Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 12:00:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012 12:06:39 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: " One flaw that stands out: "

That it's about Disco and it has Disco music in it?

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 12:06:20 PM PDT
stevign says:
Snowphish Grimsrud: Live From Mars:

I noticed the photo of you and your daughter in your Profile. Is it safe to assume you paid quite a bit extra for a really cute baby?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 12:07:46 PM PDT
stevign says:
They have free donuts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 1:08:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012 1:11:33 PM PDT
H: And I repeat my retort from the other thread as well.

Hikari: I see that you say nothing about the substance of the review.

You are ignoring one important point: Dexter certainly did have a background in the ancient universities--but he didn't write Endeavour. So that any remark about Dexter is completely irrelevant--it is his character, true, but not his plot. And I was saying nothing about any other episode--only this one. Russell Lewis is the culprit in the bar--and guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

Why be a bit extensive? Simply, because that was the way to reveal what a mess Endeavour is. And I didn't even cover all of the non sequiturs in the plot. Another one--where did the phone number written on the victim's hand come from?

There are good mysteries set in the groves of academe--good novels as well. Endeavour simply isn't one of them. No matter what its setting might be--it fails on the basis of the most elementary values of logic and construction. And where did I say a word about Midsomer Murders?

Try improving your knowledge of the academic novel. Try some CP Snow, for starters. Or JIM Stewart.

Neither Cambridge, nor Oxford, are depressing places. They are among the most stimulating places on the planet. Not immune to mayhem, to be sure--but mayhem set in any place needs to be plausible. Gaudy Night is plausible. Endeavour is not.

I am left with the impression that the sentimental attachment to Morse's character is the primary draw. And that, my dear, is not enough. Not by a long shot.

You really don't understand the mystery genre very well, I fear. Or the ancient universities. Or the groves of academe.

As for Kacee: Her remarks don't even justify the dignity of direct response. The matter is between her, and her glands.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 1:16:28 PM PDT
Kacee says:
William,"As for Kacee: Her remarks don't even justify the dignity of direct response. The matter is between her, and her glands."

LOL, xoxox

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 2:04:08 PM PDT
Hikari: I do so love your constant accusations--either direct or oblique--that I lack "humanity". And your remark, which I quote directly: "Especiallly that bit about 'mawkishly sentimental attachment to the character of Morse'. I have no rejoinder to that except to say that attachments are by their nature sentimental and without them, we lack a core element of our humanity."

Attachments to unattainable objects that, in turn, suppress the ability to make sensible critical judgements are nothing to be proud of and have nothing to do with "a core element of our humanity".

I suggest that you and Kacee start a new thread: British TV personalities I lust for. No one will then mistake what you say for analysis.

And as to the little squib about negative reviews: as usual, you speak without a basis in fact. I haven't kept tabs, but I suspect that my reviews run 80% or so positive. Too much work to do negative ones, although sometimes one feels an obligation to do so--if only for the sake of balance. I was genuinely curious about Endeavour, or else I would not have taken the trouble to watch it.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 2:04:11 PM PDT
I'm watching The Bridge on the River Kwai right now, and I'm taking a break to post this. I'll have a full review later, but overall it's my second time seeing the film, and it certainly ranks as one of the ten best war films ever made.

10/10

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 2:41:57 PM PDT
stevign says:
What's this about "retort"? Did some file a tort, loose it and now they have to retort? This thread sure is gettin' complicated!

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 2:55:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 7:23:35 AM PDT
stevign: Ah, Truth, while it is mighty and will prevail, is rarely pure and never, ever, simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 2:58:29 PM PDT
stevign says:
Well don't stop now, simply what?

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 3:51:38 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
...simpla...simple...simpli....simplo...simplu....and sometimes simply or simplw.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 5:45:43 PM PDT
Jersey Girl says:
Ted. This was so hilarious!! I haven't laughed this much during a movie in forever!!!!! 9.5/10!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 6:54:18 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
MG, H,
Howdy doody!
The idea for this thread was born out of a need for more movie talk. Random movie talk. The intention of this thread was to provide a place for people to say "I just watched [insert film], and I liked it/disliked it", without the need for a review. A less daunting thread, so to speak. I know from my perspective, I felt the need for such a thread. I was going to call it "The Last Movie I Watched Was....", but then I thought this may lead to just titles being listed, and I wanted to encourage some form of opinion, be it only a rating, or whatever people want to write.

The two threads can co-exist. They have done for a couple of weeks now. This thread is just the little brother, the one where we can say as little as we want and know that that is the purpose here. Conversely, you can say as much as you want too. In essence, this thread exists for the simple purpose of telling us what you have been watching without the need to review.

@Ginge
Yar, I be a member of the auxiliary wing of Ginge known as the 'Strawberry-Blonde Panthers'. Though not on the top floor alongside the 'Orangutangs', and the 'Red Pandas', we do play an important role in spreading the ginge-gene, and laying out the path for future world dominance. My message is simple: Be nice, for one day we will rule you all!

PS: Yep. She's a cutie. Get's away with murder because of it. Spirited little lass, she is :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 6:56:23 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Only a little extra. The rest....is her mums genes. Marry a Papuan!

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 6:58:26 PM PDT
Severin says:
Just finished watching "The Wall" again. It's film art that you don't get much of these days. I love the opening shot, the long pan up the hotel hallway about a foot off the floor, going under the foot of the maid, the war scene, etc. A lot of attention went into this film.
I feel for the war orphans who had to grow up without a father figure but I find it hard to sympathize with a spoiled rock star who sees himself as a neo-nazi. We all have our walls, they can be good things but not to the point of total isolation. I can't decide if I'd like to give Roger Waters a hug or slap him in the face and say, "Get over it!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 7:20:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012 7:20:28 PM PDT
Toby:
Thanks for the explanation, my friend. I was curious.
From one ginger (strawberry blonde) to another,
MG

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 7:21:53 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "The idea for this thread was born out of a need for more donuts"

I KNEW it!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 7:25:53 PM PDT
stevign says:
Roger Waters has needed a lot of slapping around for years. I suggest you start slapping now and I'll check back with you in a few years to see if you need to continue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 7:28:51 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
No worries. I don't want to kill the review thread, just offer an alternative, you know. Hopefully folks will still write and post reviews. And hopefully all the forumites who don't want to write reviews will swing by here and tell us what they're watching.

We wanna know, ya'll!

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 7:34:10 PM PDT
MOVIEFAN says:
9/10 Mamas Boy it was funny but i could have had a better plot!

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 3:11:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 3:12:23 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Carl Franklin's One False Move

A film that flows smoother than the foxtrot, even with the often brutal and confronting violence. A smart film across the board, which is nice to see in a 'good guys after the bad guys' film. Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton (scripted by) are on song, as is Cynda Williams (who? why isn't she a star? where is she now?). An excellent film showcasing the skills of all involved, not least the director, Carl Franklin. 8.6/10

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 7:21:07 AM PDT
stevign says:
Excellent movie but one not too many people have seen. Carl Franklin also directed and wrote the screenplay for "Devil in a Blue Dress" starring Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle and Jennifer Beals.

Cynda Williams was in Spike Lee's "Mo' Better Blues" (her 1st movie) a couple years prior but after One False Move she did mostly TV movies and then kind of dropped off the map after 2006.

[Wiki]
"She has been married three times. Her first marriage was to actor Billy Bob Thornton from 1990 until 1992. She then married actor Arthur Louis Fuller in 1993 before divorcing in 1998. Her current marriage is to former college football star and television producer, Roderick Plummer, whom she married in 2001."

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 7:29:52 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Over the weekend I watched three movies:

Bindlestiffs - A friend of ours produced and had a cameo role in this very low-budget film. The raunch factor was hilarious.

New Year's Eve - I actually loved this film. Went into it expecting the worst because of all the universally negative reviews, but it was actually a light-hearted and fun film. During the ending credits, it shows bloopers including one that refers to director Garry Marshall's prior ensemble-comedy, Valentine's Day. So...

Valentine's Day - Also got horrible reviews, and it was also quite enjoyable. I liked it more than New Year's Eve, actually.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 7:59:31 AM PDT
bella7 says:
Hi stevign,

"Devil in a Blue Dress" was a good movie, based on the awesome Easy Rawlins books by the gifted writer Walter Mosley.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 1:01:16 PM PDT
stevign says:
I agree, I thought it was great and Don Cheadle was outrageously funny as "Mouse". It also gave Jennifer Beals a chance to redeem herself and she took full advantage of it.

Mouse: "You said don't shoot him, right? Well I didn't; I choked him. If you didn't want me to kill him, why did you leave me alone with him?"
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  189
Total posts:  8949
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  53 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions