Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 7494 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:47:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 7:50:25 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Whoa Daddy. . .

Carl sweet talking his TV set is one of the more touching moments in cinema history:

"Come on, plug me into the ozone, baby. Come on. Come on!"

Not sure it's my favorite scene; high in the running tho: "Yeah-ah, I decided not to park there."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 8:31:42 PM PDT
What, are you nuts? We had pancakes for breakfast. I need a place where I can get a shot and a beer and a steak.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 8:37:18 PM PDT
stevign says:
lolol......Not that "you" can't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 8:41:54 PM PDT
stevign says:
Interesting, I wish him and his cause the best.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 9:34:58 PM PDT
Justin says:
The last film I saw was Malick's The Tree of Life on HBO.

I was really taken aback by this film. It was a bit of a slow-starter, but once it got moving, I found myself completely unable to look away for the entire two and a half hour runtime. It's a very ambiguous film in many ways, lacking in dialogue and containing abstract shots and sequences, which allows for the viewer to give the film his or her own interpretation, something that is a bit rare in most mainstream cinema. It's definitely not for everyone, but those who like to think about the movies they watch and are open-minded enough to let a film be an emotional experience can certainly take something away from this incredibly unique film.

It won the Palm d'Or at Cannes in 2011 and was nominated for three Academy Awards this past year (Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Cinematography).

I'd give this film a rating of 9/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 1:55:20 AM PDT
WAS: Amazon had most of the films you mentioned,all had good reviews,got most of them ordered.
Got the Thin Man movie box set. Nothing to equal that today.
Didn't Peter Lawford and some actress try this on TV ago. Lawford may have been able to pull it off.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 6:35:13 AM PDT
El Emmarino says:
Confessions of a Superhero

Documentary follows four costumed superheroes on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Superman, Wonder Woman, the Hulk and Batman are four aspiring actors who pose with tourists for tips. This film has received some great ratings... I don't know why. The pace was incredibly slow and the story was only mildly interesting.

4/10

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 7:30:58 AM PDT
Warren: There was a TV series with Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk that ran for two seasons 1957-1959. (Ms. Kirk is best known from House of Wax, where she is the object of Vincent Price's parafinic attentions.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 8:29:25 AM PDT
stevign says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXRYA1dxP_0

I remember watching the trailer when it first came out and of course the absence of dialogue, coupled with the music, reminded me of the way The Thin Red Line moved. It does sport an excellent cast, I'll have to check it out when it's shown on one of the HD channels I get.
Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 11:28:11 AM PDT
WAS: Could not think of Phyllis Kirk and neither could anybody else.
What was the western that Jim Garner was in before Maverick? I forgot and nobody I talked to had heard of it,too lazy to go back through all
the posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 11:33:58 AM PDT
Emma: I saw this,don't remember if on video or TV. Strange way to make a living. I agree it was worth a watch but slow and not deserving of
any great ratings. Don't know how I would react if I encountered somebody doing this on the street.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 12:15:09 PM PDT
Justin says:
stevign: It's been a really polarizing film. I guess some people actually became so angry that they were shouting at the screen in theaters (which is absolutely preposterous to me; if you dislike a film that much, then leave, for cripe's sake). It seems as though people either love or hate this movie, and there's literally no in between.

It's definitely worth a watch to find out which group you belong to, though. I'm convinced that if people would just be patient and enter this film with an open mind, then most people could take something away from The Tree of Life as an emotional experience.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 12:32:38 PM PDT
widowTink says:
Most recently saw BRAVE. It was a beautiful, superior film. A terrific heroine/princess, a different kind of storyline, and the animation and effects were realistic and magical. A gorgeous, soaring celtic soundtrack. Another winner for Disney/Pixar! When I exited the the theater I was BAWLING. I like that the central character, a female and a princess to boot, was not concerned with a sappy love interest, this was about love between a mother and daughter. I give it a hundred Thumbs Up!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 1:05:41 PM PDT
Warren: There was the original Maverick (1957-62) and prior that that he had a few appearances on Cheyenne (1955-57). Bret Maverick appeared in one episode of Sugarfoot (1957).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 1:31:21 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "I guess some people actually became so angry that they were shouting at the screen in theaters"

They should show it in bars, we could see some good bar fights on youtube.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 7:33:42 PM PDT
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon:

In the same year, they give Gladiator the Best Picture? This film had way better action, more compelling acting (which at times felt a little bit forced), and superb direction by Ang Lee.

9/10

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 8:23:24 PM PDT
stevign says:
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was just a step above animation. Gladiator was far better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 8:24:30 PM PDT
Gladiator was a cliche and I'm no Russell Crowe fan.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 3:32:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2012 5:24:36 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Clue: Reminiscent of 'Murder By Death'...well, for a while at least, then it becomes reminiscent of a blustery night in 1992, sitting around playing Clue, finding it mildly boring, then wondering if beer could help perk things up. Which it does. A couple of laughs here and there, maybe one or two people coming into their own, entertaining the rest who are now just along for the ride, but the highlight's gone; the unfurling of the game, the anticipation of what lies ahead, now a vague notion getting crushed by the force of sameness. So, when it's finally wrapped up for the night, you can either look back at the night's infancy and remember the good times, or you can bury the game in the deepest recesses of the closet, under 'Trivial Pursuit' and 'War On Terror:The Board Game'. 6/10

Me and You and Everyone We Know: A dip into *just* off kilter. Birds of a feather enter each others lives to the benefit of all. In some ways this feels like a film that would be made by a more youthful, tasteful and positive female version of Todd Solondz! Urm, and better version....coz this film is better than any of Solondz's work because it is so Fantastically Fantastical!! 8.9/10

Metropolitan: It's a tough gig being the future of the world, a trust fund in one hand and a family legacy in the other. From a starting point of high expectations, the fear of not living them up sees a word like DOOMED get bandied about. Oh the empathy that must gush forth! And yet...these guys ain't so bad, not on the whole. This pressure of impending doom DOES attract some empathy. A little understanding goes a long way. 8.5/10
Some quotes from the standout character by the standout actor, Chris Eigeman as Nick Smith.....

"Rick Von Slonecker is tall, rich, good looking, stupid, dishonest, conceited, a bully, liar, drunk and thief, an egomaniac, and probably psychotic. In short, highly attractive to women."

"The cha cha is no more ridiculous than life itself."

"Playing strip poker with an exhibitionist somehow takes the challenge away."

"I guess you could say it's extremely vulgar, I like it a lot."

And finally....

NICK: I know: You're opposed to these parties "on principle."

TOM: Yes.

NICK: Exactly what principle is that?

TOM: (pause) Well-

NICK: (quickly interrupting to tell him)-The principle that one shouldn't be out eating hors d'oeuvres when you could be home worrying about the less-fortunate.

TOM: Pretty much-yes.

NICK: Has it ever occurred to you that YOU are the less-fortunate. [Silence.]I just mean there's something a tiny bit arrogant about people going around feeling sorry for other people they consider "less fortunate." Are the "more-fortunate" really so terrific? Do you want some much richer guy going around saying, "Poor Tom Townsend-Doesn't even have a winter coat-I can't go to any more parties."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 3:37:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2012 3:41:11 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
You just quoted some of my favorite Whitty dialog and one-liners.

Mmmm, that's good Stillman!

I've known Miranda July's work since the late '90s, so that was my 'in' into her fantastic imagination. She gets a lot of flack for being "twee" and in her own world too much. Would that we all could invent our own happiness as successfully as she has. She's a real good egg, and for me an endlessly intriguing one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 3:40:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2012 3:40:35 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
HAHA...yeah, it's good stuff! A hearty broth for a wit starved man.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 3:42:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2012 3:42:41 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
Next up for you is 'Barcelona'?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 3:47:36 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Yeah....if I can find it. I've exhausted all options other than buy or [censored for legal reasons]. It took me a while to find that dusty VHS for 'Metropolitan'. I hope I don't look how I feel when I'm out there hunting the aisles. You know....desperate.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 4:09:12 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
"That's right officer, all I can tell you is he looked frenzied, unshaven, possessed even... and then he muttered something as he left about going over to Pirate Bay to [censored for legal reasons]".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 6:36:37 AM PDT
stevign says:
What cliche would that be?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x9e125f00)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  176
Total posts:  7494
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions