In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:38:23 AM PST
Hikari says:
A must-see:
BLACK ORPHEUS
Set in Rio during Carnival, a retelling of the Orpheus & Euridyce myth

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 9:12:39 AM PST
stevign says:
[What are some movies set in Brazil?]

Does the movie have to have a plot? Because when there are lots of tanned Brazilian babes in those tiny bikinis, it doesn't really require a plot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:31:48 AM PST
Balok says:
@Hikari:

> A must-see: BLACK ORPHEUS

We are the chorus, and we agree. We agree, we agree, we agree.

(As an added bonus, _Black Orpheus_ has one of the most beautiful -- and saddest -- movie theme songs ever)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 8:57:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 9:01:51 AM PST
City of God - If you liked "Goodfellas" then go ahead and buy this one instead of just renting...it's that good.

Central Station - A lonely retired teacher who writes letters for illiterate people in a train station for a few coins reluctantly helps an orphan who is in danger of being kidnapped into child prostitution. The last half of it becomes a kind of "on the road quietly getting to know each other" story. This one will really pull at your heartstrings as it's totally believable.

Motorcycle Diaries - Takes place in almost every country in South America. Don't read any plot summary of any kind and you will enjoy the ending more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 9:05:18 AM PST
Hikari says:
@Balok
I saw "Black Orpheus" for a course in college on world cinema and I have never forgotten it. It looks like it has been released in a Criterion edition.

@James
Okay, not to take a shizz all over the masterpiece that is 'Black Orpheus', but I'm adding this one as a counterpoint piece to it, also set in Rio, during Carnival. Call it 'from the sublime to the ridiculous': Wild Orchid starring Mickey Rourke and Carre Otis. Even the names sound vaguely similar. But other than the setting in Rio, they have zero in common, including anything that really could be remotely called 'acting' or 'plausibility' in the latter. But there's some nice stuff to look at in both. You asked.

Wild Orchid

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:14:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 4:17:40 PM PST
I forget now, was Hitchcock's "Notorious" set in Rio?
There's a lightweight but very fun one, Phillipe de Broca's "That Man From Rio" from 1964, starring Jean-Paul Belmondo and Francoise Dorleac, that's basically a chase from Paris to Rio to Brasilia to the Amazon jungles.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:49:27 PM PST
stevign says:
The Boys from Brazil (1975)

The Emerald Forest 1985)

The Mission (1986)

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:04:50 AM PST
Georgedc says:
"2 Girls 1 Cup"

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:44:42 AM PST
Balok says:
_Cobra Verde_ is partially set in Brazil
Some of _Fitzcarraldo_ was filmed in Brazil, but I can't remember if it's actually supposed to take place there (most of the action is set in, and was filmed in, Peru)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:11:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:12:55 AM PST
Hi stevign,

The Boys from Brazil has virtually nothing to do with Brazil. There's a brief mention that the boys were transported to their destination on a VARIG airplane. VARIG was a major Brazilian airline founded in 1927 by Otto Ernst Meyer-Labastille, a German immigrant who had been a WWI decorated aviator. That's all long before the Nazis.
As far as places where the movie was shot, according to its own movie credits none were in Brazil.
Mengele is shown in Paraguay several times, so maybe they should be called boys from Paraguay instead.
The movie is pretty good, though, specially the final scene portraying the moral confrontation between old man Nazi hunter Erza Liberman (Lawrence Olivier) and a younger Nazi hunter. The right one wins!!

Regards.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:33:23 PM PST
stevign says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:41:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:42:21 PM PST
Hi Balok,

Fitzcarraldo begs the question as to what Mr. James Cleveland means by "What are some movies set in Brazil?".
Stories set in what is known as Brazil today AND filmed on location?

As you mentioned, parts of Fitzcarraldo were filmed in Brazil. More precisely, in Manaus, which is the capital of the Brazilian state called Amazonas. However, as you said, the story takes place in the Peruvian side of the Amazon basin.

By the way, the "filmed on location" can be misleading. In Bossa Nova (an excellent movie) almost every interior scene shows a window overlooking Rio's beautiful ocean/mountains landscape. Even when the lady is in the hospital, her room has an ocean view. Yeah! Everybody in Rio has a room with a view of the ocean! LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:35:42 AM PST
Balok says:
@THE Average Joe:

> Fitzcarraldo begs the question as to what Mr. James Cleveland means by "What are some movies set
> in Brazil?".

This term "begs the question." I don't think that it means what you think it means.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:12:52 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:28:45 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 11:30:49 AM PST
Nelson Pereira dos Santos' How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman(1971). In late 1500s a Frenchman is captured by a tribe of Brazilian indians. He's left with two choices: to be assimilated culturally by becoming one of them OR to be assimilated physiologically, i.e., they may eat him, since they are anthropophagites.
There's lots of nudity because those indians didn't use clothes. However, there's none of the typical annoying erotic exploitation one sees in movies these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 12:19:25 PM PST
stevign says:
Judging from the title, I doubt we need guess which option he took. I heard Frenchmen are a bit stringy and taste like nicotine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 3:48:33 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Re: Nelson Pereira dos Santos's 'How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman'.

Good choice. I'd go with anything by dos Santos, my favorite Brazilian director. 'Barren Lives' is probably his finest work.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 4:45:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 4:46:49 PM PST
I would recommend Barren Lives to be watched in tamdem with John Ford's The Grapes of Wrath. Both are novels adaptations. Both deal with a family struggling during hard economic times. Part of the watching as I suggested is that it will highlight the difference between being poor in a richer country versus in a poorer one. The Americans migrate on an old truck driven on Route 66. The Brazilians do so on foot on virtually no roads.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions