Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The one that got you hooked.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2011 6:02:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 7:57:57 PM PST
For most movie lovers, there is that one special movie that got you hooked on cinema. That magical moment when you realised just how powerful movies can be, and that you would maintain an interest for the rest of your life.

The one that got me hooked was John Carpenters 'Halloween'. I was way too young when I sneaked out of my bedroom in the middle of the night to watch this movie that my parents wouldn't let me see. In the ensuing hour and a half I realised the sheer emotional impact that movies can have. I am much older now (humph), but still I freak out a little at the sight of the Michael Myers mask (or even a very pale William Shatner). A movie had left its first permanent impression on me and I have never looked back.

What was your movie?

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 6:47:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2011 7:38:05 PM PDT
I have always loved a good movie since I can remember. But the earliest one that I can think of that had the strongest impact on me at the time was probably the original 1968 "Planet of the Apes" starring Charlton Heston. I was six years old that year and saw it at a Drive-in and my eyes were glued to the screen the entire time. That movie really had an affect on me that lasted for quite awhile. This film had it all, action, adventure, comedy, drama. It really made you think about things in life as well, and Wow, that powerful ending! Just an all-around great moviegoing experience.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 7:11:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2011 7:18:51 PM PDT
It had to be an insane movie......I`m thinking "Natural Born Killers",that film was just so jam packed with information overload and an overwhelming abundance ov misanthropic zeal and bloodsoaked gore but still very romantic and powerfully/visually/aurally moving,it just carved itself into my mind when I saw it (I believe in the theatrical release)..........heh.....

But as a kid,it definately had to be "Gremlins"........that was the be all end all ov all childhood cinematic feasts.......a very perverse horror movie masquerading as a dark comedy that was made to absolutely terrify little caffeinated brats,as much as it was to sell commercial products.......that definately would not get a "PG" rating were it to be released these days.......but that`s probably what impinged itself most on my juvenile mind at the time.....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 7:54:29 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Wow, Rock--you saw Planet of the Apes at six? When I was six, I was just discovering the Wonderful World of Disney features!

I saw PotA at around 10 or 11, and it was still frightening as hell to me. "Shock" describes my reaction at the ending, with the Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand.

For me I'd probably have to go with "The Wizard of Oz". I have visceral memories of hiding under the kitchen table during the parts where the Wicked Witch came on so she wouldn't see me and climb through the television to get me with her green claw hands. I was not more than four at the time.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 8:06:37 PM PDT
I still climb under tables when the Wicked Witch appears.lol Creepy old hag!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 8:07:21 PM PDT
War Games (Gateway Drug!)...

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (Addiction noticeably serious!!)...

Barton Fink (a confirmed, hardcore addict!!!)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 8:20:12 PM PDT
Hi Hikari...

I was lucky as a child growing up, I was able to view many excellent films. My Mother took us to the movies a lot. We saw many of the Disney features and other childrens films, but we also were able to see all of the Clint Eastwood, Charlton Heston, and John Wayne movies too. Some movies you would eventually doze off to as they just weren't all that interesting to a child, but not POTA.

As for the "The Wizard of Oz", we used to watch it on TV every year and the Witch was pretty scary, but not nearly as scary as the flying Monkeys. Those things always creeped me out as a kid.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 9:16:43 PM PDT
Many films come to mind, movies that ignited the spark of interest. To this day I still think this is one of the greatest and most interesting forms of art. And to think, a good portion of it is (and has been) created simply for money, simply to distract people for ninety minutes-- rather than to move them or provoke thought from them.

As a kid I enjoyed many movies, especially on TV because they were free and plentiful-- to a degree. Certain films were annual 'special events' that we actually planned on being home for, no matter what (Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, King Kong, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, etc). And I ate up tons of fantasy and horror and scifi movies on weekends and afternoons when TV used to show very cool fare. The likes of Vincent Price, Alfred Hitchcock, William Castle, and George Pal totally charmed me and made me a fan.

But certain films showed me that this was a powerful medium that could work magic with story and visuals and sound and characters. "Psycho" was thrilling as a twisty mystery at first glance, but upon repeated viewings I knew it was truly a multi-layered masterpiece ... even though it was done so simply (and economically). Even now I love watching that one. Hitchcock's gems from the 40's through the 60's were like a cinematic treat, a rich dish worth savoring. I mean, what's more fun than sitting down to enjoy "North By Northwest" or "Rear Window"?

I eventually grew fond of classic movies, of film noir and musicals and Universal monsters and slapstick. Watching material like "Sunset Boulevard", "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", "Night of the Hunter", "Laura", and "Singin' in the Rain" began to become more than a passing fancy. Nothing could please me more than catching Laurel and Hardy on TV, or a Jerry Lewis movie, or a Marx Brothers romp. Just terrific. I also fell in love with the sublime animated movies from Disney Studios: "Pinocchio", "Cinderella", "Dumbo", etc. These were special, with excellent art, story work, and songs.

In 1977 when I was eleven I saw "Star Wars" just as summer was beginning. There was no line at the theater; it was just before the film caught fire with the public. I was instantly enthralled with the adventure, the comedy, the music, the strange settings and creatures. This probably was my main movie experience that gripped me strongest. And to think, at its core this was a fairy tale about the rescue of a princess. But it was good stuff with heart, and it cemented my love affair with films. Now, I realize that many fans treat Star Wars like the greatest thing since the wheel, and because of that it is often (understandably) considered overrated by later generations; but for a kid like me it was refreshingly exciting and larger than life. It's hard to effectively express the feelings I had that afternoon watching that story unfold so thrillingly. There was a sense of wonder.

I can imagine that seeing Planet of the Apes when it came out in 1968 must have stirred similar feelings.

(Then later when I got older and discovered movies such as "2001", "Jaws", "Nashville", "The Shining", "Amadeus", and "The Godfather" ... wow!)

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 9:59:33 PM PDT
Snow White and Seven Dwarfs, which I saw in a drive in. I think it was shown along with "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth",

But movies continued to shock and awe me all the way up to about 1998...to the point where I went to film school.

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 10:41:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 3:13:23 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 12:33:23 AM PDT
I saw a lot of Disney films as a kid growing up in the 60s. 20000 Leagues Under the Sea was my favorite. I also remember seeing all the James Bond movies and Planet of the Apes. The Dirty Dozen was probably my favorite along with True Grit of the non-Disney films.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 12:36:37 AM PDT
Skull Hunter Ghoul-Great choice. One of my favorite movies and the best Oliver Stone movie. In my top 10 movies of the 90s. Didnt know anybody else liked it. LOL.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 4:19:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 4:22:33 AM PDT
Yeah,Oliver Stone is greatly underrated as a director....at least from a non-babyboomer/indie fan perspective.....I saw "The Doors" as a kid and I think it subconsciously affected my entire existence......I was wearing "Lizard King" shirts to Catholic School at the age ov 12.......

Quentin Tarantino writing the screenplay while more "trusted" and experienced "big name/bigger budget" Film Makers directed them was a great,great match made in Cinema Valhalla....look at "True Romance" for further forensic evidence....

It`s good to know I`m not the only Mickey and Mallory Knox Fan here......cheerz.........

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 5:24:26 AM PDT
Tarantino was none too happy with the end result of 'Natural Born Killers' and the relationship between him and Stone is frosty to say the least. I don't know why though, coz i thought Stone nailed it, with all the freaky visuals and over-all mania throughout. Rodney Dangerfield is scarily good as Mallory's father, and i love Downey jr's role too.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 6:30:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 6:48:30 AM PDT
Tarantino is never satisfied with people taking artistic liberties with his offspring.....he hated the ending ov "True Romance" until it was cinematically contrasted with his original vision.....then he was forced to admit that Tony Scott was,indeed,right to alter it from the screenplay.......

"Natural Born Killers" would not have been nearly the Breathtaking Cinematic Feast that it was/is had Tarantino directed it himself,even speaking as a Huge Tarantino fan.The famous phrase from that particular feud was/is "Stone makes Films,Tarantino makes Movies",I don`t know which one uttered it (In the "first person",ov course......Though I`m pretty sure it was Stone),but I agree whole heartedly with that assessment in general,as Tarantino`s fanatical obsession for "Grindhouse/Horror Movies" attests......cheerz

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 1:21:21 PM PDT
D. Larson says:
Yeah, if Tarantino had directed, it'd have been just another pastiche of quotes from bad movies he'd seen and loved. Cute, but there's a limit to how much cute I'm up for. Kill Bill being the perfect example. There's a whole lot of cute there.

I wonder what Oliver Stone could've done with Kill Bill. If DePalma had directed Reservoir Dogs. If Inglorious Basterds had been a Francis Ford Coppola film.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 1:56:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 1:56:56 PM PDT
Stone is overlooked. Wall Street was dead on about our impending future empowerment of piracy. His other eighties movies are really quite good. It all went downhill, in my opinion with NBK, which seemed too hurried and busy...it could have benefited from restraint but the material was not about that...so its not Stone's fault perhaps, but a fault of the aesthetic assumptions.

Tarantino does suffer from going from the Sublime from to the Absurd, in a bad way, but he does have a wicked sense of humor, one of his dominant qualities, that Stone and Coppola do NOT have. Tarantino would see the humanity in street walkers, while Stone would see the humanity in expensive Call Girls.
DePalma maybe. In fact, DePalma seems like Tarantino's precursor.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 5:44:11 PM PDT
I like that Stone takes stands and chances that are not popular and makes it work. JFK, Natural Born Killers, Wall St., and many others are great because of him. Im a baby boomer who really appreciates Stones work, especially Natural Born Killers.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 7:06:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 8:18:29 PM PDT
MarcTheKing says:
I know I'm posting in great company. Nearly all of my favorite films have been listed here, and as a child of the 80's (born in 75), I too savored every repeated viewing of Pee Wee's Big Adventure, War Games, not to mention Goonies, Ghostbusters Rambo: First Blood Pt. II and of course the Star Wars Trilogy.

HOWEVER...the biggest revelation that would lead to my ultimate film fanboy phase was "The Shining". A television broadcast in the late 80's showed me the raw power and creepiness that was achievable in the movies. Since then, I became Stephen King's # 1 Fan ;) , a follower of everything Jack Nicholson, and of course plundered Kubrick's catalog. My next phase came with the 90's indie Miramax revolution and found that Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers were both to my taste as well. A viewing of Oliver Stone's The Doors opened my ears to classic rock...what can I say....the progression of watching those great films has been an enjoyable ride.

If I could only go back and rewatch those 70's classics for the first time again. Taxi Driver, Cuckoo's Nest, Lenny, Apocalypse Now, Annie Hall, ...you name 'em. Great stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 8:08:57 PM PDT
Great post, MarcTheKing.

"The Shining" had to be a revelation to many. It was different from horror film in general, almost like its own flavor. The pace, the mood, the setting, the long takes, the low SteadiCam shots following Danny in his Bigwheel. And the way Kubrick builds up an unsettling sense of dread simply with dialogue and long pauses. Consider in the rest room when Jack chats with Delbert Grady. This sequence is great; it's almost hypnotic.

The movie remains one of the most fascinating horror films, and actually one of the better-made films in general. Like "The Exorcist" and "Jaws", it's more than scary, it's superior filmmaking. While most scary flicks go for jolts and crude 'pop-up' scares, Kubrick's take on King's story slowly and methodically gets under your skin and fills you with a frosty apprehension.

PS: Ever watch Stephen King's 1997 tv miniseries "The Shining", with Steven Weber and Rebecca DeMornay? More faithful to the novel, but I prefer the 1980 movie, hands down.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 8:27:30 PM PDT
F. Bluhm says:
Stephen: there's another side to Stone that I think is interesting. Most people know his dad made money on Wall Street, and that he wasn't exactly poor while growing up. Yet, when the war broke out in Vietnam, he decided to go to join the Army, eventually serving a tour over there. As a result, he was able adapt his experiences there into his script for "Platoon." Anyway, I've always respected him for going over there. And you're right: he does take stands and chances that other might not, and that gets him in trouble sometimes. So be it. He's never been the easiest director to work with, but I've always liked his results.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:58:38 PM PST
A Beautiful Bump

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:55:27 PM PST
This might not be your typical choice, but the movie that hooked me was, 'The Matrix'. Everything about it gripped me and showed me just how big, and how bold films can be. The script, the cinematography, the acting, and the innovative feature called 'Bullet Time' made this film, to me, a breathtaking piece of art.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:36:49 AM PST
Snow White and The Seven Dwarves. I was five years old and my first time at the cinema. I was just mesmerised with everything. The way the huge curtains slowly drew back, lots of adverts and then the curtains closed again. Then a minute or so pause, and the curtains slowly drew back again for the film.

I didn't enjoy falling into the tip up seats :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 2:14:49 AM PST
M. Gaudet says:
Return of the Jedi. First movie i saw where i actually felt like i lived in the world shown on screen.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions