Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Favorite Halloween Time Movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 663 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2011 9:47:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2011 10:09:54 PM PDT
With Halloween coming up (I know, it's still only September. I'm getting an early start here) I have been watching some of my favorite scary DVD movies. So far I have watched...

Dawn of the Dead - The original 1978 version directed by George A. Romero. I first saw this film at a midnight showing over 30 years ago, and it is still one of my favorite Horror movies. Sure, the makeup effects aren't the best and a little dated compared to todays' special effects, but the movie is still a good scary treat that is fun to revisit from time to time. The dead are coming back to life and eating the living, and society is quickly breaking down. 4 people hole themselves up in an abandoned shopping mall and have to fight for survival against the accumulating zombie hordes, and worse, a sadistic invading motorcycle gang. One of the best!

My Bloody Valentine 3D - I bought this remake on the cheap a couple of years ago just to see the 3D effects on my TV and it soon became one of my favorite Horror films. A cave-in traps 6 miners underground in Harmony, Pa. and one of the miners, Harry Warden, goes crazy and kills the other 5 miners in a mad frenzy. After being rescued, Harry continues his murder spree and is soon taken down by the sheriff. Ten years later a serial killer dressed as a miner continues the killing spree in Harmony and the new Sheriff needs to find out who is behind the gruesome murders. Is it the dead Harry Warden come back from the grave to exact his revenge?

The Fog - The original John Carpenter version. It's a fun little creepy movie and it stars Adrienne Barbeau, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Atkins and Janet Leigh. Ghost pirates come back and wreak havoc in the small fishing town of Antonio Bay to reclaim a long-lost treasure that has been stolen from them many years ago.

Forbidden World aka Mutant - I recently purchased this film on DVD as a special "Roger Corman's Cult Classics" 2-pack featuring both the theatrical version (Forbidden World) and the director's uncut version (Mutant). It is a 1982 low-budget rip-off of sorts of Ridley Scott's "Alien" movie, featuring a genetic experiment gone wrong on a space laboratory on the planet Xarbia. This movie is way over-the-top in bad acting, nudity, violence, gore, and just plain silliness, and it's also a lot of spooky fun. I was lucky enough to see this film on the big screen back during it's initial release and it stuck with me all these years later so I just had to own a copy of it. It's a great, cheesy, low-budget Horror film perfect for a late-night weekend viewing with cold cans of beer and a big bowl of popcorn.

I do have a few more scary and eerie movies that I like to bring out during Halloween Time that I will be viewing over the next few weeks, and some other not-quite-so-scary movies such as the "Scooby Doo" feature films starring Matthew Lillard as Shaggy, Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne, Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Fred, Linda Cardellini as Velma, and Neil Fanning as the voice of Scooby-Doo.

What are some of your favorite Halloween haunts movies that you like to bring out and watch during All Hallows Eve?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 11:22:08 AM PDT
Super topic, man, and perfect timing. The month of horror starts Saturday. Hallowe'en will be here before we know it.

I was happy to see "The Fog" on your post. That's a favorite of mine. It just has good ingredients: atmosphere, score, cast, setting. I love when Barbeau drives to the lighthouse and then listens to promo tapes, and suddenly the recording becomes sinister. Great scene. (".. like an albatross... my God ... damn them all!")

Halloween time makes me nostalgic. I will pop in the stop-motion cartoon "Mad Monster Party", because they used to show it on TV this time of year when I was a little boy.
"The Nightmare Before Christmas" is also appropriate fare.

Of course you can't go wrong with Carpenter's "Halloween". It's still fun, still retains its charms. And why not give "Halloween III" a spin; viewed as a singular horror film (not part of the franchise), it's pretty good.

This time of year I dig up some oldies like "The Haunting", "The Innocents", "The Spiral Staircase", "Psycho", "War of the Worlds", "The Thing", "Bride of Frankenstein". Love those.

Can't forget Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow" ... for production design alone, that's darn good.

There's the original "Night of the Living Dead", "Carnival of Souls", the remake of "Dawn of the Dead", and "Return of the Living Dead". Oh, and "Night of the Creeps", too.

And, finally, something I discovered so happily a couple of years back: "Trick 'r Treat", one of the most entertaining and enjoyable horror anthology movies to come around since "Creepshow". So good.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 11:46:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 11:06:34 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 1:24:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2011 1:51:06 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 3:21:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2011 3:36:43 PM PDT
"I was happy to see "The Fog" on your post. That's a favorite of mine. It just has good ingredients: atmosphere, score, cast, setting."

I agree. One of my favorite parts is the scene where Blake and his ghostly crew confront Father Malone in the church...it always gives me the creeps!

"And, finally, something I discovered so happily a couple of years back: "Trick 'r Treat", one of the most entertaining and enjoyable horror anthology movies to come around since "Creepshow". So good."

I've never seen it but I have heard it recommended by others. I'll have to check it out sometime soon.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 4:21:31 PM PDT
My halloween picks:

If kids are around: Courage the Cowardly Dog, the original Frankenstein, or original Blob.
Modern classics: Nightmare on Elm St. or The Blob (remake).
Forgotten classics: The Sentinel or Prophecy.
For a laugh: Young Frankenstein or The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra.
Something sexy: From Beyond or Daughters of Darkness.

Something totally different? Halloween III.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 5:10:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2011 5:10:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 5:22:33 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
I have a few movies that rotate from Halloween to Halloween, and all of them release the dreaded inner child, and now that I have a kid of my own, they will likely all become Halloween traditions in my house for years to come.

The Witches - Nicolas Roeg's take on the classic Roald Dahl book. Utilizing the Henson genius (a recurring theme for me on Halloween), and Anjelica Huston in deliciously creepy form, 'The Witches' is perfect light viewing for the day.

Labyrinth - an odd world with even odder characters. Perfect for Halloween, what with the small scares mixed with all those freaky looking characters.

Return To Oz - Sooooo much more creepier than the original.( possibly interesting side note - my music teacher from when I was in about grade 4 or 5, claimed to have come up with the story for this movie and tried to sue the producers of the movie.....he didn't win, but decided the school would put on the play that he claimed to have written before the movie. We showed it, and two weeks later he quit and I never heard a word about him again. My guess.....some kind of Oz-induced breakdown.)

Poltergeist - when the little one has been put to bed, this one goes on. An all-time fave of mine, with the perfect blend of light and dark (much like Halloween day itself).

So, after a day with movies like these, its sweet, weird, and altogether awesome dreams.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 7:48:02 PM PDT
"The Sentinel", that's a fun 70's flick. And what a batch of actors in that one. Old timies and up-and-comers. Plus we get a little bit of Burgess Meredith as fey, eccentric neighbor Charles Chazen. And his cat Jezebel and parakeet Mortimer, lol.

I like that movie along with "Burnt Offerings".

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 7:48:25 PM PDT
Blu Boy says:
Ah, a topic that is my cup of tea.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre- Tobe Hooper's classic rural horror flick. Sure makes you wonder 'bout those backcountry folk.

'Salem's Lot- another Tobe Hooper flick and one that I watch at least twice a year. This made for TV movie adaptation of Stephen King's classic has plenty of atmosphere and scares.

Creepshow- already mentioned but this Romero anthology is the ultimate anthology horror film (well, maybe Tales From the Crypt- with Peter Cushing).

Night of the Living Dead- No need to say why but this is a great late night scare fest.

I have to agree with Return to Oz, The Witches, and Trick'r'Treat. Scary good fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 7:53:51 PM PDT
T. Sloan,

Yes, yes, yes: "The Witches" is a gleaming, brilliant gem of a fantasy movie; thanks so much for reminding me about it. I adore the Grand High Witch (Anjelica Huston in all her glory) and her fellow witches. This movie has such fantastic makeup and puppetry, it really has that magical Henson touch. Plus, the boys turning into mice was done so nicely. It's such a charming family film (for kiddies who like their fantasy a bit more dark and with a European flavor).

Perfect for Halloween-time, you're right!

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 8:18:33 PM PDT
Gerek Braden says:
for the entire month of october i watch horror films that i love. lots of slasher films and supernatural films. such as the prowler, the burning, the friday the 13th film series(excluding the remake) the first 3 nightmare on elm street movies, the funhouse,the believers,silver bullet, american werewolf in london, ghost story, tales from the crypt(1972), the vault of horror,fright night,from beyond, reanimator,and halloween 1&2( plus the rob zombie remakes)

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 8:22:02 PM PDT
David Harris says:
Thanks, this thread reminded me of another thread I've been meaning to start!

I have so many, but a classic is always what I go for. Esp. if there's distractions like kids at the door. I bought all "Halloweens" except for III, but my annul-retentive collector's brain took over and I have them all now.

"Hellraiser" anyone? I have all 8(?) of those but I plan to introduce I & II to my sister, who's never seen them.

I just got one called "Black Sheep". The trailer looked so good I bought it right away! Will see it tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 8:29:52 PM PDT
Gerek Braden says:
wow they made 8 hellraisers??? i only saw 5 maybe. hmmmmmm are they all good or at least entertaining?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 9:45:44 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@baron
I had to give you a vote up for mentioning the very two I was gonna--

'Sleepy Hollow' . . one of my two favorite Johnny Depp performances. May I also mention 'From Hell', also with Mr. Depp. My favorite Depp. Not Halloween precisely, but it doesn't get any scarier than Jack the Ripper

I saw 'Trick 'r Treat' last year on DVD. It has just the right note between campy and truly scary. Anna Paquin fans will like her turn here just prior to 'True Blood', I'm thinkin'.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 5:52:52 AM PDT
If you ever see the book The Sentinel II, pick it up. It's a carry on of the story; and it's about replacing the girl picked from The Sentinel. It's a great creepy read.

Another movie I forgot to mention, Dead & Buried.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 6:31:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 3:37:01 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 6:44:04 AM PDT
bella7 says:
I'm a big chicken and do not like scary movies, so my Halloween ritual is It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 8:53:03 AM PDT
"For a laugh: Young Frankenstein"

Yes, good pick! That's another essential one that's a Halloween tradition to view at my house this time of year.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 8:56:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 9:07:10 AM PDT
"Poltergeist - when the little one has been put to bed, this one goes on. An all-time fave of mine, with the perfect blend of light and dark (much like Halloween day itself)."

Too right. Poltergeist still dishes up scares aplenty all these years later.

"You son-of-a-bitch! You moved the cemetry, but you left the bodies! Didn't you?! You son-of-a-bitch! You left the bodies, and you only moved the headstones! YOU ONLY MOVED THE HEADSTONES!!!! WHY??!!"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:01:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 9:02:22 AM PDT
"I'm a big chicken and do not like scary movies, so my Halloween ritual is It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

Then you would enjoy the two live-action "Scooby Doo" movies, Bella. Give them a rent sometime. They're light-hearted and fun films based on the old cartoons and we've been watching them every Halloween for the last few years now.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 9:03:18 AM PDT
JR Fleming says:
Ginger Snaps
Dog Soldiers
Almost any Dracula movie

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 9:23:26 AM PDT
Top 5 Tuesday: Haunted House Movies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yb8PMeTkwE

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 9:52:53 AM PDT
Garmonbozia says:
Lots of good picks here! On Halloween night, I always watch John Carptenter's Halloween.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:54:28 AM PDT
bella7 says:
Thanks for the mention, Rock.

I did watch Scooby Doo as a kid.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  99
Total posts:  663
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2011
Latest post:  11 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions