Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Learn more
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Best Films of 2012: The Game

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 148 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 1, 2012 3:12:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 3:49:18 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
I will take a page from the Actors Game thread and make a new game thread celebrating the best films of 2012 with the general rules over there carrying over here. I will, however, make a few tweaks to said rules so that we can include more films. They are the following:

1. As usual, all films start at 10 points. You are permitted 2 upvotes and 2 downvotes per day (the daily schedule will follow Rocky Mountain Standard Time); you can choose to up or downvote 2 different films one point each or one film 2 points.

2. If a film hits 0 points, it's out of the game and will enter the worst of the year list. If they hit 20 points, then they are moved into the best of list. The game will end once the The Academy Award for Best Picture is awarded.

3. The starting number will be 6 films, and will consist of films that are good, bad, mediocre, or otherwise have polarizing receptions from both sides. The next player to vote can replace a film with 0 or 20 points with a film of their own choosing.

4. Eligible selections would either have to be given wide theatrical releases in the United States, or have debuted in another country within the fiscal year. Festival Selections are prohibited if they do not follow the above criteria, and theatrical reissues like Titanic and Finding Nemo are prohibited.

5. The selections in general are to be alphabetized, numerals first. Titles starting with 'the' do not count, and the first letter of the next word is to be considered instead.

So with that said, here's my starting contenders of films:

The Avengers - 10
The Dark Knight Rises - 10
The Hunger Games - 10
Moonrise Kingdom - 10
Prometheus - 10
That's My Boy - 10

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:13:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 3:48:58 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
I'll start:

The Avengers - 12
The Dark Knight Rises - 10
The Hunger Games - 8
Moonrise Kingdom - 10
Prometheus - 10
That's My Boy - 10

+2 The Avengers
-2 The Hunger Games

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:19:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 1, 2012 3:38:22 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:49:42 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Baker: Very well. Changed the rules and reduced the number of nominees.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 5:11:58 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
...alright, I'm going to give this a chance.
It hasn't been a big movie year for me in any way, so a lot of the nominees will be ones I haven't seen or have no intention of seeing in time so I could vote properly on them. . . .

The Avengers - 12
The Dark Knight Rises - 9
The Hunger Games - 8
Moonrise Kingdom - 12
Prometheus - 9
That's My Boy - 10

`
One of my worries is that I may be faced with voting down things that aren't the worst, simply because they'd at least be ones I've seen, or abstaining from downvoting in some cases, which wouldn't help move along the progress of the game. I anticipate this to be the most popularity-driven of games.

+2 'Moonrise Kingdom'...lucky me, I saw it this morning (about time!).... Not Wes's best, but very close, and much better than anything else out now.
-1 Dark Prometheus Rises

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 8:50:51 PM PDT
Gordo's back?
If you ask me, none of these movies are very good.

After JB

The Avengers - 12
The Dark Knight Rises - 7
The Hunger Games - 8
Moonrise Kingdom - 12
Prometheus - 11
That's My Boy - 10

Prom+2
Bat-2

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 9:07:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 9:25:57 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
I vaguely remember the posters for 'That's My Boy'. I thought it was one of last year's Sandman productions. Same s---, different year with Sandler. That's one opus I wouldn't feel very guilty downvoting before I've seen it.

Holy Schnitzelgruber!... look at this flunkin' skit:

"by Armond White on Jun 20, 2012 *
That's My Boy Exposes a Conspiracy ...

"His spoofing of political correctness and middle-brow propriety is the real reason behind all the haterade which became ridiculous after last year`s ingenious, heartfelt Jack and Jill provoked an endless backlash of unprecedented lunacy and vitriol...

"Sandler looks at class embarrassment, a concept our cultural elite disdains but that his films trace to social and family relations (i.e.. personal responsibility). . .

"The ambivalence proves Sandler's balanced comic judgment as much as the film's sloppiness, but Memo'd critics have ignored this complication. They resist experiencing their own ambivalence. . . ."

And it goes on and on like that.
In the words of Heinz, the Baron Krauss von Espy: "...that silly man!"

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 9:18:24 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
The funny thing to is that even though TDKR is just barely holding on to number 10 on my 10 best films of 2012, I wouldn't be too heartbroken if it were eliminated. Actually, in this particular list, the only film I truly care for is The Avengers (and yes, I do genuinely believe that, based on the trailers and some of the details I've heard of the movie, Moonrise Kingdom is crap; even worse than the generally dry humor that tends to turn me off Wes Anderson).

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 9:36:14 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
If on hates 'The Life Aquatic', they probably won't like 'Moonrise Kingdom'. If one liked 'Darjeeling Limited', they'll probably really enjoy 'Moonrise'.
It's always a good idea to see a movie before deciding one despises it, whether Sandler, Anderson, whoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 10:02:20 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Baker: Life Aquatic and Darjeeling Limited were both equally meh and forgettable in my book. And one could learn a whole lot about a film when one pays enough attention to the right reviews and sees the trailers (that, and the actor/filmmaker's previous works).

And regarding Sandler, I will admit that he's done a few watchable films (heck, Punch-Drunk Love is a near-great film, which is saying a lot given the competition in quality 2002 produced), but That's My Boy is a loathesome picture from the premise up (apparently, society's degraded to such an extent that pedophilia is now considered hilarious).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 11:09:13 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
After Priestess:

The Avengers - 14
The Dark Knight Rises - 7
The Hunger Games - 6
Moonrise Kingdom - 12
Prometheus - 11
That's My Boy - 10

+2 The Avengers
-2 The Hunger Games

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 12:07:25 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
After The Host,

The Avengers - 14
The Dark Knight Rises - 5
The Hunger Games - 6
Moonrise Kingdom - 14
Prometheus - 11
That's My Boy - 10

+2 M. K.
-2 D. K. R.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 7:20:56 AM PDT
"It's always a good idea to see a movie before deciding one despises it, whether Sandler, Anderson, whoever."

That would be the sensible thing to do, yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 10:34:24 AM PDT
You voted against Prometheus, Baker. Why are you breaking your rule of voting against movies you have never seen?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 10:35:33 AM PDT
Life Aquatic and Darjeeling Limited were both equally meh and forgettable in my book too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 10:41:06 AM PDT
post Baked

The Avengers - 14
The Dark Knight Rises - 5
The Hunger Games - 6
Moonrise Kingdom - 12
Prometheus - 13
That's My Boy - 10

Prometheus +2
Jiminy Cricket -2

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 11:40:19 AM PDT
After SA

The Avengers - 14
The Dark Knight Rises - 3
The Hunger Games - 6
Moonrise Kingdom - 12
Prometheus - 15
That's My Boy - 10

Prom +2
Bat -2

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 2:04:41 PM PDT
What do you mean SA?

Here is J Baker on June 2, before the movie came out.

"Scott is a hack desperately reaching for some old glory he had in the past.
Might as well make 'Gladiator 2, in 3-D'. He's a joke, like his brother. Maybe they can team up for 'Top Guns 2: Needier for Speed'? Or 'Top Guns Meet G. I. Jane'?"

That sounds like something our Baker wanted to go to the theater and see

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 2:05:41 PM PDT
After SA

The Avengers - 14
The Dark Knight Rises - 3
The Hunger Games - 6
Moonrise Kingdom - 10
Prometheus - 17
That's My Boy - 10

Prometheus +2
Moonrise -2

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 2:33:33 PM PDT
After Couple:

The Avengers - 14
The Dark Knight Rises - 1
The Hunger Games - 6
Moonrise Kingdom - 12
Prometheus - 17
That's My Boy - 10

+2 Moonrise
-2 TDKR

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 5:53:03 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
>Spiritual Architect says:
"You voted against Prometheus, Baker. Why are you breaking your rule of voting against movies you have never seen?"<

Because I have seen it. I also saw the latest Nolan and the latest von Trier, in spite of the reality that I was 99% sure I would not like them. It so happens that it was playing at a bargain theater down here on double bill with something I *did* wish to see, and I partook in it. 'Prometheus' stinks. Do you want a full review?
It's not a "rule" anyway, I already said I'd be willing to bend my habits to downvote Sandler's latest; it's certainly not a rule with you guys! At least I've seen most of what Sandler has been up to lately. When you guys were downvoting George Delerue off the Music Score game, you were all coming from ZERO experience of listing to Delerue's work. When I saw Cali Coup give a very positive notice to 'The Day of the Dolphin', I asked how he liked the music in it, one of the great Georges Delerue scores. He replied that he didn't notice any music in it.

`Why do I see things I know I will in all likelihood detest?`... I can hear someone from the peanut gallery ask... answer: because I like to know what I am criticizing in the downfall of popular entertainment when I write about it, specifically the downfall of anything resembling good, honest entertainment in big budget action spectacles today.
Also, I like to see the worst occasionally to remind myself how much I respect good movies. Compare and contrast. I don't limit my experiences only to what I think will be acceptable to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 5:57:44 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Spiritual Architect says: "Jiminy Cricket -2 [Moonrise Kingdom]"<

So am I to guess that neither you nor California Couple have seen 'Moonrise Kingdom', and are enabling yourselves to vote it down based on the erroneous assumption that I haven't seen your precious 'Prometheus'?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 12:01:09 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
After the only other poster here who's seen 'Moonrise Kingdom',

The Avengers - 14
The Dark Knight Rises - 0 -- next player chooses a different 2012 movie.
The Hunger Games - 6
Moonrise Kingdom - 14
Prometheus - 16
That's My Boy - 10

- Chris Nolan
++ Wes Anderson
- Tony Scott's brother.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2012 12:07:51 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
After Baker:

The Avengers - 16
Hope Springs - 10
The Hunger Games - 6
Moonrise Kingdom - 14
Prometheus - 14
That's My Boy - 10

+2 The Avengers
-2 Prometheus

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 12:08:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012 1:06:12 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
2012 Hall of Fame:

The Amazing Spider-Man
The Avengers
Prometheus
Moonrise Kingdom

2012 Hall of Shame:

The Dark Knight Rises
The Hunger Games
That's My Boy

Will update this comment with new additions from here on out.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions