up to be dissed, this deliberate baiting I suppose, but I don't know how anyone could diss him when he hardly spreads himself around like fly-repellent and conducts his life away from the cameras. (Hear that Cruise, Clooney, Tatum, Jolie, Paltrow etc?).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2010 7:32:35 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 27, 2011 2:03:23 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Jul 17, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions