Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The top ten anything thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2015 6:37:51 PM PST
What about Gale Snoats?

"You never leave a man behind!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2015 4:42:19 PM PST
This list calls for an emergency task force meeting! Sharpton-Man will know what to do.

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 4:01:58 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Top Ten Things That Make Me Angry
1. Politicians
2 The Media
3. Automobile Mechanics
4. Doctors
5. Lawyers
6. Loud Bass Speakers in cars or in houses
7. Arrogant, Rude, Unnecessarily Agressive Cops
8. Liberals
9. Anti-Hunting, Anti-Gun Owner people
10. Those who believe that being politically correct is good for this country.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2015 12:57:04 PM PST
Tony says:
Don't enable a response from the movie forums mental health patient. It' just not worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2015 11:44:39 AM PST
TIM says:
The whole idea of top TEN lists just eludes you doesn't it. But I digress.

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 10:36:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2015 10:37:17 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
So as it stands, I have actually seen quite a few films in 2014. The verdict, of course, was that the vast majority of them were rather good; the next most notable batch consisted of some rather mediocre affair, and I managed the incredible task of seeing 47 movies last year alone. It will soon be at least 48 since The Seventh Son technically premiered in France last December making it a 2014 film. Still, the odds of that film making my top ten best of last year is marginal at best. Here they all are and the ratings I gave them (note that four of these films were skipped; three as they are on standby for a future review; the fourth isn't even out in U.S. cinemas yet.

1. Robocop: 2 out of 10.
2. The Lego Movie: 6 out of 10.
3. The Monuments Men: 7 out of 10.
4. Mr. Peabody & Sherman: 6 out of 10.
5. The Grand Budapest Hotel: 10 out of 10.
6. Noah: 5 out of 10.
7. Muppets Most Wanted: 3 out of 10.
8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 8 out of 10.
9. Veronica Mars: 7 out of 10.
10.Divergent: 1 out of 10.
11.The Amazing Spider-Man 2: 7 out of 10.
12.Godzilla: 7 out of 10.
13.X-Men: Days of Future Past: 8 out of 10.
14.A Million Ways to Die in the West: 3 out of 10.
15.22 Jump Street: 8 out of 10.
16.Transformers: Age of Extinction: 6 out of 10.
17.Guardians of the Galaxy: 9 out of 10.
18.The Expendables 3: 6 out of 10.
19.Birdman
20.The Boxtrolls: 6 out of 10.
21.Nightcrawler: 9 out of 10.
22.Top Five: 9 out of 10.
23.The Imitation Game
24.The Theory of Everything
25.Gone Girl: 9 out of 10.
26.Alexander's Terrible Day: 2 out of 10.
27.The Book of Life: 5 out of 10.
28.Fury: 7 out of 10.
29.John Wick: 8 out of 10.
30.Big Hero 6: 8 out of 10.
31.Interstellar: 4 out of 10.
32.American Sniper: 9 out of 10.
33.Selma: 4 out of 10.
34.Beyond the Lights: 0 out of 10.
35.Dumb and Dumber To: 2 out of 10.
36.The Hunger Games: Mockingjay--Part 1: 1 out of 10.
37.Paddington: 7 out of 10.
38.The Penguins of Madagascar: 6 out of 10.
39.Horrible Bosses 2: 0 out of 10.
40.Wild: 8 out of 10.
41.Annie: 7 out of 10 (on a so-bad-it's-good scale).
42.Into the Woods: 9 out of 10.
43.Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb: 5 out of 10 (though it feels like a 2 on offense).
44.Exodus: Gods and Kings: 1 out of 10.
45.The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: 8 out of 10.
46.The Gambler: 1 out of 10.
47.Unbroken: 7 out of 10.

48.The Seventh Son: To be Announced.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2015 1:17:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2015 1:18:24 PM PST
Tony: Spike Lee is a cynical provocateur with lots of technique--a more intelligent Al Sharpton working in the entertainment industry.

I detest his work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2015 1:16:50 PM PST
Tony: Austen's character's don't have conflicts? That's the entire point of Pride And Prejudice.

Realism is only a style, not a requirement. Austen's work is completely realistic, in being quite true to her times and places. Since realism as a style has largely usurped its initial meaning as verisimilitude, I tend to prefer that word, or plausibility.

My, my, you do like the gloomily psychological mystery writers, don't you? (I really don't need anomie in my reading, thanks.) The best of all mystery writers, in my view (excluding always Conan Doyle, the fons et orgio of the modern detective story along with Poe), are Rex Stout and Dorothy Sayers, with Christie and Ngaio Marsh close behind. Among modern writers, Robert Barnard and Sarah Caudwell, who only wrote five novels, which are almost sui generis, but as good as the best of Stout, Christie, and Sayers.

I don't think you can compare Maugham and Christie--different genres, different audiences. At her best, Christie is almost untouchable, and does generally play fair with the reader. In which Christies do you find the resolution unsatisfactory? (I've read nearly all of Christie over time.)

If anything, Davies' Cornish Trilogy is even better than the the Deptford. It's a nice question as to whether The Manticore or The Lyre Of Orpheus is more of a technical tour de force.

As for research--too much is always better than too little.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2015 9:44:02 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2015 10:03:58 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2015 9:18:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2015 9:33:12 AM PST
Tony says:
WAS: I would agree with you on both films. In the latter, the logistics of many of the situations in the film that are so called "social commentary" are logically porous. There were some astute observations and insights in that film though, and it's also well-made technically and even script-wise. Spike Lee is professor and artistic director at NYU, is pretty intelligent, and knows how to make a movie; he just comes out of a time and place where there was a lot of racial tension and let's his emotions get the best of him when writing the screenplays for his films.

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 9:32:38 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Top 10 most pointless stories:

1. So I went to a bar. I ordered a couple glasses of beer. I noticed this shot chick; she was giving a bj to another bartender. I asked the bartender, "Why is that hot chick giving the guy a bj in public?" And that was when the bartender told me, "I'm in Vegas. Don't you know that prostitution is legal here?" I then responded, "I know prostitution is legal in Vegas, but I live in Colorado." The bartender then told me, "Oh, really? What part of the city?" I responded, "This part. Fact is, we're not in Vegas. Not sure if you know that, but we are both currently in Colorado." The bartender then told me, "The bar's name is Vegas. Under my rules, prostitution is legal." I called the cops, and when they got there, they asked me what was going on. I turned around, and ran into the Vegas bar, going, "Ow, my b@21$"

2. So I was on a plane once, and while I flew quite a few times early in on my childhood back when my dad was in the Airforce, and a couple more times after that; once after he left; again after he got a new job in Pennsylvania, and a round trip back here to Colorado for a wedding. When I left Pennsylvania indefinitely to permanently stay in Colorado, my mom took us on a road trip through the following states: West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas before finally arriving in Colorado. Aside from a hotel and church in Indiana and Illinois, as well as a hotel in Kansas, we never really stopped by some famous landmarks and looked around. That was because it wasn't really a vacation; it was a 3+ day moving day.

3. So I went into a bar one night. It was a very dark night. A shady-looking guy sat right next to me at the bar. I turned to him, wondering what is it he was planning to do. He asked me in a grisly voice, "Do you have any change?" I asked him, "What for?" The shady guy answered, "I need to call my butler for a ride, but I don't have any change." I noticed his body covered in blood, and I asked him, "What is going on?" When he replied, "I'm Batman."

4. What exactly was the point with Rain Man?

5. Blah, blah, blah! Blah, blah, blah, blah! Blah blah blah? Blah, blah! Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! ....Blah....

6-10. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

There, I'm done!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2015 9:14:41 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Tony: You know? There's only one petition that I can think of that actually succeeded, and it was to get something rather than get rid of it. It was called Project: Rainfall, and the idea was to bring three Wii titles that were at one point, exclusive to Japan and eventually given a release in Europe. It succeeded in bringing two games to the USA at a point where the console was pretty much dead already: The Last Story, and Xenoblade Chronicles; the third game, however, never saw a US launch, however, but that's besides the point.

The point being, good luck on your attempts to have me kicked off. I can get a little rambling in my comments at times, I'll admit it. But you come across more as an arrogant, pretentious little +vv@+ yourself. Even if you convinced the vast majority of the users here on this particular forum to hound me out (there's no way you're going to get everybody to join you, since there are still a select few on here that respect me, and a few others that can at least tolerate me), I still won't go away. And if you somehow, in some way, manage to get my account banned, I'll still create a new one. Not as a sockpuppet account, but as a new replacement account instead. I thought about leaving, but you gave me motivation to stick around.

The only way you will be rid of me aside from me dying is if you go leave the forums yourself and go elsewhere. But knowing you, you probably won't do that. But here's the next best thing: If I am that big of a pest to you, just put me on ignore and let it be done with. Simple as that!

Oops, I rambled again! Oh, wait! I might as well do so anyways since you apparently hate it so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2015 8:50:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2015 11:52:53 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2015 8:42:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2015 1:22:17 AM PST
Tony says:
WAS: How large-scale a novel is if irrelevant to me--that's actually a bad approach for most writers to take because only a few of the best writers can handle a large canvas without coming off as unfocused. As I said before, Austen is a fine writer, she just doesn't impress me as much as some other writers, and I don't find her characters or her subject matter to fit my taste. Another problem I had before is that none of the characters had any inner or outer conflict about anything, no doubt, stress, anxiety, and etc. And I don't buy that in allegedly realistic fiction. Thackeray's Vanity Fair I really liked(contained an excellent antagonist).Trollope I quite like(Can You Forgive Her, The Way We Live Now), although the length of his novels usually keeps me from returning to him. In my opinion Dickens is the best and most versatile of the lot. All of his novels(and Faulkner's for that matter, although he's heavy on philosophy) had a bit of everything(political intrigue, melodrama, comedy, social commentary) and created worlds that enveloped us with their ambiance and populated them with colorful, intriguing, uniquely voiced, peculiar, and sharply seen characters. I don't think anything tops Bleak House. Agatha Christie's stuff isn't the type of mystery I usually go for, I like some of it, although she cheats in her novels sometimes. For example, she will sometimes allow a plot to be resolved just because Poirot has 'a gleam in his eye', or whatever, and you'll realize that he knew something we didn't. I prefer more flesh and blood characters, a little more at stake, a little more anomie. My favorite mystery writers are Ruth Rendell, Sarah Waters,PD James, Alex Marwood(she's new but excellent).

It's a shame a slightly above average writer like Agatha Christie gets much renown to this day, and a writer like W Somerset Maugham(who is a better writer than Christie) has faded into obscurity even though he was the highest paid writer at one point. Austen's letter seems like very useful advice for a writer and it's what Stephen King has talked about too, which is to write what you know and are familiar with. Do you think too much researching is bad for a fiction writer?

I might give "Emma" a whirl(I've only read P&P and S&S). I quite enjoyed the 2005 adaption of P&P, and thought Keira Knightley played a good "Lizzie". I also remember the Gweneth Paltrow "Emma" being good. Another writer I discovered last year due to Roger Ebert mentioning him in one of his blogs was Robertson Davies. "The Deptford Trilogy" was excellent and isn't too internal a novel to be adapted to screen.

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 3:26:09 PM PST
No, you are wrong. Stereo instructions are much more interesting.

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 2:52:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2015 8:52:37 PM PST
Tony says:
I really wish Mike Gordon would stop posting his intolerably long winded comments all the time. They are about as interesting as stereo instructions; as sensible as a paragraph written by an illiterate.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2015 6:47:13 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
WAS: As far as a meaningful version of Annie goes, it doesn't get much better than the original comic strips. Simple as that. The musicals? All continuously silly, with the recent one just plain laughable.

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 3:10:02 PM PST
Rock: in re: Robby: well, in general someone who designs something for a film would be under contract or on salary, and anything he or she produces as a result of that contract or salary is what is call a work for hire, and belongs to the person who paid the contract or salary, unless the artist makes special provision to protect his or her intellectual property.

As a consultant, I take care to protect certain of my proprietary methods whenever I sign a contract.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2015 2:16:46 PM PST
Budas Root says:
You ruined my joke! I had to fix it...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2015 2:06:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2015 2:16:30 PM PST
Budas Root says:
"For awhile, the same thing happened to the creators of Superman."

Poor Jo-El!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2015 2:00:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2015 2:07:53 PM PST
Miami Nights says:
It seems similar to how the woman who created Hello Kitty didn't get anything more than her regular salary working for her employer. Look how big Hello Kitty has been over the decades, and not a penny of all those earnings went to the designer.

For awhile, the same thing happened to the creators of Superman.

The corporate world is full of such stories over the centuries.

Just as the house almost always wins in Las Vegas, the corporations do, too.

It seems to me that just about the only group of employees who overall are regularly paid what they should be are pro athletes. Their high pay reflects just how much the team owners and leagues make.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2015 1:06:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 23, 2015 1:21:04 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2015 1:02:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2015 1:11:11 PM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
"I read that he didn't make a dime off designed Robby the Robot, despite its iconic status over the decades."

Really? Wow. How is something like that even possible?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2015 12:56:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2015 12:57:23 PM PST
Miami Nights says:
Robert Kinoshita, who designed Robby the Robot for the Lost in Space TV show and designed robots for the movie Forbidden Planet, died recently, on Dec. 9 last year.

I read that he didn't make a dime off designed Robby the Robot, despite its iconic status over the decades.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2015 12:47:23 PM PST
The straight man usually grates on audiences more than the funny one of a duo.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 230 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  111
Total posts:  5748
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  12 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions