Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The Super-Happy Nice Chat Room

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 9:37:11 AM PDT
Hikari says:
>>FOLLOW-UP: I looked it up and apparently it's a joke, although CHACHI is close to the Korean word for male genitalia.

Honto ni? (Really?) Naruhodo. (I should have known.)

In Japanese, 'Chi-chi' refers to female breasts. It can also mean 'father' (different kanji) so that makes things rather interesting.

Korean and Japanese are quite similar languages, so I'm sure 'cha-chi' might mean something risque in Japanese as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 10:09:48 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
I actually have no idea. I liked the story better before reading that it's untrue.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 1:42:02 PM PDT
Hikari: How interesting. Pronounced with a hard ch- or a soft (like shhhhhh) ch-?

The French word chichi (soft ch-) is attested in English from 1908, meaning frilly, inappropriately ornamented, tacky, etc. Perhaps a curious, unlinked linguistic parallel.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 1:59:32 PM PDT
Kacee says:
Where is my lovely W David English? He has disappeared without trace. This could be a case for Sherlock!!

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 2:01:45 PM PDT
Hikari says:
chi-chi---> Hard 'Ch'. Like Chiquita.

The Japanese are fond of assimilating various European words into their vocabulary, but I think chi-chi is indigenous Japanese.

They say 'marron', 'arbeit-o' and a host of others, though.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 2:06:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 2:16:24 PM PDT
Kacee says:
Would anyone like me to put anything funny in our livingroom?

What would you like to see? Are you bored with the same view all the time? Are you bored with our house Hikari?

What about the bedroom, any ideas on how we should decorate?

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 2:28:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 2:34:25 PM PDT
Kacee says:
Is the time in Ohio 5.30 pm, time to finish work? My mistake, you can't be at work, you're chatting on the forums :))

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 2:47:25 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
Maybe they should have called the show "Joanie Loves Man Flesh"?

Read this post quickly before it's deleted.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 2:59:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 3:01:12 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
KinsRock

"I liked the story better before reading it's untrue."

That's true of so many things in life.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 4:26:58 PM PDT
Kacee says:
I try and get decorating ideas from films and tv programmes, and I'm always grateful for suggestions from my forum friends. Anyone want to help with colour schemes? I like neutral colours, magnolia, orchid white.

I think bella and William would probably be good at interior design.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 4:50:19 PM PDT
Kacee says:
Goodnight, so will be closing down and all will be dark, and quiet......... apart from snoring!!! :)

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 7:09:01 PM PDT
K: Re: interior design: on this, as indeed on most matters of aesthetic importance, I have strong views. To start with--I don't use neutrals at all. Instead, I use strong primaries and secondaries and the whitest whites possible. I like pairings like navy and yellow, and reddish-orange and green. My dining room in Chicago was a green somewhere between kelly and forest; my first one in Atlanta, navy with black and gold Chinese toile paper on one access wall; my second one, vermillion and white. Furniture in dark woods. Leather and strongly patterned upholstery. Lots of books. An eclectic mix of art--some Western, some oriental, 18th century architectural prints, my own photos.

I am certain that you would absolutely hate my style--very bold and very masculine.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 7:10:32 PM PDT
Rock N Rolla: You posted one of my all time favorite R.E.M. songs. I feel very happy now :)

Also, I would have to say that Out of Time is certainly my favorite album of theirs.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 12:47:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2012 4:59:20 AM PDT
Kacee says:
William, good morning x

I think you mis-judge me, I quite like the images you have conjured up for me, and I think it sounds nice. Do you have coal/woodburning fires with a grand fireplace?
Natural wood floors with tasteful rugs? Sort of Aztec/ethnic patterns in strong or earthy colours?
Lots of books, sigh, yes, leather bound volumes preferably.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 6:32:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2012 6:33:23 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
Does that one have "Imitation of Life" on it? That's my favorite REM song.

[I answered my own question by looking it up. That song is on the album REVEAL.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 8:02:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2012 8:04:07 AM PDT
Hey, Pastor,

Oh, I know all about R.E.M. pretty well since my wife is a huge fan of theirs. In fact, right on the wall above our computer hangs an R.E.M. poster that's been there for about the last 15 years. She's been a member of their fan club practically since they've had one. T-shirts? Check. Fan Magazines and books? Check. Collector's CDs, DVDs and videos? Check. I think we went to see them live twice? We got the tickets through the fan club, great seats. Out of Time is a great album, but Monster is probably my favorite as that is the one that I think I may have listened to the most? Green is the first album that I can remember ever hearing the band, with their song Orange Crush being featured on the 21 Jump Street show, and Stand being used for the intro theme to Chris Elliott's TV show "Get a Life".

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 8:07:03 AM PDT
The Beatles - Happy Birthday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztoSUhbNntQ

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 8:43:25 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
I saw them in NJ in 1987, with 10,000 Maniacs opening. At that time REM was popular on college campuses, but were not the superstars they became. Their popularity exploded that year.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 9:01:06 AM PDT
K: No earth tones except woods--cherry and mahogany predominantly for the red undertones. (The ugliest color scheme imaginable is the currently trendy brown/blue.) Oriental rugs--geometrics. Strong, saturated primaries and secondaries--red, green, blue, yellow, reddish orange. Rarely khaki. Never, ever, brown or purple. No pastels. White white.

I have a library of well over 6000 books, so it spills into every room. Organized by subject, alphabetized.

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 9:02:52 AM PDT
REM--great band. (Makes U2 look like the pretentious poseurs that they are.)

Stand is a perfect pop artifact.

I've seen them on several club dates.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 9:03:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2012 9:09:06 AM PDT
Yeah, that was the year that their album Document was released which featured their hits "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)", "One I Love", and "Finest Worksong", all of which were played extensively on alternative radio stations for years around that time. I think Document is my wife's favorite album by them if I remember correctly? Honestly, she is really the big R.E.M. fan much more than I am. I like the band but I haven't really given them much play for years now. I still enjoy hearing their hits now and then though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 9:11:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2012 9:23:26 AM PDT
I've never been much of a U2 fan. They have some good songs here and there and I think we may own one or two albums of theirs. I could probably go for a greatest hits of theirs one of these days, but I never really became much of a follower of the band.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 9:21:03 AM PDT
bella7 says:
Hi Rock,

That was me who shared that Chi-Chi's means boobs in Spanish. There used to be a chain of Mexican restaurants with that name. lol

I also liked Stiller in Dodgeball. I watched Ping Pong Playa again this weekend. That movie is SO funny. Have you seen it?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 9:25:15 AM PDT
I liked U2 a lot until Rattle and Hum. Then they went one way musically, and I went another.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 9:32:09 AM PDT
Hello, Bella...

My In-Laws own a cat named Chi-Chi, I never told them what it means yet. Hikari says that it also refers to breasts in Japanese. Ha!

I've never seen Ping Pong Playa but will soon have to because it looks like my kind of movie.

Of course I know that you've already seen another ping pong comedy titled Balls of Fury but for those who haven't yet and who enjoy a good silly comedy than I can't recommend it enough.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  1676
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions