Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 1:12:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 1:15:41 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Did you ever see The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters? Really good documentary about champs of the Donkey Kong arcade video game. I watched this and recognized the location of the championship as a warehouse by which I had passed at least 1000 times while living in S. Florida. Strange, interesting, subculture, a part of which was right under my nose and I never knew it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 1:22:55 PM PDT
bella7 says:
Zolar,

I've seen it and found it VERY entertaining.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 1:43:05 PM PDT
El Emmarino says:
Looks interesting. I'll be sure to add it to the list. Thanks for the recommendation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:32:35 PM PDT
Hmmmm, Bella7! That name is familiar.
;)

Thomas McCarthy, the director of 'The Visitor', hasn't put a step wrong yet. Excellent director/story-teller.

I was reading an interview with him the other day in "Empire" magazine, and he was saying that he is a "faceless" director, in that people know of his films but would never put his face to the name of the director. However, not a day goes by that people don't stop him in the streets and say stuff like "You are a very bad man, yes you are!". So three great movies in the bank [as director] yet no face recognition, but one role as a crooked journalist in the final season of 'The Wire', and he gets criticized on the streets Everyday!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:35:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 6:42:22 PM PDT
@VHS addiction
I've taken to sleeping with my collection. I pet them; sing to them; keep them clean. Over all these years, I've changed, the world's changed, but my love has stayed the same.
;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:41:54 PM PDT
"....revolves around the 1982 Video Game...."

One of my most vivid memories of 1982 is being the first kid (so said the guy running the arcade) to play the brand new "Ms. Pac-Man" in the arcade at Fisherman's Wharf in San Fransisco!

Did you know that in it's original form, "Pac-Man" was called "Puck-Man". They changed the name for it's American release.....for obvious reasons. Dang Graffiti Vandals!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 6:50:50 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
The Rockies may crumble, Gibraltar may tumble , they're only made of clay! Hey, but, Sloany & Zolar's love for VHS is here to stay!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 7:05:38 AM PDT
bella7 says:
Hello my buddy from down under! ; )

Thanks for the Thomas McCarthy info, I did not know any of that.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 8:40:28 AM PDT
El Emmarino says:
Word Wars (2004)

Documentary featuring several Scrabble fanatics preparing for their annual high stakes competition. The players have intriguing abilities and odd personalities. Pace seemed a little slow for me. Overall not a bad film, but that certain je ne sais quoi was definitely missing.

5/10

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 8:17:25 PM PDT
Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ

Probably a film I'd put on my "10 movies to see before you die" list. An expertly crafted film. And for mine, Keitel steals the show. 10/10

Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire

Another contender for the '10 films....' list. Amazing photography. Acting with real depth (Bruno Ganz anyone?). A fascinating look into the minds of those that pass by us in the street everyday. Peter Falk playing Peter Falk! AND Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds! 9.7/10

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 6:28:33 AM PDT
Casablanca, dir. Michael Curtiz:

What more needs to be said about this movie other than it's perfect? Only a great fool wouldn't give it at least a 9/10. But I like it way more than that, so a 10/10 for me.

I'll have a full review on the other topic soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 4:13:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 4:14:30 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
>Pastor of Muppets says: "Casablanca, dir. Michael Curtiz: What more needs to be said about this movie other than it's perfect? Only a great fool wouldn't give it at least a 9/10."<

There have been critics less `foolish` than myself who would rank it even lower than I do. Personally, I put it at 4/10. One of the great overrated movies of the 1940s. Not half the movie 'To Have and Have Not' is, and not 1/4th the movie 'Arch of Triumph' is.

"Hollywood often uses its best players, writers and directors for its epic phonies.... Each studio has its preference .... Warner's is 'Casablanca.' The 'Casablanca' kind of hokum was good in its original context in other movies, but, lifted into Casablanca for the sake of its glitter and not incorporated into it, loses its meaning ... Bogart's humanitarian killer, who was disillusioned apparently at his mother's breast, has to say some silly things and play God too often to be as believably tough as he was in his last eight pictures." - Manny Farber, 1943, our Country's greatest film critic.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 4:31:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 4:32:50 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
'Friday' (1995)
'Next Friday' (2000)

A couplea masterpieces compared to the likes of: 'All about the Benjamins', 'The Players Club', 'Lottery Ticket', 'First Sunday', 'Barbershop 2: Back in Business', or 'Are We There Yet?'.

That' right, I managed to see all those stinkers before I saw all of the first 'Friday' movies. Where the hell have I been? Where's my priorities at? Well, as it turns out, I don't think I missed much.

The first 'Friday' had the most fun bits. I'd give that a 4/10.
I've never been a Chris Tucker fan, so one thing I liked better with the second one was seeing Mike Epps as "Day-Day."
The second one, I guess predictably, didn't hold as well for me. About half a point lower. Harmless fun, nothing to write home about.
So far, I liked Ice Cube best in 'Trespass', 'Boyz n the Hood', 'Three Kings', and nothing else since.

I could say more, but I've been treating this like a regular review thread so far! I should just rate and run.

4/10 & 3.5/10 -- gotta go now!

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:15:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 9:18:53 AM PDT
El Emmarino says:
Thor (2011)

Action/Fantasy revolving around... well, Thor. Honestly I had zero interest in watching this. But I heard it was an important prerequisite to The Avengers. Turns out it was surprisingly enjoyable. No major complaints in my book.

7/10 

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 8:28:37 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Very Short, Very Sweet. . .

'Cuba'

Long time favorite. Dicky Lester directs Sean 'Zardoz' Connery, Brooke 'Mrs. Tony Shalhoub' Adams, and Hector 'Cool as Ice' Elizondo.
Check out David Watkin's gleaming photography of pre-Castro Batista-era Havana. It's a symphony. And you can have it for a song here on Amazon.

9/10

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 9:27:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 9:34:46 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
The Medallion; pretty mindless Jackie Chan jokey-flic. Jackie dies in the process of helping a Chosen One, who then grants Jackie superhuman strength and speed and immortality by application of said Medallion. These are not spoilers...it's right on the DVD case. 88 minutes in length and they still could've cut 15 to 20 more minutes. The deleted scenes were all mercilessly...deleted, and good thing. HOWEVER, Jackie is one of my top 5 all time favorite actors with Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen, Bruce Campbell and Steve Martin. I try to see everything he's made from the earliest kung fu movies through to the remake of "The Karate Kid." I don't care what it is. With that said, you should check his recent Hong Kong movies like "The Myth," "The Shinjuku Incident," "Warlords" and "Little Big Soldier"...he is simply the best! [6/10 on this; humor usually comes a bit more naturally for Jackie than in this movie]

Sartana in the Valley of Death (Sartana nella valle degli avvoltoi) (Ballad of Death Valley) [NON-USA FORMAT, PAL, Reg.0 Import - Great Britain]; spaghetti western scripted and directed by Roberto Mauri; 79-minute film, half of which plays like an homage to that desert-wandering scene from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" when Clint's character drags himself across the desert at gunpoint. Some pretty bad dubbing here; some pretty huge plotholes; but my son and I got quite a few laughs out of watching this, so it was worth it. One I saw was a decent print, although washed out. [4.2/10]

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 1:43:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 5:24:42 AM PDT
Finally got around to seeing Noah Baumbach's The Squid And The Whale

A fairly interesting tale of the turbulent times surrounding divorce. Both Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney are very good (especially Daniels), Jesse Eisenberg good too (but playing the character we now know as Jesse Eisenberg), but the star of the show is young Owen Kline (son of Kevin), who's character doesn't react all that well to his parents divorce. I enjoyed the characters a lot in this, and the interplay between them all was very realistic, especially the whole taking sides aspect that so often happens during a split.

A well made dose of familial disruption that gets the mix just right. I'd been told it was depressing, and too dark, but it isn't at all. 7.9/10

Also....

John Sayles' Matewan

The usual Sayles smorgasbord of themes all pulled under one banner. Exceptional acting on display, equally exceptional photography, and a re-creation of the time that feels about as real as it gets. Mighty impressive. 9.5/10

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 1:58:27 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
'The Squid And The Whale' was kinda sloppy and overrated, but it deserves to be seen, so it's cool you got around to it. That's about the rating I'd give it too. And good of you to single out Owen Kline. I thought he was the highlight of the show too, and Jeff Daniels did a great job playing the egotistical Father of Legendary Brilliance in His Own Mind. Good stuff. And was it Danny Baldwin (do I have the right Baldwin?) who was pretty funny in it?

They captured New York 1986 really well on a low budget, looked like.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 3:13:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 3:13:34 AM PDT
I hadn't really heard a good word about it, so just kept skipping it. Glad I saw it though. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had heard.

And the representative from the Baldwin Race of Peoples, was Billy. He was good....brother. The only flaw there - and it's minor - was that Billy didn't convince me he had the tennis skills to be a club pro. I'd thrash the dude seven ways from Sunday!

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 10:42:32 AM PDT
Eva says:
Robin Hood. Prince of Thieves (1991) with Kevin Costner as Robin Hood

9/10 Awesome movie! One of the best I have seen. I have to say, the old movies tend to be the best. Not that a movie from 1991 is old, but its not new either.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 3:03:22 PM PDT
maiden pa. says:
wuthering heights.olivier and oberon.absolute 10.one of the best ever.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 3:53:08 PM PDT
I have just watched the last half hour of a brilliant Itv programme called Words Of Captain Scott. If you get a chance to, watch it please, you will be mesmerised and totally absorbed as I was. I'm recording it now so I can watch it in full tomorrow morning when I get up.

Rating 9 out of 10. Superb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2342437/

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 9:06:04 PM PDT
Severin says:
After watching the 2 William Wellman documentaries on the "Forbidden Hollywood Collection Vol. 3" last night I decided to re-watch "Nothing Sacred" (1937) tonight. It stars the late great Carole Lombard. It's a screwball comedy that's also a commentary on the media and how the public is lead around by the nose. While it's very funny with a lot of plot twists it's also poignant since the lead character pretends to be dying and Ms. Lombard died just a few years later. I then watched "To Be Or Not To Be" (1942) which also starred Lombard with Jack Benny. It's very plot driven and has its funny moments but lacks the depth and hilarity of "Nothing Sacred." "My Man Godfrey" is another classic Lombard movie worth checking out, it has William Powell co-starring.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 9:30:27 PM PDT
K. J. Hart says:
Just watched "Sands of the Kalahari" for the first time since the 1970's and it holds up very well. Stuart Whitman was very good. The only thing that bothered me was that a smart pilot, on seeing the locust swarm, would have made a 180-degree turn and avoided going through them, but then, there wouldn't be a movie. I also watched my new Criterion print of "The Friends of Eddie Coyle", and still can't understand why Robert Mitchum wasn't at least nominated for an Oscar.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 11:11:54 PM PDT
After watching Tom McCarthy's 'The Visitor', I decided to revisit his debut, The Station Agent.

This story of loss, and what can then be gained, is better the second time 'round. Such serious themes, yet lifted into genuine feel-good territory by such wonderful comedic moments. The triumvirate of Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson and Bobby Cannavale are the most unlikely team, yet it works on levels that are rare when talking about on screen chemistry. If anyone hasn't seen this yet, SEE IT, and for those that have seen it, watch it AGAIN! 9/10
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  201
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions