Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:42:28 AM PDT
I can only presume that the "only $24 mil." stems from the fact that it made over $155 million world-wide.

So, with 'A Serious Man' taking in "only" $30 mil world-wide, I guess it will be said that 'A Serious Man' had the "exorbitant budget of $7 million"!

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 1:18:51 AM PDT
Let's make this one shorter 'n' sweeter, since that last one was like a regular bitter tirade (aka, "a serious review"). . .

'Love and Diane'

Paraphrased pitch I can fainting recall someone whispering in my ear in 2002:

~ "Perhaps you've been asking yourself why they don't make more two-and-a-half-hour video documentaries about African-American rehabilitated crack addicts who recover their children from foster care after six years of separation and who then lose them again after their daughters give birth out of wedlock to HIV-positive babies. Or perhaps not." ~

Whether or not this movie sounds like something you'd be interested in, it's one of the most excellent ethnographic-style documentaries I've seen in the last decade.
I've re-watched this movie twice now, since burning a copy of PBS's POV show years ago. It gets better each time in my estimation.

Jennifer Dworkin's directorial debut. She hasn't made another movie in the last 10 years, sadly.

Recommended if you liked 'Dark Days', 'Capturing the Friedmans', 'Hoop Dreams', 'Stevie', or 'Crumb'.

7/10

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 2:14:32 AM PDT
Thomas McCarthy's The Visitor.

One for us bleeding hearts. One for us romantics. One for us FELA KUTI FANS!!

8.7/10

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 2:27:26 AM PDT
Triple-crickey!
Someone is goin' 'round down-voting our posts tonight. Happened to me last night too on the Another Degree game.
It's either Lewy or the other obsessed one.

'The Visitor'! I loved that. Very nice humanist flick with the great virtue of giving Richard Jenkins a meaty role to chew on throughout (but never over-chew!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 2:40:24 AM PDT
Haha, yes, it's somewhat nice to know we are still disliked, isn't it. Who could be downvoting us? Gimme a K...gimme a C......

".....the great virtue of giving Richard Jenkins a meaty role to chew on throughout......"

Exactly what I was thinking. He's always got that dark, quiet thing going on, but it seems to be mainly used for comedies, so it was nice to see him in a more serious and Larger role.

Strange happenings movie-wise....I started to watch Haneke's 'Time of the Wolf'. So, in the film the family walks into the home to find it occupied by strangers, and then BANG. WTF? Then my daughter walks in the room, I think "Maybe not the type of imagery I need her seeing yet.", so I changed the DVD over to 'The Visitor'. What happens. A guy walks into his house to find it occupied by strangers! Spooky. I mentioned it to the missus, and she asks "Who's Haneke?" I say "You know, the guy that directed 'Funny Games'. Remember, that movie about the kids that occupy that families home."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 3:21:53 AM PDT
"...occupy that families home."<

OOoaauhh, that is spooky and an interesting synchronicity!

One of the things I threw up on youtube, to the song "Houseguest", was a montage of stills from movies with unwanted (and sometimes unexpected) "house guests" (how literal of me!)...
And Franklin Bruno sings (this was written at least 6 years before the first 'Funny Games', mind you:)

"We were dozing on the couch / there was nothing much to watch / other than my manners and your waning graciousness / eased the thumb off the remote / placed my palms against your throat. . ."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 4:55:00 AM PDT
Spooky synchronicity indeed!

I did end up finishing Time of the Wolf (Le Temps du Loup) . It was okay. A slow-burner that didn't *quite* live up to that shocking opening. I did like Haneke's use of darkness to create tension, and a feeling of hopelessness. And Isabelle Huppert did a good job (again*).

Creepy ending, this film does have! 7.1/10

*her turn in The Piano Teacher (La Pianiste) is INCREDIBLE!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 6:17:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 6:19:08 AM PDT
Toby,

"Haha, yes, it's somewhat nice to know we are still disliked, isn't it. Who could be downvoting us? Gimme a K...gimme a C......"

As my name contains a K and a C, this sentence caught my attention.

I can assure you and anyone else on the forums that I have downvoted three times since joining the forums in October 2010. The first I can't remember, the second was Annie and the third was Alice and I told both of them I had downvoted them. I do not downvote slyly. If I disagree with something then I usually post a message, or usually don't bother. I read the posts and move on.

I always seem to be yesvoting most of the time, especially when the conversation is about Sherlock Holmes :)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 6:57:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 7:13:39 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Two yesterday...

1. Don Siegel's "The Line Up" available in Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics I (The Big Heat / 5 Against the House / The Lineup / Murder by Contract / The Sniper). This movie was so good and stars Eli Wallach in 1958! He's always so much fun to watch. Two bad guys fly in from Miami to collect a bunch of H that was shipped over from the East, hidden on unsuspecting mules. The film starts out with a burst of violence and two deaths in the first minute. Don Siegel always came through; great noir. (7.7 out of 10)

2. Carol Reed's Night Train to Munich (The Criterion Collection), somewhat tongue in cheek film about attempts to smuggle some German dissidents out of Germany via a British double agent. This was filmed in '39, released in '40; apparent that the horrors of all that was about to happen in WWII were not completely understood. Strange little slice of time, low budget models, but, again, fun to watch. This, too, was a good movie, but nowhere's near as fantastic as Reed's later "The Third Man." (6.9 out of 10)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 7:03:34 AM PDT
Love the Beast (2009)

Documentary featuring Eric Bana. Story revolves around the love affair between Eric and his first car, a 1974 Ford GT Falcon Coupe. A few slow moving scenes, but otherwise worth the watch. 7/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:14:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 7:17:02 AM PDT
Emma gets a yes vote from me :) Eric Bana!!! :))))

Edit - just looked at IMDb...
Jeremy Clarkson....
:(((((((

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:26:31 AM PDT
What's wrong with Jeremy? I adore him. POWER!!!!!!!

The scenes with Jay Leno and Jeremy Clarkson are rather short and can be looked over easily. Maybe 10-15 minutes of the total documentary.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 7:47:28 AM PDT
Trewthe says:
Re-watched Alien the other night, still as good as ever, the score is still just an unnerving as ever! 10/10

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 8:45:43 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Oh, I also saw "Prometheus" yesteday in 3D. I was alone in the theater. ALONE! Shocking.

Anyway, I liked this, but I think a lot of it was that I was overwhelmed by the 3Dishness of it. It was not disappointing, but later I felt like something was lacking and it was either my dislike of some of the supporting cast members (Rapace was interesting; Elba was good; Theron was great; Fassbender was fantastic; the rest were blah) the wholly improbable ending, or the lack of good creature effects. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it was better than most big budget things I see in the theater. I'd say like 6/10; I'm glad I saw in 3D and don't have to spend $25 on a non-3D bluray to see this movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:20:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 7:24:21 PM PDT
TS,

You rated 'Time of the Wolf' higher than I would have.
Yeah, Isabelle Huppert's always good, right? And she was at close to her best in 'The Piano Teacher'. That was my first Haneke, and while it's not one of my favorites, it still holds up to a second viewing.
For me both were under 6/10 movies.

My least favorite Haneke so far is the black and white period piece, the one that seems to have won the most awards, in fact!
The one called 'The White Ribbon', Yeah, I'd give that about a '4' out of ten.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 9:38:45 PM PDT
JB,
I was a little disappointed with 'Time of the Wolf'. Starts with a bang, but then kinda remains in whimper for the rest of the film. I guess what my rating says is that even though it was slow in getting nowhere, it still managed to retain my interest. 'The Piano Teacher' likewise, though for different reasons, mainly in that Huppert's character, and her slow reveal of her true nature, was fascinating. But Haneke plays that slow yet fascinating card in almost every film of his that I have seen. It's actually bloody clever....that keeping me hooked by dangling the bait just in front of my nose.

All that said, I STILL wanna gobble the bait in 'Cache/Hidden'! Give me the friggin bait!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 10:08:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 10:12:01 PM PDT
TS:>"I guess what my rating says is that even though it was slow in getting nowhere, it still managed to retain my interest."<

Yeah, that's something.
That's kind of why I gave 'Rocky Balboa' 1.5 instead of 0.5. It was one morbidly compelling train wreck from the start (unfortunately, it started off with a sputter, and keep sputtering further downward throughout!)... I could have sworn someone else (besides the wife) was going to eat it by the end. No such fate.

I think Michael Haneke would be so appalled at me watching all of any post-'Rocky' Stallone movie!
To make it up to the invisible hand of Haneke (with remote in hand, poised on the «« button) I've listened to "Who Killed Davey Moore?" three times today. . .

"Who killed Davey Moore
Why an' what's the reason for?...

"Not us," says the angry crowd
Whose screams filled the arena loud
"It's too bad he died that night
But we just like to see a fight
We didn't mean for him t' meet his death
We just meant to see some sweat
There ain't nothing wrong in that
It wasn't us that made him fall
No, you can't blame us at all"

Who killed Davey Moore
Why an' what's the reason for?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 10:11:03 PM PDT
Oh, by ze way, 'Cache' and 'Code Unknown' are my fav Haneke's. Let's see how you like them... I mean, how they fare in your house (you may hate them, but seeing as how you were well impressed by 'Funny Games', I don't think 'Cache' would shock you much!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 10:27:13 PM PDT
Oh, no, I've seen 'Cache'. What I meant was, Haneke dangles the bait (of who is behind the tapes) and Never lets us bite it. The whole film, I was on the edge of my seat, waiting for the reveal, but....Not that this ruins the show for me or anything, or even that WHO was exactly behind the tapes is even the point of the film, but he does leave that tidbit open by the end, and I still do want that bite. Was it Majid? Or his son? Or who?

I'd prob give 'Cache' 9.1/10. So far, the best Haneke I have seen (with 'Funny Games' running a close second). I've yet to see 'Code Unknown'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 10:38:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 10:39:11 PM PDT
Ah, I've got it! I hope 'Code Unknown' don't disappoint.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 8:59:14 AM PDT
PJ says:
Last great movie I saw was 12 Angry Men with Henry Fonda.

The amazing thing is this entire movie takes place in one room, no special effects, no car chases, no slight of hand, just 12 men debating a murder case. Loved as how the day went on, each man came to their own realization. 10/10

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 1:15:51 PM PDT
D. Larson says:
Hey, we saw "Safe House" just last weekend. Denzel was OK, he's always OK. Ryan (Gosling? Phillipe? Reynolds? One of those, I forget which) was a pretty bland cipher (which, to be fair, might have been the point of his character).

Nice car crashes and a lot of them, a decent explosion, some gritty Capetown backgrounds that looked authentic enough. But too much shaky-cam, and too many implausible shootouts. Did you see that Mythbusters segment on how long it really takes to empty a Mac-10 clip? Or an AK clip, or an Uzi clip? Two seconds. Really, they're all about two seconds per magazine.

And some plot holes big enough to steer a Range Rover through. It was an OK action chase thriller, and a good workout for your surround speakers and subwoofer. But as forgettable as yesterday's Family Circus, and about as original.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 8:23:13 AM PDT
bella7 says:
Sloany,

I also enjoyed "The Visitor"...it's a good story. And, yes, I too am a bleeding heart. : )

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 8:52:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 2:34:45 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
I've developed this strange VHS addiction over the past year. More than ever, you can find VHS in good shape, supercheap, everywhere. I've picked up so many odd and rare things over the past year and my VHS collection has ballooned exponentially. With that said, I have a couple of those old tvs (you know from a couple of years ago before they got all flat) with standard full screens...so watching VHS on those, if the pan and scan isn't so bad, is quite a nostalgic treat.

The other day I watched The Blob [VHS], Steve McQueen's first real leading film role in '58. He's supposed to be a teenager, I know he wasn't in that film, but did he ever look young? Anyway, one of my five favorite actors. Love the theme song; mindless fun is this movie. Makes me yearn for a time when movies had to be about stories, whether narrative or visual, due to technical constraints. These filmmakers, especially on small budgets, had to be really inventive. Film was more of an art. 'Tis technology killed the beast! (6.5/10 for inventiveness and fun)

Watched this yesterday on VHS: Queen of the Damned [VHS]. Sort of a retelling of "Interview with a Vampire" of sorts as it is based on Anne Rice's stuff. In any event, these types of films marked the beginning of the end for the vampire in mainstream cinema from "Nosferatu" to sparkly highschool boyfriend. Still enjoyable enough for the fifty cents I spent to watch and have this on the shelf. The vampires are romantic (yuk), but at least they still burn and kill, eat beating hearts and are depressed, not just emo. (5.1/10 just better than half) EDIT: I was too generous. It's more like 1/3 or 3.33/10. Sorry.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 12:48:26 PM PDT
Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade (2007)

Documentary featuring the video arcade game era in its heyday. Specifically the story revolves around the 1982 Video Game World Champions. How they came to be and where they are now. It was weird, creepy, funny, and sad... but oh so interesting.

7/10
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
One Degree of Separation - Season Three 9138 2 minutes ago
Why have so few great science fiction novels been made into films? 687 11 minutes ago
Movie Game! 10 movies where... continued! 6315 12 minutes ago
The top ten anything thread 4954 42 minutes ago
Your Favorite Saturday Night Live Skit(s) 13 1 hour ago
NO THANKS: The most memorable passes on great roles 172 2 hours ago
Directors Who Have Made Both Fiction Films & Documentaries 16 3 hours ago
British detective series--film and TV. Colonials welcome as well. 8142 3 hours ago
Alibi Lounge II: Cast Iron 1411 4 hours ago
More Reviews of the Last Movie You Watched 6908 4 hours ago
Revenge of the World's Worst Discussion Thread...Ever! 2001 5 hours ago
Even More Ratings of the Last Movie You Watched 373 7 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  201
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  17 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions