Customer Discussions > Movie forum

♫I'm goin' back in time♬

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 5:43:30 PM PST
Nozferatu says:
Come with us now on a journey through time and space....to the 80's!

Fave flics of the 80's?
Flic that best represents the 80's?
Worst flics of the 80's?
Good decade for films or bad decade for films?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:32:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 6:33:37 PM PST
Fave flicks include (but not limited to):

The Empire Strikes Back (1980, Irvin Kershner)
The Shining (1980, Stanley Kubrick)
WarGames (1983, John Badham)
Ghostbusters (1984, Ivan Reitman)
Police Academy (1984, Hugh Wilson)
Supergirl (1984, Jeannot Szwarc)
Romancing the Stone (1984, Robert Zemeckis)
Firestarter (1984, Mark L. Lester)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984, Steven Spielberg)
Back To The Future (1985, Robert Zemeckis)
The Breakfast Club (1985, John Hughes)
Labyrinth (1986, Jim Henson)
Stand by Me (1986, Rob Reiner)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986, John Hughes)
The Princess Bride (1897, Rob Reiner)
Spaceballs (1987, Mel Brooks)
Good Morning, Vietnam (1987, Barry Levinson)
The Running Man (1987, Paul Michael Glaser)
Die Hard (1988, John McTiernan)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988, Robert Zemeckis)
Beetlejuice (1988, Tim Burton)
Heathers (1988, Michael Lehmann)
Willow (1988, Ron Howard)

80's Representatives:

Anything by John Hughes or Robert Zemeckis?

Worst 80's Movie:

The Legend of Billie Jean (1985, Matthew Robbins)
Howard the Duck (1986, Willard Huyck)
Making Mr. Right (1987, Susan Seidelman)
Casual Sex (1988, Genevieve Robert)
Gleaming the Cube (1989, Graeme Clifford)
WAIT... Never mind, I take that back. ALL THOSE MOVIES RULED! The 80's was the perfect guilty pleasure decade. Everything was bodacious!

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:55:16 PM PST
I'll try to do one movie per year:

Raging Bull (1980)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Fanny and Alexander (1982)
Return of the Jedi (1983)
Amadeus (1984) Sorry Jon!
Back to the Future (1985)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Full Metal Jacket or The Princess Bride (1987)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
Do the Right Thing (1989)

Representative of the 80s: Back to the Future. Just one of those perfect movies that boosts self-esteem.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:53:31 PM PST
When I think of great 1980s movies, I can focus on a short range, under 30, because it's not a decade I associate with great contemporary-set movies. Some of the best I've seen that take place in the '80s:

Atlantic City; La Balance; The Bedroom Window; Black Widow; Careful, He Might Hear You;
Comfort and Joy; Crossing Delancey; Cutter's Way; Desperately Seeking Susan; Extreme Prejudice;
Grown-Ups; High Hopes; Honkytonk Man; Hoosiers; The King of Comedy;
Local Hero; Lost in America; Masquerade; Meantime; Modern Romance;
Pee-wee's Big Adventure; Raising Arizona; Resurrection; Smithereens; The State of Things;
Streets of Fire; Sweetie; Tampopo; A Taxing Woman.

The list would be much longer if I included movies I just like a lot that are Very-Eighties-ish, like 'Vice Squad', 'War Games', 'Near Dark', 'Real Genius', 'Millennium'. Or if I included earlier-period or futuristic pieces.

Luckily, I can't remember some of the absolute worst I've seen from the '80s. Some of the direst "comedies" were imitation-Woody Allen type things with zero wit or invention, or 'Star Wars'-derivative shlock with zero budget or imagination.

Here's a short list of my most hated from the 1980s: Black Rain (Michael Douglas); Children of a Lesser God; The Fly II; Deal of the Century; Dune; The Goonies; Liquid Sky; Power; Road House; Santa Sangre; Scarface; The Shining; Summer Night, with Greek Profile, Almond Eyes and Scent of Basil; A View to a Kill; Weird Science.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:03:49 PM PST
El Em,

It's funny that 'Supergirl' is on your favorites and 'The Legend of Billie Jean' is on your Worst list. Both I would consider the guiltiest of my guilty pleasures of the '80s. Helen Slater is one of my earliest actress-crushes, so that explains that.

And 'Making Mr. Right' on the Worst list?! Must be some mistake. That is an adorably goofy flick with John Malkovich at his most charming pre-'Being John Malkovich'. And Ann Magnuson epitomized something about women in the '80s to me.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 2:04:58 AM PST
Anti-Warlock says:
Okay, here goes....

The Return of the Secaucus Seven
Airplane
Stardust Memories
Serial
Atlantic City
Modern Romance
Zelig
The Natural
Secret Honor
The Lonely Guy
The Gig
Lost in America
Rain Man
Another Woman
A Fish Called Wanda
Field of Dreams
Mystery Train
Cinema Paradiso
Crimes and Misdemeanors

Hardly anyone's favorite decade but the eighties is not without value.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:40:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 3:46:50 AM PST
Kacee says:
These are just a few, I've left loads off my list.

Amadeus
batteries not included
Betrayed
The Bedroom Window
Die Hard
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Dead Calm
Dead Poets Society
Escape To Victory
Overboard
The Princess Bride
She's Having A Baby
Shirley Valentine
Suspect
Whose Life Is It Anyway
Witness

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 4:33:54 AM PST
Nozferatu says:
Faves at the time.....Fatty Finn, The Earthling, Herbie Goes Bananas, Popeye.
More faves.....The Blues Brothers, Caddyshack, The Gods must Be Crazy, The Long Riders, Somewhere In Time, The Shining, Stir Crazy, The Empire strikes Back, Used Cars, Airplane!, Bronco Billy, Friday the 13th.
Worst.....The Exterminator, Oh, God! Book 2.

Faves at the time.....Clash of the Titans, Time Bandits.
More faves.....Mad Max 2, An American Werewolf in London, Escape from New York, Modern Romance, The Decline of Western Civilization, For Your Eyes Only, Gallipoli, Southern Comfort, Escape to Victory, Stripes.
Worst......Condorman, Happy Birthday To Me.

Faves at the time.......The Dark Crystal, Rocky 3, Tron, Zapped.
More faves.....First Blood, Fitzcarraldo, Honkytonk Man, Poltergeist, Creepshow, Night Shift.
Worst....Alone in the Dark, Deathtrap.

Faves at the time.....BMX Bandits, Mr, Mom, Vacation, Return of the Jedi, Twilight Zone: The Movie.
More faves......Christine, The Dead Zone, The King of Comedy, Project A, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Octopussy, Scarface, Videodrome.
Worst.....Jaws 3D, Staying Alive, Superman 3.

Faves at the time.....All of Me, Beverly Hills Cop, Cloak and Dagger, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, The Karate Kid, Police Academy, Revenge of the Nerds, Breakin', Top Secret!.
More faves.....Blood Simple, The Lonely Guy, The Natural, Paris Texas, A Private Function, Romancing the Stone, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, The Terminator.
Worst.....Best Defense, Starman.

Faves at the time.....Back to the Future, Better Off Dead, D.A.R.Y.L., Police Story, The Goonies, Gotcha!, Real Genius, Santa Claus: The Movie, Teen Wolf.
More Faves.....Burke and Wills, Commando, Day of the Dead, Enemy Mine, Lost in America, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The Return of the Living Dead, Ran.
Worst......Bad Medicine, Fandango, The Jewel of the Nile, Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

Faves at the time.....Aliens, Armed and Dangerous, Big Trouble in Little China, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Gung Ho!, Highlander, Labyrinth, Malcolm, One Crazy Summer, Quicksilver, Rad, Stand By Me, Fortress, Youngblood.
More faves.....Blue Velvet, The Hitcher, The Mosquito Coast, Platoon, Star Trek: The Voyage Home, Wildcats.
Worst.....The Boy Who Could Fly, Club Paradise.

Faves at the time.....Adventures in Babysitting, Baby Boom, Born in East L.A, Empire of the Sun, Overboard, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Raising Arizona, Robocop.
More faves.....Au revoir les enfents, Bad Taste, Broadcast News, Evil Dead 2, Extreme Prejudice, Full Metal Jacket, Matewan, Predator, Withnail and I, Spaceballs, The Stepfather, Wings of Desire, The Living Daylights.
Worst.....Can't Buy Me Love, Jaws: The Revenge, Mannequin, The Sicilian, Steel Dawn.

Faves at the time....Bat*21, Bloodsport, Coming to America, Die Hard, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, License to Drive, Shoot to Kill, Young Guns, Big Business, Vice Bersa, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Big.
More faves.....Ghosts...of the Civil Dead, The Big Blue, Colors, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, A Fish Called Wanda, Hairspray, The Last Temptation of Christ, They Live, Dead Ringers.
Worst....Action Jackson, Caddyshack 2, D.O.A, Earth Girls are Easy, High Spirits, Moon Over Parador, Rambo 3.

Faves at the time.....Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Cohen and Tate, Dead Calm, Major League, She-Devil, Three Fugitives, UHF, The Burbs.
More faves.....Born on the Fourth of July, Casualties of War, Drugstore Cowboy, Wilt, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Meet the Feebles, Parents.
Worst....Black Rain, Cyborg, Fletch Lives, No Holds Barred.

A good decade for me in terms of my enjoyment of it at the time. I was a young kid, and there was plenty of quality entertainment for me. Reflection sees most of the faves enter guilty pleasure territory.

I think a film that represents the 80's needs to represent the "entertain" side of things, plus it needs 80's music, 80's hair and fashion, and 80's gusto. 'Back to the Future' fits the bill.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:30:53 AM PST
I completely forgot about Bill and Ted! That's perhaps my favorite Keanu Reeves movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 4:39:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 6:12:33 PM PST
RE: Worst List

Oh I was just playing. I adore `The Legend of Billie Jean'... my first wonderful exposure with Christian Slater. And of course given my pure love of John Malkovich, how could I hate `Making Mr. Right'? It's rare for me to find an 80's movie that I actually dislike. Heck, I even like `Earth Girls are Easy' AND 'Hot to Trot'!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 4:53:02 PM PST
80s were great for horror/sci fi & comedy. Here's my list of favs

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Fletch
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Vacation
Fast Times @ Ridgemont High
Top Secret!
Naked Gun
Airplane!
Slap Shot
Caddyshack

John Carpenter's The Thing
Aliens
Hellraiser
Hellbound:Hellraiser 2
The Shining
Evil Dead
Predator
Terminator
Phantasm 2
Nightmare On Elm St
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions