Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 8279 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2012 5:31:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 5:43:07 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
The last movie I watched was Russ Meyer's 'Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!'.

Wild, violent, funny, and chock full of SEXY!

7/10

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:55:38 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Romero's "The Dark Half"

Dark, nasty, and ultimately resistant to reason. Based on work by Stephen King, but written for the screen and directed by Romero. I can't get enough Romero.

7.5/10

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:09:51 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
ZW: "I can't get enough Romero."

That makes two of us.

I liked 'The Dark Half'. Romero did a good job of creating that eerie atmosphere, plus the adaptation was quite good. Sparrows scared me for days after watching it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:13:24 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
"Wild, violent, funny, and chock full of sexy", huh?

That fairly much describes the last movie I saw: The Grissom Gang, starring the luscious Kim Darby (er, not so much, it's more: wild, strangely erotic, funny, and chock full of VIOLENCE.)

Some day I'll give a real review. Grand movie. I'm a mad fan of Aldrich, and can you believe this is only my second time watching this one!?

9.4371 -out-of- 10.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:16:28 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
Zolar,
re: "7.5/10"
That too would be my rating for 'The Dark Half'. Such an underrated movie. That and 'Carrie' are the best King adaptations for me. And why hasn't Timothy Hutton had more of a career in movies?

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:20:33 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
I just don't get why Timothy Hutton went quiet. However, he was in a recent film or tv show or something and he was really good; very good actor. Also very impressive in "The Dark Half," to switch so convincingly between the somewhat twerpy dad/husband college professor to the slimy southern muscle-car drivin' psychopath.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:26:36 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Actually, though, I did watch another movie after "The Dark Half." It's a film noir by Edward Dymytrk (I have no idea how to spell that) called "The Sniper"; it's available in Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics I (The Big Heat / 5 Against the House / The Lineup / Murder by Contract / The Sniper). This was the 3rd of 5 movies from the set that I watched. I started with Fritz Lang's "The Big Heat" which was really good, but for some reason I don't remember it well. Yesterday, I watched "Murder by Contract" (which Scorsese cited as part of the inspiration for "Taxi Driver") but I just kind of had it on in the background.

But, "The Sniper" was good. Supposedly one of the earliest films to explore the mind of a serial killer. Running around the streets of San Francisco with a rifle, knocking off brunettes that remind him of his mother. There's even scenes of Psychology 101 (like early profiling) and criminal justice themes like punishment v. rehabilitation. Other than the fact that the movie could've benefitted from a bit stronger lead actor, I really enjoyed this. 7/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:30:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 6:32:14 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
By the way, great thread topic!!! I watch a lot of movies and can pretty much make up my mind and express myself about what I think about it in a sentence or two. Maybe this thread will lead us to things we might've missed that others have seen.

Enough with the "who's the best, the worst and most overrated?" and those ridiculous game threads. Now, if we can just keep those who want to talk about classical music or literature or themselves and show off about who's the smartest, who knows the most and stuff out of here, we are good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:36:45 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Cheers.
Yeah, I thought this would be perfect to get people talking about films, and perfect for finding the next movie to add to the list (I just added 'The Grissom Gang' and 'The Sniper').
No pressure to review, just a place where you can say "I watched this, and I rate it thus."

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:45:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 6:46:47 AM PDT
Kacee says:
I Am Number Four starring Alex Pettyfer. Another tidy performance by the wonderful Mr Pettyfer. I think he is building his resume slowly and surely. He plays the deep brooding type very well, and makes young and old ladies very happy.
It was a good film too and the ending was left open for a sequel.
6.5 out of 10

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 11:36:50 AM PDT
El Emmarino says:
Dead Snow (Tommy Wirkola)

Slasher horror comedy with Nazi-zombies! Absolutely hysterical.

7.5/10

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:14:29 PM PDT
Mickey Ryan says:
'Hobo with a Shotgun' starring Rutger Hauer.

Great homage to the exploitation cinema of the 70s.

7/10

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 5:52:48 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
John Sayles' 'Lone Star.

A deep, rich tapestry of themes all bound together under the guise of a whodunnit. Every aspect of this film is superb (or nearing it at least). ESPECIALLY Elizabeth Peña!

9.3/10

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:55:37 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
'Food' by Jan Svankmajer.

Just over a quarter-hour, existing in some particularly Svankmajerian netherworld between live action and animation. It's as unrepeatable, surreal, unforgettable, squirm-inducingly hilarious as anything you're likely to see. Most possibly inspired by Polanski's 'Mammals', although who knows.
Czech czech czech czech Czech it out, see what it's all about.
7¾/10

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:58:57 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Re: Elizabeth Peña

Delicioso, soulful, and still a beautiful woman. Another one of those 'what happened to them!?' actors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 11:11:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 5:44:35 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Yeah, Peña is frequently good....and frequently hawt!

Double bill saturday!

Robert Wise's Run Silent, Run Deep.

Excellent WW2 submarine flick. Gable seeking revenge against the Japanese who sunk him. Lancaster trying to keep Gable in line. Tense, virtually non-stop show.

7.4/10

Stephen Hopkins' Judgment Night.

Early 90's actioner with Emilio Estevez/Stephen Dorff/Cuba Gooding Jr/Jeremy Piven fleeing from baddies Dennis Leary/Peter Greene/Michael Wiseman/Everlast. Simple plot provides for simple enjoyment. Cuba Gooding Jr in good form, Jeremy Piven is typically annoying form, Dorff less annoying than usual, Emilio doing Emilio, and Leary in his semi-breakout role handles villain duties with his typical harsh comedic style. Dare I say the F word.....Fun.

6.9/10

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 4:38:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2012 6:37:09 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Mike "The Genius" Leigh's Vera Drake.

Typical Leigh, delving into the inner lives of the folk next-door. This one would surely be a "love it or hate it" film, not only for it's easy pace or ending, but for its subject matter and the admiration shown for Vera.

I always find Leigh films hard to rate. Hard up not to just give 'em all top marks...but that'd be madness!...8.2/10

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 4:17:23 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
I should have watched a Mike Leigh last night.
Instead, I tortured myself with all 102 grueling minutes of ...

'Rocky Balboa'.
I didn't see this when it came out, and was only vaguely aware of its existence and that some people liked it for some reason.
So... Rocky has apparently recovered 15 years later, unexplained, from the chronic brain traum (CSP) he was diagnosed with before in 'Rocky V' ("his damage being irreversible".) Alright, so it's a fairy-tale then...
Spoiled corn acting, fetid cheese script, mush-brained directing, scummy photography, amateur hour editing.
Oh, but this sack of meaty muscle sure can take a beating through the years. What an inspiration!
Basic self-cannibalizing regurgitation, and morbid nostalgia that goes nowhere unpredictable, making 'Rocky I' seem far simpler and stupider than it was.
That's the real crime of this mess, mangling his legacy of interspersing clips of the first 'Rocky' throughout. Bad call, Sty - er, Sly.
The kind of person who might find this "touching" would be the same kind who finds Walker: Texas Ranger "heartwarming." Unlike Walker, it's not so bad it's funny. All the funny/goofy-bad moments were left on the cutting room floor, briefly rescued in part in the deleted scenes.
I should have just watched the deleted scenes. They give me more than I needed.

1.5 / 10 (the 0.5 is for Geraldine Hughes, the Irish actress who plays Rocky's frumpy waif charity case, who tries her best not to disgrace herself with the increasingly imbecilic lines she's given. And her Philly accent is faultless throughout, s'far as I can tell.)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 8:56:21 PM PDT
Fanny and Alexander:

10/10. It really screwed with my brain in the most wonderful way.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 9:11:40 PM PDT
D. Robinson says:
Safe House with Denzel Washington. Completely underwelming, Denzel plays the bad guy role exactly the same as he plays all his bad guy roles. Weak attempts at character development, and I was able to walk away several times for five minutes at a time without losing any of the plot. Ryan Reynlds is miscast as a young CIA agent.

5/10 because it has a few ok action sequences.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 1:45:48 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Spot on! A walk down memory lane through the demented eyes of the Italian Stallion...all that corny dialogue...and the lighting! Half way through I considered putting on my sunglasses. Egad! Why Sly?

@JB review
Wooooooo-HOOOOOOOO!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:15:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 2:57:03 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
>TS: "...and the lighting! Half way through I considered putting on my sunglasses."<

Yeppp!

It was like an especially amateur TV movie version of the first (only really good) 'Rocky'. Listening to a few minutes of the commentary on the end fight scene, he bragged about how "realistic" it all was (ouch, he really got punched for realsies!) and how they chose to shoot in in High Def "just like HBO fights do" to lend it a more "authentic" and less theatrical, film-like look.

Yeah, well, I thought the whole thing looked like it was shot on low-grade digi-video tape....so, alright then..........

I did see his latter 'Rambo' in theater, and that was a slight improvement over senior-citizen-'Rocky' re-enactment/gurgitation.

It was violent to a repugnant level, I thought, although that did up the camp value, I admit.
And I bet it's one of those movies where a comprehensive "Making of... 'Rambo'" documentaries would be much more entertaining.

Here's part of the Sly details on shooting in the Burma jungle:

>>"While filming near Burma, Stallone and the rest of the crew narrowly avoided being shot by the Burmese military. Stallone described Burma as a "hellhole".
He said "we had shots fired above our heads" and that he "witnessed survivors with legs cut off and all kinds of land-mine injuries, maggot-infested wounds and ears cut off."<<

Oh, what a lovely Hollywood war!
Actually, that sounds sorta 'Tropic Thunder'-ish. Too bad it wasn't as funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:30:42 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Yeah...I liked 'Rambo' a fair bit more than 'Balboa' too, though the hellishly violent second half sent it all the way down into cartoon-ville (be it 'Happy Tree Friends' cartoon-ville). On one hand the film is trying to say something serious about the Burmese junta, but on the other it went comically overboard with the violence, making it near impossible to take seriously. Still, nowhere near as bad a film as 'Rocky Balboa'.

What's next for John Rambo? Iran? Sudan? Los Angeles?

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 2:34:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 2:37:39 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
Last thing I hope I ever say about 'Rocky Balboa' (2006)...

I'm reading this with my jaw almost on the ground: "The budget of the movie was only $24 million..."

*Only* $24 Mil -- uh --WHA!?!!?

Where did the budget go? Golden dumbbells? I guess he couldn't dole out much of the budget to hire a decent director of photography, or editor.
Holy hell, he must have given the actors plenty. Or, actor.

One of the best looking, best edited movies of the last decade, 'A Serious Man', only cost $7 million, and that was two years later, by an Academy Award-winning crew (for what it's worth...)
'Fargo' also cost about $7 million.

I'm not saying Stallone should have gotten Roger Deakins, but couldn't he have at least gotten someone better than the guy who shot 'Norbit'.... for $24 million smackers'?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:36:03 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
Yeah, if only they had John Rambo to help fight the aliens in 'Battle: Los Angeles'!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 332 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  187
Total posts:  8279
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  15 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions