Customer Discussions > Movie forum

What the Holy F--- Overpriced on Video...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 10:24:38 PM PST
J. Baker says:
What the Holy Film Classics is going on here --

!?! *- 'Isn't Life Wonderful' [VHS] -* ?!?

One can now purchase some of D. W. Griffith's greatest films on brand new Blu-ray editions for under $20 apiece - 'Abraham Lincoln', 'The Birth of a Nation', 'Way Down East'....
And here's some raggedy used VHS copy that this dipstick wants $48,760.12 fo?! Lunacy!!!

Before this, I was outraged seeing copies of Jane Campion's 'Portrait of a Lady' being hawked at $260+ per DVD. Prices have been leveled, finally, by a recent re-release. Same goes for other titles like 'Last Days of Disco', 'Homicide', etc., recently put out in Criterion, which used to go in the hundreds.

In all likelihood, 'Isn't Life Wonderful' will receive a DVD-r treatment, if not Blu-ray release, soon.

I've never seen rare VHS go in the thousands of dollars, let alone the tens-of-thousands! I could get a pristine 35mm copy for that price. Why on earth would anyone pay $100 for that when they could record a DVD from TCM?

So I guess the topic of this thread is: name some of the most outrageous examples you've seen of video seller's trying to gouge the customer with exorbitant prices?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:27:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 11:27:58 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Surely the seller is taking the piss.

A quick google search reveals the film available as a torrent...for free. I clicked on the page, and not only are they offering the torrent, they seem to be selling authentic Chinese brides!

That dude can stuff his $48,760.12 in his pants.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 12:05:13 AM PST
J. Baker says:
Right, so I could probably buy the last house D. W. Griffith lived in, a Chinese bride, and a brand new robot to help me download the torrent of 'Isn't Life Wonderful', for less than this guy's asking for the VHS.

What's the most you ever paid for a video, T. - afraid to say?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 12:26:03 AM PST
Oz le Fou says:
For a video? Maybe 25 bucks. Considering my age, and earnings, outlaying $25 was no joke.

I kind of got lucky, in my timing. I didn't buy a VHS player until the end of their days, so most of my VHS purchases were 'DVD Take-Over Sale' items. Then, when I finally bought a DVD player, the prices of DVD's had dropped considerably from their opening prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 12:33:05 AM PST
J. Baker says:
That's about what I paid at my most reckless. I bet my $25 VHS was less of a bargain than yours, because mine was only 20 minutes or so in length: Laurel & Hardy in 'Two Tars'.
This was in the good old bad old days of Tower Records when Laserdiscs were just coming out and I was just discovering older comedy... at a premium. Naw, couldn't afford that now if I wanted a singe short on VHS. Now you could get all the W. C. Fields shorts on one Criterion disc for half that cost.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:48:41 PM PST
L. S. Lamb says:
I really get steamed at those who post ridiculous prices on vhs . There is a vhs copy of Ms Scrooge for $211.90 .puleese like anyone is going to pay that. I can get collectors editions for a 1/4 of that of classic movies .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 4:14:22 AM PST
Balok says:
@L. S. Lamb:

> There is a vhs copy of Ms Scrooge for $211.90 .puleese like anyone is going to pay that.

I'm still looking for a decent DVD issue of the films of Juzo Itami with English subtitles (there's a guy who occasionally offers a set for sale on eBay, but never at a time when I'm going to be in the U.S. to accept delivery). I don't know what the current situation, but there was a time when someone was offering a copy of _Tampopo_ for $300. I assumed that he was selling a gold-plated, jewel-encrusted version.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 7:50:23 PM PST
I am still waiting for Hell On Frisco Bay on DVD,available on VHS for an outrageous price but probably the guy is making copies for all I know.
I watched Picture of Dorian Gray with G. Sanders and others on DVD,that was from 1945 and the one I want was in the 50s,go figure.
I have the Thin Man box set on DVD,very reasonable price from Amazon.
Looking for a Diana Rigg movie Mother,Amazon says they will notify me when available,wonder what that price will be?

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:49:48 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that these ridiculous prices are posted by sellers because, at the moment, they don't have a copy, but they don't want to take down the offer. Apparently, the hope or thinking is that more will become available, at which time the price will drop to something reasonable. It made sense to me, certainly more so than those bizarre prices. I remember seeing some insane prices for laserdiscs around the time the format was being discontinued. Even an LD fan like myself wouldn't pay those prices, let alone for a VHS, even if the title in question isn't otherwise available.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 12:12:44 PM PST
D. Larson says:
Think back a couple weeks, when Hostess announced they were out of business, and chuckleheads were running around buying cases of Twinkies and HoHos, and trying to flog them off at a hundred bucks for ten, of a thousand dollars a case.

If there really were chumps willing to pay those prices for the Last Twinkie Ever, they'll be in for a disappointment when Hostess's new Chinese owner starts the production line up again, and those creme-filled sponge lozenges are back in the 7-11's at a special re-introductory price.

But, if you overprice something of little value at a ridiculous figure, there's always the chance you'll run into someone with more money than good sense.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions