Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Has PC Ever Ruined a Movie For You?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 2:33:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 2:34:38 PM PST
stevign says:
I don't like to brag or anything but I can count all the way up to 23. I tried going even further but my teacher said I shouldn't embarrass myself any further.

"A man's got to know his limitations" ~ Dirty Harry

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 11:42:58 AM PST
Well, Bill, that one gave me a smile.

As well as pointing up one of the most absurd elements in an absurd film.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 10:24:21 AM PST
W.T. says:
PC's have ruined many movies for me, but it was the Mac's in Independence Day that really, really ruined that one. A Mac-induced computer virus takes out an alien armada?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 9:24:25 AM PST
I did great in algebra,and in geometry,till I fell a little behind,then
I was lost!Ending my math career.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 11:46:15 AM PST
Gordo: I'm always glad to hear when someone has a positive view of geometry, trig, and algebra. There is some interesting research that suggests that the best predictor of success in college work is taking geometry in high school--just taking it. Possibly because it is the only course in the standard curriculum that teaches formal logic.

A good friend who just did an early retirement from Pfizer was an English major as an undergraduate, but spent the better part of her career in IT. She always says that the most useful course that she took as an undergraduate was one on logic. Unfortunately, our educational system is very short on inculcating logic, and very long on encouraging subjectivity and a sentimental way of looking at the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:00:42 AM PST
Mike Gordan says:
WAS: Well, Geometry was kinda hit-and-miss. Aside from the fact that I hated my Junior year with a fiery passion--rivaling my 3rd and 4th grade years which was no easy feat--I had two different Geometry classes, having changed over into a different one in my second semester (in order to coordinate my schedule so that I went home early each and every day). My first semester, my teacher really didn't know how to teach the class and just gave us the work, not really instructing us on how geometry actually worked. My second semester, I had a different class and different teacher, and she gave us a rundown on all the basic fundamentals of geometry and how fascinating the subject can be.

Just to give you a bit of an illustration, I got a C in my first semester, and an A+ my second; the only time I ever half-arsed a class was when I was tricked into taking Environmental Science...and even then, I barely got the Science credit for it with a D- (I got a C+ in my final exam). As you can see, I didn't really give a crap about the subject matter, and I was extremely lazy in writing research essays (either that, or I simply didn't understand the concept). Every other class I ever scored less than a A in, I either struggled with a particular assignment or two, or the instructor just wasn't that good and his or her job.

Beyond that, many of my instructors have gushed over my brilliance and ''hard work'' when really almost my entire tenure at school was rather easy; it was my social life that was a nightmare (or maybe that's just the people around me). I simply did almost all of my homework in the cafeteria, the computer lab, or on the bus to or from home; really big projects and parental signatures were for the most part, it when it came to assignments and thus, everyone at home knew me for the kid with too much free time on my hands.

Oh, and back on subject for geometry, I really got into Trig and Algebra as well (both 1 and 2). So much so that I got a 4.0 in my senior year.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 7:40:48 AM PST
Gordo: Just out of curiosity, how did you like geometry?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 7:30:13 AM PST
Mike Gordan says:
WAS: Apparently, the math subject didn't suck when I was taught mathematics in grade school. Apparently, I've been a little too hopeful in vain that today's schools would have any redeeming value (fyi, I was taught how to do multiplication tables in my head, as well as most every form of basic math and arithmetic possible, as well as moderate spelling and their definitions).

I think I was one of only a select few in which my fifth grade class taught its class how to spell with the additional challenge of understanding their definitions; the spelling tests consisted of 30 words, and we were simply given the definitions for the word we needed to figure and spell out. And yes, I also got a ton of grammer and proper gramatical usage out of the exercise as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 7:16:14 AM PST
Gordo: Speaking as an enthusiast for mathematics--that subject is badly taught as well. Heck, if you eliminate necessary if tedious mechanics like memorizing multiplication tables, how will you ever learn to do arithmetic in your head?

The greater sin, of course, is failing to teach how very interesting mathematics is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:19:43 PM PST
stevign says:
Gordo:

I must admit I find the government's role in Education more than just troubling, more often than not it's down right ludicrous and even dangerous at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxSg2oRU6Bs&feature=related

http://www.akdart.com/edu3.html

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:17:06 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
WAS: The funny thing is too is that the only reliable school subject I've come across always seemed to be math--probably because you can't exactly bs the education of mathematics. And the funny thing is that--taking out of the equation that the so-called education system today is nothing more than a propaganda machine--they always preached about people's rights to an education even though it is required by law that all kids must attend school until they're 16? And if they drop out or settle for a GED, they can't get far in life at all?

Frankly, I don't see how there could possibly be a right to an education if you are forced to attend, the teachers go out of their way to make sure everybody in their classes graduate--no matter how stupid, lazy, or destructive they are--and any kid that doesn't go is taken away from their parents and thrown into foster homes!

If anything, all the more reason to shut down the Department of Education--and place as many blocks as humanly possible in our constitution banning the Federal Government from the regulating of such education.

Also note too that not only must Political Correctness die a swift, painful death, but so should the opinion card. People tend to treat so many things in life as just opinions and as such, we cannot criticize anyone without offending them--or being shut up by the opinion police. All the opinion card is is an excuse to blissful ignorance--and a refusal to adapt a more objective point of view.

*sigh* If only there was such a drug as MZT (only without the dangerous bugs) to make the whole world 100% aware, a la Limitless.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 1:37:07 PM PST
stevign says:
Political Correctness has ruined quite a number of sections in a movie for me and had me rolling my eyes thinking "Oh for the love of god, shove yer politics up your ass Hollywood and just get on with the damn movie".

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:58:46 PM PST
History, like many--dare I say most??--subjects is badly, and uncritically, taught in today's deplorable educational climate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:00:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 10:00:53 AM PST
theres history books that specialize in"revised history",or make it up,and hope people don't remember the real facts !

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 10:23:54 AM PST
Probably the most Orwellian thing about political correctness is re-editing the past. Disney, obviously, is guilty of this. Certain Warner cartoons of the WWII era are not available for the same reason.

I find the Gently example offensive, but in the different way. Contriving to put a gay element into the story, to set up a condemnation that needs to be refuted, is typical of the underlying attitudes in many of the modern British detective series. For an honest view of the issue in the 1960s, I would direct anyone to Victim, a fine film with Dirk Bogarde from 1961. Another example ofpolitical correctness taken to absurd extremes: characters of African origin in 12th century England in the recent Robin Hood series.

Really?

Really.

Most wildly improbable.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:01:46 AM PST
Hello, James. I've just found this thread and I'm rather proud of having inspired it! I've already had my say on PC in films and TV today, and as you've quoted me, I won't repeat myself. I'll just endorse Michael J Mason's comment about retroactive PC censorship on older material. This angers me much more because it's my past being mutilated by idiots for idiots.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 12:49:07 AM PDT
Balok,

I much enjoyed the Tom Lehrer lyric. Tom always sure to brighten any thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 8:20:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2012 8:21:51 PM PDT
BackToGood says:
I'd say "Dirty Harry" is a film that is non-PC that is one of my faves. I know it's pre-80s, but still, it is an extremely popular, iconic film that has several negative connotations in it that reflects an attitude that many did at the time (and unfortunately still do), so it remains relevant today. Even though "Harry hates everybody equally", the film itself has some serious provocative racial undertones. If Dirty Harry were re-done today (perish the thought!), these parts would definitely be taken out to sanitize the racial aspects and also to make the main character seem more "heroic".

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 2:30:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2012 2:32:22 PM PDT
Hikari says:
I recently encountered an example that didn't 'ruin' the piece, but it stood out because it was obviously a modern-revisionist view and not consistent with the period the film is supposed to take place in.

In "George Gently", series one, episode one, the grizzled veteran Detective Inspector George Gently, a man near retirement age or past it, takes his young sargeant to task for a candid remark displaying anti-gay bias. The setting is the North of England, circa 1964--a deeply conservative rural area, and in that time period, homosexuality was, in the eyes of the la, a crime. One could go to jail for having same sex relations. Yet, the senior copper, who's at least 35 years older than his subordinate suggests that maybe the sargeant could use a course of electorshock therapy to cure him of his homophobia. It just didn't ring true as something a man in his 60s in that time and place would have said or believed. Totally fits into our modern aesthetic, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 7:32:34 AM PDT
On the other hand, according to Mad Men, all men were pigs back then, so that gives them PC cred.

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 7:11:43 AM PDT
Just finished watching Inglorious Basterds (a pretty remarkable SF alt history film), and it is really amazing how un-PC that movie is. I remember when it was released that a lot of reviews criticized it because of those elements. You had Jewish groups that had problems with the portrayal of Jews in the film. Thing is a true artist can't be PC. Art itself is entirely anti-pc since anything can in theory offend someone. Likewise anything can be done in bad taste, but even that's subjective. Trouble is artists be they writer's, filmmakers, or whatever really have to be rather brave in their convictions because in these days going against the PC trend can do irreparable damage to a person's career. In the case of IG it's like just having the idea of nazi killing jewish soldiers was offensive from the start. In my opinion this generation is getting a lot of weak entertainment because of it.

On the other hand it is also amazing how society inculcates attitudes into a populace. I was watching an episode of Mad Men with a person somewhat older than myself who was aghast at a scene where a little kid was playing inside a plastic bag. Now I know that this person definitely remembers a time when most parents wouldn't have thought twice about their kids playing with a dry cleaning bag, but today that idea is very un-pc and obviously so is the portrayal of it eventhough it adds a reality of the period in which the story takes place. Thing is I don't know exactly who "they" are that determines what is PC and what isn't, but it is certainly giving films a very strange reality that is noticably different than the real world.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 2:36:35 AM PDT
Balok says:
@D. Larson:

> Because they need a fresh outrage every day or two to keep the audience interested, see. They call
> it research. I call it grievance collecting.

Plagiarize,
Let no one else's work evade your eyes,
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes,
So don't shade your eyes,
But plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize -
Only be sure always to call it please 'research'.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 11:21:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2012 9:21:30 AM PDT
Coach D says:
vivazappa: my thoughts exactly on Blazing Saddles [Blu-ray]. That movie does NOT get made in todays's PC world. To water it down takes so much away from the story. Yes it is a comedy, but Mel Brooks is making a statment thru his non-PC take on the wild west.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 10:10:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 10:11:27 AM PDT
D. Larson,
Very well put - thank you. I totally agree. I was beginning to think it's arguing for arguing's sake :)

The Top Ten thread is now turning a bit violent thanks to BadBoy :)

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 10:07:22 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
This discussion reminds me of radio talk show hosts, going through the New York Times searching for something to be outraged about.

Because they need a fresh outrage every day or two to keep the audience interested, see. They call it research. I call it grievance collecting.

And it's generally a waste of one's mental resources.

Is life really so long and time so cheap that we should waste it being angry about cuts to the Song of the South or expunging racist images from stuff nobody is watching anyway? Meh.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions