Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Agree Or Disagree

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 451-475 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 3:40:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2015 1:54:06 AM PST
Disagree. It will get those nominations.

See what I did there?

Nah, in truth, I don't care. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Whatever.

Statement: One day a film will be made about the making of 'What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 8:09:38 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Agree. And I wish to all the cine-gods on high that Walter Hill was making THAT instead of another version of the book. He's still the coolest director in Hollywood, this side of Clint.

Statement: The thought of David Gordon Green remaking 'Suspiria' chills my blood more than anything in the Argento movie 'Suspiria'.
For those who don't believe that's really real, here 'tis:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/isabelle-huppert-janet-mcteer-michael-nyqvist-and-antje-traue-join-david-gordon-greens-suspiria-remake-20120516

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 10:11:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2015 1:54:52 AM PST
I agree that it chills your blood. Myself, I'm not so perturbed. It's like I'm becoming numb to remakes. My rage-tank is running on empty.

One thing the news will make me do, though, is dust of my copy of Argento's original, and give it another viewing.

Statement: The film chronicling the events during the making of 'What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?' should be called 'What Ever Happened During the Filming of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 10:33:47 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Disagree. It's "What Ever" not "Whatever". Whichever, I don't mind what the title is as long as it stars Stockard Channing and Diane Lane. They don't look like Bette or Joan, something just tells me they could pull it off.
Alternate title: 'Who Shot What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?'

Statement: I'm one of the 0.000047% of the population who thinks 'Exorcist II: The Heretic' is the best one of the series. And not only that: the best English-language fantasy-horror movie of that era and since. That completed statement must put me in about the 0.000000000016 percentile of the moviegoing population.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 11:08:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 11:08:12 PM PST
I agree. You are absolutely, unequivocally....abnormal. I quite like it [the movie], though.

Statement: Watching 4 Melville films back-to-back increases ones urge to rob a bank, wear a suit, and hang out in a downstairs bar populated by like-minded folk and dancing girls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:03:17 AM PST
Jonathan says:
Agree. Not only that, it increases ones desire to have more black and white days. They should make sunglasses that allow you to see only in monochrome.

Statement: Lino Ventura over Humphrey Bogart.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:12:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 12:25:32 AM PST
Ha! I like it. Insta-Cool.

Can't agree or disagree...yet. He certainly rocked in 'Le Deuxieme Souffle' (as did the film). My first experience of Bogie was 'The Treasure of Sierra Madre', and I won't mince words: I fell in love. Truly, madly, deeply man-crushed. Over Ventura, I haven't headed over dem heels, but it may happen.

Melville really led the charge in terms of anti-heroes, huh. I'm developing a major stylistic jones for his work.

Statement: Top 10's are old hat. Top 11's are where it's at!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:42:44 AM PST
Jonathan says:
Agree. If we've learned nothing else from Spinal Tap (and we haven't) -- 11 is the magic number.

Statement: Walter Huston...Elias Koteas...Bruce Greenwood...John Qualen...Kate Reid...Raymond Burr...Graham Greene...John Vernon...Catherine O'Hara...Maury Chaykin...Meg Tilly...Christopher Plummer...Adam Beach... etc.; it's official: Canada rocks the house in surreptitiously brilliant character actors.
And that's not even counting John Candy & Martin Short, Glenn Ford & Raymond Massey, Jim Carrey & Eugene Levy, Jay Barucheln & Michael Cera, Mary Pickford & Marie Dressler, Phil Hartman & Rick Moranis, Sarah Polley & William Shatner, so many others.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:36:07 AM PST
El Emmarino says:
Agreed... Although, I wouldn't count Jim Carrey & Eugene Levy.

Statement: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation > A Christmas Story

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 12:27:17 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Disagree. Much as I liked Christmas Vacation, Christmas Story is a much better movie.

Statement: Good Christmas movies nowadays have become scarce, with Arthur Christmas in particular being the best Christmas film in years.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 7:55:32 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Disagree. The last good Christmas movie was 'La Bûche', 1999.

Statement: Foreign movie distribution in this Country (U.S.A.) stinks to high heaven.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:57:33 PM PST
Agreed.

Statement: 'As Time Goes By' is the best song in the history of the movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 10:07:40 PM PST
Balok says:
@Pastor of Muppets:

> Statement: 'As Time Goes By' is the best song in the history of the movies.

Disagree (it's a song that happens to have been quoted in a movie). I'm not sure what the "best" song in the history of the movies is, or if there even can be such a thing, but "Manha de Carnaval" from _Black Orpheus_ comes immediately to mind as an example of one that's better. For that matter, I might even be tempted to list "Kol Hakavod" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9264Eek_Sqk) as "better" than "As Time Goes by," but that's probably only because I'm a fan of Yehoram Gaon. (Totally off the subject, but my favorite song of his, FWIW, is "Hamichtav" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEWWkQNO3bY).

Statement: Gerard Depardieu's recent complaint about the unfairness of France's income tax (http://tinyurl.com/bmwsxgm) is not likely to garner him as much sympathy as he expects.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:08:54 AM PST
Jonathan says:
RE: >"Gerard Depardieu's recent complaint about the unfairness of France's income tax (http://tinyurl.com/bmwsxgm) is not likely to garner him as much sympathy as he expects."<

Agree. The world has had enough of whiny rich actors.

Statement: I'm no less than half-convinced still that Clint Eastwood's chair/Obama routine at the GOP convention was Situationist prank designed to sabotage the Romney campaign.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:40:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 1:41:20 AM PST
I would agree, if Romney needed help in that regard, but calling 47 percent of your potential voters dole bludgers is called self-sabotage. Besides, Mother Nature was the real saboteur of Romney's campaign.

Statement: It will be fascinating to see Bill Murray play FDR.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:44:04 AM PST
Agreed.

Statement (and some of you will want my head for this): When You Wish Upon a Star > Somewhere Over the Rainbow

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:41:08 AM PST
Balok says:
@PoM:

> When You Wish Upon a Star > Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Disagree extremely (but see http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7408254).

Statement: the use of "When You Wish upon a Star" in _Close Encounters of the Third Kind_ is way over the top in the mawkishness department, even for Spielberg.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:47:13 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Disagree. I didn't mind the inclusion, and Spielberg has made scenes in other movies that are even more mawkish than the inclusion of such song; the whole Blue Fairy plot in A.I.--just to make a direct comparison to another of Spielberg's films that draws from said film--is one of them.

Statement: One ought to have the right to keep as much of their own wealth in this country as they want, without having anyone or anything taking it for ''redistribution'' purposes--a morally corrupt philosophy and an unconstitutional action--especially in regards to those who actually earned said wealth. I say leave the 1% alone, only taking any real action if their accumulation of wealth can be deemed illegal (scandals do exist).

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 1:49:02 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Agreed, if only to put the political discussions to rest and get back to movies.

Statement (and this time, I'm making a statement about movies): When The Hobbit trilogy is finished, people will start drawing comparisons to the Rankin/Bass Hobbit film of 1977 (and will likely be deemed a superior film overall).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:50:51 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Baker: The statement was that Arthur Christmas was the best Christmas film in years, and that otherwise, good Christmas films were scarce. I never said it was the last good Christmas movie--which in of itself, was a completely different comment.

And my Hobbit comment still stands.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:32:38 PM PST
Balok says:
@Gordo:

> When The Hobbit trilogy is finished, people will start drawing comparisons to the Rankin/Bass Hobbit
> film of 1977 (and will likely be deemed a superior film overall).

Disagree, because I for one started making the comparison before Jackson's film was released, and predicted that Jackson's film trilogy would be neither as good nor as close to the book as the animated version was.

Statement: Even though plot of _The Hunger_ makes no sense (and it steals inter alia the use of the Schubert Trio No. 2 from Kubrick), even without the hot lesbonic vampire-on-Sarandon action and without Susan Sarandon's breasts, we would forgive it because Catherine Deneuve is the most beautiful woman ever to walk the face of the planet. And by "the planet," I mean any planet, not just Earth.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:17:46 PM PST
Well, here on Mars we don't think Deneuve is all that special. Not to begrudge any their tastes, but Mars recently polled all resident martians, and Ingrid Thulin won top spot. Before you shoot, just remember, I am but a mere messenger.

Statement: Very few actresses are able to play "detached cool" the way Monica Vitti did.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:04:53 AM PST
Jonathan says:
Re: Ingrid Thulin

Interesting. I've had her on my desktop for awhile here on Earth, earlier this month. One of the scenes from 'The Silence'.
Thulin's recently been replaced by Monica Vitti in 'The Eclipse'. For Bergman broads, Thulin may be the best actress, but you know I'm all about Harriet Anderson in the beauty department. Mad respect to Thulin, though.

All of the above is absolutely true, I swear by the movie gods Antonioni, Bergman, all the way to Zurlini. And I wrote it before I even spied what your statement would be. Freaky.

Agree with the Vitti comment, naturally.

Statement: The actress Ari Graynor is a perfect melding of Vitti's detached cool beauty and the zany brashness of Bette Midler.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:24:34 AM PST
Freaky, for sure. There is a quote about great minds that is apt.

Agree. If someone told me that Ari had been created in a lab by combining the DNA of Vitti and Midler, I would pause for thought, then say, "Well that explains it."

Statement: The stock-market scenes in 'The Eclipse' literally increase the heart rate of the viewer. Add Vitti's sauntering through the shot, and it's a wonder the film hasn't caused more deaths by heart-attack.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:46:26 AM PST
Jonathan says:
Yes. Agree, agree, agree.

Statement: Truffaut was right that Resnais's films are sexy (not counting 'Night and Fog', of course, which is something else altogether, and what Truffaut called the greatest ever made). And his films are many things other than sexy, yet it's worth pointing out - they make good smart date movies.
Curiously, Resnais was one of the only New Wave directors of the '50s-60s who wasn't either sleeping with half his leading actresses, or married to a star. Theory: having a sexy style has little to do with promiscuity. Just look at 'Vertigo' -- the 360-degree green dress scene is often cited as one of the sexiest in movie history, and Hitchcock was practically a eunuch at that point.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions