Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Man of Steel

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 647 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 26, 2013 11:28:38 AM PDT
Hikari says:
For the opposite perspective on why Ben Will Be the Best Batman EVER!!!! . . .check out this rather fawning piece in Forbes by a guy who is obviously Ben's #1 fan. So much so that it sounds more than a little bit g@y.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2013/08/24/6-reasons-the-internet-is-wrong-about-ben-affleck-as-batman/

For the record, he actually enumerates 7 reasons, though "Ben Affleck is a great husband and father" is, while no doubt true, of very little bearing on his ability to play a dark and gritty superhero who's a bachelor with no kids.

I do not despise Ben Affleck. I'm just surprised that he'd want to play Batman *now*, after a decade spent rebuilding his career and reputation after the last time he played a superhero, or why he wouldn't rather direct Batman than be him.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 11:18:05 AM PDT
W.T. says:
I don't care what his accent sounds like. Just so long as somebody gets that boy some Claritin before filming starts. that nasally sound wouldn't be too intimidating...

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 11:10:29 AM PDT
Hikari says:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/ben-affleck-batman-casting-fandemonium-article-1.1434936
----------------------

Celebs Tweet their outrage (or support) of Ben Affleck as Batman.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 10:54:03 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
Yes, by being a very good Batman, he can flip off all those people who still snicker at him about Daredevil. "I gotcha superhero right here!"

Or, "Right hee-yah!"

Maybe he'll do it with the over-broad Bah-ston accent he attempted while robbing all those bah-nks in "The Town". That'd be a nice change from Bales' carefully annunciated bland American newsreader..

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 10:39:09 AM PDT
W.T. says:
I'm not optimistic about Affleck, but the Batman franchise has long been the place where actors prove skeptics wrong, from Michael Keaton to Heath Ledger. That may be why Affleck accepted the role. He can use all that good bat karma to bury the painful ghosts of Daredevil once and for all.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 10:35:00 AM PDT
I just can't imagine Gosling with dark hair. Even though he's older he could still pull off being a "babyface".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 10:10:14 AM PDT
Hikari says:
Gosling would have been a wild card all right. He is not my conception of Batman/Bruce Wayne at all, but at least he was on that list. Affleck has to be the bigger wild card since he was never allegedly even under consideration.

Of course, we now know that was a lie.

If we want somebody who would be a batting-for-the-fences Batman . . how about Joe Gordon-Leavitt, then? That would have been some buzz. Joe's a bit young, maybe . . but that would have been interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2013 9:56:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2013 9:57:18 AM PDT
Well either way it was still a surprise even though it's more like getting a gift you really didn't want. I'm going to be optimistic about it and reserve my opinion until the film comes out. Nothing is destined to fail or succeed until it actually does and I'm hoping for the latter.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2013 2:51:18 PM PDT
Tw Walton says:
Thing for me is .. we know he can do a good job, I actually liked the DD movie so I'm no hater, but I was hoping for more of a "wild card" surprise choice like Ryan Gosling or someone. IE , one who you wouldn't think could play Batman but would shock the world by making it work. With Affleck I know he can play a good vigilante and that makes it dull to me. Hoping for the best for the film though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2013 10:30:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2013 10:31:07 AM PDT
Hikari says:
@constant

Re. Ben Affleck is a liar

Do you think our ire shouldn't be better directed against Zack Snyder for the elaborate ruse he pulled on all the Batman fans with his bogus announcement at Comic Con? The way I see it, in 2006, Ben was drained after the Daredevil shoot, which wasn't without its problems . . getting the suit right was a process that took months, to name but one thing. After a 7-year hiatus from superheroes, Ben evidently changed his mind.

Zack Snyder told a porker a lot more recently than that, so maybe we ought to be mad at him?

Personally, I don't think it was a wise decision . . from the studio OR Mr. Affleck. Against most expectations, Ben has been able to break free of the symbiotic early connection to pal Matt Damon and fly on his own as a power player in Hollywood. With a scriptwriting Oscar and now, a Best Picture Oscar for Argo, which is the feather in the cap for ANY director, never mind a fledging director only on his third film, seems to me like Ben would find focusing on the behind-the-camera stuff to be more fulfilling. That seems to be more his niche, really. In front of the camera, what is he but a pretty face? He's not even the best actor in his own family . . .but with directing/producing/writing, he's able to be something special.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I think it represents a lost opportunity for Snyder and the Batfans to have seen what a more untested name could have done in the role . . .and for Ben, it feels like going backwards professionally. Sure, he'll get dumpsters full of money and press for it, but he's already got plenty of money and fame. It's a big "Ho-hum" from here.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2013 10:11:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2013 10:52:11 AM PDT
Huh............... I retract my previous statement then, but how long ago was Daredevil made? Plently of time for someone to have a change of heart.

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 8:19:14 AM PDT
Proof that Ben Affleck is a liar. (Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daredevil_(film) )

"However, in November 2006 Affleck stated that he would never reprise the role, having felt "by playing a superhero in Daredevil, I have inoculated myself from ever playing another superhero... Wearing a costume was a source of humiliation for me and something I wouldn't want to do again soon.""

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 7:17:46 AM PDT
You know after a couple of days of letting it sink in, I'm just going to be on the fence about Afleck as Batman. He's had a lot more experience since Daredevil so I'm going to do my best to not hold that against him.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 9:37:35 PM PDT
PlanetHell says:
Hm, Bane did cause trouble at the stock exchange, didn't he? Think your really onto something here...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 9:36:52 PM PDT
PlanetHell says:
I got to agree totally on Tim Burton's "city look," but his portrayal of character was awful, nothing but style and too much style in the sequel (Returns). But one would think Gotham should look "Gothic," not like Chicago or Neon Lights, though there could be some neon lights on a gothic scene (I've seen it, it's real).

If I made a Batman movie I'd be after basically what we saw out of the look of the first 2 Underworld films for the city, with the Nolan approach to character, and actual direct approaches more keen to the game Arkham City, just not quite that crazy-otherwise the films would be Rated R. We could totally use Harley Quinn on screen as well as a correct portrayal of Penquin, I mean c'mon-something is really wrong when the best version is from the silly 60's series (as far as live-action goes).

And I agree that Joker was a stronger villain than Ras. However, I think you are kind of missing Ras Al Ghul's point. He spoke of destroying Rome (we'll, members of the league of shadows in the past I quess). But he seemed to missed the Catholics during the crusades. It seems more like a pick out of the hat, or what they can handle. I don't really see him as someone who thinks Gotham is the worst city in the world, but I do think he kind of saw Bruce Wayne as the final puzzle piece. Then, of course his daughter and Bane will come back to finish what was started.

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 7:42:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2013 3:07:17 PM PDT
I agree with this about why Batman is going to be in the Man of Steel sequel.

http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/why-batman/

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 7:31:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2013 7:58:40 PM PDT
I'm in agreement with this blogger concerning the tone of comic book movies. A middle ground works best for me and I also like when these movies embrace their fantasy elements.

http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/2013/08/14/the-tone-of-comic-book-movies-what-should-it-be/

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 4:22:00 PM PDT
I'll reserve judgment on Ben Affleck as Batman until I see the film. Then again, after the gloomy Man of Steel reboot, I'm not so sure I want to see a sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 8:39:22 AM PDT
It certainly seems that way. It seems like some of the worst come out of Gotham whether normal or metahuman.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 7:49:30 AM PDT
Haha. Like Wall Street.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 7:44:03 AM PDT
Tw Walton says:
Maybe in the film's universe Gotham is the centre of all the world's industry and economy, thus all the evil, corruption and inequality of those poorer cities can be traced back to Gotham anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 7:06:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2013 7:07:24 AM PDT
W.T. says:
The comic Ra's has a motivation that did not really make it to the Nolan movies, though much of his personality did. In the comics, Ra's wants to make the world a better place. In his mind he's the good guy. He wants to save the world by violently decreasing the population down to a sustainable level.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 6:55:31 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
No offense taken, and no, I know little to nothing of Batman comics; for me, those were like thirty years ago. I've seen a few Batman GN's, some pretty bad, some pretty good.

But wherever Ras Al Ghul came from, he's not much of a villain in my book. He's just this guy, y'know? His whole peeve with Gotham seems like a stretch. Gotham is the wickedest city ever and needs to be destroyed? Wow, Ras does not get around much, does he? He's like the stern, inflexible Dean in a frat movie, he's going to put Gotham on Double Secret Probation. Kind of a stiff.

I'm just saying that Joker was a lot more twisted fun than the puritanical scold Al Ghul. And Bane? Again, he may be canonically correct, but the whole mask thing just made him mumble all the time.

A parting shot: Tim Burton's movies certainly have their bad points. But, his vision of Gotham City was way more visually interesting than Nolan's. Burton's was more, how do you say, Gothic!

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 5:53:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2013 7:05:04 AM PDT
W.T. says:
Maybe Jennifer Garner will dye her hair and play Silver St. Cloud?
:)

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 5:50:15 AM PDT
Ben Affleck has been cast as Batman in the Man of Steel sequel.

http://www.nbcnews.com/entertainment/holy-casting-news-ben-affleck-play-batman-man-steel-sequel-6C10984418
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  647
Initial post:  Jul 30, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions