Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1426-1450 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 3:31:30 PM PST
Seeing as how my chances of making it into Heaven are nil (I like Spaceballs), I might as well blame it on Him. Best to make my future Overlord happy. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 7:31:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 7:31:41 PM PST
Zolar Waka says:
I don't think comparing Romero's films with Brooks' films to be a valid exercise in the least bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 7:39:23 PM PST
stevign says:
lolol.....Two people actually "voted" on your post.

http://www.cadca.org/files/shrug.jpg

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:08:53 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Re: "Smith's First Rule, the Rule of Trailers--no film is better than its trailer"<

That may well be the most incredible thing uttered on this thread. And there's some stiff competition, to be sure.
The examples of movies that are much better than the trailers make them appear, are voluminous.
Trailers are not always "the best bits" of a movie. Sometimes they are cut by studio hacks who don't even know what the movie's tone or content is supposed to be.
They are usually cut to deliver the most sensational bits, not to always give an accurate impression of what the movie's about.
Very few good films are not far better than their Coming Attractions prevue.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 11:33:57 PM PST
C McGhee says:
JPB- sole of Witt

perhaps daughter of Katarina-

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YpwsMUKhr7Y/T_Aln88NJFI/AAAAAAAAQuc/6xnfTbaf1Qg/s640/k1.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:28:46 AM PST
JB: And I find it equally incredible that you deny the truth of the Law of Trailers. At least in my experience, it holds at least 99% of the time.

Counterexample, with evidence, please.

And not some obscure Bosnian gem.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:31:21 AM PST
Zolar: On one single criterion--is it a watchable and entertaining film?--it is.

But then I find the degree of Romero-philia around here perfectly incomprehensible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 11:09:12 AM PST
Zolar Waka says:
Woody Allen's films are ALWAYS better than the trailers? One exception is maybe "Match Point" which was a pretty good movie, but the trailer was brilliant!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 11:14:06 AM PST
Zolar Waka says:
Ok. I'm a Romerophile. Granted.

I also like Brooks (not as much as Woody Allen of course). But, I don't compare them. I happen to love "The Twelve Chairs."

But, we have to agree that these two guys (George and Brooks) have always gone for different audiences and have very different themes and stories, etc. Only briefly in the late '70's did they maybe come close (circles converging so to speak) with "Young Frankenstein" (straight comedy with horror trappings) and "Dawn of the Dead" (horror, with bits funny as heck). Of course, most of Romero's films have some funny bits.

Nobody will ever convince me that Romero is anything less an entertaining director and craftsman, telling stories that I want to see. One of my favorite American directors, for sure.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 11:23:14 AM PST
Zolar: I repeat--a comparison between Brooks, a director whose films are variable (I wouldn't rank Twelve Chairs very high, for instance, nor Life Stinks) but are usually entertaining and on occasion brilliant, and Romero, a filmmaker in whom I see no merit whatsoever.

Make of it what you will.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:14:43 PM PST
Zolar Waka:

I also like Brooks' "The Twelve Chairs," the basic story of which has been done in a few other films. Ron Moody and Dom Deluise are quite good in this. For me, this movie is funnier than any that Brooks directed after "Young Frankenstein." "Spaceballs" is fitfully funny especially after I have downed a couple of Scotches.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:40:06 AM PST
"Rear Window" (1954) (Blu-ray disc) 10/10.

Number one on my list of five favorite Hitchcock films. Would be on my list (if I had one) of my top ten all-time favorite movies.

Blu-ray divulges all sorts of detail. It's clear now that the brick apartment building across the court is not really brick but a wooden structure with the bricks painted on. Early in the film a woman in a distant shot is holding a birdcage out of her window containing two live green parakeets which are not discernible on the DVD version. You do feel more physically in the presence of the characters and thus become more drawn into the story. The sound quality has been greatly improved -- nice, clear monophonic sound with no attempts at fake stereo. In one scene Grace Kelly is standing behind Stewart in his wheelchair; as the camera slowly dollies up to her, you can hear footsteps of one of the crew.

I think I've watched this film at least fifty times -- the first time as a re-release in a second-run theater in 1956 I believe. When it was first shown on network television, I recorded the soundtrack on open reel audio tape, obviously quite some time ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:16:32 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "In one scene Grace Kelly is standing naked behind Stewart in his wheelchair"

Well if anything is going to get him out of that wheelchair, that would certainly do it.

re: "as the camera slowly dollies up to her, you can hear footsteps of one of the crew."

Sneaking up on the naked Grace Kelly no doubt.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:20:46 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Bruce G. Taylor- Rear Window

What a great & fun movie. I never tire of seeing it. Stewart & Kelley are wonderful of course but I always remember the parts played by Burr & the little dog that digs up he flower bed. The best character is perhaps Stella played by Thelma Ritter what a great set of lines she has. :)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:08:25 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
C. McGhee

That moment when Burr realizes he is being watched and looks directly into the camera at us has got to be one of the most chilling moments in movie history!

Bravo, Hitchcock.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:24:47 AM PST
Cav: It's a great film. One of the top Hitchcocks for me--not the very top (that honor is shared by North by Northwest and Vertigo)--but right up there. Meaning, of course, that it automatically ranks as one of the best films ever made.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 1:16:56 PM PST
stevign says:
I would agree, that was definitely an "Uh oh" moment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:50:03 AM PST
C McGhee says:
Cavardossi- Bravo, Hitchcock.

Agreed!

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:01:40 AM PST
La Belle et La Bete (1946); Cocteau

Upon my fourth viewing of the film, I noticed that when Josette Day cries out "My Beast", I forgot that La Belle was a fantasy film. That's how powerful this film is. But of course, my raving about this film is redundant because everyone else has already seen and raved about it.

10/10

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:44:26 AM PST
PoM: It's a huge favorite here--beautiful, elegant, and psychologically rich.

I hope you are inspired to see more of Cocteau. May I suggest moving right over to Orpheus.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:46:12 AM PST
WAS: I certainly am. Next week I'll have access again to Netflix DVDs (sadly none of Cocteau's work is available for streaming), and Orpheus is near the top of the list.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:52:35 AM PST
Last movie I watched was excellant,it was "Lady of the night",starring Norma Shearer
in a double role,OH and it is a silent movie

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:28:12 AM PST
C McGhee says:
Michael J. Mason- Lady of the Night

I like good silents & haven't seen Lady of the Night. I do find it hard to see Norma Shearer as a lady of the night. I readily think of Louise Brooks when I think of that subject in silents.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:00:46 PM PST
The Big Sleep

I loved it even more than His Girl Friday, another wonderful Hawks film. God, I love films of the 40s.

10/10

The Fugitive

A really good, maybe even great thriller. There are a couple of flaws, but it's still an extremely entertaining film.

8.5/10

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:08:30 PM PST
PoM: Hurrah!

I can't say I would rate The Fugitive nearly as high as that, but it's a good film.

The Big Sleep, however--one of the best.

Did you catch the unresolved plot point?

There is one splendid Chandlerism in the novel I always think of that didn't make it into the screenplay. Chandler had a trademark way with similes, and one of his best describes the General's greenhouse; the orchids "looked like the unwashed fingers of dead men."
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
One Degree of Separation - Season Five 3121 31 seconds ago
★ Return of the World's Worst Discussion Thread...Ever! ★ 3 2 minutes ago
Describe the last movie(s) you saw in three words 205 35 minutes ago
Another Mass Shooting in Orlando over 50 dead.... 182 35 minutes ago
Revenge of the World's Worst Discussion Thread...Ever! 9999 48 minutes ago
Even More Reviews on the Last Movie You Watched 4465 57 minutes ago
Pick One of Two Then Pose Another Pairing.... 183 2 hours ago
Alibi Lounge II: Cast Iron 2438 2 hours ago
Who Shouldve Won The Oscar-1960s 0 6 hours ago
Movies That Historical Figures Would Watch 73 11 hours ago
60s film and TV and later remakes and reboots--good and bad. 76 12 hours ago
Mash the movie was actually written by communists and the TV was very left-wingish in not mentioning that North Korea started the war 43 12 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  201
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions