Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your Favorite Planet of the Apes entry is...?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2013 11:02:55 AM PST
My vote for favorite Planet Of The Apes (1968) entry (in terms of overall entertainment value and cultural impact) has to be the original 1968 movie.

Adapted from the French novel [translated: "Monkey Planet"], the Hollywood movie didn't follow the novel's fantasy form. While it's still thought of largely as an epic sci-fi adventure, the original was actually a cleverly-couched allegory and satire. It intelligently explored and lambasted everything from race relations to religion to the nuclear arms race. But the producers' higher aims didn't dilute the entertaiment value of the picture. In fact, the original's finale is still considered one of the best "surprise endings" in cinema history (inspite of the message-driven script).

In terms of Hollywood movie-making impact, though Star Trek (TOS) preceeded it, the original 'Apes' spawned the first multi-million-dollar film/TV franchise and a wild merchandising bonanza. Its success paved the way for iconic franchises like "Star Wars" and "Star Trek". Jerry Goldsmith's innovative music was nominated for an Oscar. And the apes' mesmerizing make-up was the touchstone for all future fantasy flicks--netting John Chambers a special Oscar. The Academy even added a whole new award for best make-up/special effects because of Chambers's accomplishments!

So, what's your favorite Planet of the Apes entry?

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 11:17:52 AM PST
the new one,ive been around from the first Planet of the Apes and i prefer the new one

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 9:48:27 AM PST
Zaplightning says:
The original 1968 Classic.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 9:56:31 AM PST
Definitely the original. I have to say now that the make-up for the original series was iconic. Hard to improve upon. I really had hopes for the Burton one, but man, that was such a disappointment, it pretty much put me off Burton to this day. And that travesty wasn't Marky Mark's fault either, it was a convoluted screenplay, that made no sense. Haven't seen the newest one, but hear it's pretty good.

Btw, the animated series really wasn't too bad either. Just bought it and watched it a while back. For all the restrictions they had by then, they managed to tell a pretty good story.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 10:31:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2013 10:32:48 AM PST
W.T. says:
The original is the best, by far.

But my favorite is "Escape from the Planet of the Apes" because for most of the movie, it's treated almost as a comedy as Cornelius and Zira explore the present. The "fish out of water" gag is often used, but never gets old. It cracks me up every time I see it. Even when the film tries to get more serious, it's still got a lighter feel.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 10:51:01 AM PST
The original of course.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 11:36:01 AM PST
The original because none of the sequels had any memorable lines like this:
" Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape "
Charlton Heston is the Man !

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 12:59:05 PM PST
KinksRock says:
The original. The sequels were stupid. Except the most recent prequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 1:25:13 PM PST
The most interesting thing about all the original Ape films was the way they looped back to the beginning. Though the first one is arguably the best, screenwriters were putting more thought into making the films feel like a continual throughline than many of the trilogies and sequels we're seeing today (even though audiences are supposed to be more sophisticated about such things). The films do follow a logical progression that doesn't feel like writers were just pulling stuff out of their arse to milk a franchise.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 1:57:25 PM PST
KinksRock says:
I did not like that the sequels to the original were not consistent with the history laid out in the first. In the first, the apes had no idea that humans could ever talk. By the third, Cornelius was telling a biblical story about how apes were enslaved until one ape could speak, and he said, "No."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 1:37:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2013 1:38:11 AM PST
M. Gaudet says:
the original for the fact that Jerry did the score.

Tim Burton remake with Marky Mark was so bad i almost thought it was a parody.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 8:56:25 AM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
I'd say probably the first one because that is the one that I remember the most. It's been awhile since I last watched a Planet of the Apes movie, with the exception of the prequel Rise, which I saw in theaters during it's run. All this POTA talk has made me go ahead and order the Planet of the Apes Legacy Collection [Blu-ray] . I can't wait to see them all again!

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 4:26:19 PM PST
Escape From The Planet Of The Apes is my favorite POTA sequel. The producers cleverly turned the original's plot around. You still have three fish-out-of-water who are plopped into an alien enviornment and not expected to survive. Only now, it's the apes who are the hunted (in the human-controlled 20th century).

Actually, "Escape" more closely resembles the storyline of the original novel (in style and structure) than almost any of the other POTA movies. In the novel, though surviving French astronaut/journalist Ulysse Merrou is at first captured and caged, when he shows his extreme intelligence the apes treat him like a celebrity. He is clothed, given a tour of the ape civilization--which is an almost mirror-image of then 20th century human civilization--and asked to address the Ape government. Only when he befriends, and has a baby with primative human Nova, do the apes become fearful. And when human fossils are discovered during a dig, the secret past of the planet leaks out. Then, the apes see Merrou as a threat to their hold on planetary power. So Merrou, Nova, and their son 'escape from the planet of the apes' in Merrou's spaceship (which didn't crash and sink like Taylor's).

Of course in "Escape", Zira and Cornelius survive their crash and captivity and are treated like celebrities, too. Until they let it slip to government officials that humanity will one day be ruled by their not-so humane descendants. And to make matters worse, the decline of mankind may be hastened by Zira's pregnancy. Doctor Otto Haslein replaces Dr. Zaius as the fanatical "defender of the faith", and leads the charge to exterminate the apes. "Escape's" ending is changed from that of the derivative novel (so as to allow for the continuation of the series).

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 11:39:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2013 11:39:50 AM PST
BackToGood says:
The original 1968 film because to this day it's still provocative, mysterious, contemplative, and entertaining. The 70s sequels have their merit, too. Tim Burton's remake was atrocious! Still haven't seen the new "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", but I know it got very positive reviews and reception.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 6:51:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 6:51:56 AM PST
W.T. says:
And how about a little love for the POTA live action series? That's probably my all-time favorite POTA entry. It's the one that I most frequently rewatch. I like the way the characters are more "can do" than the astronauts in the movies. They find themselves trapped in the future, and what do they do? No whining. They start using their old boy scout training and Physics 101 to survive! That really resonated with me, even as a kid!

It may sound weird, but those two astronauts (and then, later on, MacGyver) led me to become an engineer!

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 7:31:04 AM PST
Music Lover says:
I vote for the 1968 original-one of the best movies ever made imo. Didn;t really enjoy the Burton one though I did like the James Franco Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes recently. my second favorite in the series was Beneath The Planet Of The Apes with the doomsday bomb-I thought that was interesting and I really enjoyed General Ursus. All the others were decent but none could ever come close to the majesty of the original

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 9:34:18 AM PST
As a kid I really liked Beneath the PotA as well. And you're right, the television series was pretty good as well. Yes, Roddy McDowell will be surely missed. It's about time for another ape series to come along. Those Apes still have legs yet.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 10:36:11 AM PST
Caswell says:
"Beneath" is often maligned but I find it's wild in it's social commentary. Sure, the first half is "rehash" of the original - like "Return of Jedi/Star Wars" let's rebuild the Death Star and blow it up again",..but the remainder with the "mutants" is a savage view on crazy America.

The mutants use "mind control/fakes images" to manipulate their enemies into attacking/killing each other (and this was decades before Matt Drudge and the internet,.).

The mutants "pray" to a "doomsday bomb" that makes them arrogantly think they're invulnerable - was this funded by the NRA and the Pentagon?

The "apes" with their primitive "religious conservatism" attack,..all the "heroes" get wasted and Chuck blows up the "Holy Weapon of Peace" which fries the "green and insignificant planet" into oblivion.

I'd like to see Tim Burton have the balls to pull off something like that!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 11:35:58 AM PST
You're right, BtPotA is about as ballsy a sequel as you could imagine. In the first you have human civilization destroyed, and the sequel you blow up the planet. That's about as anti nuclear proliferation as you can get, and it doesn't come across as preachy, though there's a definite tolerance message in there if you care to see it.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 4:21:35 AM PST
I've always thought that somewhere, there should be a college that uses POTA and its better sequels as the basis for a credit course. If there ever is such a course offered, then an excellent required text for the class is Planet of the Apes as American Myth: Race, Politics, and Popular Culture.

Unlike most behind-the-scenes movie books (that focus mainly on how-it-was-done trivia for fans) this book tends to be a complex psychological, sociological analysis of each of the original 5 movies. While it is dated and limited from that perspective, it is still a meticulously-researched study that covers everything from U.S. race relations to world history to contemporary politics (as they pertain to POTA). It also goes into the series's rich allegorical roots and explores its impact on American pop culture.

A great, revealing read (for those looking for a totally different take on POTA)!

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 7:20:00 AM PST
I love them all dearly - except that Tim Burton abortion - but I have an especially soft spot for Escape From The Planet Of The Apes. It's an often ovelooked entry in the series, which starts out as a light comedy, then becomes a satire, and finally turns into drama which slowly gets darker until it's tragic, ominous ending. It's a clever reversal of the first film, and is also closer in tone to Pierre Boulle's original novel.

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 7:50:42 AM PST
Music Lover says:
for those of you interested AMC will be showing all 5 Ape movies back to back starting this Saturday at 9 a.m.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 8:03:08 AM PST
Classic says:
My nephew used to refer to this as "Ape Fest!"

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 9:36:50 AM PST
Music Lover says:
Classic-I don't know if you're old enough to remember the 4:30 movie in the late 70's? but when they had Planet Of The Apes week it was always my favorite

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:57:31 AM PST
Ever wonder about the backgrounds of the original astronaut 'Fab 4': Taylor, Stewart, Landon, and Dodge? About their ship's name and flight capabilities? What about their real mission and destination? And the one I've always wondered about: How did Cornelius, Zira, and Milo 'escape from the planet of the apes' in Taylor's beached water-logged, depressurized ship when the ship in the third installment bears no resemblance to that craft? Was it merely a lax day at the studio continuity office ... or, something deeper? Hmmm. (lol)

Well I found an interesting fan fiction site that monkeys around with the first 15 or 20 minutes of the original "Planet of the Apes" and the opening of "Escape From the Planet of The Apes." Heck, it's probably the most detailed, hypothetical analysis of any movies' first few scenes I've ever seen--outside of Star Trek and Star Wars entertainment, of course! Complete with fan artwork, scientific charts, and a neat little public service announcement about the mission, this is a must-see for POTA fans--and for those idly waiting for your car repairs or pizza delivery!

http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/tableofcontents.html

Curious stuff!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
More Reviews of the Last Movie You Watched 8788 8 minutes ago
Classic movie Reel .com ( Who heard of this on-line site)??? 39 9 minutes ago
Everything That I Need To Know I Learned From Watching Movies 166 11 minutes ago
One Degree of Separation - Season Four 1338 13 minutes ago
***Fifty Shades of Grey Stammering*** 502 48 minutes ago
TV Talk 964 55 minutes ago
Movie Game! 10 movies where... continued! 9641 1 hour ago
Casual Yammering and Pleasant Banter 637 1 hour ago
Yet Another Thread on Culture Wars, PC Behaviors, Etc. 92 1 hour ago
When watching films about gays --remember parental neglect causes homosexuality (mygenes.co.nz) 51 2 hours ago
Finding rare treasure: discovering great films that aren't widely known 959 4 hours ago
The Crazy Climax 13 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions