Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The Star Wars VII-IX Official Discussion Forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 645 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2012 2:10:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 2:11:20 AM PST
Anthony L. says:
Recently the internet nearly had a heart attack when Disney announced that THEY HAD BOUGHT LUCASFILM for $4,000,000,000 dollars!
They announced that, starting in 2015, there would be a NEW Star Wars Trilogy, set after ROTJ.

--What was YOUR reaction when you heard the news?
--What do you think of a new Trilogy?
--How will Star Wars without George Lucas be?
--What do you want the films to cover?
--Should Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford return?

Say what you think below!

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:47:14 AM PST
W.T. says:
-- It was a jaw-dropping moment when I learned the news.
-- I look forward to the new movies with a touch of trepidation, but general excitement.
-- I expect the tone to be similar to the "Clone Wars" animated series, which is done by other people with Lucas just consulting, similar to the new arrangement.
-- They need to skip 20 years or so so that the Star Wars precedent is maintained that each trilogy is a different generation.
-- Yes, and by skipping to a new generation, they would be age appropriate.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 6:38:39 AM PST
D. Larson says:
What was YOUR reaction when you heard the news?

Disney rarely puts a foot wrong. Buying Marvel sure worked out for them. Buying Pixar was a brilliant move. Aside from the odd "John Carter", they usually know what they're doing.

What do you think of a new Trilogy?

Why not? Millions of kids have never had a new Star Wars in their lives. For anyone young enough to care, Star Wars is what their grandparents used to watch.

How will Star Wars without George Lucas be?

Better. Better plots, better writing, better acting.

What do you want the films to cover?

Fewer discussions of trade, tariffs and taxes. More interesting aliens and less stuff about droids.

Should Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford return?

Maybe cameos as the parents of a younger, fresher set of faces. But Harrison Ford looks even older than he is. And Carrie is way past her brass bikini best-by date. Not every principal in Star Wars needs to be a blood relative of the Skywalkers, though. What is this, a hereditary monarchy?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 6:48:08 AM PST
I'm excited about it.

Something I've been wondering about is how the Expanded Universe will fit in with the new trilogy. Will the new trilogy wipe out the entire Expanded Universe? Will it cherry-pick some ideas while still providing an original story?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 7:36:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 7:36:38 AM PST
W.T. says:
Only ONE THING should be completely off the table no matter what: RE-CASTING the originals with young actors and telling more stories in that era. That's the one thing that would fail spectacularly in all possible outcomes.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 9:34:39 AM PST
Since Disney bought Lucasfilm, does that mean they have the rights to Indiana Jones as well?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:05:35 AM PST
Mayhaps... and finally with the magic of Disney we may get that 'Howard the Duck' sequel at last that the world has been thirsting for. Not to mention several more Ewok Adventures.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 10:08:14 AM PST
I don't think they'll have access to Indy, since I think Spielberg might have the final say over it.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 11:19:33 AM PST
W.T. says:
Per Wikipedia (sometimes a risky proposition), Disney now owns the intellectual property of Indiana Jones; however, Paramount still has contractual distribution rights. So if Disney does another film, they would have to allow Paramount to distribute it or buy out Paramount's interest. (There could be some similar rights for the original six Star Wars films with Fox. I expect the rest of the 3-D re-releases to still be through Fox).

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 11:46:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 11:48:01 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
In the article announcing the sale (I think it was on CNN that I read it), Iger said something to the effect that he felt the Indiana Jones franchise was pretty well mined out. It sounded like he wasn't interested in Indy at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:54:28 AM PST
D. Larson says:
Or the Ewoks vs. Howard the Duck.

You can often find Howard the Duck for only five bucks in the Walmart cutout bin, or even the three dollar Big Lots pile. A better bargain you will never find; complex, visionary, an inter-species romance at once terrible and wonderful. Certainly well worth your five spot.

Maybe another Ewoks Christmas special, too?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:00:47 PM PST
D. Larson says:

What do you want the films to cover?

Fewer discussions of trade, tariffs and taxes.
-------------------------------------

I second that!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:36:08 PM PST
"Fewer discussions of trade, tariffs and taxes."
But isn't that the only way of getting kids into politics?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:41:02 PM PST
Should Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford return?

NO

There are mega stories out there already in the Star Wars universe, many which do not deal with Luke and crew. No need to write an original story for the new movies. Even if they did, I would want them to chose a story that does not deal with the same people as the 70's movies.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:44:46 PM PST
Star Wars Episode 7: 5 Reasons Disney Is The Best Thing That Could Happen To the Franchise

http://whatculture.com/film/star-wars-episode-7-5-reasons-disney-is-the-best-thing-that-could-happen-to-the-franchise.php

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:45:39 PM PST
6 Things Disney Should Do With The New Star Wars Trilogy

http://whatculture.com/film/6-things-disney-should-do-with-the-new-star-wars-trilogy.php

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:46:43 PM PST
Let's do this the easy way.

http://whatculture.com/?s=star+wars

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:25:35 PM PST
From one of the above links:

"In a recent interview with Mark Hamill, published after the announcement that Disney had bought Lucasfilm, Hamill said he and Carrie Fisher had met with George Lucas over the summer to talk about the upcoming trilogy. Also, Lucas' biographer Dale Pollock, who reportedly has read the treatments for the new trilogy, has said the new trilogy would place Luke Skywalker in his thirties or forties. With Hamill being 61, he couldn't play Luke that young-and recasting may make the new trilogy feel like a reboot rather than a continuation of the original trilogy.

Placing the new trilogy at a proper distance from Return of the Jedi could allow Hamill to return as a sort of Obi Wan Kenobi figure for the younger characters."

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:24:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 5:49:50 PM PST
MJEH says:
Imagine if they went ahead in time with the sequels. They'd have to change the opening title card to read:

"Not THAT long ago...in a galaxy that's...relatively closeby..."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:56:22 PM PST
Anthony L. says:
Quite a brilliant post, D. Larson! I agree with your opinions.
But don't you think that George Lucas is the SOUL of Star Wars?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 7:57:08 PM PST
Anthony L. says:
Hmm, I never though of that. As much as I like Star Wars, I'd give me right arm for a new Indiana Jones film!
:)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:02:16 PM PST
Anthony L. says:
UPDATE:
Mark Hamill has met with George Lucas to consider returning to the Star Wars Universe!
Plus, Harrison Ford says he is "Open to returning as Han Solo in the new Star Wars Trilogy!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 8:30:36 PM PST
Oh boy.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:16:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 5:16:28 AM PST
W.T. says:
The only thing that fans won't accept is re-casting of the originals with other young actors. That is our line in the sand! It will not really be Star Wars if they do something like that.

No new Luke Skywalker in his "thirties or forties". Absolutely unacceptable. If Luke shows up, he damn well better be in his sixties, and it damn well better be Mark Hamill, unless he is physically unable to perform, and only then is re-casting for "old Luke" even reluctantly permissible. Same for Han and Leia.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:46:28 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Anthony L.

I, too, would like more Indy movies, but I don't think they are even talking about it, at least not on the record. Iger attitude toward the franchise could be the death knell for it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  645
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions