Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Texas Films.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 9:58:41 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
Anyone have a favorite film made in Texas?
TEXAS JUSTICE is very good.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 11:55:07 AM PST
Zolar Waka says:
Paris, Texas (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]; obviously not all of it was filmed in TX.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:45:58 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Mine is kind of a long one of favorites.

'A Perfect World'
'Resurrection'
'Hud'
'Raggedy Man'
'No Country For Old Men'
'True Grit'
'The Apostle'
'The Underneath
'Rolling Thunder'
'Appaloosa'
'Honeysuckle Rose'
'Arrowhead' (1953) - very good western.
'Waiting for Guffman'
'Bonnie and Clyde'
'Leap of Faith'
'Two Rode Together' (one of the few John Ford movies that was actually filmed in Texas)
'Square Dance'
'Rushmore'
'The Whole Wide World'
'Paris, Texas'
'Bernie' (2011)
'Race with the Devil' (1975)
'Back Roads' (1981)
'The Man Who Broke 1,000 Chains'
'The Alamo' (2004) - underrated, better than the John Wayne version.
'Leadbelly'
'Slacker' (1991)
'Blood Simple'
'Independence Day' (1983)
'Fast Food Nation'
'Baby the Rain Must Fall' (sort of a botch by Horton Foote, but it has a nice desolate location work and good performances by Lee Remick, Steve McQueen, etc.)
'Elvis and Anabelle' (above average TV movie)
'The Getaway' (1972)
'JFK'

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 1:27:11 AM PST
Balok says:
@JPB:

> The Getaway

I've never seen that one. Does it have the same incredibly sick ending that the book does?

And what do you have against Peter Bogdanovich, anyway?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 2:20:45 AM PST
J. Baker says:
When I was going through my Jim Thompson phase that was before I started watching Peckinpah movies, and I stopped short of reading this one, so not being sure what incredibly sick ending you meant, I had to hunt:

http://swiftlytiltingplanet.wordpress.com/2011/07/09/the-getaway-by-jim-thompson/

Answer found: no. They went with the Hollywood ending rather than the book's. And now I feel as if I must read this one.

Maybe Robert Evans forced them to rewrite it or he wouldn't allow Ali MacGraw in the movie and blackball Peckinpah from Hollywood?
More likely McQueen, who held final edit rights, scrapped the darker ending because he wanted it to end nicer for him and his new lover? Beats me.
Oh wait...
Here I am wasting time speculating when the answer was just to the right of this tab:

http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2012/08/the-getaway-an-appreciation-dennis-tafoya-thriller-jim-thompson-steve-mcqueen-adaptation

"The film retains the violent themes and general shape of the book, but actually tones down the brutality and misogyny. Thompson's ending, bleak and surreal, was rejected by Peckinpah and McQueen, who had the young Walter Hill rewrite Thompson's screenplay to give it a more upbeat finish."

Hmm. That doesn't sound like the Walter Hill I know, but I guess I'll take an unknown bloggers word for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 2:28:51 AM PST
J. Baker says:
Re: Peter Boggeddownabit,

Too bad 'Paper Moon' was shot mostly in the Kansas and Missouri locations described in the book it was based on. I like that a hell of a lot more than 'Last Picture Show' and 'Texasville'. It's got form, pace, authentic father-daughter chemistry, moreover it has Madeline Kahn.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:29:04 AM PST
Balok says:
@JPB:

[re: _The Getaway_]

> They went with the Hollywood ending rather than the book's.

You mean they escape? That would be *extremely* un-Thompson-ish.

> And now I feel as if I must read this one.

I thought that it was pretty good, but the ending (which I guess you've already read) is not what you're led to expect it will be and it's very, very, sick, even for Jim Thompson.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:30:37 AM PST
Balok says:
@JPB:

> moreover it has Madeline Kahn

Amen to that, brother.

Speaking of which, I hope that you're familiar with this classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2QmLWWxq4

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 3:05:33 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Re:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2QmLWWxq4

I thank you. I've read about this but forgot to look it up later. There it is. Now I just need to wait a few hours for it to load on my dial-up or head over to a cafe with wifi. I can't wait (but I have to, since my headphones finally died the other day!)

I was just thinking the other night about two actors that it took me a while to warm to, and when I did, suddenly they became great favorites: Madeline Kahn and Treat Williams. I know, Treat Williams - huh!? That's what I would have said ten years ago. Most underrated actor, drama and comedy, in modern Hollywood. Other than Albert, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 1:00:09 AM PST
Great list @J.P. Baker. Have you seen Lone Star or Giant? I barely remember the story in Lone Star but remember thinking it was well done and created a more nuanced view of Tex/Mex relations. Richard Linklater is probably the most successful filmmaker from Texas. Has anyone on this thread heard of the comic Preacher? A long (70 issues) hardcore violent, dark humor, modern day western about a Texan Preacher with supernatural powers who travel's America searching for God. He travels with his girlfriend a hit-woman, and an Irish vampire. Every once in a while the spirit of John Wayne shows up to give him advice. The antagonist is a cowboy angel of death called the Saint of Killers. Inspired by Eastwood's Man With No Name. Highly recommended if you can stomach the extreme violence and very negative portrayal of Christianity. (God has quit and the resurrection was faked in this version).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions