Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The top ten anything thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 2:20:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 2:21:21 PM PDT
Other movie planets worth a visit?

Corusant, to be sure.
The Krell homeworld, and I want the full tour of the labs.
Metaluna, before it was bombarded.
The Venus of Queen of Outer Space.
Wherever the builders of the monoliths in 2001 came from.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 3:47:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 4:02:22 PM PDT
Carma Chan says:
Lucy... Office Space:)

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 3:48:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 4:02:05 PM PDT
Carma Chan says:
(William... The titles were listed in a melodramas list I found online.)

Posted on May 17, 2012 3:53:55 PM PDT
Carma Chan says:
Top 10 favorite things growing in my yard

Giant Sunflowers
Crawling with Morning Glory
Peaches
Tangelos
Orange Blossoms
Pomegranates
Grapes
Snow Peas
Watermelon
Chocolate Mint (yes, there is a plant that tastes and smells exactly like chocolate mint, and I chop it fresh into my coffee grounds)

Posted on May 17, 2012 4:01:47 PM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
I don't really consider Office Space a cult movie. I had no idea that other people do.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:03:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 4:04:11 PM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
No way, no how, no Hoth. I've seen more snow than I care to in my years here in Michigan; even though this past winter was almost snowless for us. It was actually the best winter that I can remember ever having lived here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:03:19 PM PDT
Carma Chan says:
I've heard Office Space talked about as a cult movie because it was a sleeper that has since caught on and become a part of the pop culture. My son and I could watch it a thousand times. We almost have!

Posted on May 17, 2012 4:05:10 PM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
I remember I saw Office Space in the theatre back when I wasn't actually old enough to see R-rated films. And it was -just- before the ID crackdown.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:08:09 PM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
All I have are weeds growing in my yard. No, not really. Actually we have been getting some planting done lately with flowers here and there, and our little vegetable garden started.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:08:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 4:09:03 PM PDT
Carma Chan says:
Narnia
Middle Earth (The Shire)
Corusant, absolutely the best and most interesting home world for my personal preferences!
I would only want to visit lush worlds, like that one, and Pandora, and my own inventions - Saardu (in the Eagle nebula, half forest, half desert, and all the animals are telepaths--even the bugs! but the people are less evolved and can't hear the telepaths), Zenya (11th dimension), and Kolob (a flat world in the 2nd dimension).
Vulcan, for sure, though they are a bunch of stiffies. Oh wait, that could be a good thing.

Posted on May 17, 2012 4:08:57 PM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
Ten movies I just added to my wish list:

Performance (Haven't seen this, but I need to.)
Rock n Roll High School
Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill (Not so hard to find anymore, but thirty bucks?!)
Party Monster
Velvet Goldmine
Tootsie
9 to 5
Mommie Dearest (Another I haven't seen but need to.)
Valley of the Dolls (See Performance and Mommie Dearest)
Forbidden Zone

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:13:35 PM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
9 to 5 is one of the funniest movies that I ever saw. I originally saw it on a double feature back in the year that it was first released. I was going to skip it because I thought it would be boring but I stayed to give it a chance and it actually was a lot better than the main feature movie was, which I have totally forgotten the name of by now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:37:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 4:40:36 PM PDT
Carma Chan says:
William, re Warhol

I can understand his place in pop art culture, I simply would have him at the bottom of my list in terms of people I'd want to hang out with, and I would never buy anything I've seen of his.

If I wanted to surround myself with creative people whose minds intrigue me, it would most certainly include Salvador Dali. I have two prints of his work hanging in my home. But of all painters ever, I would have Vincent van Gogh at the head of the table and I would be in his lap!

Don't speak to me of the ear. People think of that too easily and only know of Starry Night. He was a far more interesting fellow than I had realized when I was in that mindstream.

I am not fond of most of Picasso's works, but that is only a personal thing, the visual juxtaposition bothers me. I do find him innovative and fascinating.

1 - Vincent van Gogh
2 - Salvador Dali
3 - Mary Shelley - I've never read Frankenstein, but she created a magnificent story and I'm sure I would love her.
4 - Mark Twain - love how he handled politics and racism, and such a way with words!
5 - Joni Mitchell - wow, wow, wow - she plays many instruments well (self taught), a very good painter and interesting artist, a phenomenal vocalist and lyricist, vastly under appreciated in our times because she wouldn't bow to radio commerciality
6 - Jimi Hendrix - "when the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
7 - Einstein - "imagination is more important than knowledge" and "it is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" and "never lose a holy curiosity"
8 - Keiko Matsui - a contemporary Japanese jazz composer, saw her in concert 1990
9 - Helen Keller - "security is a superstition...life is either a daring adventure, or nothing"
10 - Charles Schulz, creator of Peanuts, the most beloved, long-lasting cartoon of all time, I would say

(That'd be my first dream dinner guest list.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:42:37 PM PDT
Carma Chan says:
9 to 5 is very funny. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I'll tell you what -- I have a lot of scenes strong in my memory and I smile every time I think of that movie. Lots of fun to watch!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:46:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 4:47:24 PM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
It really is a great movie. Just talking about it is making me want to see it again. I've seen it a few times over the years when it's been shown on TV. And to think that I originally almost passed up on seeing it because I thought it was going to be a boring chick flick.

Posted on May 18, 2012 8:16:09 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
Ten most white trash movies

Raising Arizona
Joe Dirt
Con Air
The Waterboy
Ghostrider
The Crazies (remake)
The Hills have Eyes (remake)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Any movie with Dax Shepard in it

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:16:56 AM PDT
Carma: Never rely on anything online without multiple sources, or, better yet, personal experience.

Posted on May 18, 2012 8:17:13 AM PDT
El Emmarino says:
Top ten useless facts taking up space in my brain:

1) 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
2) "Skepticisms" is the longest word that alternates hands when typing.
3) "Typewriter" is the longest word made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
4) A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
5) The electric chair was invented by a dentist
6) The opposite sides of a dice cube always add up to seven.
7) Non-dairy creamer is flammable.
8) Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a 'Friday the 13th'.
9) George & Katherine Papadopoulos (Webster TV Show) were married in real life.
10) Richard Dawson is not actually dead, yet.

Posted on May 18, 2012 8:18:04 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
Lucky pigs...

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:20:52 AM PDT
SL: Mommie Dearest is essential. Essential. Without seeing it, you will never understand the context of such pop culture staples as:

"Christina--bring me the ax!"
"NO---MORE--WIRE--HANGERS---EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"Because I'm not one of your FANS!"
"Figure it out."
"I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at the dirt."

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:23:46 AM PDT
Carma Chan says:
Ok, William. I was actually going to title my list "chick flix" and then came upon that "melodramas" list and decided to frame it that way, because the "chick flix" stereotype alienates me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:24:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 8:38:11 AM PDT
Carma Chan says:
Hilarious. Alice, that's going viral.

Posted a public screenshot at Facebook.com/instantcarma

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:27:38 AM PDT
Carma Chan says:
After seeing Mommie Dearest, it changed the way I felt about what Baby Jane did to her sister. I hope the writer of that story knew what was going on in that home and wrote it just for her!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:30:44 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
I know enough about wire hangers and child abuse without seeing Mommie Dearest. It's one of those things so ingrained in our pop culture that the references are just sort of common knowledge. It's like knowing Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Will still try to see it, though. Promise.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:41:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 8:42:26 AM PDT
Carma Chan says:
I was whipped with a wire hanger by my first husband. On the top of my bare feet as I cowered in a corner naked. Seriously. Ouch. Whew, glad he didn't turn the gun on me! I wouldn't have gotten to go skydiving for my 25th birthday!

That's what wire hangers always triggers in my mind. The night I almost died at the hands of a really messed up Vietnam combat veteran.

Where's ALICE!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  99
Total posts:  4729
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions